Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Legitimately what the gently caress do I have to do to make this modpack actually load? It's a modpack for 1.7.10 and I'm trying to get it running so that I can get on a goon server. Do I replace Forge? Run a different version of Java?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

man infusion throws me sometimes

i finally get the stones together to make an osmotic enchanter and I am like "oh man it's dangerous better overprepare" and I get duplicates of inputs and a bunch of extra essentia

and then only one thing happens, one of the tiles got popped off the pedestal

serves me right for waiting so long to get it

First time I did infusion, we had 3 spares of everything and twice as much essentia as we needed, and we just BARELY made it through. It was actually really fun and exciting

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Legitimately what the gently caress do I have to do to make this modpack actually load? It's a modpack for 1.7.10 and I'm trying to get it running so that I can get on a goon server. Do I replace Forge? Run a different version of Java?

Are you talking about Blightfall? You might want to check the client log to see where it's having problems.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Are you talking about Blightfall? You might want to check the client log to see where it's having problems.

I am not talking about Blightfall and also where would I get this client log, please and thank you.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I am not talking about Blightfall and also where would I get this client log, please and thank you.

If you are using Technic, you can click on the modpack options, and then open next to the file path. There should be a folder named Logs. Should be in there. If not there, there might be a file called crash-reports that has what you are looking for.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zebrin posted:

If you are using Technic, you can click on the modpack options, and then open next to the file path. There should be a folder named Logs. Should be in there. If not there, there might be a file called crash-reports that has what you are looking for.

A fine idea indeed if it were actually crashing, which it is not.

EDIT: The last thing that happened according to latest.log is "Sound Engine Started". Does that tell you anything?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 29, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay so I put a capacitor on my pick in Blightfall and it's using nearly 1400 RF per block I mine. This means it has like 300 uses before the RF is all gone. That's loving awful. Looks like it's pretty much pointless unless you carry around a capacitor to extend its charge.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 29, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Okay so I put a capacitor on my pick in Blightfall and it's using nearly 1400 RF per block I mine. This means it has like 300 uses before the RF is all gone. That's loving awful. Looks like it's pretty much pointless unless you carry around a capacitor to extend its charge.

Someone said the capacitor storage amount is dependent on the durability of the tool. More durabilty = more storage.

Edit: Not sure why anyone would bother with putting capacitors on tinker pickaxes considering RF is one of the most expensive resources there is.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 29, 2015

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Cantorsdust posted:

Sounds were my favorite part of the mod. The purr of the jetpack followed by a satisfying click as the fall-protected boots hit the ground followed by the satisfying jumping sound as I take off again. I can't wait for sounds to be fixed again.
Second most important thing for me would be configurable module costs. There comes a point pretty quickly when I'm sitting on all the power I could ever need, and charging the jumpsuit at that point becomes a meaningless inconvenience. I'd rather set all the costs to zero and just not worry about it again.

Mod support I care about : TE (charging, wrench support), AE2 (wireless terminal and wrench support), Thaumcraft (goggles on helmet, maybe a thaumometer on the hand?), maybe Galacticraft (air helmet?)

Ok, I think these are all fixed.

-Mentioned sounds in an earlier post. My workaround is a bit hacky but it saves me from having to reimplement the entire old soundsystem when the new one is technically more powerful. Let me know (on my github preferably) if you experience any strange/annoying behaviour.

-I used OpenComputers' Srench as a reference for doing the new omniwrench module, so it should work with pretty much everything: "Mekanism", "EnderIO", "ProjRed|Core", "bluepower", "Forestry", "Railcraft", "MineFactoryReloaded", "CoFHCore", "BuildCraft|Core", "appliedenergistics2", "IC2". Some mod-specific features might be disabled if they weren't a simple add-interface-and-implement dealio, and some mods (mfr mainly) didn't pass in the itemstack to their interface so they'll work even if the omniwrench module isn't installed/active. Nothing I can do about that short of massive&iffy hax unless there's another interface I missed in the api somewhere.

