Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
buzz-bee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
buzz-b (hard stop).

fun times my username is actually pronounced "ets-kho" since it's polish.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Americans sure love their zeds.

maybe i'm... a sibilant s as in 'bus'!

also arsssiina i don't know what that is

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Working on a spreadsheet to help me set up role madness games. I was tired of going through various wikis to find roles. Specifically wanted a way to organize roles by their type to better fit niches needed in a setup. It's pretty useful as a general role repository though so I thought I'd share it.

I was originally going to make a wiki since most of us don't have access to edit the SA Mafia wiki, but a spreadsheet is all I really needed.

If you have any suggestions I'm always looking for interesting things to add to it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Asiina posted:

Guys join my game. I'm not even in any games right now join mine so I have something to do.

No, because you killed me and are a horrible person and made me sad.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Met posted:

Working on a spreadsheet to help me set up role madness games. I was tired of going through various wikis to find roles. Specifically wanted a way to organize roles by their type to better fit niches needed in a setup. It's pretty useful as a general role repository though so I thought I'd share it.

I was originally going to make a wiki since most of us don't have access to edit the SA Mafia wiki, but a spreadsheet is all I really needed.

If you have any suggestions I'm always looking for interesting things to add to it.

My suggestion (which is Correct) is that you should cut out 3/4 of the roles you've got, and make them vanilla instead.

Bam - you have a good game setup.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

busb posted:

My suggestion (which is Correct) is that you should cut out 3/4 of the roles you've got, and make them vanilla instead.

Don't play my games.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Met posted:

Death Miller - Miller that flips as scum
Reverse Death Miller - Godfather that flips as town.

Arsonist - kills anyone who targets their target, plus their target if their target performs no action.

Martyr - Wins if they die.

Modifiers
Brutal - Also kills, context specific. A brutal Cop kills if they get a SCUM result, for instance.
Weak - dies if they target scum

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Amoeba102 posted:

Death Miller - Miller that flips as scum
Reverse Death Miller - Godfather that flips as town.

Arsonist - kills anyone who targets their target, plus their target if their target performs no action.

Martyr - Wins if they die.

Modifiers
Brutal - Also kills, context specific. A brutal Cop kills if they get a SCUM result, for instance.
Weak - dies if they target scum

Miller already included. If it's a minor change to something already on the list, it really doesn't need a new line.

That's not an Arsonist. Looks like the Mass Murderer or Werewolf.

Martyr is just an easy mode Jester.

Brutal sounds like a good addition. I don't now about Weak though. It's not something I've seen and doesn't seem particularly fun.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

busb posted:

This goes for most setups but Our Fair Community oscillates back and forth between role fetishism and vanilla fetishism, just give it a few months, I think the swing is starting to wind down.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You have millers, not death millers!

Weak is used with Doctor mostly, so they protect someone but die if they target scum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oh and Martyr has to get NK'd.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

hello

until i was like 20 i pronounced windings as win-dings when talking about the font, and whine-dings when talking about unnecessary curvatures

mafia thread what word mis-pronunciation are you most embarrassed about

Dachshund is my most memorable one. I guess it's supposed be something like 'dox-hund', but I used always say 'dush-shund'. But that's German. I had several others since I would read a lot of old books when I was younger featuring lots of words that no one would ever say and I'd come out with them sometimes unaware of their pronunciation. I say quay as "kay' and I have an Irish friend who swears to me I'm wrong and it's 'key', like the object. I that that's just a matter of accent/hiberno english, since we've had other words we differ on.

I have a lot more glaring ones in French, but that's a bitch of a language to pronounce sometimes. The word 'Tabac", short for Tabaquerie (place that sells cigarettes and other products) is pronounced 'Tah-bah' more or less and I would always finish it with a hard C, what's worse the French would have absolutely no idea what I was trying to say at all. English speakers, probably because there are a lot more foreigners speaking the language, have a much larger margin of error and are able to understand most mis-pronounced words, but most of my friends and acquaintances here do not really have that leeway.

Asiina posted:

My step-father would pronounce the A in theatre.

I said the last syllable as 'tre' for like two hours when I first encountered it.

