Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't use Music.app but my wife does and when we were on vacation we just had her phone to listen to in the car and it blew my mind there was no way to shuffle all music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can tell Siri to shuffle all music.

Music.app is turning into iTunes, a hard to use piece of poo poo that everyone hates. They hide or remove buttons at random and keep trying to bolt more online features into it, which means if you're some luddite that just wants to play some old fashioned mp3's you're constantly having to rewrite your habits.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dave posted:

I don't use Music.app but my wife does and when we were on vacation we just had her phone to listen to in the car and it blew my mind there was no way to shuffle all music.
You can:

1) Tell Siri to shuffle all music

2) In My Music, change the view to Songs, tap one to start playing, then hit the shuffle button on the player view.

I agree that neither of these is ideal, but it's also a function I rarely use.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
And in 9 the butan is back apparently.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

xzzy posted:

Music.app is turning into iTunes, a hard to use piece of poo poo that everyone hates. They hide or remove buttons at random and keep trying to bolt more online features into it, which means if you're some luddite that just wants to play some old fashioned mp3's you're constantly having to rewrite your habits.
My favorite dumb thing about Music.app is the "share" menu being a subset of another menu on the same screen. :thumbsup:

It's harmless compared to some other issues, but it's the perfect example of how clumsy the design has become.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Soldier of Fortran posted:

It's worth noting that, at least in my case, Apple did a free swap for my iPhone 5's swollen battery despite its serial not being on that list, long after the original warranty expired.

YMMV, obviously, but the fire generating nature of swollen lithium ion batteries presumably gives the Genius Bar people extra leeway to help you out.

All iPhones with swollen batteries are covered for up to 3 years. Direct whole-unit phone swap, with no battery replacements performed.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Turned off Cloud Music so I could physically sync my songs to my iPhone.
Offline songs on my iPhone randomly cut off, songs randomly repeat within a playlist -- not a 15-times in a row, "repeat on" situation, but where a song randomly pops again four tracks into a 10-track playlist.
Gave up, cleared my phone and broke out my iPod Classic
iPod Classic erases "loved" hearts
Cool... cool, cool, cool.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has anyone on iOS 9 Public Beta 3 noticed that the (default) keyboard takes a very long time to pop up in the past few days? It can take up 10 seconds sometimes.

PB3 had been almost perfect up to that point, so I'm not sure what changed. I could do a flatten and restore, but at this point I'm kinda okay with just waiting for PB4 or the GM release.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Can any of you with the iOS 9 beta connect via Airplay to your Apple TV?

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Eight Is Legend posted:

Can any of you with the iOS 9 beta connect via Airplay to your Apple TV?

Yes. I'm on the latest public beta. What I have found, but I'm not sure how new it is, is that I can't wake the Apple TV with my phone. I need to wake it with the physical remote.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

As a follow-up, I had my Genius Bar appointment yesterday (for an unrelated issue) and they replaced my screen while I browsed Macy's. The replacement camera does have a blue hue but that obviously doesn't affect the photos themselves.

So if the crescent moon camera doesn't actually seem to make a difference on the photo quality, is it worth replacing it? If it was a full swap with a new back, that might be worth it but just a new screen...

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Went to my local fruit stand to see about an intermittent overheating issue on my bent 6+. Screen was cracked up (happened the morning of the appointment, the gently caress!). The appointment setter person told me it would likely cost upwards of $329 to replace a bent phone outside of applecare. I do have insurance through at&t however when the time came to have my phone looked at the guy was just like, "yeah we can give you a new one, no problem bro!" without much more than saying my phone is kinda hot when I pull it out of my pocket sometimes.

Sometimes I consider going back to Android. It'll be a while before that happens again I think.

I did forget to make a backup in the last two weeks since I'd wiped my pc, so that kinda sucks, but I went and bought an otterbox to replace my apparently inadequate Incipio two-layer case

Amber Alert fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 27, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Carrier insurance is expensive, (sometimes) slow, and a bad deal if you don't remember to turn it off at a certain point, but the give a gently caress level on claims is so much lower.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rick posted:

Carrier insurance is expensive, (sometimes) slow, and a bad deal if you don't remember to turn it off at a certain point, but the give a gently caress level on claims is so much lower.

In some cases the deductible on the carrier insurance, plus the monthly premium, basically means you're better off having nothing at all and just paying the out of warranty repair fee to Apple.

I worked the math out at one point and it seemed like unless you were clumsy enough to wreck the phone in the first 6 months, or you are likely to get the phone outright lost/stolen, you're probably getting screwed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
As expected, Apple to host an event on 9/9.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
So I've never had the opportunity to use Force Touch before. Besides gaming what functional benefits can be derived from it?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Basically it provides more options for interaction like force touch to open the menu or something.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Which basically implies that the new iPhone is out on the 18th.

On which morning I'll be flying down to the South Coast for a holiday. I might have to restore my backup on hotel wifi. :stonk:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TinTower posted:

Which basically implies that the new iPhone is out on the 18th.

