Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
Storytelling fascinates me. Specifically true stories. Because each of us, all of us have got some. It's summing that life up in a succinct and interesting way that's the challenge. But when you hear that really great one? Baby. Your cilia have never felt more intimate.

This is a thread meant to discuss and highlight storytelling gems regardless of origin, shows big and small that might not survive in their own thread. This American Life has a thread here. Yes, you should listen to it.
Full Disclosure: I'm the producer of my own storytelling podcast, posted here with mod permission. See below for details.

--------------------AUDIO RICH STORYTELLING--------------------
Music. Sound Effects. Like little films for your ears, these podcasts go beyond a simple soundtrack, visualizing their audio through extensive post-production.

Radiolab

iTunes Stitcher

The grand-daddy of sound-rich storytelling, Radiolab tends more towards science and sociology, but boy. The hosts are great and the pacing is second to none. If you are at all the kind of person who enjoys learning how things work or pondering the human condition, it is a stellar example of telling a story through sound.
Recommended Episodes: Light @ Human Speed in which a scientist slows down light to walking speed (!?) kick off my love of the show. Also The Golden Rule or how one contestant destroys a game show through human psychology.

The Lapse

iTunes Stitcher

While it doesn't shy away from the dark, The Lapse has kind of a light-hearted spirit, going everywhere from government-approved ketamine to a date with a man impersonating an officer. Described as "The Moth meets Radiolab," it's also my show, written and edited by myself, and a winner of iTunes Best Podcasts of 2014. The one-man nature of the thing is proving itself a bit of a breakout success.
Recommended Episodes: Cool Running is a fun one about one woman's insane marathon run across Antarctica. His My Arms starts with flesh-eating bacteria and just gets goddamned unbelievable.

Love + Radio

iTunes Stitcher
Love + Radio is dark and dirty and seedy and silky. Most of the time. Started way back in 2005 as a little indie that could, the show is now a Radiotopia staple. They tell you to listen with headphones, and while that's true for any audio-rich show, this is a podcast that puts special attention into its stereo effects.
Recommended Episodes: Fix is trippy and dirty and smart though I'll say it again: headphones.

--------------------LIVE STORYTELLING--------------------
Uncut, semi-rehearsed stories typically recorded live on stage. As with any open mic, you're going to have some duds, but these podcasts do a particularly stellar job of sifting through what falls flat.

The Moth

iTunes Stitcher

The Moth main stage might as well be the broadway of live storytelling. You might argue it's a wee-bit traditional... But rightfully so. Well before it was a podcast, The Moth was spinning StorySLAMs in and around New York. Highly influential and, for many, a household staple.
Recommended Episodes: Roll the dice, there are plenty. The high school StorySLAMs are provide a perspective rarely heard from on other shows though.

RISK!

iTunes Stitcher

RISK! focuses on extremely personal (often bawdy) storytelling, the kinds of stories "you never thought you'd dare to share." Hosted by Kevin Allison who you might know from The State, it's one of the funnier shows out there with a wealth of dirty, filthy sex on display here. That said, its best surprises might come from its more serious-minded stories.
Recommended Episodes: Any of the "Best of RISK!" but particularly #4. I've actually made an appearance on the show as well. My story "Jeremy" is on The Best of RISK #8.

Mortified

iTunes Stitcher

Once every child's shame has been successfully immortalized through social media, Mortified might become redundant, but as of now the show is a hilarious distillation of everyone's favourite period: teenage angst. Storytellers dig up stuff they wrote as kids and read them aloud verbatim, from old letters to diaries to some truly terrible and wonderful things.
Recommended Episodes: "Nerd Hunter," or one teenage girl's quest to bang as many awkward nerds as possible... and write about it.

List ongoing. Got a story or show worth listening to? Say so! What makes it special, why should we listen, where should we start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005
Love these shows. Especially the live storytelling ones. I'll give your show a listen soon. There is another called True Story which is a lot shorter than Risk.

Not sure if it fits your thread genre but I really enjoy Criminal which deals in true crime in many unique fashions.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Meth Rollins posted:

Love these shows. Especially the live storytelling ones. I'll give your show a listen soon. There is another called True Story which is a lot shorter than Risk.

Not sure if it fits your thread genre but I really enjoy Criminal which deals in true crime in many unique fashions.

It's funny, I always passed True Story by for the sheer simplicity of their name. Any standout episode off the top of your head?

Criminal is fantastic in its own right and a worthwhile addition to just about anyone's playlist. Think I'll add another category in the OP, as it's more This American Life-esque than what I'd call sound-rich.

