Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Part 4

/ ! \ IMPORTANT / ! \

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

asakura bae

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man who had this one as an avatar?

Text was like:
"Hey guys, what's going on in this thr-- "

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A hero, most likely.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
And the little alien girl never remade her glasses after that day, even though she totally could have at any time.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Good stuff. And in the extended universe (or whatever you'd call it) I really like that Asakura is more or less the MVP of both -chan series.

So why does Haruhi kind of freak out when Kyon wakes up? Because she's been hovering over him... doing what exactly? Taking pictures? At least he's too dumb to figure it out.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Agronox posted:

Good stuff. And in the extended universe (or whatever you'd call it) I really like that Asakura is more or less the MVP of both -chan series.

So why does Haruhi kind of freak out when Kyon wakes up? Because she's been hovering over him... doing what exactly? Taking pictures? At least he's too dumb to figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evBtz88wcnA&t=274s

only watch from the time the link takes you to the end btw

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 27, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

I'm pretty sure she had just put her cardigan over him like a blankie and didn't want to be caught being such a sap.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Thank you..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm pretty sure she had just put her cardigan over him like a blankie and didn't want to be caught being such a sap.

That and she has a camera on the table next to him. Think back to Remote Island syndrome, not the first time she's taken pictures of sleepy Kyon

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

This little scene doesn't get enough love. :allears:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

a kitten posted:

Man who had this one as an avatar?

Text was like:
"Hey guys, what's going on in this thr-- "
Hi

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was a very good avatar!

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

In Training posted:

Someday in the Rain

My favorite scene in the whole show. That whole episode is just so quiet and weird. And ends with Haruhi crushin' hard on Kyon. The next two eps are a killer pair, though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

a kitten posted:

That was a very good avatar!
Thanks. I would've kept it longer but then Minoru had to give an even better performance in Lucky Star.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Command Ant posted:

This little scene doesn't get enough love. :allears:

I don't have the screen with me but we first met these two in a wide shot in Melancholy 1 while Haruhi talks about love as a form of mental illness

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Iol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ryoko raised an interesting question: what would Haruhi do if Kyon died? Could she bring him back?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ryoko raised an interesting question: what would Haruhi do if Kyon died? Could she bring him back?

we definitely don't know yet but it's not a bad thing to keep in mind

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

There are so many great scenes in both that episode and the rest of the show, but that under the tree scene is wonderful

Someone in YCS had a gif of Haruhi throwing the grass in their sig, and that's what originally compelled me to watch the show.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

This show is...really good. It sort of reminds me of Evangelion - not in its tone, this is obviously nowhere near as nihilistic as Eva - but in the sense that it's actively loving with the audience and playing around with the form of what it's trying to do while also indulging in and providing some really masterful execution of exactly the sort of stuff it's trying to do. Only with High School hijinks instead of Giant Robot fights.

And goddamn, the last few episodes have just been so well shot and animated, especially for a show from 2006.

You are now in the correct frame of mind for Endless Eight.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

You are now in the correct frame of mind for Endless Eight.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah one thing eva and haruhi share is loving audacity

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

if you're not getting death threats you're not doing your job right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

yeah one thing eva and haruhi share is loving audacity

Absolutely. It takes some serious gumption to pull off something like Endless Eight and 25/26.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Both shows also completely baffle me in their insane popularity considering their art-house film level of experimental design. Of course they're not like, purely aesthetic films or anything like that, but they're strange enough that their continued success is fascinating. Especially the Rebuild project.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah it helps when your high concept stuff is floating thru a goldmine of massively appealing characters and designs - but that makes it sound too easy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Both series contain enough aspects that appeal to the more mainstream audience along side their more arty sensibilities. That makes it more amusing when they let the other side take over as in Endless Eight, episode 25/26 and I would add Rebuild 3 to that as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. Rebuild 3 was number one or two at the Japanese box office in 2013. That's loving crazy!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well it was #6. I'm probably thinking it was #1 on release weekend

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah and I think I remember that all told eva and its merchandise has made like billions (measured in usd not yen). totally nuts. Bring on the Eva simulwatch

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 27, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

yeah and I think I remember that all told eva and its merchandise has made like billions (measured in usd not yen). totally nuts. Bring on the Eva simulwatch

They brand anything they can with Eva.. razors, tents, humidifiers.. Hakone's tourism industry was dedicated to it for a period of time if it isn't still. Its really cool and I want all of it

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

dailydares posted:

I want all of it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I went to Hakone a few years ago and one of the gift shops sold Evangelion branded watermelon manjuu (steamed buns) with Kaji's face all over the display.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know of any cool instrumental versions or remixes of the OP?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dailydares posted:

They brand anything they can with Eva.. razors, tents, humidifiers.. Hakone's tourism industry was dedicated to it for a period of time if it isn't still. Its really cool and I want all of it

This year was the year the events of Eva took place and I think I remember reading that Hakone streets filled with people on the fateful day Misato picked up Shinji from the phone booth...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anyone know of any cool instrumental versions or remixes of the OP?

I don't know about the op but kyon's version of the ed is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Just got done watching Someday in the Rain. The shot where Kyon shifts the box in his arms briefly is a nice bit of realism in a pretty naturally animated sequence. I also appreciate the quiet, peaceful atmosphere.

• Locked thread