Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shukaro posted:

yay productivity

If it's possible, can you make the Quest files, like actual files you can load in any world? I ask because I think it would be really cool if you could just have a list of quest tutorials for any given mod, loaded in your book, from downloaded quests meant to run you through the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Is there a second Bloom at the Glacier? When I came back from there with all that loot, I realized I only had one- wanna see if I need to go back and keep searching, because all the Scout spots so far have had two for me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh... how are you supposed to get a Magician's Blood Orb now? 25000 LP when your capacity is 12000(10000 normally), and the thing tries to complete in like 15 seconds so you sure as gently caress can't keep up with it by healing anymore. I distinctly remember it being slower to complete. Piping LP into it doesn't work since it's so slow. It seems like the only reasonable way to do it is to have like five or six villagers lined up to be sacrificed... which is still completely unreasonable. I just don't understand Blood Magic. Why is this ONE roadblock so hard to overcome, when the rest of the mod is relatively straightforward?

Oh whoops I forgot instant health potions are actually EASY to make.

Edit: It's weird that the Dark One has so many reputation tiers when the only way to get reputation past like 20 is to repeatedly turn in buckets of blood, and there are no quests to unlock that way.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 28, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

So uh... how are you supposed to get a Magician's Blood Orb now? 25000 LP when your capacity is 12000(10000 normally), and the thing tries to complete in like 15 seconds so you sure as gently caress can't keep up with it by healing anymore. I distinctly remember it being slower to complete. Piping LP into it doesn't work since it's so slow. It seems like the only reasonable way to do it is to have like five or six villagers lined up to be sacrificed... which is still completely unreasonable. I just don't understand Blood Magic. Why is this ONE roadblock so hard to overcome, when the rest of the mod is relatively straightforward?

Oh whoops I forgot instant health potions are actually EASY to make.

Use a wand focus of dislocation to move a spawner to make a semi-mob drop, or you could make an actual mob drop to move mobs close to the alter for sacrificing.

After you reach tier 3 you can replace one of the floors with cursed earth and make a ritual of sacrifice for infinite LP.

McFrugal posted:

Edit: It's weird that the Dark One has so many reputation tiers when the only way to get reputation past like 20 is to repeatedly turn in buckets of blood, and there are no quests to unlock that way.

I believe this modpack is still under development, but it will probably be a few months before the next update, and maybe 6 or more months for more quests to be added.

Ellieanna
Jul 16, 2014

senae posted:

Quick blightfall specific tip! There's a good node for cV under the swamp delta island closest to the warp island, at 659, 982, 43. You can see it from the shore with a pair of goggles

It's a ~45 messis node, and gives 5 cV. I don't know how good that is in the long run, but it's a million times better than boating around, that's for sure.

I feel awful, because I have no idea where I found it, but I was lucky and found a 6 cV node for our thaum area. I really wish I noted it. I have tried to find another 6 one, and it's been impossible. We have a few 5s still in jars waiting for the ability to clean the nodes for the node room.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ellieanna posted:

I feel awful, because I have no idea where I found it, but I was lucky and found a 6 cV node for our thaum area. I really wish I noted it. I have tried to find another 6 one, and it's been impossible. We have a few 5s still in jars waiting for the ability to clean the nodes for the node room.

You could just do what the technic guys did and just make a room out of slabs underground connected by a tunnel in the tainted area and put all the nodes you collect in there.

Just face it, those nodes will remain tainted until you get a dawn machine up and powered, and that will be at least a week away even with a few people on your team. Unless you have a full server or something then that's about a week since all the teams can pool their resources and effort to get one up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

http://gfycat.com/FrayedIcyAmericancrocodile

golems got a tough life

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

That's the cutest golem dance

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Are there any glaring problems I should know about with Steve's Carts?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I set up my gifted mining laser and two prechargers last night. I could only give it hardened flux ducts. Of course it is slooooow. It got screwed up since some fibrous taint so I had to wrap the bedrock on all sides with torches.

I did get one yellorite ore, but I also got zinc, nether sulfur, and some other yellowish thing I did not want. I figured the six power foci would have done it. Now I know that is what they are called. Last I did this, they were just named by color.

If the yellorite grab rate is 25% then it is sustainable with the lovely supplier reactor. I am assuming it is sustainable with a bigger reactor, but I do not have enough materials to expand from that 3x3 yet.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I set up my gifted mining laser and two prechargers last night. I could only give it hardened flux ducts. Of course it is slooooow. It got screwed up since some fibrous taint so I had to wrap the bedrock on all sides with torches.

I did get one yellorite ore, but I also got zinc, nether sulfur, and some other yellowish thing I did not want. I figured the six power foci would have done it. Now I know that is what they are called. Last I did this, they were just named by color.

If the yellorite grab rate is 25% then it is sustainable with the lovely supplier reactor. I am assuming it is sustainable with a bigger reactor, but I do not have enough materials to expand from that 3x3 yet.

