Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Regarding the question of why the evil bomber characters act as mid-bosses, that's the typical structure for Bomberman games. Usually the enemy Bombers will show up either midway through a world, or as the first form for the main bossfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I've had this game since I was a kid, and I've got three full 120 Gold Card save files on it along with all the costume parts.

I don't know how kid me did it, I don't want to know, and I don't want to try recreating it because I DO remember how loving much bomb stairs are a bullshit thing and I hate them. Godspeed, Thorn.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember this game and while baseline it's rough it's also pretty fun to play and pretty memorable (more than Redial The Game IMO.)

Once you go for all gold cards and realize the crazy bomb jumps/hijinks you have to go through to get them though :suicide:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
This game and its sequel (Bomberman 64 2 the Second Attack) were such huge parts of my childhood. Loved both (hope you somehow wind up doing that one too) and and Nthing the love for the music in this game.

And, yeah, the multiplayer is still a blast.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 3 - Red Mountain

The peaks and troughs of the game get less distinct.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
You can hit Orion in the robot with a regular bomb and it won't kill him, I'm pretty sure. I recall getting that card before the card for the robot's hat, at least.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I always hated Red Mountain. I'm not a huge fan of volcano levels to begin with, but the fact that it's basically less a volcano area at times and more a large series of narrow bridges twisting and curving around an area with no guardrails anywhere really never did it any favors. It's also probably my least favorite area music of the game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I remember having way more fun with the multiplayer in this game way more than the single player when it came out. Like sure i'd run around and mess with the enemies but i honestly remember playing the multiplayer and everybody freaking out when the HURRY UP voice came on screen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 4 - White Glacier

Wind walls, slippery ice physics, and giant spiders. This world should be worse than it is.

Also the Second Attack footage donation fell through, so that's still open for anyone else to record themselves or take up the LP mantle.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 24, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So this seems like a good place to talk about how Bomberman is coming to Smash 4, because I think all words, both positive and negative, about Bomberman 64 have been exhausted.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Bomberman isn't coming to smash though. More than likely Shantae will be in. Hopefully Wolf and Krystal, but I can't see Bomberman ever making it in.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Zain posted:

Bomberman isn't coming to smash though. More than likely Shantae will be in. Hopefully Wolf and Krystal, but I can't see Bomberman ever making it in.

Hahaha me confusing the Nintendo of Florida twitter account for the Nintendo of America account because I only really look at avatars and don't bother looking at names.

I'll be over in the corner shooting myself now.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

kalonZombie posted:

Look on the bright side, you're gonna get to meet Bomberman in person now!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I remember this commercial getting quite a bit of airplay when the game came out in 1997, and I think I posted it in the last megathread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqX_uuT6cMw

While looking for that I also came across this really weird ad for The Second Attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPPRfcgRU2E

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Robert Denby posted:

I remember this commercial getting quite a bit of airplay when the game came out in 1997, and I think I posted it in the last megathread.

I like that the lyrics are less clunky than the original.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Robert Denby posted:

While looking for that I also came across this really weird ad for The Second Attack.

I don't think that Second Attack ad is any weirder than that old Smash Bros one where they got people in suits to fight each other. It's just weird in a Japanese sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't think that Second Attack ad is any weirder than that old Smash Bros one where they got people in suits to fight each other. It's just weird in a Japanese sense.

This one? I'm pretty sure that's 100% a US production, and isn't nearly as weird as some guy's head turned into a bomb and slowly rolling towards a hole while chanting "Bomberman 2"

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Robert Denby posted:

The first commercial is basically the only reason I got Bomberman 64, which was also my first Bomberman game. I was familiar with the games seeing them on shelves and in ads, but hadn't played one before. My grandma got me War Gods for Christmas and when my mom saw the M rating we went out to exchange it and I said I wanted Bomberman.

