Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

And

Approximate equivalents of lens focal length
35mm 4x5 8x10
20mm 65mm 120mm
24mm 75mm 155mm
28mm 90mm 200mm
35mm 115mm 240mm
45mm 150mm 300mm
52mm 180mm 360mm
63mm 210mm 420mm
90mm 300mm 600mm
105mm 360mm 720mm
135mm 480mm 900mm

From the toyo website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Here's a PDF with all that stuff that I keep laying around
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4huWXAhxTlweXpEMU16Vjh5TW8/view?usp=sharing

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm the guy who commented on your 'gram about the handle and the folding focus hood. This is what I was talking about :

http://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-67-folding-focusing-hood.html

I find it super useful for waist level stuff because it includes a magnifying loupe which is great for focusing. Also it's way lighter than the prism and you don't have to lug that stupid thing around.

Then again I'm a big ol noob so maybe you dont have any problems with these things.

You know, I never really shoot at waist level, but for my dumb Instagram gimmick poo poo, it may be better for a brighter image in the waist-level finder. I just wish I could have a brighter image without carrying one more thing around.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ah, that's super handy!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

what the gently caress posted:

And

35mm 4x5 8x10
20mm 65mm 120mm
24mm 75mm 155mm
28mm 90mm 200mm
35mm 115mm 240mm
45mm 150mm 300mm
52mm 180mm 360mm
63mm 210mm 420mm
90mm 300mm 600mm
105mm 360mm 720mm
135mm 480mm 900mm

From the toyo website

This table seems to be based on horizontal AOV. In my experience, comparing diagonals works better when you have different aspect ratios. In that case it'd be more like this:

35mm 4x5 8x10
20mm 75mm 150mm
24mm 90mm 180mm
28mm 105mm 210mm
35mm 135mm 270mm
48mm 180mm 360mm
55mm 210mm 420mm
80mm 300mm 600mm
95mm 360mm 720mm
120mm 450mm 900mm

I've always most enjoyed using 35mm on 35mm film. The most directly comparable experience on 4x5 is my Nikkor-W 135mm and on 8x10 it's my Fujinon-W 250mm.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

FWIW, 120mm on the 4x5 is very very close to 80mm on 6x6, just a bit wider only. Though I'm starting to enjoy using 150mm on the 4x5.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

alkanphel posted:

FWIW, 120mm on the 4x5 is very very close to 80mm on 6x6, just a bit wider only.

This makes it sound like you're comparing vertical AOV.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

This makes it sound like you're comparing vertical AOV.

Yeah I basically pointed them at the same scene and saw that they captured the same scene, except that the 4x5 had more space on the long side.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i just bought a big wood grip and strap lugs for my p67 but i looked on ebay and these are very tempting.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
iphone pic of 8x10 plate of Tasman Bridge, Hobart.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That's a really nice plate, good stuff :taco:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Thanks buddy. I got my roster for work today. Another 5 months down at the ice again starting in December. Started to stockpile on some chems. Getting very excited to take it down there. I believe I may actually be the first person to take WPC down there? I know Hurley used glass negs/dry plates but I don't think WPC has been done down there before. With that intense UV and this fast etherless collodion I reckon I could get exposures in the 1/125 - 1/30 range at f.5.6

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Thanks buddy. I got my roster for work today. Another 5 months down at the ice again starting in December. Started to stockpile on some chems. Getting very excited to take it down there. I believe I may actually be the first person to take WPC down there? I know Hurley used glass negs/dry plates but I don't think WPC has been done down there before. With that intense UV and this fast etherless collodion I reckon I could get exposures in the 1/125 - 1/30 range at f.5.6
Oh poo poo I just realized you're sludge tank :downs: I was wondering what happened to that guy.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Saint Fu posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized you're sludge tank :downs: I was wondering what happened to that guy.

I was hoping my horrible posting would have been enough of a give away.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That would be rad getting to shoot wpc down there, perfect for low contrast landscapes. Just don't create an environmental emergency down there by spilling your silver bath on a penguin or something.

I do have a book of the first photographers that went down to Antarctica, and they shot dry-plate and were making carbon prints from them, definitely not wet plate.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Ah man if you get a chance to see that The Photograph and Australia exhibition I seriously recommend it. They have some of Frank Hurley's large carbon prints there. I don't know if they were from film or plates (they were pretty sharp/fast so maybe film?) loving incredible. I've never seen a print like that and in the flesh, up close, the resolution was mind blowing. Well worth seeing. Was a really humbling/encouraging exhibition to see.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is 4.5x6 a decent format? There's a Semi Leotax near here for $55, I believe it's a Semi Leotax DL based on the picture. 16 exposures on a roll of 120 sounds neat but of course your negatives come out smaller. Interesting-looking camera:

(the pics in the ad are poo poo but this looks like the same thing)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is 4.5x6 a decent format? There's a Semi Leotax near here for $55, I believe it's a Semi Leotax DL based on the picture. 16 exposures on a roll of 120 sounds neat but of course your negatives come out smaller. Interesting-looking camera:

I took this with FP4 on a Mamiya 645. It's not bad.