Give in and steal parts from the one on the ship. It also has a nice surprise in it. :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SugarAddict posted:

You could just do what the technic guys did and just make a room out of slabs underground connected by a tunnel in the tainted area and put all the nodes you collect in there.

Is there a recording of this somewhere? I kind of want to see how someone actually competent messes around in Blightfall.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well, to move nodes you have to have the vis... and if you have the vis to move nodes you may as well just energize one.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

Give in and steal parts from the one on the ship. It also has a nice surprise in it. :v:

Can you spoil the surprise?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Taffer posted:

If it's the surprise I'm thinking of, you can only make use of it by adding the Thermalsmeltery mod.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

I'm fine with a little experimentation with it. I do have four ingots of yellorium I can blow after this if I really need it without pulling stuff out of the ground. I do eventually want to get a positive loop going so I can sometimes run the laser unfiltered and grab resources out of the ground. It is slow right now, but if I can accumulate some silver to make electrum, I can upgrade the fluxducts.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ambaire posted:

If it's the surprise I'm thinking of, you can only make use of it by adding the Thermalsmeltery mod.

Nah not that. The reactor on the ship just has a stack of cyanite in it which can keep you going for quite a while

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

Nah not that. The reactor on the ship just has a stack of cyanite in it which can keep you going for quite a while

Heh, not only that, but...

(note: major "cheat" action in blightfall, don't mouse over if you are prone to temptation)

You can use the fuel port where the cyanite is to eject the yellorite from the fuel rods in ingot form, even though the reactor itself is an invalid shape (too big.) There is a LOT of fuel available this way.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a recording of this somewhere? I kind of want to see how someone actually competent messes around in Blightfall.

It was on twitch but twitch didn't keep the recording for very long.

Also of note, you can make a greatwood septer and use that to capture nodes.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Has anyone else been crushed to death by the elevators on the Jaded or am I just really unlucky?

I was as well (suffocated in a wall) and i hadnt even selected a pod yet.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm fine with a little experimentation with it. I do have four ingots of yellorium I can blow after this if I really need it without pulling stuff out of the ground. I do eventually want to get a positive loop going so I can sometimes run the laser unfiltered and grab resources out of the ground. It is slow right now, but if I can accumulate some silver to make electrum, I can upgrade the fluxducts.

well also after you use the Yellorium and it changes to cyanite, you can then reprocess the cyanite into blutonium which you can also use as fuel in the reactor - so you get twice the fuel from the yellorium.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Heh, not only that, but...

(note: major "cheat" action in blightfall, don't mouse over if you are prone to temptation)

You can use the fuel port where the cyanite is to eject the yellorite from the fuel rods in ingot form, even though the reactor itself is an invalid shape (too big.) There is a LOT of fuel available this way.

Shiiiit I wish I had thought of that before I destroyed a bunch of them

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You won't get a positive loop, the laser output is all altered for Blightfall and yellorium output is exceedingly rare.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 28, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Taffer posted:

Well also if you pick up the fuel rods they remain full, so you can also just put them into your own reactor and they will still be full.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
The reactor on the ship is actually not too big. The error with it is that the walkway it's directly connected to on the bottom floor is made of reactor casing blocks. You just have to break three blocks to turn it into a real reactor, though the controller and fuel port are inaccessible without breaking your way to the roof of the ship.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Lol that creepy guy in the obsidian tower totally recked me with his fuckoff sword the first time i went there. Second time i had a GUN. He never had a chance. Felt like Indy :madmax:

Unfortunately there's also a wizard roaming around that seems to give no fucks about bullets or magma darts.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 28, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
FYI you can fit 56 58 hydroangeas within range of a single spreader. One set of 16 on the same y-level, 32 split between 2 blocks higher and lower, and 8 split between the top and bottom vaguely centered on the spreader. You will of course need an upgraded spreader for this, or have the spreader pointing at a pool close to it. Throughput becomes a problem after like 30 hydroangeas.
Edit: hahaha, you can put a floating hydroangea in the middle of a 3x3 pool of water! That's 5 per pool, so 20 per full layer plus 5 on the top and bottom.
Edit2: Aw dammit. I thought I tested it but apparently not- the full layers can't accept 3x3 pools because the outermost hydroangeas can no longer reach the spreader in the middle.

Taffer posted:

You won't get a positive loop, the laser output is all altered for Blightfall and yellorium output is exceedingly rare.

Just put the fuel rods back in the reactor. Some block in the partially-disassembled structure keeps track of previous yellorium levels, so if you reassemble the reactor you can pump it back out.

Also I think it is possible to get a positive loop with yellorium and the laser drill, but you'll need a super-efficient reactor to do so. Probably with a turbine.

TheresaJayne posted:

well also after you use the Yellorium and it changes to cyanite, you can then reprocess the cyanite into blutonium which you can also use as fuel in the reactor - so you get twice the fuel from the yellorium.

