Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

And it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffkxPAxicM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwoTufxokh0

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
This one is objectively the best :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW8mrmuFqBw

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

GlennFinito posted:

This one is objectively the best :colbert:
haha that's the original secret move.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I like his version of the Camel Clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltbaZcsfiEI

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Sakuraba seems like a goodguy to me

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

ADCC this weekend, im hyped :)

We've got two competing from my gym!
Janne-Pekka Pietiläinen and Sophia Nordenö, woop!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm pretty excited about ADCC. Our team has Eddie Cummings, Garry Tonon, Neiman Gracie, Tom DeBlass and Jason Lees competing so someone in each weight class. AJ is GB but he trains with us off and on as well.

fatherdog and I are teammates though through different affiliates but have never run into each other.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 24, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
We've got Matt Arroyo going, definitely looking forward to it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So, I'm switching over from boxing to bjj because a) I've just moved and I'm needing a new fightsport club, and b) I've pretty much hit my celing for boxing for a number of different reasons.

Now this will be the first time in my life I've done dedicated bjj, though I have judo experience and I've trained/crosstrained with guys who have done proper bjj. I understand most of the positions and terminology, and when rolling I can land a decent number of sweeps, passes, and submissions (eg, I successfully d'arced a guy tonight) (also: I tapped 4x for every one time I subbed anyone, just so the d'arce thing doesn't seem like a brag). I can roll without being totally gassed in 2 mins. I know how not to crank a sub and hurt a guy, and I know when to concede a hold even if it doesn't actually hurt so much that I really need out, because it's just practice. I have all of that rudimentary stuff down.

Anyway, I hope to get a blue belt in a fairly nice time frame, and I'm hoping that my previous grapply knowledge in judo &c will give me a headstart on that.

My question for all of you more knowledgable folk is thus: what are the important things for me to be working on at this stage, if I want to improve steadily? Should I be drilling certain types of positions? Sweeps? Should I be thinking positions in series? Should I be considering training from a stylistic/strategic perspective this early on? (by that I mean picking a small handful of positions I like and train to do everything to end up in those positions). I know that mat time is probably the most important thing, but I'd like to be using that mat time as effectively as I can.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Shrimping. or anything to do with hip movement, imo

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
Drill not caring about what colour your belt is or how fast you get it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

My question for all of you more knowledgable folk is thus: what are the important things for me to be working on at this stage, if I want to improve steadily? Should I be drilling certain types of positions? Sweeps? Should I be thinking positions in series? Should I be considering training from a stylistic/strategic perspective this early on? (by that I mean picking a small handful of positions I like and train to do everything to end up in those positions). I know that mat time is probably the most important thing, but I'd like to be using that mat time as effectively as I can.

Write down each position, then write down all the moves you know that you can do when in that position. Pick 2 of them, the ones you feel most comfortable with, and whenever you get in that position immediately alternate between those two moves. Get yourself to the point that no matter what position you get in, you're immediately going for something without having to stop and think about it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

Write down each position, then write down all the moves you know that you can do when in that position. Pick 2 of them, the ones you feel most comfortable with, and whenever you get in that position immediately alternate between those two moves. Get yourself to the point that no matter what position you get in, you're immediately going for something without having to stop and think about it.

Great! Thanks! This sounds like a good way to go. Just off the top of my head I can think of a few positions where I can do that already (eg, if someone has me in front headlock position, I have two good moves that I have acceptable success rates on), some where I have one, and some where I find myself stopping and thinking. Organizing my knowledge will help, because it will better help me to identify holes, which I can then put effort into filling.

Kind of following that, in the past I've often gone to the Stephan Kesting vids when I've been researching positions, especially his "Fighting Bigger Opponents" series (because I'm ~150 lb and getting tossed around or knee-on-chested by someone who is 250 lb sucks). How do you find him generally, and that series, specifically?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Stephen Kesting is pretty good, I've used a bunch of stuff I learned from him irl.