Corgg. by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

There's nothing inherently wrong with 645 cameras, but take in to account you're getting the worst of both worlds between 35mm and MF. On the other hand, folders are nice and compact and there are worse ways to spend $55.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

try it with a lime posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with 645 cameras, but take in to account you're getting the worst of both worlds between 35mm and MF. On the other hand, folders are nice and compact and there are worse ways to spend $55.

Yeah it won't be bad but for the price I would get an old 6x9 folder instead.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
$55 is certainly worth it to get your feet wet in medium format. Shoot black and white so you don't blow C41 money if there's a bunch of light leaks in the bellows or something.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Wide angle on a 6x7 is fun.

Wheeling by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

voodoorootbeer posted:

$55 is certainly worth it to get your feet wet in medium format. Shoot black and white so you don't blow C41 money if there's a bunch of light leaks in the bellows or something.

Labs here charge double the price for B&W processing. Are the materials actually cheaper if you develop yourself?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iSheep posted:

Labs here charge double the price for B&W processing. Are the materials actually cheaper if you develop yourself?

Much cheaper, and the 35mm gear/chems I already have would transfer right over to 120, excepting the enlarger's negative carrier.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Black and white is dirt cheap.

I think I've got about 90 dollars of equipment and chemicals and I have enough to process about 150 rolls.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm running out of permawash before anything else, I'd have expected it to be the developer first but I've switched to stand development so I'm only using 5mL at a time.

Edit: just realized why, it's because I use the same bottle in both film and paper dev, and unlike fixer I can't re-use it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Then I've got no idea why the are charging more for the processing of B&W.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

iSheep posted:

Then I've got no idea why the are charging more for the processing of B&W.

Because all C41 gets processed the same way regardless of film speed/emulsion/whatever. Not counting stand processing, which a lab isn't going to do, B&W dev has to be timed differently for every emulsion. They're also probably doing much smaller volumes of B&W with similar fixed costs.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
C41 is strap it to a card and bang it in a machine.
B+W means one of the lab staff has to watch a dev tank with a timer for half an hour. Wayyyyy more labor intensive.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrBlandAverage posted:

Because all C41 gets processed the same way regardless of film speed/emulsion/whatever. Not counting stand processing, which a lab isn't going to do, B&W dev has to be timed differently for every emulsion. They're also probably doing much smaller volumes of B&W with similar fixed costs.

Got it. I kind of figured as much.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Katrina, an English rose and phenomenally beautiful stranger, in London. by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pagoda Street by alkanphel, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:haw:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Proof of concept: forest mushroom cyanotype from medium format negative on... log by Alex, on Flickr

Who says you can't contact print 6x6?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That's frickin' rad

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
img209 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

img200 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
What up guise, new to the MF party. I got a Pentax 67 and shot my first roll and scanned it. I'm a terrible photographer but still super pumped. Enjoy my facebook photos.

img053 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
img054 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
img039 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

HNasty posted:

What up guise, new to the MF party. I got a Pentax 67 and shot my first roll and scanned it. I'm a terrible photographer but still super pumped. Enjoy my facebook photos.

img053 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
img054 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr
img039 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Congrats on your new blunt weapon!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sunset Way by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pham Nuwen posted:

6x4.5 is fine, it's the camera that makes the difference. With MF/LF it's all about film flatness and front-standard alignment and rigidity, because small misalignments mean hosed-up corners due to the shallower depth of field. I have a GS645 that's nice and stiff with a meter and a coated Planar, it's fantastic.

A 75/3.5 lens is considered fast for a triplet, so you're in for some soft corners and field curvature when you're wide open. On the other hand once you're down a couple stops you'll do OK. You don't have a rangefinder, so you'll have to guess ranges, which can compound these isssues. I have a non-RF Ikonta with a coated Novar triplet that I like shooting with Ektar as my "holga" because it tends to produce a lot of wonky results. That lens should be similar, but somewhat more flare-y since it's uncoated. Triplet lenses handle flare better than other uncoated lenses because there's fewer surfaces for the light to flare on.

I think that's a good deal assuming it works, I'd say look it over carefully and give it a shot. Wind the lens and make sure it fires - even a novice should be able to hear a noticeable difference between speeds up to 1/125 at a minimum, past that it's just how quick the "snap" happens. The low speeds (below 1/30) tend to stick but you use them less. Take a flashlight and shine it through the bellows while you look for pinholes from behind. If you can talk them into it, take it into a bathroom and it will be easier.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 8, 2015

• Locked thread