Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

KyloWinter posted:

How do I butcher people? They are auto dumped or buried. Is there a setting at the butchers block? Also, does this not upset my colonists?

It upsets the one doing the butchering, unless they're a cannibal or have the bloodlust trait. I think. Memory is a little sketchy here. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Lost my first game.

Started out with someone moderately good with guns, a surgeon with a disturbing passion for shooting things and an ex-kingpin that was quite good at talking to people and seemed to have a knack for cooking.

Things go alright for a while, then a new settler appears! A naked fat man called 'Cat' that was simple in mind, but had good common knowledge of farming and such, also liked animals a little too much.

Then the raids came, I only had a couple turrets set up, so I'd draft my colonists and open fire on the pirates, murdering them pretty hard despite them having advanced weaponry, though they usually inflicted some serious damage, including blowing off said ex-kingpins left leg (it took me a while to realize why he wasn't getting out of bed, then I gave him a peg leg). This wouldn't have been so bad if he weren't pushing 50 and had cataracts, but my housing was nearby so he didnt have to go far to cook meals.

Then came the second problem.

I built my housing with a geyser inside, which kept the temperatures at ridiculous levels, making already miserable colonists have mental breaks routinely. Eventually I walled it off, but then came a heat wave which nullified it all (at this point I realized I was woefully unprepared power-wise to even think about keeping air conditioners running).

After a few close calls with heat stroke, more raiders show up and kill Cat as he charges in with a knife. I eventually repel them and tend my wounds then send people out hunting again.

Then the third and final nail in the coffin occurs, my surgeon runs in front of a hunter and gets his stomach blown cleanly out. This would have been a very bad thing if he didn't patch himself up perfectly (sans stomach) and would spend hours (ingame) trying to eat food before going back to work. Eventually another raid happened, one pirate had a incendiary launcher (or whatever it was called) and lit a building on fire ( a rec room I was constructing to try to stem the tide of mental breakdowns, you see). After taking minor wounds and repelling them, one of the colonists goes to put out the fire and....catches on fire herself and passes out before it can be put out, then another colonist comes and manages to put it out, but not before previous person gets horrible burns and suffers major burns to her right arm herself.

Now, my surgeon hadn't starved to death yet, but was now suffering from heatstroke and slowly dying in bed. The one colonist with severe burns starts to develop an infection in her left toe and I decide to have my ex-kingpin (whom is surprisingly the most unscathed and sane of the bunch) to amputate it. Now, I know he wasn't a very good doctor, but somehow he managed to critically flub it and SEVER HER SPINAL CORD (I assume, I saw a grayed out damaged spine message in the health screen) and had cut up her torso as well. The other burn victim fortunately succumbs to infection from her burns before he can practice his craft again. Also at some point during this, my surgeon finally died from heatstroke.

I decided to at least bury them in nice sarcophagi, but found out that the ex-kingpin refuses to haul. Then he went berserk and attacked some boomalope or whatever they're called.

This was my first (albeit poorly written) Rimworld experience.

I started a second colony and used the prepare carefully mod and brought a shitton of chicken eggs with me (fertilized). Too bad I didn't think about keeping my chickens heated during the winter and they all froze to death. Also I have a nudist that seems perfectly fine in -10 to -20 celsius weather. Earlier one of my colonists mined the last bit of steel from what I later realized was a load bearing node, which lead to her head being cleanly knocked off.

Losing is fun!

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

Daztek posted:

Is there a good quick intro/tutorial you guys would recommend? There's so many menus and buttons I'm just overwhelmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03l-JijOAYw&list=PLCZleGQiTyuDGOyQjshoHGjpWH71TcNFW&index=1

Guy has a bunch of tutorial videos (for alpha 11, so no videos about animal husbandry). You don't really need to watch them all, but the first couple will give you a starting point.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Is peaceful play still an option if I just want to make a town without having things jump all over me?

As others have said, adjusting the storyteller will result in rare and very tiny raids.

