Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
.12.5 is out: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-101

Also, I got a bug fixed in this round: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Quite a screed in the update.

In fcatorio news: holy cow does Bob's mod complicate getting started. About 4 hours in and green science is only mostly automated. I say mostly because you need oil to fully automate green science and I don't have oil yet so I'm making do with a chest full of wood feeding the circuit board assembler until I can get synthetic wood from oil.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
This was recorded a few minutes ago, perhaps this problem is fixed there although I don't see it in the changelog.

OK so here's the ~30 second vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ss5t5Go-4c Mute the sound, forgot to do that while recording.

Two problems, occasionally the stone furnace makes iron plate instead of copper plate resulting in my research coming to a halt. And why can't I place the splitter?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Lorini posted:

This was recorded a few minutes ago, perhaps this problem is fixed there although I don't see it in the changelog.

OK so here's the ~30 second vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ss5t5Go-4c Mute the sound, forgot to do that while recording.

Two problems, occasionally the stone furnace makes iron plate instead of copper plate resulting in my research coming to a halt. And why can't I place the splitter?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Mining drills collect resourses from their footprint +1 square all the way around them. There's an iron patch to the top right of your bottom drill and its getting the iron from that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The first is the miner has in it's range a deposit of iron ore (it's 5x5, one space out from the actual building), so it'll occasionally mine that up and deposit in your furnace.
The second is you need to first take out a belt before placing the splitter.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
lol (bolding mine)

quote:

The way to slavery

I wanted to avoid politics in this blog, but as this is relevant to computer games I had to proceed.

There is a report of the EU called Creative Europe - Media. It states that they basically took 3.2 million euro (stolen from other people through taxes), and they just gave the money to certain game companies of their choice.

Just stop for a while and think what does it mean.
They took money from a small studio like us, and they just gave it to some big game studio (CD Project) to support the creation of DLC for their franchise Witcher 3.
From what I have read, they mainly wanted to support games with a lot of story telling. This means, that they think, that they know what is best for us better than we do. They decide for us what kind of game should we play, what movies are worthy, what art is worth support. They decide what kind of food should be supported and what kind shouldn't be. They put quotas of production because they know better how much is enough. The list goes on, and it is all getting worse every year and if we let it go like this for another 20 years, we are all going to be just slaves.
I would like to state, that Wube software never took this kind of dirty money, and we are certainly not planning to do so in the future.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

The first is the miner has in it's range a deposit of iron ore (it's 5x5, one space out from the actual building), so it'll occasionally mine that up and deposit in your furnace.
The second is you need to first take out a belt before placing the splitter.

Thanks all!!! Didn't know about the 5xt thing, I'll fix it. I knew I was missing something with that splitter!!!

P.S. and thanks Windows 10 for making recording so simple!!!!! Love it!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also holy poo poo this dev should not have blurted that out in the blog. He's so drat ignorant of what taxes are and what the grant was about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samopsa posted:

lol (bolding mine)

:wtc:

On reflection, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the author of a game about single-handedly bootstrapping your way from being a dude with a pickaxe to Tony Stark, Captain of Industry is a libertarian anti-tax whackjob.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It might be specifically an EU thing, mind. Euroskepticism is sadly popular all over the continent. It's all to easy to only see the EU doing anything when it's arbitrary or restrictive, since those are the only things that get talked about. Well, that and immigration.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

It might be specifically an EU thing, mind. Euroskepticism is sadly popular all over the continent. It's all to easy to only see the EU doing anything when it's arbitrary or restrictive, since those are the only things that get talked about. Well, that and immigration.

"Taxes are theft/slavery" is a pretty common refrain in US politics too (see, for example, the Tea Party). Up here (:canada:) it mostly seems restricted to the occasional Sovereign Citizen/Freeman-on-the-Land nutjob, AFAICT.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Also holy poo poo this dev should not have blurted that out in the blog. He's so drat ignorant of what taxes are and what the grant was about.

I'm not from the Eurozone so this is the first I've heard about it. What is the tax about?

ToxicFrog posted:

:wtc:

On reflection, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the author of a game about single-handedly bootstrapping your way from being a dude with a pickaxe to Tony Stark, Captain of Industry is a libertarian anti-tax whackjob.

It is wildly excessive but given the direct connection to his work, livelihood, and passion I can understand that. I don't think he's necessarily an anti-tax whackjob, the screed is targeting a specific expense. Most folks hate way more than just one of the ways tax dollars are spent, he could be just fine with most government spending. A popular complaint is the millions my government spent studying the social patterns of pigeons.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

3.2 million euros is kind of a hilariously small amount of money to be mad about the government spending, that's not even enough to piss it away to Accenture in some lovely IT project that ends up terribly.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

LLSix posted:

I'm not from the Eurozone so this is the first I've heard about it. What is the tax about?

It is wildly excessive but given the direct connection to his work, livelihood, and passion I can understand that. I don't think he's necessarily an anti-tax whackjob, the screed is targeting a specific expense. Most folks hate way more than just one of the ways tax dollars are spent, he could be just fine with most government spending. A popular complaint is the millions my government spent studying the social patterns of pigeons.

He just thinks that it's unfair that the taxes they pay as a small company are subsidising the work of a much larger company, and in his frustration seems to be piling up false assertions about it, maybe to try to rationalise the anger/frustration, there are some things about it that are lovely but for the most part he's just gone on an inappropriate public rant.

The truth of the matter is that there are a bunch of subsidies for various types of media that companies can apply for, and they're assessed based on meeting various criteria.

There are some legitimate gripes to be had about how it is handled, the main thing he's grumpy about is the exclusion of games that aren't telling a story and then there's a time exemption, which would exclude the deluge of lovely and perpetually-"early access" pure-sandbox games that have cropped up in recent years from applying, the game is supposed to "release" within 30 months of applying, just the former would exclude factorio, but the latter could also(though apparently they plan to release next year?).