Magnus Gallant posted:

They have an alphabet for how you're supposed to pronounce things:

I would love to learn the phonetic alphabet, it seems like it'd be incredibly useful to know. However, it falls into the category of things like writing with my left hand and learning how to speed-read that I think I'd like to do/enjoy doing but seem like more effort than am willing to make. Perhaps one day when I retire. Who knows?

busb posted:

The real question is how people pronounce my name, i've heard so many variations it's great

I say it with a sibilant s and a short b. Like saying 'bub' but with an s in the middle. "busb.'

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Amoeba102 posted:

You have millers, not death millers!

Weak is used with Doctor mostly, so they protect someone but die if they target scum.

Made an edit to the post about millers.

I added it to the list. It's not something I would use but it's not something I don't think belongs in Mafia. Sort of how a Silencer is pretty lovely in forum mafia but works pretty well in quick Mafia games like Town of Salem.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

EccoRaven posted:

This goes for most setups but Our Fair Community oscillates back and forth between role fetishism and vanilla fetishism, just give it a few months, I think the swing is starting to wind down.

nearly every game here or auspol for the last 6 months or so has seemed to be role madness/cyor or something similar. If you are making role heavy games make it not mafia instead imo, having mafia games won by role/night actions alone is boring.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

buzz-b (hard stop).

fun times my username is actually pronounced "ets-kho" since it's polish.

I've called you 'Ecs' like 'Ex" in my head, for short at times.

Actually usually when I don't know how to pronounce a word I tend to do say at first in Spanish, since the vowel sounds are so static it makes it easier to say. That's probably where most of my mistakes arise.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Buzb

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Nexus - redirects all actions against it to random players.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

busb posted:

nearly every game here or auspol for the last 6 months or so has seemed to be role madness/cyor or something similar. If you are making role heavy games make it not mafia instead imo, having mafia games won by role/night actions alone is boring.

Then don't play Role Madness games. If the host makes role madness games without calling them Role Madness, don't play games by that host.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 27, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Amoeba102 posted:

Nexus - redirects all actions against it to random players.

I don't include anything random on principle. All actions are decided by the players after the game starts.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Nexus chooses to activate it in some games. But hey it says roles not actions.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You have thief and Surgeon as requiring more info.
Thief steals items.
Surgeon I think kills their target if they weren't getting killed. I think it's also called CPR Doc.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The first week of school is crazy but I am having a lot of fun teaching again this year, Mafia Thread. I have very nice kids, really talented choirs at all three levels, and I am really enjoying teaching AP Music Theory after basically learning Music Theory through teaching it last year :v:

I probably won't have time for more than one or two games over the course of the school year which I will pick very carefully as I finish up the ones I am in but know that you guys are in my heart and I will post here frequently <3

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

busb posted:

Americans sure love their zeds.

Americans don't know what a zed is.

rather

iz

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't know if you realised but the way you pronounce Rarity is "Ah-MAYSE-ihng"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

Surgeon I think kills their target if they weren't getting killed. I think it's also called CPR Doc.

That's Brutal Doctor.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I think Brutal Doctor only kills if they target Scum

CPR Doc/Surgeon kills the target if the target isn't also targeted by a kill

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No I played a Brutal Doctor once and it was the second one.

I think I killed you, Kumba.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also if you wanted an appropriate name it would be Defibrillator, since that's what will kill you if you're not already dying.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

mafia thread what word mis-pronunciation are you most embarrassed about

Quinoa = Kinowa

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I used to pronounce "mannerisms" like "man-you're-isms" because that is how my mother pronounces it

She pronounces a lot of things wrong

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

busb posted:

agree

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

I think Brutal Doctor only kills if they target Scum

CPR Doc/Surgeon kills the target if the target isn't also targeted by a kill

Asiina posted:

No I played a Brutal Doctor once and it was the second one.

I think I killed you, Kumba.

I think when you start getting into goofy stupid roles, different mods call the same role different things and use the same role name to describe different roles. I have definitely seen surgeon or CPR doc to do what Kumba describes here. Also its a bad role

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's a terrible role.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The worst roll I ever had was a few days old and I nearly broke a tooth on it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Stupid power is out.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

Stupid power is out.

It's times like these it'd be nice to have some smart power around.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Power has returned.

Thanks for sharing this journey with me mafia thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

It's times like these it'd be nice to have some smart power around.

drat you Diqnol.