Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ciri is the built in new protagonist that takes over for Geralt

sure, but you could just as easily introduce a new protag from a different school that crosses paths with Ciri/everyone.

That's really probably the biggest asset of this big huge million character noir fantasy crazy as all hell story. There's so much going on and its all interesting, you can p much do whatever and tie back any of the characters. that're alive anyway ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why would you not use Ciri? She's cool and totally natural as a new protagonist. She has enough built in backstory to have a groundwork, but at the same time she's still young and can change, and allows for lots of new stories to be told. She also still has one or two not completely resolved book plothooks (Especially in regards to Falka).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Well I mean the combat would basically not exist, considering Ciri could've probably sneezed and killed people by the end.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think we can assume that combat mechanics designed to carry an entire game would work differently than ones designed for a short interlude.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

Well I mean the combat would basically not exist, considering Ciri could've probably sneezed and killed people by the end.

Yeah, i thoroughly enjoyed the ciri parts where she's just OP as all gently caress. It was loving badass but i dont want to do that for a 100 hours.

also Ciri is now an empress so why the gently caress is she gonna be running around in a swamp chopping off water hag heads :confused:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Her abilities are vaguely defined enough that could easily be handwaved away. It's not like Geralt doesn't change a bunch between games already.

The Empress ending is dumb and you should feel bad for picking it. :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciri has to be powerful because she can't use potions, heal, level up, change equipment, gain skills, etc. If they made her the main player character, she'd be balanced for it. It's silly to hold that as a reason she couldn't be the main character in the next game.

The Sharmat posted:

The Empress ending is dumb and you should feel bad for picking it. :colbert:

This is also true

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

im not against a Ciri sequel/prequel one bit. Ciri owns loving bones. but they have plenty of room to go in a number of directions which is why this game and story are so loving good

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
A Ciri prequel would either be in a totally different universe or very unpleasant to watch and play. She does not have a fun time of it, in the books. And she does some pretty horrible things.

It'd have to be a sequel really.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They could try to fill in the time between the end of the books and the beginning of TW1 with a Ciri prequel, I suppose. That'd have to take you to a bunch of different worlds and environments, which could be cool if done right.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

A Ciri prequel would either be in a totally different universe or very unpleasant to watch and play. She does not have a fun time of it, in the books. And she does some pretty horrible things.

It'd have to be a sequel really.

i havnt read the books (i think im gonna) but so yeah if going backwards doesnt make sense going forward doesnt really either. is she gonna ~lose her powers~

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She doesn't have to for the game to be interesting or good? It'd be more interesting if anything, because she'd have way more options in combat than Geralt. I don't get what you're on about here.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

They could try to fill in the time between the end of the books and the beginning of TW1 with a Ciri prequel, I suppose. That'd have to take you to a bunch of different worlds and environments, which could be cool if done right.

If it's not in the same setting and all it shares is one (or maybe two, with Avallac'h) characters, is it still a Witcher game?

poopzilla posted:

i havnt read the books (i think im gonna) but so yeah if going backwards doesnt make sense going forward doesnt really either.

How does that follow?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

How does that follow?

you seem to have missed the end of my post

poopzilla posted:

is she gonna ~lose her powers~

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't see how it was connected to the rest of the post. Why would she?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All I know is that I really, really, really reallyreallyreallly want info on the expansion DLCs. Because I want more Geralt sassing people.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I just want more gwent

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cirosan posted:

I finally found the time to go back and replay the earlier Witcher games, and I have to say there's a surprising amount of foreshadowing and thematic connections bridging the first game in the series to the last. You'd be surprised just how many of the events of TW3 were foretold way back in TW1's Temeria. So being the friendless loser that I am, I decided to sit down for an evening and make a list of all the connections - narrative, symbolic, and thematic - that connect TW1 to TW3.

This is an awesome post. Especially the fraternal assistance explanation.

The Sharmat posted:

Probably easiest just to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDm3AqmVUKk

It's all of Geralt's flashbacks as he gradually recovers his memory in TW2.

This just proves Letho is hardcore as gently caress, surviving that monster strike. :colbert:

Yardbomb posted:

Viper school :getin:

:hfive:

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't see how it was connected to the rest of the post. Why would she?

because her ~mysteriously~ losing her powers makes as much sense as retconing her whole prequel life

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
But why would you do either when you can just have a sequel where all that already happened and she still has the powers that would be the basis for new game mechanics?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poopzilla posted:

because her ~mysteriously~ losing her powers makes as much sense as retconing her whole prequel life

I agree that you would have to take the combat out of the game or have it very sparse at least. Because having an enemy more powerful than Ciri doesn't make sense from a lore perspective. So either it would be a hoard combat game where Ciri is literally killing entire armies by herself or it would be a game without combat because her powers essentially make her a walking god in the Witcher world. So in that case you would have to change the world or take away her powers, but as you've pointed out that would be dumb too. Ironically having a ruling sim with Empress Ciri would make more sense, that way you could still present a challenge (unseen political enemies, ruling your populace) that couldn't be tackled with her op powers.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

But why would you do either when you can just have a sequel where all that already happened and she still has the powers that would be the basis for new game mechanics?