-Module costs auto-generate an example config file in config/machinemuse/custominstallcosts.json . The module names are the same as the ones in powersuits.cfg to enable/disable them. You need a separate entry for each item you want to add to the cost, and it's not as robust as the recipe matcher - it MUST have the item name and the mod id. Metadata and quantity are optional (defaults to 0 and 1 respectively). If it doesn't find anything in there for a given module, it'll default to the ones added in the code.

Other highlights:
-Chisel support? Not as a separate item but if you have the Chisel mod installed you should have access to a Chisel module which will allow you to mine smooth stone and other chisel-harvestable blocks.
-Smart moving? Did I mention this before? I forget. I'm getting old.
-Boots count as metal for IC2 rails, hazmat module now applies to electrical/radiation hazards instead (currently locked unless IC2 is installed, let me know if it should work for other mods)
-Now syncs with Curseforge automatically!
-Default recipe files auto-extract the first time you run the mod, so the 95% of users who don't give a poo poo don't have to give a poo poo
-Removed a bunch of obsolete config options.

Sooo that's what I've been doing this week. Sadly, the size of my issue tracker doesn't seem to be shrinking. I think I might nix some of these remaining details. Who actually cares about my shaders, anyway? It's just a bit of lightbloom. I'm sure there are other mods that handle that better anyway.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 29, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Someone said the capacitor storage amount is dependent on the durability of the tool. More durabilty = more storage.

Edit: Not sure why anyone would bother with putting capacitors on tinker pickaxes considering RF is one of the most expensive resources there is.

If you set up the glorious tree farm mana RF generation then RF is easy :smug:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

If you set up the glorious tree farm mana RF generation then RF is easy :smug:

I'm playing alone so it's pretty much whatever I'm feeling like at the moment.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SugarAddict posted:

Wut?

No, seriously, wut?

RF production is pretty simple, and cheap, even without cross-mod insanity. A single piece of coal or charcoal generates thousands, and coal converted into liquidated coal generates significantly more. Lava is a simple power source, even without pumps (as long as you have Nether access, or can generate blaze rods)... And that's just Thermal Expansion. Other mods add tons of ways to generate RF, often without much hassle at all, or make existing ways even easier.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serifina posted:

Wut?

No, seriously, wut?

RF production is pretty simple, and cheap, even without cross-mod insanity. A single piece of coal or charcoal generates thousands, and coal converted into liquidated coal generates significantly more. Lava is a simple power source, even without pumps (as long as you have Nether access, or can generate blaze rods)... And that's just Thermal Expansion. Other mods add tons of ways to generate RF, often without much hassle at all, or make existing ways even easier.

McFrugal posted:

in Blightfall

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Blightfall doesn't have any of the basic generators. There is no Coal->RF outside of using magic flowers.

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012
Blightfall might be hellish to start out in, but once you pass over the hump and get Botania and some of the Thaumcraft addons going, Wow.

The tainted wand core with manasteel cap is incredible when combined with a runic shielding amulet. And the Shovel of the Purifier saved the infusion ritual to make the core from an instability mishap flux-goo mishap.

Once I did the infusion song and dance, I took them out for a test drive - the taint poison vis generation bonus works on taint poison generated by dissolving goo and tentacles, as well as the fibrous taint - and the dissolving goo poison seems to give more ticks of generation. It was enough to make a net positive vis gain even while recharging the runic shield.

With a rank 4, all power shock focus regular tainted critters were trivial to exterminate en-masse - though the lone tainted hunter I ran across was enough to pop my runic shield with a couple of lucky shots he got off while I was zapping a tainted sheep.

Combining the Boots of the Traveller, a Ring of Chordata, and a Ring of Aura you Yakkity-sax along the bottom of the ocean floor. Who needs a boat?

Finally, Glory Of Arioch's advice to spam the sapling request finally paid off with a slime tree sapling. The stupid thing took hours to finally grow, and the leaves didn't drop another sapling, but who cares, green slimeballs are trivial to duplicate once you get even one - just Alchemy Catalyst them into cactus in a mana pool and back again once the cactus grows.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Seatox posted:

just Alchemy Catalyst them into cactus in a mana pool and back again once the cactus grows.

Haha cool trick, thanks.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Zebrin posted:

Blightfall doesn't have any of the basic generators. There is no Coal->RF outside of using magic flowers.

