Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Chatrapati posted:

2A
I'd like the option to skip Interesting Times if it would be more interesting for our character to definitely succeed. As it is, failing or struggling in school could be fun.
Interesting time only adds complication to success and make it worst for failure, so it's exactly what you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
B) Nick name/title, people can call me for what I deserve. Currently, ‘Filial Child’.
C) ALWAYS INTERESTING TIME!

I agree with Chatrapati about not necessarily wanting things to get more complicated every time we roll Interesting Times, but it'd be easier for Nyaa to write good complications if we don't have to pause every time we roll Interesting Times to confirm it.

Anyway, since I technically volunteered to explain some mechanics earlier, I might as well do that. Note that these are the default rules for the RPG and Nyaa could very well change any of them to work better for this format.

Dice Rolling
We have two sets of dice, the River and the Lake. The Lake is the number of d10s we roll, we look for sets of numbers, the number of dice in the set determines the tens place, the number on the dice determines the ones place, we've already been over this. But what if we roll a second set with our Lake? If we do that*, we can take dice from that set and put them into our River. Once a die's in the River, we can add it back into our Lake on a later roll. For example, say we have a 6 in our River and roll 1 4 5 6 6 8. Normally that roll would give us one set of 26, but we can bring that 6 in our River in and have a total of 36. Note that the River automatically drains at the end of each scene, so use it or lose it. In any case, since we're currently a mere student and thus 5th Rank, we have 6 dice in our Lake unless something explicitly changes that and can hold a single die in our River.

*Well, on any roll that has someone rolling against it. Otherwise you'd have people making a bunch of pointless skill checks before fights to fill up their River.

On the subject of things that change the number of dice we roll, it's a good time to mention

Joss
Joss is your luck, plain and simple. Chivalrous Joss comes from accomplishing Chivalrous Virtues and taking Interesting Times on a successful roll and can be spent to give you good luck, Malicious Joss comes from Selfish Virtues and taking Interesting Times on a failed roll and is spent to give your enemies bad luck. These lead to roughly the same place mechanically, but the methods are still different.

Anyway, the three things you can spend Joss on:
-Changing the number of dice in someone's Lake. Spend Chivalrous Joss to increase the number of dice in your Lake by an amount equal to the amount of joss you spend for one turn, spend Malicious Joss to lower the number of dice in the Lake of anyone rolling against you for the next round.
-Have a minor-but-useful coincidence happen. Want a tree to be right next to the window of the house you're trying to break into? Spend some joss.
-Whatever uses for joss you learn from loresheets. For example, a Daoist can spend a point of Chivalrous Joss to make sure someone will give them a meal and a place to stay for the night or a point of Malicious Joss to be able to ignore the ill effects of sleeping outside in the rain on an empty stomach.

In any case, that's all the unnecessary mechanics chat for now. You can now go back to your regularly scheduled CYOA voting.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
BC.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Earned is our name, and let us live in interesting times for school.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

BC. The best wuxia names are earned, and we will live in interesting times and thrive through adversity.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
BA - I'd prefer to have the choice of when to add complications.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Always interesting time win, but I won't offer it if I can't think of something interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event + Interesting Time – School
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first day of class was… Interesting. Your teacher Know Fuu began the course with basic poetry for the class to repeats a few times, and then he hand picks a few students to try reciting the whole poem.

“I am sad the… Umm…Red…” Baba Tong, the name of the bulky boy, is struggling to recite the poem.

Know Fuu shakes his head, “Not even the first sentence. Are you paying attention at all, little Tong?”

“The poem is too hard.” Baba complaints.

Lightly tapping Baba’s head with a rolled up book, Know Fuu said, “Nonsense, the poem of Bai Juyi uses very simple language and it’s particularly accessible for the beginner.” He turns to the oily haired boy, “Why don’t you give it a try, Mr. Li Foil.”

Proudly, Li Foil rise from his seat and sung the poem with emotion and grace.

