Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
No objections to that. I always prefered the Fighter / Rogue / Mage dynamic more without a dedicated healer. And, despite being a filthy Pathfinder player, I totally agree with Warlords and martial healing. Shouting at someone to restore hitpoints is perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Please include gyrocopters.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The question is...was Jesus an elf?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine this scene playing out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3uPb8_m5T0

... except they're dwarves.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Add in the Master of Da'Skies episode of Eagleheart for good measure. Ain't no law saying that crime is illegal...in the SKY!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

theironjef posted:

We're workshopping right now, but at the moment it's that religion is popular and important but not inherently magical. Magic exists but it's extremely unionized (they control the telephone industry and a lot of the stuff that the 1920s electrical industry was responsible for), and Scab Wizardry is a big source of player characters. Healing and so on is just handled by either doctors, apothecaries, or Local Healers 144.

This totally isn't because we don't want to have to make up a lot of gods and so on, not at all.

Just make them Atheist Clerics and they get their power from disbelieving in the Gods.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Young Freud posted:

Just make them Atheist Clerics and they get their power from disbelieving in the Gods.

We were gonna have gods but one of the races was nietzschean supermen, so all the gods are just dead. Some have been converted into blimps.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Get brought to the Kingdom of Heaven by the power of Jesus! 15 dollars for a one-way trip, 20 for a round-trip ticket, check your bags at the gate!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Young Freud posted:

It works for Dee from Rat Queens!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Really looking forward to continuing Dune and going back to finish Eldritch Skies. The latter gets into a really interesting take on the Lovecraft mythos in its later chapters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

The question is...was Jesus an elf?

Jesus had a beard, made good booze, and killed trees for a living until he was 30.

I think we can safely rule out "elf".

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Jesus had a beard, made good booze, and killed trees for a living until he was 30.

I think we can safely rule out "elf".

Realistically speaking, Jesus was a Shardmind.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus was Paul Bunyan?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This setting has to have Fantasy Jimmy Hoffa somewhere in it.

Maybe Wilfred P. Blimpmeister, a lich who can cast Animate Scab and Greater Embezzlement.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

It works for Dee from Rat Queens!

I'm not quite sure on that one. It seems like she believes in herself far more than a god and therefore draws power from that. Less atheism and more self empowerment to the point of divine power.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Tasoth posted:

I'm not quite sure on that one. It seems like she believes in herself far more than a god and therefore draws power from that. Less atheism and more self empowerment to the point of divine power.

It's also the case that she doesn't "believe" in the god, but drat well knows it exists anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doresh posted:

May Vecna have mercy on us all o_O

I assume "Separate damage by weapon type and monster type" is a much more unwieldy version of the Rules Cyclopedia damage rules (where weapons could deal slightly different damage vs beasts or other weapon-wielders and grant access to different abilities as you master your weapon)?

I'm not really sure that that's the case - the RC weapon mastery rules are pretty much always beneficial as you get better at your weapon, but these and their AD&D representation are both bonuses and reductions to your attack roll depending on your weapon versus the target's AC, so it's really more just verisimilitude rules rather than Fighter buffs to make them really really good at killing stuff.

There's a hint of a good idea there though. The Fighter can access a +3 to their attack bonus if they're wielding the "correct" weapon, which is huge especially at level 1 when you need every edge you can get, and they don't need to spend feats or skills or whatever limited amount of character customization to get it, so if you did something like drop the penalty side of the equation and made weapon-switching not consume multiple rounds you might end up in a Caddyshack (?) scenario: "oh look, unarmored peasants. Time to haul out the bastard sword. I'll take out the pick once they're down to their armored knight leader."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LazyAngel posted:

It's also the case that she doesn't "believe" in the god, but drat well knows it exists anyway.

It might just be easier to say she doesn't worship the god.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

theironjef posted:

Perfect. We had a bit of a mental disconnect between the two of us on our end, but I think we're through the weeds and are going to set it in a fake America in the 20s, where blimpships are king.