Super :negative: about the loss of Second Attack though. Hope someone else steps up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay, I'm gonna go and play devil's advocate for this game now

-As you can tell from the speed run takes, most of the levels are pretty painless to get through without looking for collectibles
-Most of the gold cards aren't hidden that obtusely. The first level is the most bullshit they really get in the main game and I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose so that you'd revisit the level to train yourself in bomb jump fuckery. Otherwise you can mostly get them just by thoroughly exploring the levels. Honestly, getting 100 gold cards really isn't at all an insurmountable task.
-The costume parts though are indeed bullshit but they are optional and literally do nothing so really, gently caress them, who cares? Hard mode does put some of the gold cards where the costumes used to be though because hard mode is kinda dumb, but it also isn't unlocked at the beginning of the game so you won't accidentally have to put up with it.
-The mini-boss battles are really fun, even if they're pretty simple and easy. They have that charm of being a battle against an enemy that mostly plays by the same rules as you, albeit with an extra special attack or two. Later Bomberman bosses all tend to be big and slow fellas with overly scripted patterns and set points where they're vulnerable, so it's nice to have these fights that feel a bit more dynamic.
-The level design is generally a lot more open-ended than future 3D Bombermans. There's usually more than one way to reach your goal and a ton of optional areas to explore, and areas like Red Mountain 3 do a nice job at using vertical space to make the level feel like a connected three-dimensional whole, rather than a linear path. It's far from perfect, but I find the levels genuinely fun to run around in, way more than slogging through overly-long levels like in Jetters that just feel like a bunch of isolated paths strung together. Falling off narrow ledges is annoying but I'd rather have the freedom to fail but also be able to drop off a ledge to a lower ledge to skip part of a level then be so tightly restrained to the set path.
-Bomb jumping puzzles are, for the most part, a lot more simple than they seem at first glance. At least, the ones you need to beat the game are. People have a tendency to over think these, but a lot of the time the solution is just something simple like "kick a small bomb here, then kick another small bomb next to it". There's one puzzle in particular that I've seen like a million different convoluted solutions for by different people, but the real best way to do it is ridiculously simple and I have no idea why anyone would ever do it another way. Also, throwing big bombs precisely is a lot easier if you change the control settings so that throwing is based on how long you hold the b button, rather than how far you push the analog stick.
-The music is rad as hell.
-The gold card requirements on giant bosses make them feel a lot more engaging than just rushing through the battle normally. I mean, dismantling Orion's giant robot piece by piece and then shoving a bomb into the cockpit is just so drat satisfying
-Bomberman has the most adorable voice ever in this game.

These are just opinions though, informed opinions possibly tainted by nostalgia and/or stockholm syndrome, but opinions nonetheless

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 25, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

kalonZombie posted:

Hahaha me confusing the Nintendo of Florida twitter account for the Nintendo of America account because I only really look at avatars and don't bother looking at names.

It's okay, I've done something similar with that. so you're not alone.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Augus posted:

Okay, I'm gonna go and play devil's advocate for this game now

-As you can tell from the speed run takes, most of the levels are pretty painless to get through without looking for collectibles
-Most of the gold cards aren't hidden that obtusely. The first level is the most bullshit they really get in the main game and I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose so that you'd revisit the level to train yourself in bomb jump fuckery. Otherwise you can mostly get them just by thoroughly exploring the levels. Honestly, getting 100 gold cards really isn't at all an insurmountable task.
-The costume parts though are indeed bullshit but they are optional and literally do nothing so really, gently caress them, who cares? Hard mode does put some of the gold cards where the costumes used to be though because hard mode is kinda dumb, but it also isn't unlocked at the beginning of the game so you won't accidentally have to put up with it.
-The mini-boss battles are really fun, even if they're pretty simple and easy. They have that charm of being a battle against an enemy that mostly plays by the same rules as you, albeit with an extra special attack or two. Later Bomberman bosses all tend to be big and slow fellas with overly scripted patterns and set points where they're vulnerable, so it's nice to have these fights that feel a bit more dynamic.
-The level design is generally a lot more open-ended than future 3D Bombermans. There's usually more than one way to reach your goal and a ton of optional areas to explore, and areas like Red Mountain 3 do a nice job at using vertical space to make the level feel like a connected three-dimensional whole, rather than a linear path. It's far from perfect, but I find the levels genuinely fun to run around in, way more than slogging through overly-long levels like in Jetters that just feel like a bunch of isolated paths strung together. Falling off narrow ledges is annoying but I'd rather have the freedom to fail but also be able to drop off a ledge to a lower ledge to skip part of a level then be so tightly restrained to the set path.
-Bomb jumping puzzles are, for the most part, a lot more simple than they seem at first glance. At least, the ones you need to beat the game are. People have a tendency to over think these, but a lot of the time the solution is just something simple like "kick a small bomb here, then kick another small bomb next to it". There's one puzzle in particular that I've seen like a million different convoluted solutions for by different people, but the real best way to do it is ridiculously simple and I have no idea why anyone would ever do it another way. Also, throwing big bombs precisely is a lot easier if you change the control settings so that throwing is based on how long you hold the b button, rather than how far you push the analog stick.
-The music is rad as hell.
-The gold card requirements on giant bosses make them feel a lot more engaging than just rushing through the battle normally. I mean, dismantling Orion's giant robot piece by piece and then shoving a bomb into the cockpit is just so drat satisfying
-Bomberman has the most adorable voice ever in this game.