“I'm saddened by the peonies before the steps, so red,
As evening came I found that only two remained.
Once morning blown away by the wind, surely it won’t survive…”

“That’s incorrect.” Know Fuu said with a smile. “Although your disappointed expression now are quite suitable for the tragic tone of the poem.” He concluded. Then surveying the class, his eyes land on you. “Maybe the Filial Child can recite in a similar tragic tenor?”

You stand up with confident that you have memorized the poem perfectly, but you never recite a poem in public before. Nonetheless, you try your best to recite the poem with feeling and grace.

Inspire: 4 7 6 10 4 7

Result: 24 or 27

I'm saddened by the peonies before the steps, so red,
As evening came I found that only two remained
Once morning's winds have blown, they surely won't survive,
At night I gaze by lamplight, to cherish the fading red.

Your father did his fatherly duty well. You sung the poem with the right emotion and tonal passion. It’s actually your father’s favorite poem that he recites whenever he looks at the blossom orchard flower. It make you sad when you recite it, which empowered the recital to another degree of tragedy.

Know Fuu and the whole classes applause your wonderful performance and effort. The poem touched the heart of everyone in the class… Well, except Li Foil. He looks at you with jealousy and envy.

---------------------------------------------------------

On your way to school the next day, Li and Baba intercepted you halfway toward your destination. Li, using the bull-like might of Baba, demand you to perform less spectacular in class so he will shine more among his peers. Baba picks up two bricks and crushes them together a few times to pulverize them, making a point of the threat.

You…

A) Fight Baba
B) Bribe Baba
C) Treat Li with respect, assuring him that he is the best and you got lucky
D) RUN HOME
E) RUN TO SCHOOL
F) Push them down to the ground
G) Write-in

I decided to only offer choices that matches your virtue (3 points or higher) from now on. Think of it as a high stat dialogue unlock that might or might not be the best choice. Use write-in if you want to do something else.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 30, 2015

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Nyaa posted:

On your way to school the next day, Li and Baba intercepted you halfway toward your destination. Li, using the bull-like might of Baba, demand you to perform less spectacular in class so he will shine more among his peers. Baba picks up two bricks and crushes them together a few times to pulverize them, making a point of the threat.

You…

A) Fight Baba
B) Bribe Baba
C) Treat Li with respect, assuring him that he is the best and you got lucky
D) RUN HOME
E) RUN TO SCHOOL
F) Push them down to the ground
G) Write-in

G: C, but with a twist. Treat Li with respect, compliment Baba on his strength, admit that we learned the poem previously from our father and felt great emotion repeating it so soon after his death. Offer to study with the two of them in future.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

G) Offer to tutor them over a bowl of noodles

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You pussies.

C. But then continue to outshine them. When they realize we're loving with them try and arrange it so Mr. Miagi sees it all so you can get them kicked out of the school.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

A Terrible Person posted:

G: C, but with a twist. Treat Li with respect, compliment Baba on his strength, admit that we learned the poem previously from our father and felt great emotion repeating it so soon after his death. Offer to study with the two of them in future.

This one, lets try and make friends! If it works then we have powerful allies in the future, if it doesnt we have some neat rivals, both make for intresting stories.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

This one

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Bribe Baba with Noodles.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Knock them out with our shovel and bury them up to their necks for daring to intimidate us.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

This.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Bribe Baba with Noodles.

Heh, yeah this

I'm a little sad we didn't get to be a Doctor. How are we supposed to prick someone's Gushing Spring Point now?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm a little sad we didn't get to be a Doctor. How are we supposed to prick someone's Gushing Spring Point now?
One of the class is doctor, or you can pick up doctor's secret art from other class later.

We still have mid and high level job later to choose unless we decide to skip those and step into wulin early.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

G: Perform the A Terrible Person Technique. Transform rivals into allies; we need a big fat strong guy and a sworn brother who may or may not be tragically forced to betray us.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We rolled badly on G/C, wanna spend a jose to roll one more dice or some luck thing?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Nyaa posted:

We rolled badly on G/C, wanna spend a jose to roll one more dice or some luck thing?

Joss exists to be spent. May as well spend it.

Also, since Nyaa mentioned the Doctor, I'll have quick summary of the five Archetypes and their secret arts up later.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

spend it

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Spend it!

