Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

codo27 posted:

I don't even know why I do really. It looks pretty but I hate not having context actions

Leave feedback saying this with some details?

That is what I would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

wolrah posted:

Hey, look at that.

They're fixing the inconsistent context menu appearances.
For people that have many programs that add things to their context menu, it's probably going to take up half the screen now.

Obviously the context menu margins need to be smaller if using keyboard and mouse.

Edit:

KillHour posted:

Edit: Cortana uses 37MB of memory. This is outrageous! :bahgawd:
If you don't open the search UI it will shrink down to under half a MB after a bit of inactivity.

Windows 10 seems to be good about suspending processes that aren't being used.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 29, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Is there a reason copy dialogs insist on showing up underneath every other window? It's kind of annoying to have the only indication that Ctrl-V did anything be the little green progress indicator in the taskbar.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Is there a reason copy dialogs insist on showing up underneath every other window? It's kind of annoying to have the only indication that Ctrl-V did anything be the little green progress indicator in the taskbar.
Yeah, this has been happening since Windows 7 (at least) and always drives me nuts. I've googled it a few times over the years and haven't ever found a way to fix it. If someone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The freeware thread is archived soooo

Movie maker isn't a part of 10 and isn't ~officially supported~ I'm gonna use it anyway but is there anything else out there I might consider as a replacement? Not that I need much in the way of extra features

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

codo27 posted:

Movie maker isn't a part of 10 and isn't ~officially supported~ I'm gonna use it anyway but is there anything else out there I might consider as a replacement? Not that I need much in the way of extra features

VideoPad has a free version that doesn't have many features, it's actually a decent program although the full version is too expensive ($40) for what it is. Or there is Sony Movie Studio Basic which is $30 and has the same features as VideoPad (which is not many).

Corel Video Studio X7 Ultimate is what I use, it works well, is intuitive, and should be dirt cheap because X8 just came out.

In W10 news, I've had more crashes in the weeks I've been on W10 than in all the years of using XP and W7 combined; I really regret accepting the update. I should go back but outside the instabilities I really like W10. Worse is there is no one thing causing all the problems. When I use Chrome and Youtube together, the computer locks up. Opening printer properties freezes the computer. Dragging a jpeg from Firefox to the desktop locks up the computer. It's all really bizarre and unrelated things. And it's getting worse/more frequent.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

codo27 posted:

Just pirate Vegas

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
FYI, glass8 has now been officially updated with Windows 10 support. No more shady russian hacks required.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Decided to go back to the rtm build as the latest fast-ring builds were just giving me too much odd behavior, especially with sporadic notifications.

I realize they removed Start Menu syncing and automatic app installation from Win8, which makes (relative) sense if you have different form factor PC's and have optimized the layout for each (a syncing option would be preferred through). But is there really no backup of your SM so you can restore your settings/layout when re-installing any longer?

With Win8, when I freshly installed and logged in during setup with my MS account, I would get an option to restore my config from the last synced copy with a timestamp - I never got this during the re-install. A quirk/bug, or are your settings/layout not backed up in addition to not being synced?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Factor Mystic posted:

FYI, glass8 has now been officially updated with Windows 10 support. No more shady russian hacks required.

Isn't this the one that adds a really annoying watermark to the bottom right with no reliable way to get rid of it?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Is there any particular reason I'm getting the day of the week on the taskbar on my desktop but not on my laptop? I've expanded the taskbar to like half the screen to test that it's not a width issue and it's not, it's just not showing up whereas it did on Win8.

edit: for reference the taskbar's on the left, i forgot some people still use taskbars on the bottom. it shows Sunday or whatever if I dock it on the bottom and drag it up to the correct height.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 30, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

101 posted:

Isn't this the one that adds a really annoying watermark to the bottom right with no reliable way to get rid of it?

Only if you don't pay for it.....

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

hooah posted:

A few weeks ago, my dad updated his old-ish laptop from 7 to 10, and now in the last couple of days he says his start button isn't working with a left click; right click's fine. I've done a little searching and told him to run a sfc /scannow while I find anything more specific. I did see a post here which mentions opening up Powershell, but while it does mention that the release version of 10 has the issue as well as preview builds, the page doesn't seem to say whether the solution is still recommended for the release build. Any ideas or suggestions before I have him do a refresh?