These are just opinions though, informed opinions possibly tainted by nostalgia and/or stockholm syndrome, but opinions nonetheless

Nah you're right, all three of the N64 Bombermen are cool and fun

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
You know, I can't recall if I've ever actually played a Bomberman game. I think I might have possibly rented one of the N64 games, but I'll be damned if I remember any details.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I figured out last night the way they wanted you to set up the bombs to bounce into the teleporter in Green 3, and it's about as stupid as what you actually did.

Also, Black 2 is astoundingly poorly designed.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...

frozentreasure posted:

Also, Black 2 is astoundingly poorly designed.

That whole level is a poo poo show. I loved this game when I was younger, and every playthrough after the first was like "ugh, alright here we go..."

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

K-ParAdoX posted:

That whole level is a poo poo show. I loved this game when I was younger, and every playthrough after the first was like "ugh, alright here we go..."

I got a second-hand cart that had about a third of the cards a few months ago and went and collected the rest when I saw the LP start, finishing (the standard 100 cards) today; Black 3 is actually really good and inventive.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 5 - Black Fortress

Not a terrible set of levels in hindsight maybe, but a motherfucker pair of bosses. See what happens when 100 gold cards are acquired.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Rainbow Resort kinda looks like Kami's palace from Dragonball?

Otherwise no I have no idea what it is.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Oh please, someone who knows how to make gifs, please make one of that moment with Alta'ir.

I was never able to make it past the first room in Rainbow Palace. It requires bomb stuffery that I never figured out. I'm interested in knowing if I missed something amazingly obvious and simple or something amazingly obtuse and stupid.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The final gold card against Altair is for beating him without throwing him off the edge.

Also, Thorn, you know you can stop bomb kicks by pressing R, right? A lot of the throws you do to set up bomb hops I found simpler by just using kicks. Granted, throws mean you don't have to wonder whether you'll bounce far enough.

Word on the Wind posted:

I'm interested in knowing if I missed something amazingly obvious and simple or something amazingly obtuse and stupid.

The answer is yes.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

frozentreasure posted:

Also, Thorn, you know you can stop bomb kicks by pressing R, right? A lot of the throws you do to set up bomb hops I found simpler by just using kicks. Granted, throws mean you don't have to wonder whether you'll bounce far enough.

Yeah I found throwing the bombs gives me a more tactile idea of where the bombs will go and where I'll bounce.

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

When I played this game as a kid I always threw Altair off the edge, because I thought it was funny, and I always thought he said "You pig!" when he was flying off. I had no idea he was supposed to be saying "You'll pay!"
I figured that was his way of insulting me for cheesing the fight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Black 2 boss battle I never found to be that terrible. He's really aggressive compared to the other bosses but all his attacks can be reliably dealt with. I think it's a pretty fun fight all-around.

Altair's a motherfucker though. The teleport spam makes actually hitting him pretty drat tedious, and I would consistently run the clock out trying to get his gold cards.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

I should really get drawing already. So many hilarious moments in this Let's Play they need comics.
The final boss had me in tears.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Does it say something about me that picking Altair up and throwing him off is actually my preferred way of killing him?

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

Derek Barona posted:

Does it say something about me that picking Altair up and throwing him off is actually my preferred way of killing him?