On which morning I'll be flying down to the South Coast for a holiday. I might have to restore my backup on hotel wifi. :stonk:

Or, you know, wait until your vacation is over to buy a new cell phone.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Or, you know, wait until your vacation is over to buy a new cell phone.

But I want it now!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Poala Bear posted:

But I want it now!

My poor 5S deserves to be put out of its misery as soon as possible. Battery life on it isn't what it used to be, and with only 24 days left on the contract, I'm not going to bother getting a replacement 5S.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've still gotta wait another 6 months to be eligible for an upgrade through AT&T Next, I think, which is totally fine for me. I'm still using my 6 and there aren't any big drawbacks to it that make me want a new phone real badly. I'll probably just wait for the 7, though it'll be interesting to see what this one offers.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've still gotta wait another 6 months to be eligible for an upgrade through AT&T Next, I think, which is totally fine for me. I'm still using my 6 and there aren't any big drawbacks to it that make me want a new phone real badly. I'll probably just wait for the 7, though it'll be interesting to see what this one offers.

Same boat here. There will have to be a deal breaker on the 6s to make me upgrade to it. I'm not expecting that, but we'll see on the 9th!

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Me too. I've got a 6 now, gonna wait for the next tick cycle and get a 7(?) plus.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I did the Jump on Demand promo with the iPhone 6+ with T-Mobile. Supposedly there's going to be a way to get my hands on a new 6s+ with "priorty" over other T-Mobile customers, but I don't have faith in it going very smoothly.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The storage on my 6 plus is full and I can't figure out what's taking up a bunch of space. On the phone, it says theres no space left, yet when I add up all the installed items, its less than half of the available capacity. When I connect to iTunes on my computer, it shows there's a lot of free space.

I tried power cycling, and doing a recovery mode software update, but it hasn't helped.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 28, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

The storage on my 6 plus is full and I can't figure out what's taking up a bunch of space. On the phone, it says theres no space left, yet when I add up all the installed items, its less than half of the available capacity. When I connect to iTunes on my computer, it shows there's a lot of free space.

I tried power cycling, and doing a recovery mode software update, but it hasn't helped.

Use something like macgo iPhone explorer and delete the loficloudassets folder on your phone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Facebook and Facebook Messenger both dont display badges for notifications.

Facebook doesnt show banners or notification center

Messenger shows banners.

Anyone else had this and fixed it? uninstalled and reinstalled, disabled push notifications in FB and re-enabled, no luck.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

Facebook and Facebook Messenger both dont display badges for notifications.

Facebook doesnt show banners or notification center

Messenger shows banners.

Anyone else had this and fixed it? uninstalled and reinstalled, disabled push notifications in FB and re-enabled, no luck.

Typical goon advice is to "stop using facebook." Barring that, have you tried turning your phone off and then on again? I am not joking.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I wouldn't mind waiting a week or two to buy the iPhone if that was historically even possible. You either get it launch day or don't get one for a month.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
PSA to anyone running the iOS 9 Beta: iCloud backups are hosed. Yada yada beta software, but I just had to restore my phone from a backup only to have it tell me the restore failed multiple times. Apparently it's a bug with HomeKit that you can fix if you edit stuff in the backup file, but that requires an iTunes backup which I stupidly didn't do :argh:

Luckily I only really lost ~2 months of text messages from since I updated, most of my apps/games restored from their own cloud stuff (plus all of those texts are on my mac) and I use iCloud for photos.

I tried using one of those programs to download the backup from iCloud, but it was only showing me backups up to 8.4 and none of the 9.0 ones. Ah well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good to know. Hopefully they fix that for the GM which should be out in the next couple weeks. Somehow iTunes didn't save my backup I made before I updated to 9.0 so I'd be losin tons of data. I guess I should run an iTunes backup on 9.0.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Is there a trick to bringing up the quick access menu when swiping from the bottom of the screen? Some times when I slide up it never works, or it only shows the little rectangle that it acknowledges you swiped. A few minutes ago I swiped up over 10 times and nothing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If the app is fullscreen (no status bar) it will show the rectangle, which I think you have to grab specifically to pull it up. It also won't activate at all if the keyboard is up. Other than that, it really wants you to start the gesture below the screen, so if you're trying to start right at the edge you might be missing the bottom sometimes and not others.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You can open control center just fine with the keyboard up. I just tested it right now while writing this awesome post.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Is there a way to have Bluetooth enabled (car stereo if it matters) and use Siri through the phone's mic instead of the one connected to the stereo?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

carry on then posted:

If the app is fullscreen (no status bar) it will show the rectangle, which I think you have to grab specifically to pull it up. It also won't activate at all if the keyboard is up. Other than that, it really wants you to start the gesture below the screen, so if you're trying to start right at the edge you might be missing the bottom sometimes and not others.

Swipe up past the keyboard to get it to open with the keyboard open.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

duffmensch posted:

Is there a way to have Bluetooth enabled (car stereo if it matters) and use Siri through the phone's mic instead of the one connected to the stereo?

Not by default you have to switch it off every time which blows.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
iOS 9 Beta users: Do videos from either Facebook or YouTube sometime show the status bar, even in landscape mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not seeing that, no.