The best bjj instructional is still Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University though.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've talked it up before in other threads but I particularly like Kesting's submission defense app. It's really unique in that lots of guys have instructionals showing off their favorite subs and sweeps with maybe some defense mixed in. The sub defense app totally inverts that and so did a lot to round me out as a late white belt / early blue. Usually available quite cheap as well.

One fun thing about the Bigger Opponent series is that different installments feature either Emily Kwok or Brandon Mullins and they often have totally opposite answers to a given problem. It's all good stuff I think but if you start exploring them you'll probably finding yourself gravitating towards one or the other.

Decades fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 27, 2015

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Kesting's stuff is fundamental but I feel like he's kind of 'old school' compared to the lightweight brackets at present. Obviously you want to have all the basics down, but also be aware that the top lightweight competitors are heavily focused on inversions, berimbolos, DLR/RDLR variants, and foot/ankle/leg attacks right now, so you need to at least be comfortable with that stuff to really excel. Definitely keep an eye out for Mendes bros instructionals to guide you through the 'new basics'

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just made myself a document for either side of the 6 basic positions (guard/half/side/mount/back/head). The funny thing is that the positions where I have stonger moves also tend to be the ones in which I was able to think of fewer options overall. I.e., I know lots of things that I can do when someone is in my full guard, but they all tend to be pretty low percentage for me. I'm sure as I roll more I'll start subdividing the various positions.

Looks like the first holes that I will want to fill will be both sides of full guard and what to do when in someone else's half guard.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

A Wry Smile posted:

Kesting's stuff is fundamental but I feel like he's kind of 'old school' compared to the lightweight brackets at present. Obviously you want to have all the basics down, but also be aware that the top lightweight competitors are heavily focused on inversions, berimbolos, DLR/RDLR variants, and foot/ankle/leg attacks right now, so you need to at least be comfortable with that stuff to really excel. Definitely keep an eye out for Mendes bros instructionals to guide you through the 'new basics'

How about tricks for heavier dudes? I'm struggling to actually make any progress as i've been doing BJJ for a little more than a year now and still don't feel like I can move properly in a few circumstances and can't reset once i'm caught in turtle (I'm a 6'1" 200 pounder dude that's probably goign to stay at that weight).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

A Wry Smile posted:

DLR/RDLR is pretty basic stuff that just about any school should be addressing in class, and tbh as long as someone else in your gym is working inversions and berimbolos you should be getting enough practice to deal with it even if it isn't part of your game. Foot/ankle/leg attacks, of course, lag behind everything else in most gyms, granted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Odddzy posted:

How about tricks for heavier dudes? I'm struggling to actually make any progress as i've been doing BJJ for a little more than a year now and still don't feel like I can move properly in a few circumstances and can't reset once i'm caught in turtle (I'm a 6'1" 200 pounder dude that's probably goign to stay at that weight).

For me (6'4" 295 pounder), the only success I have getting out of turtle is to try to get around to a single, even if that means going back to a hip or my back to shrimp into position for it. You're gonna be tempted to just try to hulk your way up, but it's not easy to just stand out of the turtle. The other guy will be able to control your base and keep you from standing regardless of how strong you are. Instead, go back to actual techniques and forget that you're bigger and stronger. Ask your instructor to show you a few escapes from turtle (and from guard) and then pick the one you like the most and just drill it.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I'm 6'2" 215lbs. My go to moves from turtle are granby's or sitting back through to my guard

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

If you feel like you're not moving well, what helped me was grabbing a partner and do "flow" rolling where you don't look for submissions you and your partner are just looking to move through the positions, without breaking "contact".

http://www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com/2008/03/flow-drill-for-jiu-jitsu <- Pretty much this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KildarX posted:

If you feel like you're not moving well, what helped me was grabbing a partner and do "flow" rolling where you don't look for submissions you and your partner are just looking to move through the positions, without breaking "contact".

http://www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com/2008/03/flow-drill-for-jiu-jitsu <- Pretty much this.

