Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
That show looks so bad it could actually damage the Trans movement, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Tortuga posted:

That show looks so bad it could actually damage the Trans movement, I think.

Well don't kick it in the balls over that

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Brothers Chaps are putting out new Flash animations for Disney XD and they're, er, definitely no Homestar Runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QqLp8FnXUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv42ljNCs98

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This wouldn't have happened if we still had The Aquabats! Super Show! :smith:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm happy that 90s cartoons and anime are influencing people to make stuff like Steven Universe, but that CGI Pals one is giving me second thoughts. Reboot should have been shoved down the memory hole ASAP

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

why is this happening, what went wrong

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fxls1XrcJc

On the one hand, this might be the first time I see a trans character not played for laughs in a cartoon.

On the other hand, this really does not look that good.
Based on the first 20 seconds, this is somehow worse than Shezow. And has there ever been a trans character on any kids' cartoon? Bugs Bunny dressing up as a woman to gently caress around with people doesn't count.

Just watch Clarence instead, because it's actually good.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 25, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The closest I can think of is Gumball had an episode where he wore a beautiful dress to school everyone thought he was a girl and it made him super popular and everyone loved him.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

axleblaze posted:

The closest I can think of is Gumball had an episode where he wore a beautiful dress to school everyone thought he was a girl and it made him super popular and everyone loved him.

his pet brother totally wanted to kiss him lmao

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

icantfindaname posted:

I'm happy that 90s cartoons and anime are influencing people to make stuff like Steven Universe, but that CGI Pals one is giving me second thoughts. Reboot should have been shoved down the memory hole ASAP

Uhhh reboot was goddamn amazing, what are you talking about?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

KARMA! posted:

Uhhh reboot was goddamn amazing, what are you talking about?

He's talking about the remake with live-action children travelling into cyberspace.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
And the original Reboot is nowhere near as good as your nostalgia may lead you to believe.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don't think we'd like the ridiculously grimdark final season as much as we do before the movies without nostalgia coloring it. AndrAla's adult character design was pretty embarrassing, for example.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also trying to go back and watch Reboot with no nostalgia goggles shows it for what it is: poorly aged with really dated writing. It's not just that it looks bad, it can't help that due to tech constraints, nothing about that show has aged well. Although I did enjoy Cubix, speaking of badly animated cartoons, so maybe I just found Reboot boring.

In defence of Cubix I liked how the robots malfunctioned, and Kan It was a fun character. I also liked Dr K's other minions, Kannon, Krab, Kolosal and Katastrophe. (He named all his inventions so that he could introduce then like so: "Meet Kannon! With a "K"!")

One of the robots names took me too long to get though, the evil robot that copied other robots I initially heard as Killerbot, which made sense due to him being the most dangerous, then I paid closer attention: his name was Kilobot because he was 1000 robots in one due to his ability to copy other robots abilities. He was also badass, he disabled Cubix by copying his ability to seperate his body parts at will, trapped cubixes parts between his own parts and just pulled together to crush Cubix's individual components
:black101:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

And the original Reboot is nowhere near as good as your nostalgia may lead you to believe.

Yall crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNM-_aYDXyo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TwoPair posted:

The CGI sure as poo poo isn't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The early CGI may seem pretty janky, but it was still a pretty good show.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's a real good thing the owner of their computer was super bad at video games.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Beast Wars was way better than Reboot and Beast Machines looked incredible for its day even though the plotting was a bit poo poo.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

DoctorWhat posted:

Beast Wars was way better than Reboot and Beast Machines looked incredible for its day even though the plotting was a bit poo poo.

It definitely got better as it got along. Beast Machines was incredible.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

It's a real good thing the owner of their computer was super bad at video games.

It's me. I am the user.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was probably some office drone doing minesweeper or solitaire on his lunch break every day.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Anyone else really looking forward to the Netflix Series of Unfortunate Events? I love the books and am looking forward to seeing some of the later locations in Live Action, especially the Heimlich Hospital and Hotel Denouement.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BioEnchanted posted:

Also trying to go back and watch Reboot with no nostalgia goggles shows it for what it is: poorly aged with really dated writing. It's not just that it looks bad, it can't help that due to tech constraints, nothing about that show has aged well. Although I did enjoy Cubix, speaking of badly animated cartoons, so maybe I just found Reboot boring.