If you do check out The Lapse, let me know whatcha think! The episodes in the OP have definitely been making the rounds.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Just want to say I'm a *huge* fan of The Lapse. The sound queues are subtle and blend with the narrative perfectly, and never get in the way or become a distraction. The stories are superb, and everything is just so well done. Highly recommended :).

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
The latest Love+Radio is pretty amazing.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Looks like there's a new one called My First Time. Unfortunately, it appears to have a monthly release schedule at the moment and there's only two so far, both of which are only available on Soundcloud with no RSS feed. I haven't listened yet and won't have much of an opportunity any time soon because it's so inconvenient, but I have high hopes for it anyway. One of the hosts was a guest on Spontaneanation this week and said there's episodes on virginity and discovering one's sexual orientation recorded so hopefully content won't be so sparse and they'll get their poo poo together before too long.

EDIT: Got around to listening to the recent episode on religion, enjoyed hearing about Catholic school teacher Mrs. Dung ushering a young girl into finding her faith and, within the same year, losing it for life.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 3, 2015

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005

Thello posted:

If you do check out The Lapse, let me know whatcha think! The episodes in the OP have definitely been making the rounds.

Finally got around to listening. I listened to His My Arms (amazing), Mockingbird, and The Nice Guy Defense. All very solid. I subscribed on Pocket Casts and can't wait to hear more.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Wake_N_Bake posted:

The latest Love+Radio is pretty amazing.
That's Bride of the Sea if anyone's looking for it. I just listened to this and yeah, whew. Hell of a voice too. I love a good voice.

quote:

Just want to say I'm a *huge* fan of The Lapse. The sound queues are subtle and blend with the narrative perfectly, and never get in the way or become a distraction. The stories are superb, and everything is just so well done. Highly recommended :).

quote:

Finally got around to listening. I listened to His My Arms (amazing), Mockingbird, and The Nice Guy Defense. All very solid. I subscribed on Pocket Casts and can't wait to hear more.
Thanks, fellas! Thrilled you're into it. Just put up a new episode featuring a gal whose mother has been missing for 22 years. Had some pretty wild discoveries along the way. Give it a look if that piques your interest.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Strangers is a great show, and the last one is a real tear jerker.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

This is half story telling, half crime, but Detective is loving fascinating. Joe Kenda, retired homicide lieutenant, tells stories from his time on the force. He has a wonderful voice and narrative style, I highly recommend it!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Me and a coworker are currently obsessed with The Sword and Scale podcast. Crazy true crime stuff.

http://swordandscale.com/

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Brekelefuw posted:

Me and a coworker are currently obsessed with The Sword and Scale podcast. Crazy true crime stuff.

Sword and Scale is interesting but I had to stop listening because the host gets extremely creepy the most you listen to him. Like he's really obsessed with the lurid details of crimes, to the point where he plays audio of people reacting to Luka Magnota's insane icepick murder. I think that show was when it became too hard to listen to for me, and I managed to stomach the episode where he gets a bunch of robot voices to read out the chatlogs between two pedophiles discussing how they want to murder and eat children.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Strange Matter posted:

Sword and Scale is interesting but I had to stop listening because the host gets extremely creepy the most you listen to him. Like he's really obsessed with the lurid details of crimes, to the point where he plays audio of people reacting to Luka Magnota's insane icepick murder. I think that show was when it became too hard to listen to for me, and I managed to stomach the episode where he gets a bunch of robot voices to read out the chatlogs between two pedophiles discussing how they want to murder and eat children.

I just finished that episode. It was pretty insane.
The episode after that, the host calls up his friend and uses a robot voice to jokingly discuss eating the friend's kids....

While I like the show, I do find that the host can be tasteless in regards to his comments on the cases.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mike Boudet is a national treasure because he has successfully turned lurid trashy exploitative true crime books into a podcast while simultaneously not knowing what 420 i. Please do not say bad things about him or his show

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One time I called his Skype number while I was half in the bag and told him he should do an episode devoted to our dark lord and master, the beast of the infernal pit, satan, and also hail satan and like two episodes later was the McMartin episode so that's a win for Dickeye

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
Darkode has got to be my favourite Radiolab in a long time. Another exploration of a strange corner of the web, but I love that we're introduced to it by none a less than technologically experienced eastern European mother. Great air of mystery.