Wait. Seriously? Thermal Expansion (which adds the flux capacitors) is in, but the dynamos are disabled? Is the only way to create RF the mana flux field or Big Reactors? What the hell's even the point of have TE at that point?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

Wait. Seriously? Thermal Expansion (which adds the flux capacitors) is in, but the dynamos are disabled? Is the only way to create RF the mana flux field or Big Reactors? What the hell's even the point of have TE at that point?

The whole gimmick of the map is that tech is hard to do and magic is easy. Tech metals such as copper, tin, nickel, silver, lead, and platinum are very rare on the map.

However, you can use the quest book to request filled power cells for reputation, then rebuild the reputation with things like submitting piles of bread to the colonists, or fighting tainted monsters.

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012

Serifina posted:

Satchels, my go-to for gathering huge piles of tainted tendrils so you can reprocess them for the Lucrum - don't send them to the paranormalist or the xenobiologist in the field. The tainted goo, all you miss out on is Limus essentia, which is semi-useless.

Hardened Portable Tanks, because TC smeltery tanks are a pile of hot garbage.

All the various pipes as part of the support infrastructure for an Alchemic Boiler + Rancher combo, for the Sano.

And so on. Also, you can get RF in cells recharged through the reputation system, lots of people have come up with infinite reputation-to-RF loops.

Thermal Expansion isn't the focus, but it does fill in a lot of quality of life gaps.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

TE has a lot more than dynamos.

Blightfall is Different. Which is good. (I don't necessarily agree with all the design decisions, but I love that a pack is doing everything super differently and not compromising on that.)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm trying to automate my production of bath salts in Blightfall and I've hit a snag. My plan is to use alchemical furnaces to burn down milk for sano, paper for cognito , coal for potentia which can be centrifuged into ordo and ethereal essence (from the botania flower) to auram. There's a bunch of useful byproducts that can be centrifuged down too but my problem is I don't seem to have a magical solution for milking cows. My plan was to use the alchemical boiler for that but golems specifically cannot interact with mobs.

Is there a flower that can do it or will I be forced to use the rancher? I was hoping to skip tech entirely for this one.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm trying to automate my production of bath salts in Blightfall and I've hit a snag. My plan is to use alchemical furnaces to burn down milk for sano, paper for cognito , coal for potentia which can be centrifuged into ordo and ethereal essence (from the botania flower) to auram. There's a bunch of useful byproducts that can be centrifuged down too but my problem is I don't seem to have a magical solution for milking cows. My plan was to use the alchemical boiler for that but golems specifically cannot interact with mobs.

Is there a flower that can do it or will I be forced to use the rancher? I was hoping to skip tech entirely for this one.

There's not a flower, but the drum of the gathering, when hit with a mana burst, will fill any empty buckets that are directly on top of a cow (a 1x1 pen made from fences with empty crates above them works for the positional requirement.) From there, you can use golem workbenches (automagy) or crafty crates (botania) to craft bottles of milk, a vanilla cobblegen + bore lens mana spreader to make cobble, alchemy catalyst to convert cobble into sand for glass.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

There's not a flower, but the drum of the gathering, when hit with a mana burst, will fill any empty buckets that are directly on top of a cow (a 1x1 pen made from fences with empty crates above them works for the positional requirement.) From there, you can use golem workbenches (automagy) or crafty crates (botania) to craft bottles of milk, a vanilla cobblegen + bore lens mana spreader to make cobble, alchemy catalyst to convert cobble into sand for glass.

Sounds good. My plan was to skip buckets entirely and use the boiler for the fluids. My solution ended up being a rancher that outputs directly to a hardened portable tank with a decanting golem moving the milk. I'm setting up my tree farm now for coal so eventually I will have a network of sorting golems that distribute the coal into all the furnaces and boilers. I will probably end up using a bunch of magical mirrors for central storage and moving parts.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

In unrelated news, Ascent Boost is pretty hilarious: http://gfycat.com/SpectacularCornyIchneumonfly

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Really frustrated with the biome scanner. I've literally scoured the Mushroom Island biome of any blight, scanned and didn't make gold. So I dove into the water and scoured the island outline and got rid of the Sinister node that surprisingly was hiding a tainted node under it's radius. Scan still is unforgiving. PEERED CLOSELY AT THE EYE SEARING PIXELS TRYING TO FIND OFF-COLOURS, scoured the island outline even further. Mushroom Island icon now slowly blinks but no medal is forthcoming.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, BIOME SCANNER!?

