Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

I'm gonna give that a try. See how it turns out.

BTW, it's not a multiplication issue. It's just that they get as input from the OS "mouse moved 1 pixel", and their engine always translates it to "view camera rotates 0.05 degrees" (or some other fixed number). That works fine if your camera is always at the same zoom level and you tune it for the default. But if the camera view changes from 90° down to 10° as with a binoc, then those 0.05 degrees are suddenly huge. The fix would be 2 simple divisions, cachable whenever the camera zoom changes.

It's extra weird for that bug to remain in, since that logic is also needed for stick controls.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you've already said you tried this and it didn't work, but just in case:

I really wouldn't go changing the Windows mouse setting for anything outside of some fringe cases with Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mechanics question for GZ and TPP, is there a difference at the end of the day between tranqing a nerd, punching a nerd, choking a nerd, or stabbing/shooting a nerd? Do any of those nerds come back, either by waking up or respawn mechanics?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Mechathief posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that you've already said you tried this and it didn't work, but just in case:
I didn't mess around with it a lot, no. I played GZ on PS3 already and it was perfectly fine there, only gave it a try on PC to see if it was a thorough port and if PC might be the better option. Noted gun iron sights being a little odd, whipped out the binocs; and immediately realized that their control algorithm was incomplete, then only watched the patches for a while and gave up.

Only asking now because i'm unsure whether to get PS3 of PC TPP, since my PC has as much gpu power as a PS3, BUT has a mouse attached.

Trying the sensitivity thing now.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Ciaphas posted:

Mechanics question for GZ and TPP, is there a difference at the end of the day between tranqing a nerd, punching a nerd, choking a nerd, or stabbing/shooting a nerd? Do any of those nerds come back, either by waking up or respawn mechanics?

You'd probably only really notice the difference on hard, they wake up faster depending on how you take them down, like choking and tranqing a nerd is the shortest KO time while full on beating down a nerd and taking their lunch money keeps them passed out the longest, probably due to shame.

Pretty sure they don't wake up if you shoot them in the head with bullets though :zombie:

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 28, 2015

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can also hold people up and they stay down until either someone comes and kicks them or an alarm goes off. You can very easily switch around between different non-dead states, for example if you have to knock a guy out because he sees you, you can just kick him while he's down and hold him up, or you can knock out a guy who's held up, carry him somewhere, wake him up and hold him up again. You have a large degree of flexibility in how you gently caress with the AI and you really want to exploit it all. The game is loaded with mechanics and the more of them you use on a regular basis the more fun you'll have.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
I can't decide if I should play TPP with mouse and keyboard or gamepad, provided the PC control issues have been addressed. For pretty much any third person single player game I'd use a gamepad and play it on the TV, but with the FOB pvp stuff I'm thinking that mouse aiming is probably better for accuracy and speed. If only I weren't such a god drat tryhard.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

I didn't mess around with it a lot, no. I played GZ on PS3 already and it was perfectly fine there, only gave it a try on PC to see if it was a thorough port and if PC might be the better option. Noted gun iron sights being a little odd, whipped out the binocs; and immediately realized that their control algorithm was incomplete, then only watched the patches for a while and gave up.

Only asking now because i'm unsure whether to get PS3 of PC TPP, since my PC has as much gpu power as a PS3, BUT has a mouse attached.

Trying the sensitivity thing now.

I understand. I'm only pushing the solution I know of in this case because I finally became tired of the angle skipping problem when I was playing PAYDAY 2 a few months ago. I read up on how camera angle movement is tied to in-game sensitivity (like what you've described earlier, actually) and then how DPI works with that in tandem and... I've since fixed my problem with angle skipping in those games that gave me the problem, this one included. I know it works so I want to help :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Have they tweaked the body physics in TPP any? It was a little weird having super floaty ragdolls when dead guys in the previous games had weight.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The precision of a mouse just didn't seem necessary to me in GZ except for the Kojima mission. And that's only if you wanted to Pacifist the Kojima mission. TPP isn't going to be Arma. You won't have to be super precise with your shots. It will depend a lot more on knowing the bullet drop on your weapons instead of fast twitch aiming.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

K8.0 posted:

You can also hold people up and they stay down until either someone comes and kicks them or an alarm goes off. You can very easily switch around between different non-dead states, for example if you have to knock a guy out because he sees you, you can just kick him while he's down and hold him up, or you can knock out a guy who's held up, carry him somewhere, wake him up and hold him up again. You have a large degree of flexibility in how you gently caress with the AI and you really want to exploit it all. The game is loaded with mechanics and the more of them you use on a regular basis the more fun you'll have.

JFC I forgot you could do holdups entirely, I did them all the time in the other games :mad:

I need to muck about in Ground Zeroes some more, I play so boringly by default.

