Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Must... not... spend.... money....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVKlG9Iiak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I saw the oddest thing today.

An old (1st gen mid 80s) Ranger. With a smokestack, rolling coal.

I don't think my dashcam got anything really usable, since they blew through the intersection while I had a red light, but I heard a diesel coming up to the intersection and was looking around, then saw this old poo poo brown 85 or so Ranger with a massive exhaust sticking out of the bed spewing black smoke and emitting very diesel-like noises.

Rolling coal now has a place. If you can do it in a vehicle that you would never expect to have a diesel engine. Pretty sure the exhaust is worth more than the truck, and the engine is probably worth at least 3-5x what the truck is worth.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

some texas redneck posted:

I saw the oddest thing today.

An old (1st gen mid 80s) Ranger. With a smokestack, rolling coal.

I don't think my dashcam got anything really usable, since they blew through the intersection while I had a red light, but I heard a diesel coming up to the intersection and was looking around, then saw this old poo poo brown 85 or so Ranger with a massive exhaust sticking out of the bed spewing black smoke and emitting very diesel-like noises.

Rolling coal now has a place. If you can do it in a vehicle that you would never expect to have a diesel engine. Pretty sure the exhaust is worth more than the truck, and the engine is probably worth at least 3-5x what the truck is worth.

So you're saying if i dropped a Powerstroke V8 into my Crown Vic and ran the exhaust straight vertical through the hood, it'd be rad as gently caress for me to roll coal? Because i'm down with this plan.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

T1g4h posted:

So you're saying if i dropped a Powerstroke V8 into my Crown Vic and ran the exhaust straight vertical through the hood, it'd be rad as gently caress for me to roll coal? Because i'm down with this plan.

7.3 with side pipes.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

7.3 with side pipes.

If by side pipes you mean dumping straight out of the front fenders... :getin:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've moved from CA to NM. Do I need to tell CA that I've left in some fashion? Like, if I move back in 5 years will they be pissed that I've not paid registration in 5 years? Or will showing up with an out of state title sort that out?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

What the hell happened up there :stare:

ACEofsnett and I gutted an old mobility cart he found in a dumpster, I welded an old office chair also found in the dumpster to it, we ripped the motor driver out and replaced it with a suicide switch. It now does wheelies and burnouts. If you are rolling back a little when you give it the beans it will happily flip over backwards even though it has a wheelie bar.

Enter Holdbrooks as Mobility Max. :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

T1g4h posted:

I honestly wonder what the gently caress they had under the hood. The engine bay of that generation Ranger is pretty cramped to begin with. Whatever it was, it was something that could be mated to a manual transmission.

I was initially thinking Cummins, since they're still semi-easy to find with a manual, but IIRC they generally do inline 6's, and I'm pretty sure that the biggest engine that generation ranger ever came with was a 3.0 V6 (or smaller).

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've moved from CA to NM. Do I need to tell CA that I've left in some fashion? Like, if I move back in 5 years will they be pissed that I've not paid registration in 5 years? Or will showing up with an out of state title sort that out?

Generally, just submitting your old CA title (and plates) to the NM DMV will get that sorted out and get you a set of NM plates and a title. If you do move back, just bring your NM title and plates, and make sure you transfer your drivers license within 30 days to stay legal (both ways - going to NM, and going back to CA). You might have to go through some extra emissions hoops if/when you do move back to CA, since technically you're now importing a car from out of state. I don't think NM does any sort of safety or emissions, or at least they didn't when I lived in El Paso.

edit: Apparently jamal knows what's up. I've transferred cars between TX, NM, and GA, with nothing more than submitting the title and plates. Though I was the buyer in these cases.

What part of NM? You may have mentioned it, but I probably forgot. I've spent a lot of time in NM, mostly around Ruidoso, Santa Fe, and Las Cruces. It's really a beautiful state, and land is super cheap.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 27, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I honestly wonder what the gently caress they had under the hood. The engine bay of that generation Ranger is pretty cramped to begin with. Whatever it was, it was something that could be mated to a manual transmission.

I was initially thinking Cummins, since they're still semi-easy to find with a manual, but IIRC they generally do inline 6's, and I'm pretty sure that the biggest engine that generation ranger ever came with was a 3.0 V6 (or smaller).

http://cumminshub.com/4bt.html

4BT maybe?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Detroit Diesel 2-71 :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So pizza story time. I wouldn't be STR without one.

