Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
And now, Ryoko may only play an important role in one episode (that I've watched; like I said, S2 will be new to me, as will the movie if I can get a hold of it,) but it is quite an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to be finishing S1 tonight and it will be an incredible test of personal strength to not post gifs from the finale

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It's really easy to get a hold of the movie

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I got bored of writing an essay about haruhi suffice to say that the choice of episodes for the broadcast order and the order they air in is not only to allow an end of season climax but also lets the mystery of the melancholy plotline develop without giving away spoilers

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Iirc you will not see or be explicitly told anything in a sidestory that is not mentioned first in a melancholy ep, although there are hints.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I got to 464 words about the premise and half of episode 1 before I realised that writing essays is not what I watch anime for

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anyone know of any cool instrumental versions or remixes of the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARXHNDY8Xg

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
So I just caught up with this thread, and now I'm watching ahead because I forgot how amazing this series is. It's been years since I last watched all the episodes, so I'm glad I noticed this thread and decided to give it a rewatch. One thing I don't think I appreciated when I was younger is how beautiful this show looks. The things the animators do in regards to composition, lighting, and animation are astounding, and really show a dedication to the craft that is rare to find in a lot of animated shows.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I'd never seen the dub for Live Alive before, I have to say that Wendee Lee does a very respectable job during that one scene. Credit to the translation team as well, the lip synching was pretty well maintained considering how difficult that must have been to time correctly.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I agree that it is respectable given the constraints... but it isn't good at all

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I an excited to listen to this when I have a chance thank you

Any idea what time the OP comes in?

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

I an excited to listen to this when I have a chance thank you

Any idea what time the OP comes in?

For once, YouTube comments aren't terrible.

37:11 - 42:02 Bouken Desho Desho?

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Kyoani's 2nd greatest crime is not animating all the random side stories, Fumoffu style.

Their greatest crime is not animating more Full Metal Panic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just finished S1...still one of my favorite finales ever. I get chills for 5 straight minutes once the music kicks in.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Caught up with where you guys are at now (and accidentally watched two episodes ahead. Whoops...), and drat, this show is excellent. Greatly enjoying watching in the broadcast order and being very confused now and again. Loving how the show is making certain things obvious (e.g. Haruhi's interest in Kyon), and yet is very good at keeping it subtle and not shoving it in your face. Definitely something that's not usually a strong suit in most anime. Plus all sorts of small jokes, references, and nice details hidden in the background that I would've have noticed at all if you lot hadn't been pointing them out. And the animation, lighting, etc. is all fantastic.

As for theories about what exactly the point of Kyon being around is, I'm guessing his 'power' is, in a sense, that he can control Haruhi's power, as I've seen some others say. Koizumi, Asahina and Nagato have all admitted they're just there to keep an eye on Haruhi and keep her happy for the most part, so they just go along with whatever she wants to do, and they've never managed to change her mind when they've tried in any case. Kyon, however, does it all the time. Whether this is simply because he's the only one Haruhi bothers listening to because she likes him, or if it's something larger, like Kyon potentially being the only one who's able to resist her power (i.e. Haruhi's unable to use her god powers to alter or control Kyon and his decisions), I don't know, but it's interesting to think about. Personally, I prefer the latter theory, but the former seems more likely to be true for now. Or maybe it's both.

I doubt we'll see any concrete answers by the end anyway, but I'm certainly looking forward to watching more!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'll be out with friends tomorrow night so I watched those two episodes early and they were fantastic. You're all in for a treat.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'll be out with friends tomorrow night so I watched those two episodes early and they were fantastic. You're all in for a treat.

I also watched today's episodes early for slightly different reasons and can confirm. Please get excited.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'm going to be traveling next week, so I may just download the entire Endless Eight and watch it on the plane rather than tax the rather lackluster internet connection at my destination.

e: actually, looking at the schedule again, that may not be necessary.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 29, 2015

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Ya, The Day of Sagittarius is really fun and Live Alive is incredible, I love it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The drink of the evening is the Cuba Libre. I require that if you have the wherewithal, you make and drink one or more while watching Haruhi.

3 parts cola + 1 part rum over ice, squeeze a lime wedge into it and drop it in.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I completely forgot we were even doing this until I ragequit out of rocket league and saw it was 5 minutes to go time.

Dodged a bullet.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The drink of the evening is the Cuba Libre. I require that if you have the wherewithal, you make and drink one or more while watching Haruhi.

3 parts cola + 1 part rum over ice, squeeze a lime wedge into it and drop it in.

I'm drinking coffee instead :D

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The pros drink 50-50

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Of all the times too not have the ingredients for my favorite drink...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Go time.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I had everything except the lime auuuuugh

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Oops, I started a little early.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

piko-piko

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm drinking a big beer. Cheers

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Alright, my favorite episode! :neckbeard:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...So now we're watching Gunbuster?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

...So now we're watching Gunbuster?

You're watching space battleship yamato actually

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...So, is this a game they're playing, or is this episode just a total AU non-sequitor?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kyon, don't act smug, you're just asking for trouble.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

OH MY GOD. How did I forget about this episode!? It had totally left my mind. This is amazing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, yeah, we're playing a video game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

HURRICANE KICK

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
DYNAMIC ENTRY more like. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pfft. Games? On Discs? Don't these scrubs have Steam?

Also, that was clearly a drop-kick.

• Locked thread