Speaking of controls, is there a faster way to move a still-conscious person somewhere else than grabbing and dragging? That is so unbelievably slow :(

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I kept having this weird issue last night while playing the main GZ mission where I'd go to the power station area, tranq all 4 guys, then start hustling all the bodies into the little room with the ammo and guns. The issue is though that every time I started moving bodies, one would just simply not be there anymore. I would pick up three, and move them but when I'd go to the spot where the 4th body should be, there's only the dude's gun. I had to leave the area and come back for his body to spawn. It's like Unreal pop in, but with sleeping men.

^^^^ Pick them up and chuck them as far as you can, continue forever.^^^^^

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Yardbomb posted:

Have they tweaked the body physics in TPP any? It was a little weird having super floaty ragdolls when dead guys in the previous games had weight.

I only know that they've made it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x1fM36OV0g

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

The precision of a mouse just didn't seem necessary to me in GZ except for the Kojima mission. And that's only if you wanted to Pacifist the Kojima mission. TPP isn't going to be Arma. You won't have to be super precise with your shots. It will depend a lot more on knowing the bullet drop on your weapons instead of fast twitch aiming.

It depends on quickly you can line up shots with a stick versus a mouse. For instance, I suck at acquiring targets with a stick. I'm great at it with a mouse.

In this case, it means I can actually turn off Reflex and get a nice score boost and still manage it because I can quickly shoot people in the head with a Tranq gun if they spot me but before they can yell out and sound the alarm in GZ.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tamayachi posted:

I kept having this weird issue last night while playing the main GZ mission where I'd go to the power station area, tranq all 4 guys, then start hustling all the bodies into the little room with the ammo and guns. The issue is though that every time I started moving bodies, one would just simply not be there anymore. I would pick up three, and move them but when I'd go to the spot where the 4th body should be, there's only the dude's gun. I had to leave the area and come back for his body to spawn. It's like Unreal pop in, but with sleeping men.

Yeah that's one of the technical issues I was scared for in TPP before, phantom tranq/corpse was hopefully serious enough to get fixed quick.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mechathief posted:

I understand. I'm only pushing the solution I know of in this case because I finally became tired of the angle skipping problem when I was playing PAYDAY 2 a few months ago. I read up on how camera angle movement is tied to in-game sensitivity (like what you've described earlier, actually) and then how DPI works with that in tandem and... I've since fixed my problem with angle skipping in those games that gave me the problem, this one included. I know it works so I want to help :v:
I appreciate it.

Also, trip report: Yeah, it becomes playable with less sensitivity. Annoying as hell to have to throw my mouse across the screen when not zoomed in though, and annoying enough for me to skip on the PC version unless i'm 100% they fixed that, and take the PS3 version instead.

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's not about precision, and in fact, the precision is super good for most of the game. However the further zoomed in you get the more your mouse just plain skips. You move it a tiny bit and your cursor ingame outright jumps 20 pixels. Good luck trying to snipe someone if you can't physically get your crosshair on them. :v:

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Only got the AA-gun mission for fastest marking left. Managed to get to 39/40 and I couldn't for the life of me find the last dude. I ran around shooting into the air, chucking grenades, everything.

I wonder if he fell through the map or something?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

MrLonghair posted:

"C'mon man, quit faking it, I barely tapped you!"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mechathief posted:

It depends on quickly you can line up shots with a stick versus a mouse. For instance, I suck at acquiring targets with a stick. I'm great at it with a mouse.

In this case, it means I can actually turn off Reflex and get a nice score boost and still manage it because I can quickly shoot people in the head with a Tranq gun if they spot me but before they can yell out and sound the alarm in GZ.

Ah. I just got used to Hard mode in GZ where tranq rounds are at a premium. Incorporating CQC made shutting down those guards that spotted me before they could raise an alert more reliable. If you're far away, it's still difficult to headshot with the mk22 quickly because the the bullet drop. CQC is much better with a controller.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

I appreciate it.

Also, trip report: Yeah, it becomes playable with less sensitivity. Annoying as hell to have to throw my mouse across the screen when not zoomed in though, and annoying enough for me to skip on the PC version unless i'm 100% they fixed that, and take the PS3 version instead.

Aww, ah well. At least they did fix it for TPP, as someone reported earlier.

I remember now that 1600 was not enough at 0 sensitivity when I was testing it out... I'm not a fan of having to use 3000 DPI myself, but I've since adjusted to it so eh.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ah. I just got used to Hard mode in GZ where tranq rounds are at a premium. Incorporating CQC made shutting down those guards that spotted me before they could raise an alert more reliable. If you're far away, it's still difficult to headshot with the mk22 quickly because the the bullet drop. CQC is much better with a controller.