In defence of Cubix I liked how the robots malfunctioned, and Kan It was a fun character. I also liked Dr K's other minions, Kannon, Krab, Kolosal and Katastrophe. (He named all his inventions so that he could introduce then like so: "Meet Kannon! With a "K"!")

One of the robots names took me too long to get though, the evil robot that copied other robots I initially heard as Killerbot, which made sense due to him being the most dangerous, then I paid closer attention: his name was Kilobot because he was 1000 robots in one due to his ability to copy other robots abilities. He was also badass, he disabled Cubix by copying his ability to seperate his body parts at will, trapped cubixes parts between his own parts and just pulled together to crush Cubix's individual components
:black101:

Cubix was a weird show, although looking back I'd say the main issues were how the humans looked(the robots in comparison had pretty good designs), and the English dub really doesn't age well at all, it's one of those ideas that could benefit from a reboot

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Cubix was a weird show, although looking back I'd say the main issues were how the humans looked(the robots in comparison had pretty good designs), and the English dub really doesn't age well at all, it's one of those ideas that could benefit from a reboot

You mean that "Ooooh oh wowee... this soup tastes soupy I MEAN tasty..." doesn't do it for you :3:

Although an interesting writing thing was this: Cubix initially only speaks repeating key words the main character says to confirm instructions are understood. At one point all of Cubix's Solex (The stuff that powers robots and that Dr K is harvesting from the crazy ones, the madness is caused by an excess of it) is drained by the villain who leaves him for dead. Eventually Cubix manages to wake up, no longer powered by Solex but by his own will/~Power of Love~, basically becoming more than just a robot (Old trope I know, but well played) and after this he starts speaking in full sentences and coherent thoughts, which I thought was a cool distinction. He was the only robot in the series who talked like a robot except for Kolossal (Who only ever says "CRUSH!")

Speaking of old tropes I liked the way Cardcaptor Sakura played with it's cliches. I thought that was a fairly decent show. I liked that the elaborate outfits were made by Tomoyo because she was a fashionista wanting to ply her trade and that the outfits had features appropriate to the threat (The dress when fighting the Lightning Card was made of rubber to prevent shocks, when fighting Watery her dress was waterproof). Also the power of love wasn't what saved the day, it was what was at stake, in season 2 if Sakura fails to claim all the Clow Cards for herself by turning them into Sakura cards (difference being Clow is dead, his magic is dying too. The cards need to become powered by Sakura to survive) than everyone she knows will forget about the one person they care about the most, entirely.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 28, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tartarus Sauce posted:

It definitely got better as it got along. Beast Machines was incredible.

Beast Machines could never escape the terrible premise of the opening: "All those characters you grew to enjoy and love on Beast Wars? They're all missing or they lost all their cool poo poo after Beast Wars Season 1. Also, Cybertron is full of bad guys. Enjoy."

It did get some cool moments in Season 2 but weird amalgam transformers just don't ignite the imagination like machine or even animal transformers. And the plot was pretty poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BioEnchanted posted:

Anyone else really looking forward to the Netflix Series of Unfortunate Events? I love the books and am looking forward to seeing some of the later locations in Live Action, especially the Heimlich Hospital and Hotel Denouement.

It's the sort of series that would work with the minimal CGI we're used to in TV today.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is that going to be NIck frounted like the film was or?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

It's the sort of series that would work with the minimal CGI we're used to in TV today.

I thought it is live action?

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Thwomp posted:

Beast Machines could never escape the terrible premise of the opening: "All those characters you grew to enjoy and love on Beast Wars? They're all missing or they lost all their cool poo poo after Beast Wars Season 1. Also, Cybertron is full of bad guys. Enjoy."

It did get some cool moments in Season 2 but weird amalgam transformers just don't ignite the imagination like machine or even animal transformers. And the plot was pretty poo poo.

My one beef is that I feel they really distorted Rhinox's character in order to make him a secondary villain.

Also missed Silverbolt and his cool original form. When he finally came back, his new form sucked, and he was given jack poo poo to do.

Otherwise, as a kid, I got really invested in the plot because Cybertron was crawling with baddies and everything seemed hopeless, and because the whole idea of technorganic lifeforms blew my loving mind.

I also appreciated how the show explored the various forms extremism can take. Even Optimus had to realize that by initially trying to make the planet wholly organic, he was turning into the mirror image of Megatron.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it's a show that's going to live or die based on the production values and design. If they make it like the movies or a kid-friendly Hannibal where its' all amazing sets and costumes and sound design it'll be awesome, if they make it on the cheap like a sitcom it will probably be terrible.