One of my deliveries was to a place that had a name that sounded like either a rehab center (name is fairly similar to the one I go to for IOP), or a place that helps those who have mental disabilities.

I nailed it on the second one. The secretary/receptionist was definitely a little on the slow side, and they had motivational posters along with a poster explaining what it took to get into their programs, which were for mentally challenged people. Incredibly nice guy, asked my name, shook my hand (rather awkwardly), said it was nice to meet me, asked who I was there for. The person who had ordered worked there, and her face really lit up when I thanked her first, then said "by the way <receptionist name>, it was really nice to meet you, I hope you have a great day", which also got his attention and made him smile. I'm guessing he's a former client.

I hope I deliver there again.

Then I got to deliver to the city animal shelter. I wanted to take all of the dogs and cats home with me. :unsmith: They had a bunch of dogs out in the play/training area doing agility training. That was a depressing delivery though, the person I delivered to was obviously pretty down, and when I asked her if she was having a good day, she said ".... depends on your definition of good". :smith: Being a city-run kill shelter, I'm going to guess her day wasn't so good.

It sounded... beefy, honestly it sounded like a random Dodge diesel. But if the bore is big enough on that, I can see it sounding similar. It was loud as hell either way, and I could definitely hear an angry (and likely sooty) turbo.

105 hp, 265 ft/lbs. :stonklol: Why bother with such a complex swap these days? Slap an LSx in it if you want cheap power.

*puts on flame suit, I know I just pissed a bunch of people off with that....*

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 27, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I did it! I rebuilt my AC compressor! Success!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yes.

I had the ca dmv send me to collections for unpaid back registration, and they were somehow able to take money out of my bank account plus the bank charged a legal fee so it was overdrawn. As soon as I called ca they were like, "oh, sorry, we'll send the money back." but I never got the $100 legal fee back from wells fargo. gently caress that bank anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 27, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

wells fargo. gently caress that bank anyway.

My last experience with WF:

They had a branch on UNT's campus, along with ATMs in drat near every building. They also offered a debit card that could double as a student ID. So I go into the branch.

As soon as I mention "I'm not sure, but I may be on ChexSystems", they immediately tell me I need to apply for their fee-heavy second chance checking. Which I kept for about a month before getting pissed off and jumping ship to the local credit union. They also told me I was "too old" to get the combo student ID/debit card, despite a large chunk of the faculty having that card.

About a year later I ordered a ChexSystems report. Not only was I NOT on ChexSystems anymore (even at the time WF should have pulled a report), they never even ran an inquiry through ChexSystems. The credit union, however, did run me through ChexSystems, and the only issue I had with them is my campus mailing address (PO box only - physical address wasn't deliverable by USPS, but UPS/Fedex could) wasn't in their computer; so to get my debit card, I had to wait for them to try to mail it to the physical dorm address, have it get returned by the post office, then go down to their main branch to pick it up in person. Apparently a pretty common problem for them; their computers wouldn't accept "PMB ########" as an address.

As soon as I move closer to a branch of that CU, I'm switching back. Their online banking is on par with USAA's, if not better. My current CU just uses Intuit's online banking platform, which is :mediocre:. Nearest branch is about 30 minutes from home though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 27, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress, the grandmother did die. Not a word was said about my not remembering what day it was, instead it was just "we need to be around if she needs us" and I am totes cool with that.

Edit: But hey, my mom got married last week! Look how nice my family looks!

(Except for that ugly guy on the left)

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 27, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those are some normal looking people. This is a good thing. The police will never suspect you.

jamal posted:

gently caress wells fargo

I'm happy with this print, and how it fits the parts. Just need to wire it up to have a second (house) battery. I am not happy with my phone, though. Sprint HTC One M7, the longer the camera is open the more purple it gets.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Looks like I cracked the corner of my screen today on my N5. Is there anything I can do so it doesn't propagate?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A few local dealer car dealers are doing a "5500 on top of your tradein" deal for new cars, which puts a spiffy new car very much in my affordable range. I'm still trying to figure out what the scam is on that deal but if it means I don't have to deal with private selling I might jump on it anyway. The gas savings alone would be over half the monthly payment. drat thirsty rotary. :argh:

Too bad neither of the Mazda dealerships around here are doing it. I'd be all about making bad financial decisions for a 2016 mx5.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The scam is probably that there's $5500 on the hood of the 2015s if you're buying it cash anyways, $5500 in rebates and poo poo they keep if you take their trade-in deal and let them pay you under market value for your car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's no scam and you should completely buy a new Miata that's 2% better than a 20 year old Miata you bought with cash. Nothing is more satisfying than having a hefty car payment on a car that smells like buffalo sauce inside, let me tell you

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's no scam and you should completely buy a new Miata that's 2% better than a 20 year old Miata you bought with cash. Nothing is more satisfying than having a hefty car payment on a car that smells like buffalo sauce inside, let me tell you

I don't have cash built up to buy something straight up but I do have great credit and about 3 weeks until I'm debt free. So I'm looking at what my best options are. I almost certainly won't go for anything new but the rx8 isn't exactly a valuable car so any option to get more out of it is worth exploring as far as I'm concerned.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I moved from California to Georgia by way of a few months in Texas and another month in Virginia, and it was in Virginia that I got the grand idea to replace my perfectly good (read: almost dead) Suburban with something bigger, more powerful, and most importantly more Vortec than TBI (and also that wasn't almost dead) so I sold my Suburban, sent off my "I sold my car" part off the CA title, and bought a Suburban. This was in January.

Fast forward to June and I get a notice in the mail saying my registration was gonna be canceled because I didn't have insurance. On a car that I didn't have anymore. So I called up the CA DMV and said "the gently caress yall do with ma papers" and got it figured out. They had actually received my liability release thing, and were "processing" it or some poo poo. So basically I figured it takes longer for them to realize that you don't have the car than it does for them to realize you've canceled your insurance on it. It doesn't surprise me that they did the same with registration - possibly a deliberate profit scheme.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mafoose posted:

Looks like I cracked the corner of my screen today on my N5. Is there anything I can do so it doesn't propagate?

Superglue.

I cracked my iphone dropping it like an idiot and superglue saved the day. It looks slightly shabby but if you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing the screen it's the best option.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Alternatively, a cheap adhesive screen protector might help a bit.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

ACEofsnett and I gutted an old mobility cart he found in a dumpster, I welded an old office chair also found in the dumpster to it, we ripped the motor driver out and replaced it with a suicide switch. It now does wheelies and burnouts. If you are rolling back a little when you give it the beans it will happily flip over backwards even though it has a wheelie bar.

I used it last night to go between the shop and garage to sharpen mower blades. Best dumpster find ever. I also cant believe the batteries are still holding out after its almost constant use all weekend.

elektrotechnik
Sep 7, 2012

kastein posted:

Mobility Max: ADA Compliant Road

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

I was initially thinking Cummins, since they're still semi-easy to find with a manual, but IIRC they generally do inline 6's, and I'm pretty sure that the biggest engine that generation ranger ever came with was a 3.0 V6 (or smaller)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321838835875

They came with a Perkins diesel from the factory. And apparently a Mitsubishi turbo diesel as well.

rdb fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 27, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Terrible Robot posted:

and/or they just got into a tankslapper on a moped or lost a fight with the deathcart :v:

My knee is healing nicely.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Let's talk rebuilt status.

So when is rebuilt status ok? Like for example a car was T boned and the airbag went off and damaged the drivers side door, Is the safety cell of the car still intact? I was under the impression that car safety is very much a "one and done" type scenario. If the car is damaged in any way so as to warrant rebuilt status, then the safety of the car is compromised and shouldn't be trusted.

Is this actually the case for something like a smashed door and an airbag? What about if it was rear ended? What should I look for the know if the safety cell is intact?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

dont buy a rebuilt title unless the car was stolen or was involved in a hail storm or something

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In my experience it's not the initial damage you should be worried about with a rebuilt title; it's the bodyshop's dog fuckery with the car after the fact.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah. No one does proper re-rustproofing after burning a million holes in the ecoat and primer with a spotwelder/MIG. And if the frame is pulled, count on hidden areas where all the coatings flaked off from the bend and were not recoated.