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Spend spend spend

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:homebrew:

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

No. Let this develop our legend! :colbert:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I voted for Plan Condescend To The Little Bastards hoping they'd reject it and earn a double helping of righteous beatings.

Spend it immediately on something else. Yee and yikes, they lunge and charge at us, but we jump out of the way! Oh no they fell through a window??? How could that have happened?! ;) Or if that's the realm of Malicious Joss, something more appropriate for Chivalrous Joss, like we run into a grownup who cares.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Spend it immediately on something else. Yee and yikes, they lunge and charge at us, but we jump out of the way! Oh no they fell through a window??? How could that have happened?! ;) Or if that's the realm of Malicious Joss, something more appropriate for Chivalrous Joss, like we run into a grownup who cares.
Both does the same for the latter for making realistic coincident happen. The differences is Malicious Joss reduce anyone who oppose you for that action for one dice per joss while Chivalrous boost you one dice, and some techniques might require certain joss. We could certainly house rule it to cause fortune that reflects the joss' nature. :drac:

Oh, and if you want coincident to happen, the player have to create it.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Lemme rephrase that then. I want to let the current action fail (convincing them that we should be friends) and spend a Joss to add a favorable coincidence to the next one. I want us to be a Mary Sue of a smuglord!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Dice boost still winning, I will leave it up a bit.

Abyssal Squid posted:

and spend a Joss to add a favorable coincidence to the next one. I want us to be a Mary Sue of a smuglord!
Please decides what favorable coincidence you want to happen. Uncle Liu shows up? Baba's dad shows up? A pot hole on a road? An angry cat is nursing its kitten nearby? A cabbage guy is selling cabbage nearby? Unless you want me to surprise* you?

* No guarantee of surprises.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Let's run into Baba' or Li's uncle during DRAMATIC CHASE/FIGHT SCENE.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Xiphopagus posted:

Transform rivals into allies; we need a big fat strong guy and a sworn brother who may or may not be tragically forced to betray us.

The sworn brother also has wealthy parents. Early access to extra spending cash, should we need it.

Also Spend Joss on dice boost.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Let's run into Baba' or Li's uncle during DRAMATIC CHASE/FIGHT SCENE.

This too, if we can do both. Ignore this part of the vote if not.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

This too, if we can do both. Ignore this part of the vote if not.
We can. I will ask again if you want to spend another joss

During or after Combat. :unsmigghh:

Voting closed

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Persuade Li Foil : 2 4 7 5 6 3

Result: 17

Li Foil Resist: 3 1 4 6 1

Result: 21

You try to explain that poem happens to be your father favorite poem and you feel a greater connection that Li Foil. He points a finger at you with ire, “You saying I have a lesser compatibility for poetry than you!?”

“No, no, that’s not what I mean!” You said as you shake your head to denial the accusation.

“Then what do you mean?” Li Foil asks, now calmer.

Spend Joss (Dice Boost): 9

Result: 19

You try to ease the tension and offer a friendly assistance to your fellow classmate. “I mean we all have something we are especially good at. I’m sure you will be as good as me when I tutor you how to narrate the poem.”

Li raises a fist at you, “How dare you compares your beggar intellect with mine! You want to lecture me on a poem!? Not in a million years! Crush him, Baba!”

Baba makes a battle cry, "Roooooar!" And begins charging at you with great momentum.

BEGIN COMBAT

You are far enough to take a minor action before or after he slam into you…
1A) Use skill: Minor things like look around, make a speech, throw something accuracy, catch a falling vase, etc
1B) Shaping: Write-In plan to shape the environment to your advantage. It probably won’t be done until Baba slam into you unless it’s a quick or simple task.
1C) Move to another zone to avoid his attack. (Jump/climb the wall to someone’s property, go downslope, keep running back to delay the attack, etc)
1D) Write-in Minor action
1E) Save your time to better prepare for later actions

Assuming you didn’t escape the clutch of Baba, how will you guard against his bull rush?
2A) Dodge
2B) Block/Deflect