This has just happened to my friend, too. We tried that powershell thing and other suggestions like these here.

Anyone have success besides a refresh?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

xamphear posted:

Yeah, this has been happening since Windows 7 (at least) and always drives me nuts. I've googled it a few times over the years and haven't ever found a way to fix it. If someone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

I replaced it with TeraCopy. It always shows up on top of everything.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MohShuvuu posted:

I replaced it with TeraCopy. It always shows up on top of everything.

Just don't use it over a network :)

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
One of the updates this week fixed my issue where monitors wouldn't sleep if there's a lock screen slideshow.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Is there any particular reason I'm getting the day of the week on the taskbar on my desktop but not on my laptop? I've expanded the taskbar to like half the screen to test that it's not a width issue and it's not, it's just not showing up whereas it did on Win8.

edit: for reference the taskbar's on the left, i forgot some people still use taskbars on the bottom. it shows Sunday or whatever if I dock it on the bottom and drag it up to the correct height.

I don't know but if you figure it out please post. I want the day of the week on my taskbar but can't get it. In previous versions of Windows I could change the format for the "Short Date" to something like dddd MMMM dd to get "Sunday August 30" but in Windows 10 they removed the ability to edit time and date formats directly now you can just pick from a list of them and none of the options have day of the week or full month name like I prefer. I found if I change it in the registry directly it works... until I reboot then it displays no date at all until I go fiddle in the "Change Date and Time Formats" settings. Very annoying.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

Spek posted:

I don't know but if you figure it out please post. I want the day of the week on my taskbar but can't get it. In previous versions of Windows I could change the format for the "Short Date" to something like dddd MMMM dd to get "Sunday August 30" but in Windows 10 they removed the ability to edit time and date formats directly now you can just pick from a list of them and none of the options have day of the week or full month name like I prefer. I found if I change it in the registry directly it works... until I reboot then it displays no date at all until I go fiddle in the "Change Date and Time Formats" settings. Very annoying.
I actually managed to figure this out earlier while looking for a way to find my issue. It's one of those things that's hidden almost entirely because of Microsoft's "killing usability through attrition" model.

So you have Change Date and Time, and it gives you the dropdowns. But if you go back a step from that to Time & Language, and hit Additional whatever settings, you get to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region (or you can just open the control panel and hit that). Under Region you have "Change date, time, and number format." and you click it and there's... still dropdowns. But if you hit additional settings, then Date, you'll find a way to edit the short/long date. You can add the day of the week there:

or, alternatively,

Unfortunately it still doesn't help me because there's no way to add a newline. So my left-docked taskbar would have to be stretched out like three times as wide. This person had the same problem. If anybody has a solution/tweak let me know.

What I really want to see is this loving thing finally put out of its misery so I can get 'date modified' on the folders Windows feels it doesn't want to add it to quickly. Never know when you might want to sort by an "assistant's phone number", "required attendees", or "pager".

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 30, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

I actually managed to figure this out earlier while looking for a way to find my issue. It's one of those things that's hidden almost entirely because of Microsoft's "killing usability through attrition" model.

So you have Change Date and Time, and it gives you the dropdowns. But if you go back a step from that to Time & Language, and hit Additional whatever settings, you get to Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region (or you can just open the control panel and hit that). Under Region you have "Change date, time, and number format." and you click it and there's... still dropdowns. But if you hit additional settings, then Date, you'll find a way to edit the short/long date. You can add the day of the week there:

or, alternatively,

Thanks a bunch for this. I've been using rainmeter to get the same basic functionality and this is a huge improvement.

If you use ddd instead of dddd, you'll get a 3 letter day of the week instead of the full day. Not ideal, but something of an improvement. I think you can also change the year format to double digits to save some space, by changing yyyy to yy.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

ElrondHubbard posted:

If you use ddd instead of dddd, you'll get a 3 letter day of the week instead of the full day. Not ideal, but something of an improvement. I think you can also change the year format to double digits to save some space, by changing yyyy to yy.
Thanks for the idea, doing this I only had to expand the taskbar a tiny bit more to fit it in. It's a little uglier but it'll do until/unless this is fixed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What I really want to see is this loving thing finally put out of its misery so I can get 'date modified' on the folders Windows feels it doesn't want to add it to quickly. Never know when you might want to sort by an "assistant's phone number", "required attendees", or "pager".