I would pass unless you are alright with the idea of it falling apart again in 5 or 10 years if rust is a concern in your area.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's even if they get everything right.

On my last rebuilt-title car, I had these problems:
  • Bumper flaking paint because they didn't mix the flex agent properly
  • Misaligned headlight on drivers' side
  • Chunk of random steel left inside the engine bay from banging out the rad support
  • Multiple confusing rust issues on parts of the car that aren't known for rusting
  • A bent control arm producing excessive negative caster
  • Cracked OEM rim because the one that hit the curb just got banged out straight and put back on the car with a poo poo ton of balancing weights
  • Leaks from the door being out of alignment with the door gasket because nobody spent five seconds to adjust the replacement hinges
  • No panel gap in the front lined up properly
  • Overspray
  • Underspray
  • Orange peel
  • Broken airbag connector on drivers' seat; taking a hard right would sometimes cause the connector to unplug. Ziptied tight because I didn't trust myself to re-crimp something like that.
  • Replacement radiator after plastic endtank mounting pins sheared loose of out-of-square rad support
  • Bumper support crooked because the underlying frame horns weren't fixed properly on the frame machine, necessitating another complete teardown and another visit to the frame machine by a competent bodyshop if it was ever going to get fixed
  • Bumper cover over the support constantly sagged as a result of being distorted, eventually breaking a clip
  • At least a $7k loss when it came time to get rid of it three years later, after spending several months trying to sell it

Suffice it to say, unless it's under two grand, I'm not doing it again.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 27, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Great Beer posted:

I don't have cash built up to buy something straight up but I do have great credit and about 3 weeks until I'm debt free. So I'm looking at what my best options are.

Obviously it's to get back into a bunch of debt. Wouldn't want to do anything like "not have any payments" that would then allow you save money until you can buy something reasonable outright.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
doing my first proper shift at the firehouse since i got sick, figures we get a massive thunderstorm with floods, fires and all the other good stuff.

i feel loving spectacular, except that some of these new guys makes me feel old...

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Great Beer posted:

A few local dealer car dealers are doing a "5500 on top of your tradein" deal for new cars, which puts a spiffy new car very much in my affordable range. I'm still trying to figure out what the scam is on that deal but if it means I don't have to deal with private selling I might jump on it anyway. The gas savings alone would be over half the monthly payment. drat thirsty rotary. :argh:

Too bad neither of the Mazda dealerships around here are doing it. I'd be all about making bad financial decisions for a 2016 mx5.

Save your money. It's probably $5500 in factory incentives, or they're playing some clever games with the four-square method.

I just talked to a customer who creeped me out so badly that I'm going to start carrying pepper spray again.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sounds like the Mazda's smoking habit is probably worn out valve stem seals, seems that's a pretty common thing on these pickups. Never changed seals before but it looks doable for about $20 in parts... but since I don't have an air compressor I'd have to use the rope method (or buy an air compressor).

So in the mean time I'm going to replace the PCV valve because that's $3 at Autozone and I've seen people say that fixed their B2000's smoking issue when stem seals didn't.

It only started smoking after I changed the oil, so the PO may have been running thicker oil too. I've got 10W40 high-mileage blend in there, who knows what the PO had.

Fun times! It drives great even when it's smoking, though, and once the smoke goes away there's nothing wrong with it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

goatse guy posted:

I just talked to a customer who creeped me out so badly that I'm going to start carrying pepper spray again.

I know this isn't a ford dealership, but I'd really like to Focus on you for a while. Maybe we can Escape to a fiesta, and then back to my place where we can Explore(r) our Fusion until you C-Max. I've been practicing Edging, so bring a lunch. This is going to be a real Expedition. I guarantee you'll get an SVT, or an ST at the least, as I haven't been tested in a while and it's itchy down near my Super Duty.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 27, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Great Beer posted:

I don't have cash built up to buy something straight up but I do have great credit and about 3 weeks until I'm debt free. So I'm looking at what my best options are. I almost certainly won't go for anything new but the rx8 isn't exactly a valuable car so any option to get more out of it is worth exploring as far as I'm concerned.

You're delivering pizzas right? Don't buy a new car. Buy a 3k civic and run that fucker into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
CC is gone, student loans are getting double the payment amount. Gonna try to get rid of both of them by the end of next year.

• Locked thread