Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I've been in a room with three The Cage's in regular old Rebirth already, why should this scare me

Because that looks to be Necropolis I. You might have a decent load out by then, but not "four Cages in one fight" easy mode load out. Even with what looks like gigantic tears and Devil Bum, that run was ended.

:getin:

E: in fact:

That looks like a normal double trouble cage room with the top and bottom portions cut away, so roughly the size of a normal room of usable space. And i haven't seen the stream, but I'm guessing those are like the red Monstros which only jump, so that's four Cages likely just constantly rolling around all the time. Without flight, good luck!

bawk fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jibo posted:

Other than the Poop, I'm pretty sure any "useless or annoying item" is actually intended to be an upgrade, even if they are in some cases actually detrimental.

Aw, The Poop isn't so bad, you can use it to cross pits and clear red poops.

death .cab for qt posted:

Because that looks to be Necropolis I. You might have a decent load out by then, but not "four Cages in one fight" easy mode load out. Even with what looks like gigantic tears and Devil Bum, that run was ended.

E: in fact:

That looks like a normal double trouble cage room with the top and bottom portions cut away, so roughly the size of a normal room of usable space. And i haven't seen the stream, but I'm guessing those are like the red Monstros which only jump, so that's four Cages likely just constantly rolling around all the time. Without flight, good luck!

They were trying to end it because they only had so much time. Cobalt decided to end the run by seeing how many rooms he could get through just mashing his face into things.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Dr. Fetus posted:

How does Edmund not see R U A Wizard as a negative effect? It's always a downgrade to your DPS.
It's not always a dps downgrade; if your tear rate is slow enough then you can alternate what direction you fire to make the wizard tears always go the same way. takes a small amount of practice

The 20/20 version sounds pretty great to me, I will enjoy trying to maximize dps with it in rooms filled with enemies

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ariong posted:

Aw, The Poop isn't so bad, you can use it to cross pits and clear red poops.

Yeah I actually like it for both of those reasons and also for the slight chance of an extra item drop every room but I'm pretty sure that it's intended to be a garbage item.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm guessing the Dunce Cap is something that only got added in for the sake of making a new Challenge level.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
Amazing Cain seed so far, sharing for goodness:

- Basement XL w/ deaths touch and revenge fly, growth hormones and cat-o-nine-tails boss items :monocle:
- Caves 1 devil beggar with gimp mask, shop with champion belt :allears:
- Skip basement and caves 1 devil rooms for an angel room with sacred heart on caves 2 :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mons Hubris posted:

I'm guessing the Dunce Cap is something that only got added in for the sake of making a new Challenge level.
Almost certainly. And I'll still just wait until someone releases a 100% save file and never do it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jibo posted:

Yeah I actually like it for both of those reasons and also for the slight chance of an extra item drop every room but I'm pretty sure that it's intended to be a garbage item.

It's also useful if you have the petrified pop trinket. Now, If the poop had a low chance to be gold, corny, red, or rainbow, that would make it actually viable

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Iron Leg posted:

Amazing Cain seed so far, sharing for goodness:

- Basement XL w/ deaths touch and revenge fly, growth hormones and cat-o-nine-tails boss items :monocle:
- Caves 1 devil beggar with gimp mask, shop with champion belt :allears:
- Skip basement and caves 1 devil rooms for an angel room with sacred heart on caves 2 :getin:

That's decidedly better than my last Judas run, where the only non-activated items before Mom (at which point I just gave up in disgust) were Taurus and the Cursed Eye

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

death .cab for qt posted:

Those are a champion version of the Cage, and I'm guessing it's just "two for one" like the pink Widow or the pink Monstro.

And the Wiz (dunce cap) doesn't completely turn me off. It fires both directions at once so you have the full fire rate with each stream. And you have an advantage against things that attack you on the orthogonal. Like the Bloat. Where are your eye lasers now, Mr. UTI?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can already cheese the Bloat by standing above him; he can't fire the laser up

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

IMJack posted:

Those are a champion version of the Cage, and I'm guessing it's just "two for one" like the pink Widow or the pink Monstro.

And the Wiz (dunce cap) doesn't completely turn me off. It fires both directions at once so you have the full fire rate with each stream. And you have an advantage against things that attack you on the orthogonal. Like the Bloat. Where are your eye lasers now, Mr. UTI?

They're not red Cages, they're all being hit by ludovico+brimstone+something (new fear shot visual?)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

kemikalkadet posted:

They're not red Cages, they're all being hit by ludovico+brimstone+something (new fear shot visual?)

I watched the video; they're pink Cages that spawned in distinct pairs. The black ring visual is a new Devil Room item called the Athame. Whenever you get hit, the ring appears for a few seconds to murder the gently caress out of any monster it touches.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
That dunce cap item seems really good? One angle is your normal DPS, so you just have to get used to firing at a 45 degree angle, and every once in a while you get a bonus hit for free.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

That dunce cap item seems really good? One angle is your normal DPS, so you just have to get used to firing at a 45 degree angle, and every once in a while you get a bonus hit for free.

Yeah, in the vid it's clear- both tears fire simultaneously, so it's actually a solid item.

Edit: Also Athame is a speed runner's dream. Once you're good enough to view your health pool as a resource instead of a safety buffer it's the equivalent of a 1/room damage item that you can use at will for the cost of half a heart. It also looked like it spit out sin hearts on hit once in a while, which is just stupid good.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 29, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Dunce cap will at least be interesting for weirdo tear effects. That'll be fun.

What happens if you're wearing it and you take a Wizard pill though? Do you shoot tears from your ears?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Cephalocidal posted:

Yeah, in the vid it's clear- both tears fire simultaneously, so it's actually a solid item.

Did he have 20/20 in the video?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jusupov posted:

Did he have 20/20 in the video?

Nope, feature of the item. Permanent double wiz is the pickup description.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How do you get the last seed that you played? The last one I played was nuts, but I didn't write down the seed as I thought it was logged. I found the log file in ~/My Games/Binding Of Isaac Rebirth, but the log file is huge, and the number of results for "seed" is too high.

My last run didn't start out great, but I started with piercing tears, then soy milk, and the boss room gave me 20/20. Eventually I got Max's Body (and head), and rubber cement, which just filled the room with so many tears that melted enemies. Then Death's Touch, which turned everything into Scythes.

This picture doesn't do it justice:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=508654125

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2015

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

Dunce cap will at least be interesting for weirdo tear effects. That'll be fun.

What happens if you're wearing it and you take a Wizard pill though? Do you shoot tears from your ears?

This would make the tears fly at the player. Clearly a 3DS-exclusive feature.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Picking up an R U A Wizard pill with that item should just give you the regular Double Vision effect. That'd also make the pill actually useful for something.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

With all the new item synergies I'd be interested to see homing + tech/brim + dunce cap. You'd have two lasers that home in and could home in on different groups of enemies for maximum room clearage.

Or Ed will program in a bunch of new brim synergies for old items but forget to do it for new items.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Manatee Cannon posted:

Picking up an R U A Wizard pill with that item should just give you the regular Double Vision effect. That'd also make the pill actually useful for something.

What is it a reference to, anyway?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kurtofan posted:

What is it a reference to, anyway?

This pic:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So what's the status on the handheld ports? Are either of em worth owning yet, or ever will be?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

So what's the status on the handheld ports? Are either of em worth owning yet, or ever will be?

I play exclusively on the Vita and I loving love it. I was playing on the train yesterday, and I think that when you're comparing the different versions, the portability is the most standout feature since the visuals are comparatively simple. The only lovely thing is getting the Curse of Darkness while trying to play in even a bit of normal sunlight. Many rooms, such as the ones filled with the black bomb-fly things, become essentially impossible.

edit: On another note I heartily approve of the game's bold pro-gambling stance:

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 30, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've played on Vita a lot and there's some slowdown/frame loss at times. It's not that bad but some people find that kind of thing more obnoxious than I do. It's totally playable though; I did all the Lost stuff on Vita, even.

No clue about the N3DS version, but do keep in mind that you need a New 3DS to play it; the old models can't play it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

BreakAtmo posted:

edit: On another note I heartily approve of the game's bold pro-gambling stance:

Which reminds me, the preview video had a new trinket called the Poker Chip, but the guy didn't hold on to it long enough to see what it did. The flavor text was something abut doubling down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Based off of just that slight information I'm assuming it gives you a chance of getting 2 of a coin/bomb/key instead of just one from a pickup. Like the items that do that for each individual pickup already, but for all of them at once.

edit: Or I'm wrong and it gives you a 2x chance of encountering super greed in every room on each floor for the rest of the run. Who knows with this game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's already the Humbleing Bundle which doubles all item drops.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm guessing it's something along the lines of Shellgame/Slot Machine/Fortune Teller take two coins but have better payouts when you win, probably just doubling what they spit out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VDay posted:

There's already the Humbleing Bundle which doubles all item drops.

It's not a trinket though. There are several items that have trinkets that do the same thing. Jibo's idea is better though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jibo posted:

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of Shellgame/Slot Machine/Fortune Teller take two coins but have better payouts when you win, probably just doubling what they spit out.

This is exactly what I thought as well

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

On the subject of the Vita version, it works fine with the Vita TV (or whatever it's called). You just need to remap the buttons that use the touch screen to something else (I use the d-pad).

The Vita version in general is fine but yeah there are some framerate issues when you've a lot of buddies and there are a lot of enemies, but it's nothing too terrible and only occasional.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It also hates rubber cement and tammy's body quite a bit. If you get a busy build it pretty much caves in but it's serviceable. Usually by the time your build is slowing the vita down you're destroying rooms in a second anyways.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

Usually by the time your build is slowing the vita down you're destroying rooms in a second anyways.

Yeah that's pretty accurate.

I'm using the Vita version for all the unlocks / challenges now. Haven't had any other issues, and it's not stopping me achieving anything. I'm equally as awful at the game on Vita as I am on PS4.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Seed HHPBNLXE

Judas seed, you start next to treasure room, that room has the Holy Mantle

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Sometimes this RNG just sucks. Managed to get book of revs on the basement, killed 2 of the horsemen and used The World on depths 1. It showed a double boss room :(

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

:siren: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/128066842874/nope-afterbirth-update-22 :siren:

New Afterbirth update, there will be a release date and pre-orders taken next week Monday, but who knows, maybe Ed's going to say it's the week after too.

Other than that there's not much else other then explaining Greed Mode a little more and how the Mode will have completely different item pools.

There's also a silver treasure room now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

:siren: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/128066842874/nope-afterbirth-update-22 :siren:

New Afterbirth update, there will be a release date and pre-orders taken next week Monday, but who knows, maybe Ed's going to say it's the week after too.

Other than that there's not much else other then explaining Greed Mode a little more and how the Mode will have completely different item pools.

There's also a silver treasure room now?

Why is the Screw halfway in the wall and semitransparent?