Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*

Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Me posting

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

What I love about this picture is that it's the equivalent of putting a modern-day person in front of a Gutenberg printing press and seeing how they'd react to it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
cut from the anime but left in the light novels was a scene after the concert where Haruhi proceeds to bang all the band members except the bassist

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

cut from the anime but left in the light novels was a scene after the concert where Haruhi proceeds to bang all the band members except the bassist

i get this ref

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

If you're Kyon I don't know how you could possibly say no.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

oh god i'm becoming one of the yuki likers

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

dailydares posted:

Like everything in the show it's intentionally left ambiguous and I think it depends on how you view Haruhi as a character. If you think that Haruhi is selfish then the final scene of the episode reveals that maybe she did it only to get praised because she's never done anything that's warranted praise before. I'm inclined to think it's pure coincidence though.

Some interesting parallels between it and Eva 24 imo
This is my third or fourth watch of this series and I've come to the conclusion that despite the amazing animation of both songs, my favourite part of the whole performance from a plot point of view is the bit between the two songs because for arguably the first time in the series Haruhi acts like a normal person.

She doesn't press-gang ENOZ, she doesn't claim the stage in the name of the SOS-dan, she doesn't make it about herself. She's just joyful that not only they managed the song but people loved it then the introduces the band as, well, who they are (starting with the actual members of ENOZ, then Yuki, then herself last), makes a humble apology/explanation, offers to give "real" ENOZ recordings out and then checks with someone else if that's okay rather than just assuming. And then back to the :rock:

Of course you've then got the scene outside where it hammers those points home to make sure nobody misses "HEY THIS IS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT HERE, PEOPLE" but it's a bit superfluous if you're paying attention.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

oh god i'm becoming one of the yuki likers
She's a pretty obvious derivation of the archetype (hell, her name alone spells it out) but KyoAni handle it so well that it works.

Itzena fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 29, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mentioned it before, but I always felt that Live Alive was basically the endpoint for Haruhi as a character in the series. All the little side episodes, the main narrative of her melancholy, were basically all building up to this moment. The fact that it is episode 12 in both broadcast order and chronological order is likely no mistake since the episode serves as a climax for both narratives, at least for Haruhi anyways. It's the closest where we see Haruhi come to embracing the mundane over the supernatural. Everything that comes afterwards serves more to explore Kyon's own motivations, and to a lesser extent Nagato's character and her own relationship to the world and Kyon.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah, it's a little odd that The Day of Sagittarius comes chronologically after Live Alive though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Yeah, it's a little odd that The Day of Sagittarius comes chronologically after Live Alive though.

This is strange. In my mind I always think it's Live Alive, Someday in the Rain, Disappearance. Which makes way more sense.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah Sagittarius is kinda sealed off from the rest of the show, you can see it as Haruhi reverting to her personal mean after all the development in Live Alive I guess.

I never think of Live Alive as a one-off (I doubt anyone does), it's really integrated into the rest of the story and I agree with everyone who loves it. it's the high point of Haruhi's character, Aya Hirano's performance and Kyoani's animation pre-Disappearance. definite classic.

anyway really exciting pair. I forgot how much I love the broadcast order even after talking it up so much

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 29, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I'm the espon brand laptop

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

mondays gonna be good for all us clowns standing on tiptoe at the edge of a cliff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

mondays gonna be good for all us clowns standing on tiptoe at the edge of a cliff

I already experienced Monday on Thursday, and agreed

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm probably not going to make the Monday time, so I watched ahead. Not gonna post anything about the episodes yet.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I forgot, the official website is based off the one in the show

http://www.haruhi.tv/

The hit counter lies to you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

.jpg posted:

I forgot, the official website is based off the one in the show

http://www.haruhi.tv/

The hit counter lies to you

Speaking of, there's a fun point about Haruhi's webpage: 1/3rd of the total pageviews it gets are from the president of the computer club wanting to know what Haruhi's doing with his computer

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lots of goofy cg in melancholy 5 if I remember right but for some reason it never bugs me. any koizumi fans should tune in tonight, he's gonna finally start to really turn on.

favorite koizumi moments will have to wait for season 2 and disappearance, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A bit earlier this time, so that folks with under-stocked bars have time to fix that: the drink of the evening is Pink Gin.

2-3 oz. (60-90 ml for our foreign friends) gin
2-3 dashes Angostura aromatic bitters

shake with ice, strain into chilled glass, garnish with a lemon twist.

Alternatively, the lazy version that I plan to consume: ice in glass, 2-3 dashes of bitters, gin on top, done.

Again, it is expected that if you are able, you prepare and consume at least one while marveling at Haruhi's antics.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

:coffee:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

marveling at Haruhi's antics.

yeah Live Alive might've been the high point of her development, but the cool thing about the end of this arc is we get a really clean, clear look at what makes haruhi tick. her flashback in 5 should really make you feel for her, if you don't already.

but I'm saying too much! just excited, hope I can live post and not live life today

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
All I have to drink is straight Kentucky bourbon, but I will have a glass or three while I watch. These two episodes are the last ones of the bunch that I saw years ago, so starting Wednesday it will all be new to me.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Command Ant posted:

What I love about this picture is that it's the equivalent of putting a modern-day person in front of a Gutenberg printing press and seeing how they'd react to it.

You joke, but I deal with folks everyday who do this very thing, or try to point the mouse at the computer screen like its a TV remote.