For its flaws the movie was gorgeous, it was cool to see some of Tim Burton's long time collaborators getting to break out from under his spirals-and-pinstripes brand and do their own thing. And Thomas Newman's soundtrack was fantastic, it's probably one of my favorites of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBnHYKcCRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZHlVVjEA4

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 29, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

You mean that "Ooooh oh wowee... this soup tastes soupy I MEAN tasty..." doesn't do it for you :3:

Although an interesting writing thing was this: Cubix initially only speaks repeating key words the main character says to confirm instructions are understood. At one point all of Cubix's Solex (The stuff that powers robots and that Dr K is harvesting from the crazy ones, the madness is caused by an excess of it) is drained by the villain who leaves him for dead. Eventually Cubix manages to wake up, no longer powered by Solex but by his own will/~Power of Love~, basically becoming more than just a robot (Old trope I know, but well played) and after this he starts speaking in full sentences and coherent thoughts, which I thought was a cool distinction. He was the only robot in the series who talked like a robot except for Kolossal (Who only ever says "CRUSH!")

Speaking of old tropes I liked the way Cardcaptor Sakura played with it's cliches. I thought that was a fairly decent show. I liked that the elaborate outfits were made by Tomoyo because she was a fashionista wanting to ply her trade and that the outfits had features appropriate to the threat (The dress when fighting the Lightning Card was made of rubber to prevent shocks, when fighting Watery her dress was waterproof). Also the power of love wasn't what saved the day, it was what was at stake, in season 2 if Sakura fails to claim all the Clow Cards for herself by turning them into Sakura cards (difference being Clow is dead, his magic is dying too. The cards need to become powered by Sakura to survive) than everyone she knows will forget about the one person they care about the most, entirely.

My favorite part about Cardcaptor Sakura was the completely random web of crushes it weaved. It's like the writers were creating relationships via dice roll.

"Ok, so our protagonist will like..."

*Dice roll*

"...her older brother's best friend."

"And Lee will like..."

*Dice roll*

"...her older brother's best friend. Huh. Hey this is getting kind of weird should we try again?"

"THE DICE HAVE SPOKEN! Now roll for Tomoyo!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

readingatwork posted:

My favorite part about Cardcaptor Sakura was the completely random web of crushes it weaved. It's like the writers were creating relationships via dice roll.

"Ok, so our protagonist will like..."

*Dice roll*

"...her older brother's best friend."

"And Lee will like..."

*Dice roll*

"...her older brother's best friend. Huh. Hey this is getting kind of weird should we try again?"

"THE DICE HAVE SPOKEN! Now roll for Tomoyo!"

I liked the twist on Li's homosexuality - he wasn't crushing on Yukito (big bro's best friend), Yukito was secretly the brother to Keroberos, Yue. Kero is the guardian of the Sun, Yue the guardian of the Moon, both protect the clow cards, and by extension, Sakura. Li wasn't in love, he was drawn to Yue's ~MOON ENERGY~. He promptly becomes Sakura's boyfriend after. Also, (Yeah, I watched the original Japanese) Li's 'sister' Mei Ling - she isn't his sister, she is his arranged bride, which is why she gets so pissy about Sakura 'moving in' on her turf. The Yue thing resulted in a great scene mid-season 2 with Sakura's brother, where he confronts Yukito (knowing about his Yue persona - Yukito himself doesn't know he is Yue) and says that if Yue ever fails to keep Sakura safe, he doesn't care how powerful he is he will kick Yue's rear end. :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 29, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Stop gushing about anime like a freak.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, you're supposed to go on about how Steven Universe is the beginning of the second Animation Renaissance and Teen Titans GO!, Gumball and Uncle Grandpa never gently caress up a joke.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wish I found TTG funny.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 29, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, you're supposed to go on about how Steven Universe is the beginning of the second Animation Renaissance and Teen Titans GO!, Gumball and Uncle Grandpa never gently caress up a joke.

And that Steven Universe isn't anime Or is anime, I forgot which it is these days.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mycot posted:

And that Steven Universe isn't anime Or is anime, I forgot which it is these days.

"Good" usually works.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

I wish I found TTG funny.

It has it's moments. Just not very many of them.

Gumball on the other hand owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Fun police on the patrol

Also, the new animation renaissance started with Adventure Time hth

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 29, 2015