Can you select the first one (the label, not the checkbox) and then press "d" to skip down?

I mean, when you're not sorting on 35mm focal length.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

I use that trick all the time for form fields and stuff but didn't think of doing it there. It does work to just type it in at least, although you have to do 5-6 keystrokes to get there it still beats scrolling through that list. Thanks for the idea, it's been an annoyance since XP for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Subjunctive posted:

Can you select the first one (the label, not the checkbox) and then press "d" to skip down?

I mean, when you're not sorting on 35mm focal length.

Yes, you can just type the thing you want and it goes to it.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

My File Explorer is constantly not showing up in my task bar. Sometimes it's there and other times it vanishes for a while. If I open uTorrent then it shows up again for a while. Anyone had this and knows a fix? Super strange.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Lum posted:

Just don't use it over a network :)

What happens if i use it over a network?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

MohShuvuu posted:

What happens if i use it over a network?

You tear the borders of our dimension asunder and an old one will emerge from your screen to rule over our world and minds.

Alternatively, you'll have a watermark on your desktop. Either, or.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

lol
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ohp_nmI_TFA&t=29s

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Thanks!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Is there a way to get the clock to show up on the taskbar on my second screen?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

wormil posted:

So what is the story with hibernation and why doesn't it work for some people like me? I put the computer into hibernate and it immediately reawakens.

It's your mouse. For some reason the mouse idling will keep waking it up. If you have a wireless mouse, turn the switch off while it's going into hibernation, if not, I don't know what to say.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
I really hate being a beta tester I just want to go to bed not beta test Windows

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lowtechs posted:

I really hate being a beta tester I just want to go to bed not beta test Windows

Why aren't you on 7 or 8 then?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Unfortunately it still doesn't help me because there's no way to add a newline. So my left-docked taskbar would have to be stretched out like three times as wide. This person had the same problem. If anybody has a solution/tweak let me know.

dog nougat posted:

Is there a way to get the clock to show up on the taskbar on my second screen?

Both of you need to get T-Clock Redux

Not tested the option to show on second taskbar, but it exists and is labelled as Windows 8+

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

You were right! I couldn't figure out how to access it after I installed it before realizing it was integrated with the clock settings but it even fixed the horribly excessive blank space above and below. By default it looked way too crammed together but I messed around with the height/vertical sliders and it looks much better. Thanks for nothing, Win10!!!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

You were right! I couldn't figure out how to access it after I installed it before realizing it was integrated with the clock settings but it even fixed the horribly excessive blank space above and below. By default it looked way too crammed together but I messed around with the height/vertical sliders and it looks much better. Thanks for nothing, Win10!!!

'sup vertical taskbar buddy.

May I also recommend 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to allow a narrower taskbar and get rid of the show desktop button.

e: also where did you get that battery indicator?

Lum fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 31, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ModeSix posted:

It's your mouse. For some reason the mouse idling will keep waking it up. If you have a wireless mouse, turn the switch off while it's going into hibernation, if not, I don't know what to say.

Ah, thanks. Now if I could figure out why watching YouTube or opening printer properties freezes Windows.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

At the risk of turning this into a post your desktop thread, I think I have sufficiently undone all of Win10s awfulness, and can now just enjoy the good stuff under the hood.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

That sure is something

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
FYI guy's I have been chasing this issue all weekend and I just got resolution on it.

If you are using a fancy new corsair cpu cooler that talks to the corsair link program, it will not function properly on window's 10. Windows turns on some usb power management thing that prevents adjustment of pump and fan speeds for the cooler, details in the link below to fix the problem.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=785550

The guy has some other issues but the real jump up is turn enhancedpowermanagment off or your pump will run at max speed and your fans will run at low speed with no adjustment possible. The system information viewer program after the link lets you update it easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Lum posted:

At the risk of turning this into a post your desktop thread, I think I have sufficiently undone all of Win10s awfulness, and can now just enjoy the good stuff under the hood.

Hahaha god drat.