I can’t say enough words on how excited for this I am, holy poo poo.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
The whole "magic union" angle could work really well as a way to introduce the different splats of magic users. Also, mages that refuse to join a specific school/style of magic could be part of a IWW style "One big union of all the wizards".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Egregious Offences posted:

The whole "magic union" angle could work really well as a way to introduce the different splats of magic users. Also, mages that refuse to join a specific school/style of magic could be part of a IWW style "One big union of all the wizards".

An IWW magic union would have each magical type and school as one section of a larger Spellworkers Union.

ARCANE DEPARTMENT, SPELLCASTING UNIONS
110- Abjurers
120- Conjurers
130- Diviners
etc.

DIVINE DEPARTMENT, SPELLCASTING UNIONS
110- Lawful Good Clerics
120- Neutral Good Clerics
130- Chaotic Good Clerics
etc.

Maybe a seperate department for druids or lump them in with the divines, then have one for magical creatures...

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
If you're going with D&D style alignments, which organizations/people are literally Evil aligned?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Unions are Chaotic Evil" - Scott Walker, probably

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Unions are Chaotic Evil" - Scott Walker, probably

Actually basing unions on alignments makes for an interesting idea. If there are the usual detection spells they would have mandatory membership to swell their ranks, but also then a built in plot where somebody gets the bright idea of fudging the spell to swell their numbers.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I think a more interesting idea in anything ever is just not using alignments.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Egregious Offences posted:

You can probably also craft the IWW's wheel of industry into a literal magic circle. I mean look at it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Communist Zombie posted:

You can probably also craft the IWW's wheel of industry into a literal magic circle. I mean look at it.

Could they make that graphic more cluttered and hard to read?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Could they make that graphic more cluttered and hard to read?

Have you seen the newspapers from back then? I remember reading those things on a microfilm machine in college and it was like navigating a maze.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That looks like a Manual of the Planes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Serf posted:

Have you seen the newspapers from back then? I remember reading those things on a microfilm machine in college and it was like navigating a maze.
The best thing about reading newspapers from the 30s are a) a ridiculous amount of coverage for pro wrestling in the sports section and b) "Oh, that wacky Hitler, what will he do next? Oh. Ohhh."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Man you guys are like well fertilized soil. I'm just gonna come by here later and steal all these ideas.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Don't forget what I said about the skill list! You need, like, 60 skills minimum. And this is the 20s, so make sure they have names like Fisticuffs, Scuttlebutt, and Gentlemanly Pursuits

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't forget what I said about the skill list! You need, like, 60 skills minimum. And this is the 20s, so make sure they have names like Fisticuffs, Scuttlebutt, and Gentlemanly Pursuits

I have a 61 in Flapping!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

And if you go that route, I must demand an appropriate alignment chart, between Dapper/Scruffy and Gentleman/Hooligan. Yeah I know it's /tg/, it's still a moderately good idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Boating, Yachting and Canoeing must be separate skills with absolutely no cross-over competency.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can no longer tell if your fans want you to create a cool world to play in or something entirely unplayable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This has been cathartic. I've been reading Conspiracy X, and I'm glad I'm not reviewing it, because it would definitely drive me to drink just like Dune's did.

The Throwing skill is subdivided into multiple weapon types.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

This has been cathartic. I've been reading Conspiracy X, and I'm glad I'm not reviewing it, because it would definitely drive me to drink just like Dune's did.

The Throwing skill is subdivided into multiple weapon types.
Throwing: Conspiracy X Sourcebook

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I can no longer tell if your fans want you to create a cool world to play in or something entirely unplayable.

Oh this is all just jokery I assume, we already made a game with a dumb skill list and incongruous feats. I figure this thing is going to use Fate or something similar. Of course I know a much about the rules of writing Fate supplements as anyone that doesn't know the rules about writing Fate supplements, so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you're talking about Duckman, it's still better-designed than most editions of D&D. :colbert:

• Locked thread