It takes two bars of cyanite to make one blutonium so it's 50% more fuel, not twice as much.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 29, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

It takes two bars of cyanite to make one blutonium so it's 50% more fuel, not twice as much.

But that 50% can again be reprocessed for an ever-diminishing loop of returns. 50% + 25% + 12.5% + 6.25% + 3.125%.... So basically 99.99% increase once you go far enough. :v:

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Since this is the modding thread, I have a few questions, since I'm interested in maybe dipping my toe into this:

1. Which IS the best modpack launcher? I get the feeling it might be Technic based on the OP, but I wanted to know what most people tend to prefer.
2. My primary interest is in a mod with some form of general world editing for creative purposes. What's the best version of those?
3. Would I be better off getting a pack or just the one mod I'm interested in?

Thanks in advance.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dragomorph posted:

Since this is the modding thread, I have a few questions, since I'm interested in maybe dipping my toe into this:

1. Which IS the best modpack launcher? I get the feeling it might be Technic based on the OP, but I wanted to know what most people tend to prefer.
2. My primary interest is in a mod with some form of general world editing for creative purposes. What's the best version of those?

Thanks in advance.

1) Generally people prefer http://technicpack.net/ which is probably the slickest all around. But http://beta.cursevoice.com/games/minecraft and https://www.atlauncher.com/ are also both perfectly serviceable, it really depends on the packs you want to play because they all have different specific offerings. https://multimc.org/ is the go-to app for piecing together your own modpack.

2) There are really two general world-editing options. http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/worldedit/ is for big "replace every dirt in this selection with diamonds" kind of stuff, whereas http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/voxelsniper/ is the more photoshoppy option. http://www.worldpainter.net/ is useful to create a map with the general terrain and biome distribution you want before going in with the finer tools.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 29, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dragomorph posted:

There's nothing wrong with getting just a single mod, but modpacks have the advantage of coming with all the convenience mods like NEI and some form of minimap pre-installed for you, and if you get bored of the mod you were messing around with, the pack likely has other mods for you to mess around with without needing to start an entirely new world.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Shukaro posted:

1) Generally people prefer http://technicpack.net/ which is probably the slickest all around. But http://beta.cursevoice.com/games/minecraft and https://www.atlauncher.com/ are also both perfectly serviceable, it really depends on the packs you want to play because they all have different specific offerings. https://multimc.org/ is the go-to app for piecing together your own modpack.

2) There are really two general world-editing options. http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/worldedit/ is for big "replace every dirt in this selection with diamonds" kind of stuff, whereas http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/voxelsniper/ is the more photoshoppy option. http://www.worldpainter.net/ is useful to create a map with the general terrain and biome distribution you want before going in with the finer tools.

Probably going with Technic, then. And WorldEdit sounds more in line with what I'd like since I'm not REALLY a particularly artistic type. I'm better at COPYING designs than I am creating them.

Mzbundifund posted:

There's nothing wrong with getting just a single mod, but modpacks have the advantage of coming with all the convenience mods like NEI and some form of minimap pre-installed for you, and if you get bored of the mod you were messing around with, the pack likely has other mods for you to mess around with without needing to start an entirely new world.

I guess if I'm just farting about, a few more wouldn't hurt. Is there a particular pack with WorldEdit that would be good?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gettin' real tired of these interminable load times, Minecraft. I mean, I don't know what you're doing, but loading isn't it.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 29, 2015

Ellieanna
Jul 16, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

Just face it, those nodes will remain tainted until you get a dawn machine up and powered, and that will be at least a week away even with a few people on your team. Unless you have a full server or something then that's about a week since all the teams can pool their resources and effort to get one up.

I have the system and stuff to build it, but our server needs to be updated since we're still on an older patch with the Dawn machine research bug. Just stuck waiting on our very busy server admin to update the server.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you get clay in Blightfall?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Same place you get it in vanilla Minecraft: the bottoms of lakes, rivers, and oceans.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Gettin' real tired of these interminable load times, Minecraft. I mean, I don't know what you're doing, but loading isn't it.

If you mean the startup load with the white screen and load bar at the bottom apparently there's a rendering memory leak with that screen. Use the minimize button on the top right of the window to prevent your computer from rendering it, which makes it load in like a minute

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blind Duke posted:

If you mean the startup load with the white screen and load bar at the bottom apparently there's a rendering memory leak with that screen. Use the minimize button on the top right of the window to prevent your computer from rendering it, which makes it load in like a minute

Should I minimize it while it's hanging, or restart it entirely and minimize?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

:psyduck: and they haven't bothered to fix it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Trip report: game not loading, except minimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

man infusion throws me sometimes

i finally get the stones together to make an osmotic enchanter and I am like "oh man it's dangerous better overprepare" and I get duplicates of inputs and a bunch of extra essentia

and then only one thing happens, one of the tiles got popped off the pedestal

serves me right for waiting so long to get it