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Demiurge4 posted:

Sounds good. My plan was to skip buckets entirely and use the boiler for the fluids. My solution ended up being a rancher that outputs directly to a hardened portable tank with a decanting golem moving the milk. I'm setting up my tree farm now for coal so eventually I will have a network of sorting golems that distribute the coal into all the furnaces and boilers. I will probably end up using a bunch of magical mirrors for central storage and moving parts.

You could've also dove into Automagy and got a thirsty tank with a glyph of the bovine attached, but it seems you're fine for now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So I found a mod interaction in Blightfall that I am thinking was not thought of during testing...

Here's how this goes. I used a safari net to capture a tainted villager, which is a custom NPC. I used the MFR auto-spawner in non-exact mode to spawn one from it. I ended up with a steve NPC that just stands there and talks to you if you click him. He has a decent amount of health and comes back to life if killed, so I dunno how to get rid of him. However, he becomes useful!

Blood magic of course at least early on requires you to hurt yourself for the LP which means you need some method of regen to really do anything that way. Well, amordrine swords steal HP, and here you have this big bag of hearts steve NPC. So hurt yourself for LP, when stab him to get your hearts back, repeat. Using this method I did the entire Blood Magic quest line in like maybe an hour without ever using anything but the self-sacrifice knife and orbs. Having extra heart containers helps, of course.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I can't infuse golem core: chop. I put on the requisitioned iron axes but it's a no go. Is this a bug or can I fix it?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

gently caress you, blight. I got my badge. And a place to hunt normal hostile mobs. Now I'm going to retire from cleaning for a bit while I stock up my vertical farm with golems and things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

In unrelated news, Ascent Boost is pretty hilarious: http://gfycat.com/SpectacularCornyIchneumonfly

Yeah... personally I don't put anything past Ascent Boost I on my stuff. Jumping that high without any control over it gets inconvenient.

Light Gun Man posted:

So I found a mod interaction in Blightfall that I am thinking was not thought of during testing...

Here's how this goes. I used a safari net to capture a tainted villager, which is a custom NPC. I used the MFR auto-spawner in non-exact mode to spawn one from it. I ended up with a steve NPC that just stands there and talks to you if you click him. He has a decent amount of health and comes back to life if killed, so I dunno how to get rid of him. However, he becomes useful!

Blood magic of course at least early on requires you to hurt yourself for the LP which means you need some method of regen to really do anything that way. Well, amordrine swords steal HP, and here you have this big bag of hearts steve NPC. So hurt yourself for LP, when stab him to get your hearts back, repeat. Using this method I did the entire Blood Magic quest line in like maybe an hour without ever using anything but the self-sacrifice knife and orbs. Having extra heart containers helps, of course.

Hah, yeah, custom NPCs should probably not be capturable in safari nets. You could also use the immortal steve in a Well of Suffering instead of witches, or to make infinite amounts of "Blood" in a smeltery. The Blood Magic questline is actually fairly easy if you have access to healing potions, which you would if you can requisition the ghast tears to make a reusable safari net, so this exploit isn't really much of a sequence break thankfully.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

If you've got RF generation going (or a good energy cell), the MFR Rancher block makes it really easy. You don't even need RF generation, if you have a redstone or resonant energy cell then the energy costs are trivial. Also the Rancher can directly pump into the boiler, though I'd feed it into a resonant tank that pumps into the boiler to give you a nice big buffer (512 buckets) on the milk.

The Rancher is, literally, point at a cow, give it power and plug a pipe into it. The hardest part is figuring out which way the drat thing is facing, if you're not familiar with MFR.