Well, she's pretty much established in this game as being OP in this realm and apparently all others. so that means she needs to start fighting.. ultra mecha drowners or??

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Or you could just fudge it a bit and not take the one-hit KO part from one segment at the end of TW3 as typical of her.

I mean Geralt can beat a dragon in combat at the end of TW2 and at the start of TW3 I was getting my rear end kicked by random wolves.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Make the sequel with you playing as Letho rebuilding the viper school.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Make the sequel with you playing as Letho rebuilding the viper school.

hell yea

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Letho can't rebuild the Viper School. That's kind of the point of his appearance in TW3.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can new Witchers even be made?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

A game that is just Geralt killing poo poo pre-books would be pretty cool. Or a game that is literally just the books(which would be less combat heavy and non-open world I guess).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just gonna say it: I've played Geralt for 3 games now. I want to see something different in a protagonist from these guys.

FauxGateau posted:

Can new Witchers even be made?

No one knows how to do it, no.

In theory, with a lot of resources, experimentation, and magical research, sure. But where's Letho gonna get that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciri's not even supposed to be incredibly overpowered or whatever. That weird whatever it is thing she does in act 2 is the only thing that's particularly out of the norm, and I don't see why even that couldn't just be a regular AoE skill like a mage would get in another game. She'd just be Geralt but with bigger and better magic options. I really don't understand how this would stop them from coming up with interesting mechanics for her as the player character.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She has time and space bullshit.

That is a recipe for cool gameplay mechanics as an alternative to potions and traps and other Witcher stuff she can't use.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

I'm just gonna say it: I've played Geralt for 3 games now. I want to see something different in a protagonist from these guys.

In theory, with a lot of resources, experimentation, and magical research, sure. But where's Letho gonna get that?

During the Witcher IV: Letho's Quest to Crack Skulls

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

She has time and space bullshit.

That is a recipe for cool gameplay mechanics as an alternative to potions and traps and other Witcher stuff she can't use.

Yeah. Hell, she could do weird time travel stuff or go back and forth between the Aen Elle world and her own freely. It opens a lot of options for the setting and story. They could do a lot of cool things with Ciri if they decided to use her. They may not, but the way her arc ends in the Witcher ending seems like a great lead in for her own adventures.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If they don't use her I'll honestly be annoyed. I'd feel like it was a bait and switch. Like Iorveth not appearing in this game. I'm still bitter

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

poopzilla posted:

sure, but you could just as easily introduce a new protag from a different school that crosses paths with Ciri/everyone.

I've only played TW3 but it gave the impression that Witchers are very rare these days and the other schools are about as decrepit as the Wolf school. It's a dying profession.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

The next game will be called The Witchers and will feature co-op play with Lambert and Eskel.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Turns out Letho knows how to do it all along, but never said anything because no one asked! :v:

All he needed from Emhyr was some land and cash to physically build the Viper school.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Geralt about to whip out his deck

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

alex314 posted:

Regarding Ciri taking Nilfgaard throne: remember it's fantasy feudal non-Europe, so your bloodline is very important. Rulers of noble blood will talk only with other rulers, and Vorhees' people may be rich and powerful but I imagine all those kingdoms have at least one family that can equal to them, for example old royal family that was taken one step down in the ladder when Emhyr took them over.

Now let's look at Ciri's family tree:

Elves, Skelligers, ruling families of most of Northern Kingdoms. Her grandmother is beloved Queen Calanthe 'Lioness of Cintra'. Add the connections Emhyr's family has and she's a perfect candidate even if noone knows she saved the world, or she has a hot temper.

Remember that bookwise, Ciri's creation was basically a carefully planned and controlled event. Mages played god, knit romances out of magic and potions, and manipulated the course of history to create Ciri and her elder blood

When Ciri asks Yen about whether she had a hand in it, Yen seems pained that although she didn't (I don't believe), she clearly knew it was occurring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sunning posted:

CD Projekt released a half-year report with new information, including a sales update for The Witcher 3: https://www.cdprojekt.com/resources/document/okresowe/2Q2015_Summary_of_Consolidated_Reports_of_CDP_SA_eng.pdf

"Over the six-week period following the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (i.e. until 30 June 2015), 6 014 576 copies of the game were sold. "

Outside of Bethesda games, this would make it one of the better selling WRPGs in recent memory. In fact, it seems to be outperforming Bioware RPGs going off the sales figures provided by EA. It's very impressive, especially for the short time frame and being a self-published game.

DRM free, too. That is amazing, I'm so glad for them.