Oh poo poo that seems amazing and way more productive than getting triangled over and over. I'm going to try to get a partner to do that on Saturday.

By the way, after two consecutive evenings on the mat, my chest, back, and shoulders feel as if I did a full compound lift workout, my chest especially.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Foot/ankle/leg attacks, of course, lag behind everything else in most gyms, granted.

On this subject and ADCC this weekend, here's a cool interview with Eddie Cummings:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/28/9221527/eddie-cummings-on-why-hes-a-scathing-indictment-of-how-jiu-jitsu

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

John Danaher is starting to sound like some sort of all-knowing lovecraftian horror that Knows All Secrets and Lurks Behind All Truths

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

John Danaher is starting to sound like some sort of all-knowing lovecraftian horror that Knows All Secrets and Lurks Behind All Truths

Renzo's said for years that Danaher is the finest strategic mind he's ever produced, and he's widely been considered one of the best BJJ coaches in the world within the community.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've been having a long plateau where there are no new guys in the advanced class and everyone I train with is slightly to significantly better than me and improving at the same rate, so I have no benchmark for progress besides maybe taking slightly longer to tap. I know that's often part of the process and that I'm secretly invisibly improving even if it doesn't feel like it. So I guess I'm just taking a sec to bitch about it. It's not about winning and it's all good, but not gonna lie it'd be nice to style on a scrub every now and again.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Decades posted:

It's not about winning and it's all good

Yeah the bigger issue is just not being able to get enough quality reps for your offense. Hopefully you get some new blood in soon.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

Yeah the bigger issue is just not being able to get enough quality reps for your offense.

I should invest in one of those ridiculous grappling dummies

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Renzo's said for years that Danaher is the finest strategic mind he's ever produced, and he's widely been considered one of the best BJJ coaches in the world within the community.

wish he was my grapple-dad :3:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Brackets are up:

biggies

womans 60+
womans under 60

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Cobrinha and Eddie on the same side of the bracket, was thinking that could've been the finals...would love to see Geo win the other side and go against one of these guys.

Tonon vs Danis in round 1 :munch:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 29, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Better brackets:
http://www.adcombat.com/adcc-worlds-2015-brackets

1st round of heavies:
Lister won by straight arm lock from half guard
Sanchez won
Magalhaes wins by heel hook.
** Rodrigo Artilheiro v Leonardo Nascimento Lucio ?
Cavaca wins via refereee decision
Dodd won
Rocha won
Marte won

1st round -99kg:
assis won
uminski won

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 29, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Live updates here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/29/9224593/adcc-2015-live-results-and-open-thread-day-1
Luke Thomas is also live-tweeting it: https://twitter.com/SBNLukeThomas

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Bendo got choked out in his first fight
Tonon and Cummings both eliminated on points in the quarters
Vinny Magalhaes actually hit a twister on someone :eyepop:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Missed some quarterfinals with stream fuckups, why didn't Popovich go in his 2nd round match?

e: also goddamn, I think I cracked a few vertebrae just watching Glover get slammed on those zebra mats by Geo

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 29, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Kekekela posted:

e: also goddamn, I think I cracked a few vertebrae just watching Glover get slammed on those zebra mats by Geo

Yeah I didn't know that was permitted in ADCC but apparently so.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Yeah I didn't know that was permitted in ADCC but apparently so.

Adcc rules are that you can slam if you're in a sub, but not any other time.

It's dumb, but them's the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Adcc rules are that you can slam if you're in a sub, but not any other time.

It's dumb, but them's the rules.

Yeah, this is not a good rule if you're going to be using (harder than a loving diamond) zebra mats.

I'm going back through and watching the quarterfinals that I missed when the stream hosed up on me earlier...what the gently caress is up with the mummification of Cavaca, I'm trying to watch Joao and Kamil on the main screen but all the bandages flying around on the inset is too distracting. :laugh: