Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mastershakeman posted:

They usually do, I just got a flyer for a sale but it didn't have the member 20% off any one item discount so that was confusing.

I got the same and an email this morning for 20% off an outlet item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
bastards...I want 20% off anything :argh:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The sales were kind of lovely. I might stock up on REI branded base layers though. 25% off.

Oh, and Darn Tough socks are on sale.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 26, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Levitate posted:

bastards...I want 20% off anything :argh:

Exactly why I mentioned the Campsaver special. Honestly there's not a whole hell of a lot I buy at REI anymore, I'm sure it's the same for lots of people here. Unless it's something that has potential fit issues that I could see myself returning like shoes. Occasionally an REI made item might be worth checking out. Otherwise it's Campsaver, Backcountry, Campmor, local shops and garage sales and thrift stores for me. REI can be beat on price clost to %99 of the time and they have a limited selection.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm looking at some shorts I want that aren't on sale anywhere (campsaver doesn't have my size) so I was hoping there might be a REI sale coming up

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I know this has been gone over recently, but I need hammock advice. I think my wife would like one. Not just for hiking purposes, but I'd like it to be packable just in case. I'm looking at the double ENO. I don't want a single so we have plenty of room. Is this the best choice?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh, and Darn Tough socks are on sale.

:henget:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Those mountain pictures are amazing. I can't wait for my 4 day desolation wilderness trip in a few weeks, I've never gotten to hike in alpine sort of mountains.

Question for Smoove J: did you use any climbing gear for that? Looks steep and dangerous and the ridgeline looks razor thin - like you could do it without equipment but might not want to. I'm just trying to picture how it went down.

I live in Appalachia which isn't really "mountains" but they're still pretty damnit. Here's a cross-post from, uh, *mutters* from byob...

alnilam posted:

the place we camped is called "500 steps" and it's near bethel, PA, it was really nice

it's called 500 steps because the hillside is a natural boulder field (boulders of about 1-4 ft) that someone sort of arranged a bunch of actual steps into using the natural boulders, like so

(hard to see the actual "staircase" here but it's there, it was kind of like the pass of cirith ungol but way easier)

it's actually an offshoot of the appalachian trail. I met up with my housemate and good friend nearby in Bethel, and we rode there together.

it's about a half mile of climbing at a fairly steep grade, and then you get this view:

then you can hike anywhere from 0.5 to 2 miles along the AT and find lots more campsites along the way... we found this one

where some industrious AT hiker had built a little stone wall and lean-to for a nice wind-break, and a fire pit. You can also see my motorcycle saddlebags, whic hI had to put around my shoulders as if i was the saddle, to carry them up the hillside.... it was really awkward and hard, compared to a proper pack.

the wind break made fire building really easy, and the stone wall reflected all the fire's heat at us, as pictured here

which was good because after setting up camp, we hiked 2 miles to find a pond created by a fire dam, and there was a goddamn rope swing. the sun was setting and it was getting cold but gently caress if i'm gonna turn down a rope swing. so to keep our clothes dry we skinny dap (nobody else around), and the water was COLD! but it felt relly nice and anyway we hiked back to camp in the dark and got nice and toasty by the fire with chili and potatoes and beer.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

Look Sir Droids posted:

I know this has been gone over recently, but I need hammock advice. I think my wife would like one. Not just for hiking purposes, but I'd like it to be packable just in case. I'm looking at the double ENO. I don't want a single so we have plenty of room. Is this the best choice?

I really like my Grand Trunk hammock, and they are usually easier to find on sale. If you live near any Meijer stores, the one near me recently had the Grand Trunk Double for 50% off.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dang I got a permit cancelation notice for my Kings Canyon trip later in September...Highway 180 is still closed due to the rough fire so I guess they're just erring on the side of caution and letting people know if it's still closed then they can't proceed with their trip.

It's not really even a cancelation just a "if the road's closed, then your permit is canceled, if it's open then you can go ahead as planned"

Sucks not being certain whether I'll be able to do the trip. Might try to get a permit in through Mineral King trailhead or something as a backup and figure out some other loop

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Fires don't show any sign of slowing, I'd go ahead and plan an alternate destination.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have a double nest, my wife has a single nest. I'm 6'3"/190lbs and I can lay in the single, but I find the double more comfortable. Are you looking at both of you using it at the same time? Ostensibly they are for that purpose, but that doesn't seem practical to me. Maybe I'm the odd one.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hungryjack posted:

I have a double nest, my wife has a single nest. I'm 6'3"/190lbs and I can lay in the single, but I find the double more comfortable. Are you looking at both of you using it at the same time? Ostensibly they are for that purpose, but that doesn't seem practical to me. Maybe I'm the odd one.

Not really expecting to, but I'd like the option. I'm 5'9 on a good day and my wife is 4 inches shorter. I just want it to be roomy.

Also, the product description looks like I would need to buy tree straps separately to hang it. Is that accurate?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bottom Liner posted:

Fires don't show any sign of slowing, I'd go ahead and plan an alternate destination.

It's 3 weeks away and a shift in weather can drastically change how a fire is behaving, but yeah the loving thing appears to be just burning along highway 180

it's one thing to have to cancel because where you're going is on fire, it's another because a road is closed :argh:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a two-inch slash in my black diamond single wall tent. I think it is made of PTFE. I wanted to cover the cut with gorilla tape and seam seal it, but the tape won't stick. I have a thermarest hot melt repair kit, but I'm not sure if that will hold either and I'd rather not waste it. Any advice?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Try mcnett tenacious tape? Stuck just fine to my silnylon tent when I got a small hole

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

taqueso posted:

I have a two-inch slash in my black diamond single wall tent. I think it is made of PTFE. I wanted to cover the cut with gorilla tape and seam seal it, but the tape won't stick. I have a thermarest hot melt repair kit, but I'm not sure if that will hold either and I'd rather not waste it. Any advice?

Levitate posted:

Try mcnett tenacious tape? Stuck just fine to my silnylon tent when I got a small hole

I would second the tenacious tape. Or you could try one of those heavier canvas patches that glue on and then heat to seal it. I've done that before on a nylon tent and it's held up pretty well.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

alnilam posted:

Question for Smoove J: did you use any climbing gear for that? Looks steep and dangerous and the ridgeline looks razor thin - like you could do it without equipment but might not want to. I'm just trying to picture how it went down.

I would've felt more comfortable with crampons/ice axe on the glacier, but it seemed so late in the season, and it's been such a hot dry year, that I didn't think I should need them. Any earlier (or later) in the season and those items would be necessary. Here's a decent route overview, toughest part was just having the endurance to do it in three days, this is usually considered a five-day climb http://www.summitpost.org/southeast-ridge-route/656100

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Levitate posted:

Turns out there was a bit of tenacious tape that came with the seam grip. It stuck a little bit (it didn't just slide off like ice like the gorilla tape), but it didn't really adhere and the edges kept peeling up. So I seam-gripped some of the repair cloth from the thermarest kit over the slash. Hopefully it holds. :)

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I am looking to buy a good and proper 2-person winter tent and so far, the Hilleberg Jannu has caught my eye. My main requirement is that it be wind-resistant and relatively light - is the Jannu a good choice in this regard? So far, my go-to tent has been the Ferrino Lighttent 2, which is a summer tent that might as well be made of mesh - all the air comes straight through. Not the most comfortable option at -10C conditions.

My main concern is that with my current tent being so unsatisfactory with regard to wind, I might accidentally overlook non-wind-related downsides of the Jannu. Is there anything relevant about it that I might come to regret later? The reviews all seem good but I am somewhat paranoid about reviews as many of them seem to be written/recorded right after purchasing, without much actual usage backing them up.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Look Sir Droids posted:

Try these guys with code 'facebookspecial'. I have no personal experience, but I am thinking about getting one for a bigger hammock to have on hand.

http://hobohammocks.com/

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All the smoke from the fires is blanketing us here, it's been really brutal for those of us with lung conditions. I can hardly even set foot outside. I cancelled my backpacking plans for next week and we're going to Mexico to try and get some fresh air. I've been dizzy, wiped out, and hiding indoors all week.

I've seen photos of viewpoints in the Rockies and the mountains are missing, the smoke is so thick.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Hey guys, I want your opinion: night hiking in the northeast in a state park where black bears are known to roam, what's the line between crazy and reckless?

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 29, 2015

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
You'd probably be fine in a group. I wouldn't hike at night alone in an area where bears were accustomed to humans.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Question for PA hiking goons - what are the must-see hikes in central Pennsylvania? I'm going to have a week in State College coming up at the end of September with some free time for hiking, wanted to make sure I hit the high points in the area (up to 1-1.5 hours away).

Suicide Watch posted:

Hey guys, I want your opinion: night hiking in the northeast in a state park where black bears are known to roam, what's the line between crazy and reckless?

I've never heard of black bears messing with an active human at night, I would be more concerned with whether you're familiar with the trail your taking or if the night hike is the first time you'll be on it. If you don't know where you're going it can be extremely easy to accidentally wander off the trail in the dark and it can be a real pain trying to find your way back on with a headlamp. I would only go night hiking on a trail I've previously been on and already knew the route.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Suicide Watch posted:

I've night hiked in grizzly/cougar/wolf territory, fairly reckless but worth it. If it were only black bears I'd have to contend with, I'd say "Safe as gently caress".

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Question for PA hiking goons - what are the must-see hikes in central Pennsylvania? I'm going to have a week in State College coming up at the end of September with some free time for hiking, wanted to make sure I hit the high points in the area (up to 1-1.5 hours away).

Unfortunately I'm not mega familiar with north central PA, and 1-1.5 hours really isn't far in that part of the state.

The so-called "PA grand canyon" is close to state college and really good. There are a few backpacking loops there that I've heard are great.

You won't be too far from Allegheny national forest either, and i quite like it there. Minister Creek and heart's content are the top areas there imo, those and the one gorgeous spot where it turns out you're not supposed to camp and i almost got arrested...

If you can visit the Susquehanna in some way, it's a really beautiful river.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think the only thing that would make night hiking more dangerous is that you might be more likely to startle a bear, but they're not really predators that are going to sneak up and attack you in the dark

e: I think someone in here recently went to the Desolation Wilderness right? Any ideas for a weeklong trip there? I'm working on plan B if my SEKI trip is smoked out. Figure I might as well go north to avoid the smoke from the area...if the road in is still closed then it's bound to still be smoky and what's the point of just picking another trailhead in the middle of all that smoke

Levitate fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 30, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Don't fly your goddamn drones over a park/wilderness area. gently caress you.
lol welcome to the future.

Noise is completely solveable- you must be thinking of mulitrotors, which are really a poor choice for mountain flying anyways; FW is better if you're conservative enough to fly high or quick-thumbed enough to not hit trees (lol, unlike most operators I know). With a FW design you can use a slow-rpm push prop and big smooth wings, and just run the motor occasionally for lift, otherwise just surfing the air currents man (and you'll still move faster than a multi!). Paved roads bro, bike paths, scree fields, all those dark surfaces heat up like the hot rocks in a sauna and as long as you're a smooth, steady operator and can thread that needle of invisible hot air, you can go hundreds of meters without tapping the motor.

Yeah man them wildfires are really some poo poo, one in particular cock-blocked me from a summit and then both I and the air filter in my truck had the esteemed pleasure of choking on smoke for the next few days. I've put in a few hours helping my local firefighters with their shortwave radio traffic nets, and have accelerated outfitting my truck for brush and getting my red card, since I doubt climate change is going to slow up and I'd rather be ready for this to happen again next summer and have wasted my time then be in a position again where I have the will but not the papers to help out.

Suicide Watch posted:

I did this all the time when I lived in the northeast, and do it now in the northwest. Just don't try to cross a river at night alone without GPS. It's a sure way to get soaked (guilty as charged, my only defense is that I was 15 years old and had a touch of "get-it-done fever" at the time). If you're hiking on-trail with a full moon and snow on the ground, or some lights, it's no trouble at all, a real pleasant change of pace from the heat of the day and a great way to make up for time lost during the day. What I do is I wear two lights, one on my belt angled straight out, and one on either a headband or the bill of my cap angled a bit down. That lets me see "distant" things for navigation (tree blazes, signs, prominent features) but still get enough of a shadow going at my feet that I don't trip on rocks and tree roots when jogging. West coast blue pine is real nice for this stuff, it comes up very white under the soft glow of a headlamp, makes it super easy to follow the trail.

You could consider getting one of those lights used for caving, or the front light off a mountain bike used for night rides. That'd be much brighter than a flashlight or headlamp, and would really help illumination if you're having some trouble there.

There's a fella over in the TFR hiking thread called The Rat, he's got some experience using night vision devices for recreation outdoors. Due to the cost of such apparatus, I've never gotten the chance to play with one, but my understanding is detail is good but your field of view is limited, which may or may not matter to you.

On the times when you have to go off-trail at night, especially the aforementioned river crossing, you'll find your GPS mighty useful. Update your maps and calibrate the GPS before you go; being off by 50 meters is okay during the day, but, in my experience, has led to as much as 30 minutes of wasted time trying to figure out which way to go (and a bit of the old slidey-slidey splashy-splashy when it comes to those unfortunate situations when the bridge is washed out, the trail's overgrown, you're crossing a river in a glacial canyon so all the dry spots are at a 50 degree angle. Dyneema's tough stuff but when you slide down on your rear end 30 over sharp rocks you'll find you've collected a few tears on the bottom of the pack and the seat of your pants!)

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 30, 2015

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Levitate posted:

e: I think someone in here recently went to the Desolation Wilderness right? Any ideas for a weeklong trip there? I'm working on plan B if my SEKI trip is smoked out. Figure I might as well go north to avoid the smoke from the area...if the road in is still closed then it's bound to still be smoky and what's the point of just picking another trailhead in the middle of all that smoke

Highly recommend Aloha Lake in the south and Dick's Pass/Peak/Lake, some of the most unique terrain I've ever seen. The Rubicon (not the off-road track, the valley west of the peaks) was fairly boring by comparison, and pretty hard to find good water. The Velma Lakes to the north were nice, but I wish we'd explored down south a little more.

We spent a long weekend looping through each region, but that was hiking sun-up to sun-down. I'm sure you could get a good week spending more time at the lakes or summiting. Plus, dogs and hammocks are allowed if that's your style.

Does anybody have experience with the Hermit and Tonto Trails in the Grand Canyon? Currently have reservations at Hermit Creek and Salt Lake, but wondering if there are any preferred campsites or must-see features. This will be in winter, if that makes a difference.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I've never heard of black bears messing with an active human at night, I would be more concerned with whether you're familiar with the trail your taking or if the night hike is the first time you'll be on it. If you don't know where you're going it can be extremely easy to accidentally wander off the trail in the dark and it can be a real pain trying to find your way back on with a headlamp. I would only go night hiking on a trail I've previously been on and already knew the route.

The Alleghany Front Trail is very close by, 35 minutes or so and makes for a cool hike.

I live in State College and spend a lot of time in Rothrock State Forest, there are a poo poo ton of trails and you can make any kind of hike you want, depending on how much time you have. Pick up a purple lizard map at Appalachian Outdoors (downtown), pick a trail and off you go. The Mid-State Trail is good for multi-day if you want to do that. Shingletown Gap offers plenty of trails and several loops of up to 12 miles.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

You'll be fine. Have a good headlamp with you and be sure to make plenty of noise so that you don't spoke one. Other than that just be smart with your food when you make camp. Get a bear canister or hang it properly.

Keldoclock posted:

lol welcome to the future.

Noise is completely solveable- you must be thinking of mulitrotors, which are really a poor choice for mountain flying anyways; FW is better if you're conservative enough to fly high or quick-thumbed enough to not hit trees (lol, unlike most operators I know). With a FW design you can use a slow-rpm push prop and big smooth wings, and just run the motor occasionally for lift, otherwise just surfing the air currents man (and you'll still move faster than a multi!). Paved roads bro, bike paths, scree fields, all those dark surfaces heat up like the hot rocks in a sauna and as long as you're a smooth, steady operator and can thread that needle of invisible hot air, you can go hundreds of meters without tapping the motor.

I'd still be annoyed even if I saw a quiet one floating about. Part of the reason I go out to hike and camp is to get away from the modern world to a degree. I'm not saying they don't have their uses but I'd hate to be gazing upon some mountain side and see a drone buzzing all about.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am looking to get a GPS unit and want some advice.

Maybe 90% of what I want it for is to fuel my obsession with maps, so I'm looking for a GPS that will let me dump a day's data into google maps or something similar so I can start making my own accurate trail maps.

Most of the parks around here are very poorly mapped, most only have a very rudimentary and out of date trail map. However, given that most of the park land here was farmed or logged at some point, and our insane whitetail population, there are allways tons of old roadbeds and assorted branch trails that I get all hot and bothered exploring. I do some hand mapping but unless you have to people and really take your time pacing out distance, it isn't very useful. I hate backtracking so being able to map out side trails that link blazed ones will let me plan longer loop trips without the usual backtracking.

Anyone have a GPS and use it this way?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Finally got through processing some of my photos from my trip to the Skoki region of Banff National Park 2 weeks ago. I'm posting lots, so be warned.

Reboubt Mountain is a shapeshifter, it changes it's look as we work our way around it.
Redoubt Mountain from Hidden Lake by Jenn, on Flickr

Hidden Lake by Jenn, on Flickr

Backpacking in Skoki by Jenn, on Flickr

Redoubt Mountain by Jenn, on Flickr

Some people skip Deception Pass because it's about 200m up in a short distance, but I think they're fools. The views are amazing.
Redoubt Mountain from Deception Pass by Jenn, on Flickr

North of Skoki from Deception Pass by Jenn, on Flickr

And even better as you descend the north slope.
Wildflowers by Jenn, on Flickr

A 10 minute walk from where we camped nights 2 and 3.
Red Deer Lakes with Mt. Hector, Mt. Andromache, and Molar Mountain by Jenn, on Flickr

There's a person in this shot.
Ptarmigan Peak by Jenn, on Flickr

One of the bluest glacial lakes I have ever seen. And that's really saying something, considering where I live.
Myosotis Lake by Jenn, on Flickr

The Wall of Jericho is massive and amazing.
Myosotis and Zigadenus Lakes by Jenn, on Flickr

We hiked up to a small high point overlooking the valleys.
Southern Skoki by Jenn, on Flickr

Wall of Jericho by Jenn, on Flickr

The panorama didn't work perfectly but it's good enough for me.
360 pan from unnamed point by Jenn, on Flickr

And this is a screenshot from a video, but this is what we hiked out in on day 5. Typical Rockies alpine. The barely visible cliff at top left is Redoubt Mountain. At some points it was a full white-out blizzard.
August snow in Skoki by Jenn, on Flickr

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
loving awesome.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Why do the Rockies have to be so amazing? Goddam.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So I see a lot of talk about people doing 2+ weeks at once. My question is: How much food do you take along and what kinds? The idea of carrying several weeks worth of food is somewhat intimidating.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
And how do you stay clean? Or do you just get used to being greasy all the time?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

If you can't get more food somewhere, you carry two weeks of food. Plan it carefully, bring calorie rich foods. Two weeks of food at ~1.5 lbs (depending on person/exertion/moon) is ~21 lbs. If you're base weight is say, 12 lbs., you'll be okay. It gets lighter as you go, of course.

Planning food carefully is more important than anything else for me, anymore. Being hungry, not eating enough for a day's exertion, and eating unsatisfying meals is a big drag. Hot cereal, warm dinners, and snacks I actually look forward to are huge helps. The days of surviving on Clif bars and raisins are loving gone, and good riddance.

I wash up a little with water only in the middle of sunny days, maybe every 3 days. More often if it's really dusty/messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

EssOEss posted:

And how do you stay clean? Or do you just get used to being greasy all the time?

Baby wipes for underarms, crotch, and face and continue to wear deodorant.

For really long expedition style things.. think like 4 months in the Himalayas they usually have a shower setup.