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 29, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

If you've got RF generation going (or a good energy cell), the MFR Rancher block makes it really easy. You don't even need RF generation, if you have a redstone or resonant energy cell then the energy costs are trivial. Also the Rancher can directly pump into the boiler, though I'd feed it into a resonant tank that pumps into the boiler to give you a nice big buffer (512 buckets) on the milk.

The Rancher is, literally, point at a cow, give it power and plug a pipe into it. The hardest part is figuring out which way the drat thing is facing, if you're not familiar with MFR.

Yeah the rancher is really nice and easy to use, so I'll just leave it as is :)

Going back to your tree-farm you posted many pages ago, what do you use to pull the items out of the chest and into the barrels/furnace?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

McFrugal posted:

Yeah... personally I don't put anything past Ascent Boost I on my stuff. Jumping that high without any control over it gets inconvenient.

Hah, yeah, custom NPCs should probably not be capturable in safari nets. You could also use the immortal steve in a Well of Suffering instead of witches, or to make infinite amounts of "Blood" in a smeltery. The Blood Magic questline is actually fairly easy if you have access to healing potions, which you would if you can requisition the ghast tears to make a reusable safari net, so this exploit isn't really much of a sequence break thankfully.

You can also get a bunch of healing potions in the floating city, there's some themed shops and one of them is an alchemy shop. Also how I got the botania quest for invisibility potions done easily; there's a shitload of invisibility 1 and or/night vision potions you can brew into invisibility 2 potions there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

LASERS

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

I have to ask why the tartarite legs and shoes.

Well, I guess you can repair them easily with a thaumic repairer considering you practically get 3 instrumentum per gravel with fortune 3.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

I have to ask why the tartarite legs and shoes.

Well, I guess you can repair them easily with a thaumic repairer considering you practically get 3 instrumentum per gravel with fortune 3.

It was the best metal I had a lot of. What would you have used instead?

I have the matching chest plate and helmet in my backpack if I need max protection.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

It was the best metal I had a lot of. What would you have used instead?

I have the matching chest plate and helmet in my backpack if I need max protection.

Boots of traveling and thaumium fortress armor, and fortress armor also provides protection against things like poison.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 29, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah the rancher is really nice and easy to use, so I'll just leave it as is :)

Going back to your tree-farm you posted many pages ago, what do you use to pull the items out of the chest and into the barrels/furnace?

Thermal Dynamics Servos. I put item frames on the chest to restrict the hopperhock to only grabbing saplings, apples, and logs, then use a servo to pull items from the chest. There's also a redundant dense pipe between the furnace and the rest of the piping because TD pipes send items to the nearest valid inventory. Dense pipes count as like a thousand pipelengths, but aren't needed there because the furnace is the longest path anyway.

Output from the furnace is into a hungry chest, and output from there is another servo that's hidden underneath the chest, because I like hiding my pipework as much as I can.

I'm on vacation atm but get home tonight, I can take pictures of stuff if you or anyone else has any questions! I'm planning to continue to document my automation stuff as I work on automating everything I can - one of my goals is to automate production of as many kinds of essentia as I can, including phial production.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

Thermal Dynamics Servos. I put item frames on the chest to restrict the hopperhock to only grabbing saplings, apples, and logs, then use a servo to pull items from the chest. There's also a redundant dense pipe between the furnace and the rest of the piping because TD pipes send items to the nearest valid inventory. Dense pipes count as like a thousand pipelengths, but aren't needed there because the furnace is the longest path anyway.

Output from the furnace is into a hungry chest, and output from there is another servo that's hidden underneath the chest, because I like hiding my pipework as much as I can.

I'm on vacation atm but get home tonight, I can take pictures of stuff if you or anyone else has any questions! I'm planning to continue to document my automation stuff as I work on automating everything I can - one of my goals is to automate production of as many kinds of essentia as I can, including phial production.

Yeah I figured it out and got it to send properly. I'm gonna have to move my treefarm to the other island because real estate is at a premium, will have to use a magic mirror to transport the coal.

What quest unlocks ghast tears and ender pearl requisitions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
What modpack should I download if I want everything but the kitchen sink in a server with my friends? I was going to try OMPi, but it seems not to have a server download at all. Am I missing something and, if not, what's an alternative modpack with lots of different mods to explore?