TheKingofSprings posted:

and subsequently gets fired from her agency as a result. If you thought America was bad about the way it treats women...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

and subsequently gets fired from her agency as a result. If you thought America was bad about the way it treats women...
still pisses me off, aya hirano is the homo superior, let her have sex, jeez

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Zas posted:

still pisses me off, aya hirano is the homo superior, let her have sex, jeez

Yeah, for serious. "Oh no! A woman I will never meet in person let alone have a relationship with was spotted standing next to a man she spends a lot of time with! The whore! Let me publicly burn all this merchandise I spent thousands and thousands of dollars on because of reasons! My anger is somehow justified!!"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Japanese pop industry is weird, if anybody has a cool writeup about that i'd appreciate it though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Was there ever any definitive story about her getting fired, since she still gets regular voice roles so it kinda seems like one of those stories that people like to rage over (obviously there were a bunch of people online that got mad about her but w/e)

It seemed to me like the reason she voiced fewer characters for awhile was because she was busy with that band.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Srice posted:

Was there ever any definitive story about her getting fired, since she still gets regular voice roles so it kinda seems like one of those stories that people like to rage over (obviously there were a bunch of people online that got mad about her but w/e)

It seemed to me like the reason she voiced fewer characters for awhile was because she was busy with that band.

I admit I'm going on hearsay, and it was great to hear her in parasyte, sooo I dunno

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Srice posted:

Going off of hearsay, Twitter, and internet postings:

-She has a benign pituitary gland tumor that was apparently messing with her pretty bad. She didn't want to have surgery to remove it, because it could permanently gently caress up her voice, so she opted to stop VAing for a while. She announces the tumor in November 2010, is forbidden by her doctor from taking on any new roles in April 2011.

-Big to do over the sex thing, as well as other "unlady like" behavior. There was a photo shoot where she "accidentally" wore the halves of a bikini wrong (top on bottom, vice versa), and people roared. She wore what people took to be an engagement ring for a while, and people screamed. A whole bunch of things. You aren't supposed to gently caress with your fans/the media like that, she did went out of her way to mess with their heads. This is throughout 2008-2010, when she's really in the media's eye.

-She gets fired from Lantis, her music agency, in May 2011. She doesn't say it, but the idea is that it's because of the tumor and she's wanting to go in a new direction, isn't working as a singer right now, etc etc. The sex thing comes out publicly as the actual reason in a gossip magazine in August 2011, and otaku burn with rage, even more so than they did when she was just messing with their heads.

-Wanting a voice acting agency that's better suited to her wants and needs, she leaves Space Craft in August 2011, and is almost immediately picked up by Grick (about 2 weeks later). She resumes voice acting like it's no thing.

Celebrity gossip is that she really wants to break into TV, where the real money and fame are, but that market is competitive as hell. She also put out a few singles in 2013.

One theory is that the tumor is a complete lie, cooked up to give her a convenient way out of the spotlight until the heat died down, but there's literally no way to confirm that, and anyways, since the Japanese gossip rags found out anyways, it didn't work.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Whiskey at the ready. We've got Melancholy 5 and 6 today, right?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Going off of hearsay, Twitter, and internet postings:

-She has a benign pituitary gland tumor that was apparently messing with her pretty bad. She didn't want to have surgery to remove it, because it could permanently gently caress up her voice, so she opted to stop VAing for a while. She announces the tumor in November 2010, is forbidden by her doctor from taking on any new roles in April 2011.

-Big to do over the sex thing, as well as other "unlady like" behavior. There was a photo shoot where she "accidentally" wore the halves of a bikini wrong (top on bottom, vice versa), and people roared. She wore what people took to be an engagement ring for a while, and people screamed. A whole bunch of things. You aren't supposed to gently caress with your fans/the media like that, she did went out of her way to mess with their heads. This is throughout 2008-2010, when she's really in the media's eye.

-She gets fired from Lantis, her music agency, in May 2011. She doesn't say it, but the idea is that it's because of the tumor and she's wanting to go in a new direction, isn't working as a singer right now, etc etc. The sex thing comes out publicly as the actual reason in a gossip magazine in August 2011, and otaku burn with rage, even more so than they did when she was just messing with their heads.

-Wanting a voice acting agency that's better suited to her wants and needs, she leaves Space Craft in August 2011, and is almost immediately picked up by Grick (about 2 weeks later). She resumes voice acting like it's no thing.

Celebrity gossip is that she really wants to break into TV, where the real money and fame are, but that market is competitive as hell. She also put out a few singles in 2013.

One theory is that the tumor is a complete lie, cooked up to give her a convenient way out of the spotlight until the heat died down, but there's literally no way to confirm that, and anyways, since the Japanese gossip rags found out anyways, it didn't work.

lol @ all of this

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

AnoHito posted:

Whiskey at the ready. We've got Melancholy 5 and 6 today, right?

yep, end of season 1. I hope the numbers don't drop severely for s2, and of course everyone owes it to themselves to watch disappearance

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Let's do this anime poo poo.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

yep, end of season 1. I hope the numbers don't drop severely for s2, and of course everyone owes it to themselves to watch disappearance

Please. even if you are are weird and don't like s2, watch the movie

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh yeah, we're detective-ing Asakura.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Way to invade people's privacy, Haruhi.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Way to invade people's privacy, Haruhi.

all in a day's work for an ultra detective