What do you do after his attack?
3A) Disorient: Write-in fluff to debuff your opponent’s certain skill check until he cures it. Ex: Throw sand on his eyes to lower his Awareness.
3B) Disrupt: Write-in fluff to debuff your opponent’s certain combat stat until he cures it. Ex:Try to trip him and make him wary of his Footwork.
3C) Knockback: Force the opponent into another zone
3D) Save your focus for later and attack normally
3E) Retreat, you will be late for school
3F) Surrender, you will promise to do as Li said and suffer a moral penalty if you break it (You could try to sidestep the condition)
3G) Write-in

Note: Disorient/Disrupt/Knockback are part of an attack, so you will be dealing damage while doing those fluffs.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 1, 2015

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1D) Taunt him to make him REALLY angry and careless

Assuming you didn’t escape the clutch of Baba, how will you guard against his bull rush?
2A) Dodge

3B) Disrupt: Once we dodge him we should attempt to trip and push him at the same time.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

2A) Dodge

3B) Disrupt: Once we dodge him we should attempt to trip and push him at the same time.

yup

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1C) Move to the slope

2A) Dodge

3C/E) Force Baba down the slope, so we can continue on to school (spend Joss to boost chance of success)

Baba's a big kid, and big kids are heavy kids. Let him charge at us and when he misses he'll rush past us, and then he'll have to run uphill if he wants to catch up. Trip the guy so he rolls downhill, if it comes to that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

2A) Dodge

This and then 'im in the teef.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

1C) Move to the slope

2A) Dodge

3C/E) Force Baba down the slope, so we can continue on to school (spend Joss to boost chance of success)

Baba's a big kid, and big kids are heavy kids. Let him charge at us and when he misses he'll rush past us, and then he'll have to run uphill if he wants to catch up. Trip the guy so he rolls downhill, if it comes to that.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Abyssal Squid posted:

1C) Move to the slope

2A) Dodge

This, but with more of a focus on the shoving down the slope than the running.

Anyway, I've put this off long enough.

Archetypes
The Archetype you choose at character creation determines two things: what skill you use to recover chi, and what Secret Arts you start with for free. Chi recovery isn't really important right now, so let's put that aside. Secret Arts, however, are the main way characters in LotW cause ongoing effects. Specifically, they cause Hyperactivities (you get a bonus when you act like X) and Weaknesses (you take a penalty when you don't act like X). There's more to it than that, but there's no reason to go in-depth about stuff like paired conditions and elemental associations this early.

In any case, here are the archetypes.

Warriors know fighting and are the most common archetype for obvious reasons. Their Secret Art is the simplest one here, but don't think that that makes them weak. They can train in a combat style, which then gives them a Hyperactivity tied to fighting in that combat style for at least the rest of the chapter. Warriors can learn how to do things like copy an enemy's combat style along with the Hyperactivity they get from it, but overall the Warrior's main strength is having a strong, reliable bonus they can always rely on.

Priests know the esoteric nature of chi and know the art of Daoist sorcery, even though they aren't necessarily Daoist themselves. Their Secret Art is concerned with curses and influences. Curses and influences are external representations of the inner turmoils represented by the passions and inspirations that Courtiers deal in. For example, the Phoenix Maiden has a hateful Passion towards the man who killed her father. A Priest can use that passion to place a curse on the man who killed her father, and so that curse will fade when Maiden's anger towards him fades. I don't need to sell any of you on how interesting cursing people could be, do I?

Courtiers know people and how to manipulate them. As I mentioned earlier, their Secret Art is primarily concerned with passions and inspirations. Passions are springs of emotion; joy, anger, grief. Inspirations guide you towards acting with principles; towards persevering despite the odds, or towards caring about others. Courtiers can learn to inflame passions, to redirect passions towards more useful ends, to inspire their defeated foes towards more proper courses of action and far more besides.

Scholars know everything, and how to apply that knowledge to predict what will happen. Their Secret Art is the only one that can never be used in combat, and for good reason. Scholars are the Archetype that can look at a crime scene and say with certainty that the thief will return to the scene of the crime tonight, that can look at a battlefield and say that General Wei is too proud to attack his foe's flank and is thus doomed to lose this battle. They can say this because their predictions are a condition placed on the world itself, and the weight of that prediction will remain until is changed so greatly that the prediction can't apply. I'm a fan of Scholars, if you couldn't tell.