Actually had a (vaguely) similar experience back around the launch of Diablo 2, of all things. Wasn't money on the line, but it was my Diablo 2 account. Literally had a window pop up on my screen and chatted with some script kiddie first hand.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brekelefuw posted:

The host of Sword and Scale is SUPER into killing the gently caress out of criminals and it's really kinda creepy in some of the episodes. Also, he has a real fixation on playing direct audio from crime scenes, which can be rough when the audio sucks. A whole episode of listening to old police tape recordings grinds on the ears.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rotinaj posted:

The host of Sword and Scale is SUPER into killing the gently caress out of criminals and it's really kinda creepy in some of the episodes. Also, he has a real fixation on playing direct audio from crime scenes, which can be rough when the audio sucks. A whole episode of listening to old police tape recordings grinds on the ears.

i am still not sure how much of what you hear on that show is mike boudet's honest views and opinions and knowledge and how much is him playing up the lurid tabloid SCHIZOPHRENICS WALK AMONG US AND WILL MURDER OU AT THE DROP OF A HAT american justice with bill kurtis but without the pretense of gravitas style of true crime reporting

he also said he didn't know what 420 was once

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
The Lapse is great, gj man. I'm gonna burn through all of em this week.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah, thanks for the Lapse. I really enjoyed the most recent ones I started out with.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Kings Of Calabria posted:

The Lapse is great, gj man. I'm gonna burn through all of em this week.

calandryll posted:

Yeah, thanks for the Lapse. I really enjoyed the most recent ones I started out with.

Thanks, fellas! I'm proud of it. One of those situations where it's juuuuust shy of breaking into a bigger show, but not enough to pay the rent. If all goes well, next year's the big one.

I'll take this chance to say this month's episode is actually a story by me - Fatal Attractions. If you've ever wondered what it's like to work in a haunted house, the short answer is it sucks. They told me in my interview "if you're not prepared to get punched or spat on, this is not the job for you."

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Kevin Allison was so irritating right from the outset of last week's episode that I deleted Risk entirely from my podcasts. I'm so done.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

User-Friendly posted:

Kevin Allison was so irritating right from the outset of last week's episode that I deleted Risk entirely from my podcasts. I'm so done.

Why? Just skip forward until you hear the opening song play. It's really easy. Thr credits are even pretty much two minutes in, every show. My podcast app even lets me set it to skip an amount of time on a certain show.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

User-Friendly posted:

Think he's acknowledged the "wackiness" criticism a few times. I definitely understand it. Still, there's some pretty stellar stuff in there even if that means skipping ahead.

Personally always skipped ahead with Maron. Great, insightful interviews, but not into a ten minute improvised bit every episode.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I can see how people can't stand Kevin Allison, I fast forward through his singing anytime I hear it. That said the rest seems to be pretty genuine and from the heart, so I don't mind the intros.

The stories are definitely worth a listen, regardless of whether you skip the host / squarespace ad.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Ya Kevin Allison strikes me as an edgy manchild sometimes, but whatever the stories are usually good. But lately they've run out of steam. Like the first story this week, it wasn't even cool. It was just a prostitute saying that she was banging some dude and he took a dump on the bed. I'm not a prude about trans people or sex and usually those gross-out stories have me laughing by the end because of the wtf factor, but usually it's a funny cringe because it's someone's first time or someone barges in on them or something like that. But that was just a gross 20 minute account of a hooker getting poo poo on. She tried to bring it back with a "u never kno how weird people can be w/r/t sex" but that's no big revelation. Risk had a cool spot in the early podcasting days but there's so much good content available now that I'm not gonna spend 45 minutes a week listening to an edgelord set up stories about bathroom mishaps.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
The Lapse was good this week btw, it was spooky when the sound didn't happen for a while and then it comes back.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
Thanks! Think that episode is one of my faves of recent memory. They can be tough when you've got a person who's afraid of a microphone or self-censors. That interview came in great and came out the same way.

The Telegraph put together some recommendations of storytelling podcasts if anyone's on the lookout. Couple that I don't quite think fit the criteria (Maron), but I mostly bring it up because lookie! The Lapse made it in The Telegraph!

Going to be checking out the Serial-esque What Happened to Vishal? I'm not totally sold on the "ongoing true crime" spinoffs, but I could use something new for my earbuds.

Thello fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 28, 2015

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Speaking of Serial, there is another podcast about the same case that goes in to way more detail about it called Undisclosed. It is 3 lawyers, including Adnan's cousin, who break down all the information in crazy detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
I'm looking for a story I think was told on the moth. A comedian does a show, has drinks with a woman who calls him "funny funny". They go back to her place, he pretends to smoke crack to appease her, her husband comes home and chases him out of the house. Any help here?

• Locked thread