However, if you do build a sweet base in peaceful and decide it needs a little more blood, you can use dev mode to spawn raids (and force them to assault)

I only mention this because its incredibly fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also change your storyteller and difficulty any time with the options menu from ingame.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I hear the default storyteller has a soft cap of 20 colonists? I've been playing Randy since the default one felt so same-y each game.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So can roofs get damaged? How do you fix them? I had a fire break out in one of my indoor growing areas from a lightning? strike. Every time it rained after that, one of my sun lights would short out and start another fire. Hovering over the room would say "constructed roof"

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

knob posted:

So can roofs get damaged? How do you fix them? I had a fire break out in one of my indoor growing areas from a lightning? strike. Every time it rained after that, one of my sun lights would short out and start another fire. Hovering over the room would say "constructed roof"

Did you try and remove the roof-region and then re-roof it? You do it in the zones menu

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Also make sure its a "closed room" with four walls (or whatever) and a door. The roofs won't generate unless there's a door.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Getting into this again.. Holy poo poo are elderly colonists hosed from the get-go!

Is it easier to gain new colony members now than in prior versions? How do you guys get more colonists?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

Getting into this again.. Holy poo poo are elderly colonists hosed from the get-go!

Is it easier to gain new colony members now than in prior versions? How do you guys get more colonists?

Usually I have some bums show up and join of their own volition, it's kind of annoying because I prefer to cherry pick from raiders so I can get good colonists, and building a cryo vault to store all the useless ones in is a bit expensive.

I also get periodic radio calls from fugitives which you can accept to gain a colonist but face a raid, or refuse to gain nothing but also not be raided.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tias posted:

If you want more than like 10 set AI to randy read

You have to capture people a lot too and buy them.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hey guys,

Can you guys see why that turret that I've built won't connect to the power grid?

I've tried reconnecting it but it's just not going.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TescoBag posted:

Hey guys,

Can you guys see why that turret that I've built won't connect to the power grid?

I've tried reconnecting it but it's just not going.

That bit of cable isn't connected to anything, it's completely separate from your batteries and all other power sources.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
The power line around the house is not connected to the main circuit (as evidenced by the fact that your lamp is taking power from the lines on the right and not the line right below it) You need to add another two electrified walls between your right line and the freezer.

Edit: too slow

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What both of them said. Also those two turrets are too close together, if one blows up it'll take the other with it.

edit: and your walls

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Azhais posted:

What both of them said. Also those two turrets are too close together, if one blows up it'll take the other with it.

edit: and your walls

Yeah, Turrets explode and damage anything in a rounded 7x7 area(The corners of a 7x7 square would be safe.) Place Turrets 4 spaces away from themselves and other things you don't want blown up when they are destroyed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skaw posted:

Yeah, Turrets explode and damage anything in a rounded 7x7 area(The corners of a 7x7 square would be safe.) Place Turrets 4 spaces away from themselves and other things you don't want blown up when they are destroyed.

Tho if you put a single metal wall between them they'll be protected from the blast, it just limits their firing arc

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Opal posted:

The power line around the house is not connected to the main circuit (as evidenced by the fact that your lamp is taking power from the lines on the right and not the line right below it) You need to add another two electrified walls between your right line and the freezer.

Edit: too slow

That cooler is taking power from the line at the top and for some reason my brain thought that it'll pass power!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I hope someone makes another modpack that's just fun stuff that plays well together so I can be lazy, as opposed to the two modpacks on the forums now which are 'be forced to micromanage every colonist constantly and research every usable object.'

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Tias posted:

Elderly colonists having a host of problems is perhaps understandable, but one thing that bothers me, and has done for quite some time, is the large number of characters in their 50's (i.e. old but not elderly) that have the frail trait. I just started a new game myself (my first in about 5 months) with a woman aged 50 and another woman aged 52 among the starting colonists, and sure enough: both frail.

Except for people who had led extremely unhealthy lives or had medical problems throughout their lives, I don't I've ever met someone in their 50's I would consider 'frail.' Bad backs, bad knees and the like, sure, but frail is a pretty big step beyond that and something I would typically associate with advanced age, like 80 year-old grandmothers puttering around with their walkers or whatever.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

In case you don't already know, you can check health problems when rolling new colonists.