Doctors know the human body and what makes it tick. As you could probably guess, their Secret Art deals with chi imbalances and the means in which you soothe or inflame them. Want to correct the chi imbalance giving your companion a hacking cough? A Doctor can do that. Want to hit your enemy in their Gushing Spring Point and halt the flow of their chi? A Doctor can do that too, and far more.

Of course, there's far more to all of these arts than what I've mentioned here, but this post is just a hint at what's to come. Going into full detail would just be overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

DAB: 3
CAE: 3

Both suggestions are close enough; I will mix them up into two turns.

------------------------------------

You steps closer to the middle of the road as you taunt Baba into carelessness. “What is that pitiful battle cry? Did you learn it from a mouse?”

“I WILL MAKE YOU CRY WHEN I BREAK YOU!” Baba screamed with extra adrenaline and doubles his charging rush to crush at you. This looks like it would hurt more if it hits, but his footwork are more frantic than before.

Blocking this would certainly be a bad idea now, so you jump out of the way in the last three seconds before he hits you with tremendous force that you do not wish to ever experience.

Interesting Time

Your sudden dodge certainly saved you from a few weeks worth of physical agony, but your late timing to your jump leave your leg expose in the path of the charging Baba, and he trip over it. The next few moments are quite surreal as you watch the heavy mass of boulder flies.

---------------------------------

A little down the road, an elderly merchant dressed in green parked his cart at the side of the road. It is part of his daily routine role as a cabbage merchant to purchase fresh cabbage from the local cabbage farm to sell for profits on the market. Unlike other cabbages merchant, he takes pride in selecting the best quality cabbages in the farm to be part of his stock. It took a bit more of time to hand picks it slowly, but the efforts are worth the trouble as his customers are always satisfied with his cabbage.

Fortunately, the cabbage on the farm today are higher quality than ever, so this merchant manages to finish filling his stock in half the time! Surely, today will be a propitious day in the market.

The he sees it. A giant lump of… meat? Is flying at high speed like a bird, no, more like a eagle toward his cart.

Baba crush into it and half destroyed the cart filled with cabbage.

“MY CABBAGES!” The old man cries and exclaim in disbelieve.

----------------------------------

You look at the scene with amusement and sympathy for the old merchant. Maybe you will pay a third of the damage later? Anyway, Baba stood back up, now covered with cabbages. He charge back to you, but stop short at a distance. This time, he approaches you slowly with extended hand to grab you. “You will pay for that.” He said. “And I don’t mean the cabbage!”

Taking liberty of the abundant time, you manage to move to the edge of the slope. This is where you stand. You lock arms with Baba who is half as big as you, intending to push him down the slope.

Baba: 4 6 4 8 9
Result: 24

You: 2 5 4 1 4 4
Result: 34

As a child who have been working part-time after school, punching dough and running around for errands help build your strength and stamina. You would normally be a equal to Baba in strength. However, as you took in each breath. Extra strength surge from within, and with every little of those strengths, you take a step forward and force Baba to take a step backward.

Forward, backward, forward, backward. You two repeat this rhythm for a few moments until…

Baba lost his footing at the sudden downward slope and he falls to your satisfaction.

The hulky mass of meat he harbors has done him no advantage as his falls down the slope helplessly like a baby getting dropped down a cliff. His tumbles and bounces truly lives up to the shape that his body parallels, a boulder.

Finally, the boulder crushed into the cabbage farm below with a farmer exclaim in shock, “MY CABBAGES!”

You have some time until Baba recovers, what do you plan to do?
A) Wait for Baba to return
C) Go to school
D) Talk to Li with intimidation
E) Talk to Li with respect
F) Fight Li
G) Shout to Baba with insult
H) Shout to Baba with respect(?)
I) Go down and continue your fight with Baba
J) Go down and be respectful to Baba
K) Go down and intimidate Baba
L) Talk to the Cabbage merchant
M) Write-in