That's how I would always kill him. He stays stunned for way longer than anyone else.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Thorn got this earlier on Tumblr, but I figured it should be on the megathread for the occasion.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 6 - Rainbow Palace

The secret final world of Bomberman 64.

Stay tuned for Saturn Bomberman, my personal favourite of the franchise.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This game was terrible. It makes me feel better about enjoying Bomberman Generation even if your LP of it made it seem kind of lackluster in retrospect. Thanks for suffering through it to show it off to us!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I get that Thorn was burnt out on the game by now, but there's a lot of stuff you glossed over with the Rainbow stages.

Rainbow 1's mandatory bomb puzzle is easily solved using the same 2-bomb system that you use in Rainbow 3. Rainbow 1 is actually the shortest level in the game once you realize that.
The other 2 Gold cards on the other hand...well they're special. I'll let this video running the game on a crappy PC speak for itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZGnx2ljnKo&t=210s
Yeah that's some hot bullshit right there. A long chain of elaborate bomb puzzles over bottomless pits. If you gently caress up once you're dead and if you die 3 times you need to start over completely. In comparison the custom parts for that level are pretty tame, for a change.

Rainbow 2's boss has a ton of stuff going on, and the Gold Cards are pretty involved.
  • Gold Card 1 is the freebie you get at the beginning of the fight. You lose it if you take any of the items he gives you though, so getting the Gold Cards means fighting him the old fashioned way with no remote bombs.
  • Card 2 involves blowing a big bomb in his head. You need to throw a bomb through his cape, which will make him disappear, retreat across the room, and poke his head out of the ground. After a few seconds he'll dash away from you. You need to throw a big bomb at the ground and then kinda trick him into running into it. It's not very easy.
  • Card 3 requires you to wait for him to use the attack where he tries to grab you with a shadowy hand. You need to drop a bomb and trick him into grabbing it so it explodes. There's a fair bit of RNG involved in him using the attack in the first place, so this can be a pain in the rear end.
  • Card 4 requires you to burn his cape. Pretty sure you just do this the same way as Card 2, it's kinda weird.
  • Card 5 requires you to do all of the above under the target time, and that's terrible.

On the bright side, the actual hitbox for Spellmaker is his shadow, not the body itself. So actually killing him is easier than it seems at first by just manipulating his habit of running away whenever you get close.
Here's a video of some dude doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sH86u8_SZI
I like this fight for how many attacks the dude has, but getting the Gold Cards just involves a ton of trial and error that isn't very fun

Rainbow 3 you already showed off pretty much everything. The custom parts are annoying to get and not worth anybody's time. I'm pretty sure there's an easier way to get to the switches on the left side of the room but whatever. :effort:

Sirius's Gold Cards are as follows
  • Card 1 you need to beat his first form in the target time. You can beat this phase with regular bombs but he he spends so much time flying and shooting lasers that the only real way to beat him in the time limit is to knock him off the stage like Thorn did. The rest of the cards are all in his second form
  • Card 2, just bounce a pumped up bomb off his head. It's easy to do this if you just catch him after his laser attack
  • Card 3 Catch him in pumped up explosion. Standard stuff
  • Card 4 is keeping Regulus alive. Toss him a heart every now and then and it shouldn't be hard to do this
  • Card 5 is target time as usual

I actually really like this boss fight just for how chaotic it is. You've got Regulus and Sirius spamming bombs everywhere, blowing themselves up, Sirius dashing around and shooting lasers, the AI freaking out and running back and forth, the system chugging and struggling to process all the explosions all over the place, hearts flying everywhere as everybody takes damage constantly. It's really fun in a mindless way. Also the music is rad as gently caress

Anyway, your reward for getting all 120 Gold Cards is Full Power mode, which lets you start every level with maxed out remote hyper bombs. It's fun to mess around with, but probably not worth the effort of getting those last 20 cards. I'lll maintain though that these were way better prizes for getting all of the collectibles than any of Bomberman Hero's unlockable bullshit and way less stupid to get.
Oh yeah you also unlock 4 new multiplayer stages, which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Word on the Wind posted:

Oh please, someone who knows how to make gifs, please make one of that moment with Alta'ir.

A little late. Still not all that good at making 'em.

• Locked thread