Yeah, it's on occasion, here or there, when they do spot me, but when it happens it's nice to have that level of control; I'm sure those who excel with a stick feel the same way. You're definitely right about CQC; I've been remembering the basics myself to cut down my use of Tranqs even further.

One of the other tactics I've been practicing is the use of live rounds to put the enemy in a stagger animation (sometimes in groups of two or three, even) rather than having them yell out, and then chain the CQC slam/knockout on them. Old hat to plenty of you folks I'm sure, but I'm having fun relearning it all.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 28, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MrLonghair posted:

Reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSt1ptsOjL0

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Look Sir Droids posted:

I found bullet drop to be pretty easy to internalize, especially with range indicators on the tags above enemies' heads. As a previous poster said, though, it's mostly acquiring the targets that's way faster with a mouse. If you're decent at calculating bullet drop on the fly, you're much more likely to get a headshot off. Especially if you're better at mouse aiming than stick aiming, and I think most PC players are.

If I have to take out more than one guard at once to avoid detection I'm pretty much screwed with the stick, even with reflex. Two is doable, but three is really hard.

In PvE I don't care, but if I have to go head to head with some rear end in a top hat trying to steal my stuff in my base I don't want to handicap myself. gently caress it, I'll just learn how to play with both a controller and mouse + keyboard and adapt according to the situation. I'll stop sperging (about this) now.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mechathief posted:

Aww, ah well. At least they did fix it for TPP, as someone reported earlier.
Huh, must've missed that. Where was that?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Kiggles posted:

EDIT: there was a Steam community post by Koji Pro specifically addressing this had been fixed for TPP.

I'll try to find the link

EDIT: Closest quote I could find regarding it:

robertpeelerkjp posted:

After our PC launch of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, back in December, many players have asked us to separate the graphics options and allow for greater control over depth of field and other graphic settings. We’ve listened to this feedback and are implementing separate settings for a variety of the controls related to graphics. This will be implemented for in-game activity, but I’m afraid we can’t change setting differences for cutscenes.

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/games/287700/announcements/detail/801990781197940705

double edit: depth of field is not field of view; I have no idea where the confirmation was made.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 29, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I grew weak and looked up some Fat Miller gameplay.

First thing I see: Tranq gun has limited suppressor

That's it, the game is ruined.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Are there any good and affordable figures or kits of metal gear REX and/or RAY? I want a metal gear in my home.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why is this happening to me? Install won't budge.
Prologue was insane though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mithaldu posted:

and annoying enough for me to skip on the PC version unless i'm 100% they fixed that, and take the PS3 version instead.
Why not use the PS3 controller on your PC? Or any controller, a 360 one, etc.

Bholder posted:

Peel some caps off on some fools, it's fuuuuun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bholder posted:

That's at rank 1 though. You can upgrade stuff in PP. Also there are plenty more non-lethal options now.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Seems like it's kept you waiting, huh?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

There is justice in the world.

RatHat posted:

That's at rank 1 though. You can upgrade stuff in PP. Also there are plenty more non-lethal options now.

nah I just got used to the balance of GZ, where Tranq gun had infinite supressor but limited ammo, while the rifle was basically the other way around with you stealing ammo from soldiers.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
The answer is to stop relying on tranq darts and remember the basics of CQC.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

was there some long con by other early game havers? Wah

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Murderist posted:

The answer is to stop relying on tranq darts and remember the basics of CQC.

I already did since I'm a terrible shot.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

was there some long con by other early game havers? Wah

Maybe it's a trick; The patriots/AI Colonel is up to it's old (new?) tricks again. I need scissors! 61!

vvv You're probably well-off with the PS3 version if the PC isn't doing you any extra favors. I mean, You'll get access to MGO sooner if you care about it, and can get TPP on PC later when it undoubtedly gets a price cut during a steam sale.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 29, 2015

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Why not use the PS3 controller on your PC? Or any controller, a 360 one, etc.
IIRC ps3 controller requires some janky fuckery with 3rd party software to get working and i don't have a 360 controller.

Additionally my Nvidia Quadro 2000M is not strictly better than what the PS3 has, so it's a case to case call of what's better.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Xbox won't let me share videos, kind of annoying.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how do i upload my ground zeroes save on the ps4 or is there no need

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

how do i upload my ground zeroes save on the ps4 or is there no need

It just reads your save on consoles.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Deleting the game data and reinstalling solved it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if it's gonna be possible to replay the Hospital opening whenever we want to, or do we have to start a new game for that?

IIRC you could replay all missions in Peace Walker, but the Hospital mission looks like it's gonna be completely different from the rest of this game.

• Locked thread