Then again, I never have that problem because I start with two people with maxed skills in everything on randy random at its hardest. Still challenging enough but mining and constructing and stuff doesn't take forever.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Hardcore SK is cool if you take out seeds please. It's still micromanaging but it doesn't put you on a timer for lack of growing food.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

vandalism posted:

Hardcore SK is cool if you take out seeds please. It's still micromanaging but it doesn't put you on a timer for lack of growing food.

It makes random blights death too

I had a blight about 6 days into my last seeds-enabled game which destroyed every crop (and as such seed I started with). Can't grow food til a trader shows up! Hope you have adequate meat options!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's a flower child mod, what did you expect? The idiot, despite parading about himself over it, hasn't clue one on good design. Taking anything the fucknugget does as inherently making things infinitely worse is just going to make you right all the time.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The concept is cool but the execution is terrible. I don't know how or why any modder that actually plays the game would include it in a modpack.

Ifor the seeds spawned on the map in intervals or dropped from animals, that would be neat. Buying them from orbital traders is way too prohibitive.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Goddamn, double post.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Mm this weekend I learned the hard way why one should not build structures primarily from wood.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Mm this weekend I learned the hard way why one should not build structures primarily from wood.

That's always a fun lesson.

"Oops there's a fire in my wooden megacomplex. I'll just go put that out--oh god jesus the guy caught on fire the second he entered the room why the christ is it 900 degrees in there ffffffffffffffffffffff NO DOCTOR DON'T GO HELP HIM GOD DAMMIT"

rip that colony

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like how you can lose in this game so easily. It makes it really fun yet stories of survival are pretty incredible.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What are the best mods? I'm currently only using the prepare carefully mod.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

euphronius posted:

I like how you can lose in this game so easily. It makes it really fun yet stories of survival are pretty incredible.

Have you ever played Dwarf Fortress? :allears:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I just got this game and could not figure out how to build things out of anything other than steel (I got it now i'm dumb...)... This resulted in me having a huge steel shortage all game... which means that while my buildings are holding up great... I have skimped on my defenses and everyone is shot up to all hell. I think one guy is missing an arm and a leg, another person lost their kidney, another pegleg person. Someone was on fire for a while... but now I have chickens so everything will be okay... right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah tons of DF. The ui always bummed me out though after awhile.

Also I think with DF it lost "something" when he went to multiple z levels.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Inacio posted:

Have you ever played Dwarf Fortress? :allears:

This is the kind of game that will attract a whole bunch of people that DF actually repels.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KyloWinter posted:

What are the best mods? I'm currently only using the prepare carefully mod.

I like:
Vein Miner: Mine a whole ore vein with one click
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0

Roof support pillar: Nothing fancy, just a craftable item that doesn't block movement to support ceilings vs leaving random walls around.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10320.0

This is a big collection, don't know if you can just take the floors, but I like the floors :v:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4373.0

Cave flora + fishing: Honestly I'm a little torn on this one, it does make things a bit easier since some of the mushrooms are usable as medicine and the fish are easy to get food
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13172.0

More lighting options:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14870.0

Few new factions, if you feel that being attacked by androids with tanks sounds like a good idea:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7670.0

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Azhais posted:

I like:
Vein Miner: Mine a whole ore vein with one click
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0

I cannot overstate how goddamn critical this mod is

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I would like a mod (or full-fledged feature) that would allow you to attack settlements via the world map. I really enjoy the combat and strategy necessary to defend yourself, but it quickly turns into building tons of turrets and sticking your colonists somewhere safe as enemy numbers increase (though the recent sappers update has made that less viable). It would be great if we could raid the settlements of other groups and maybe eliminate raider strongholds. It seems like there's at least some foundation for this in place as the different factions are noted on the world map.

I guess that would involve procedurally generating and balancing enemy settlements, which can't be trivial, but it would add a lot more, especially since Tynan doesn't seem to be doing much work on the end game and it's fairly easy to reach once your know what you're doing.

Otherwise, I'm having way more fun than I thought building a relatively peaceful farming settlement. This is a good game.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
rimjob world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Desetr Eagle posted:

rimjob world

Also, I want this total conversion mod.