And take, for example, this part of the eligibility section of the subsidy/grant info:

quote:

The contribution is between EUR 10.000 and EUR 150.000 for the concept and project
development of a video game (activities to the point that the concept leads to a playable prototype
or trial version).

Personally I'd take that to mean that the intention of the subsidy is to help fund new games and get them to the point where you have a proper proof of concept that you can pitch to a publisher or the public(early access, kickstarter, etc), or to otherwise fund what we could consider to be the base-game rather than follow-up content for games that have already been released.

Also the amount of money they're talking about there is pretty significant, they'll cover up-to €150k or %50(whichever is less) of a game's estimated budget, for the factorio guys this would have been a pretty huge chunk of income, remember they started the funding for the game back in 2012 on an indiegogo campaign where they asked for €17k(and got €21).
That 150k is more than 10% of factorio's lifetime sales income(still under 100k total sales), versus being 7% of the budget for an expansion of a game that sold 6million copies in 6 weeks.

I can see why he would be salty about that, using their weekly update section to go on a public rant is dumb and embarrassing though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Here's a mod I wanted so bad in my last game, and it looks like the devs had the same idea because they added the neccessary hooks for it in 12.5: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=15308

Autolaunch your rockets. So simple, so amazing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LLSix posted:

"Stolen from other people through taxes"
"They decide what kind of food should be supported and what kind shouldn't be. They put quotas of production because they know better how much is enough. The list goes on, and it is all getting worse every year and if we let it go like this for another 20 years, we are all going to be just slaves."

The game grants may have been the trigger for this, but that sounds less like "targeting a specific expense" and a lot more like the usual "taxes are theft, government regulation is slavery" rhetoric. Although it's possible that I'm reading too much into it after spending too long in the USPol thread.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

And all that while they're one Steam-listing away from being filthy rich.

I guess the attitude comes early.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The government paying for games (other than the military games the pentagon paid to have developed) in the US would be a disaster. Ted Cruz and his buddies would threaten to shut down the government unless only games based on his interpretation of the Bible were funded.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Playing Devil's Advocate here but maybe English isn't the guy's first language and he doesn't realize how ridiculous and hyperbolic "if this continues in 20 years we will all be slaves" sounds in English? If not he needs to run for President against Trump, he'd fit right in over here.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Network Pesci posted:

Playing Devil's Advocate here but maybe English isn't the guy's first language and he doesn't realize how ridiculous and hyperbolic "if this continues in 20 years we will all be slaves" sounds in English? If not he needs to run for President against Trump, he'd fit right in over here.

I read that blog on the bus home yesterday and while the hyperbole is pretty high, I'll cut him some slack and just ignore it I think. Being Czech (though who knows how old) he may well have more experience of heavy handed monolithic governmental apparatus than many of us. I wouldn't be surprised if people in the ex-russian pawn states were extremely sensitive to 'big government' type moves in general and eyeing off the EU with suspicion.

On a more factorio note: the update broke a couple of mods I was using but they're fixed already (I'm trying out treefarm and crafted artifacts - no aliens).

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Lorini posted:

The government paying for games (other than the military games the pentagon paid to have developed) in the US would be a disaster. Ted Cruz and his buddies would threaten to shut down the government unless only games based on his interpretation of the Bible were funded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bailed on my Bob's mod game after getting red circuit equivalents up. I like all the new end products, but there are so many intermediate steps that scaling production up is a nightmare. I think it would be a lot better with maybe half as many base materials and intermediates.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I was clearly talking Fed and that state got what it deserved. That won't happen again.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if there are specific video game grants, but there are countless tax breaks for video game companies at every level from the city up to the Federal level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/technology/rich-tax-breaks-bolster-video-game-makers.html

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LLSix posted:

Bailed on my Bob's mod game after getting red circuit equivalents up. I like all the new end products, but there are so many intermediate steps that scaling production up is a nightmare. I think it would be a lot better with maybe half as many base materials and intermediates.
yeah; I wanted to like bob's mod but it was just too many pointless, tedious steps.

The game's progression is kind of weird to me in general - once you get to green science packs, there's a ton of things to research but not a whole lot you can build until you can actually get the blue packs / oil production up.

Maybe it's just the way I progress? I mean my path is generally

burner miners into smelters -> 14/10 steam power -> Temp Red Packs -> mining drills into 8x2 row of iron, copper smelters -> 4 steel smelters -> Bus creation -> Steel furnace upgrade -> Red + Green Packs from bus -> aux factories (red belts, gears, green circuits, pipes) -> AP ammo -> A million oil/fluid researches while I clear out nearby biter nests

But then it sort of devolves into "well i need an entire oil production setup to do anything else, it seems like the things that open up with "just" green packs require higher tier things to make, like batteries, red circuits, and I feel like once you get oil you might as well just get blue packs because then you can get bots and solar power and advanced oil processing.

I end up sitting for quite a while with nothing to research because I'm trying to get the million different factories and assembly lines up all at the same time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, same for me. I'll research basic oil processing and then build a temp refinery to generate enough resources to get my 75 blue science to research advanced oil processing and then I'll get my real refinery but then all of a sudden I'm making this leapfrog from belting everything up to red and green science to suddenly building robots to feed blue science and it does seem like kind of a weird jump.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's the part I just burn out on. All of a sudden everything has a million dependencies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

I end up sitting for quite a while with nothing to research because I'm trying to get the million different factories and assembly lines up all at the same time.

I usually waste this time by researching *everything possible* that doesn't require blue science.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Truga posted:

I usually waste this time by researching *everything possible* that doesn't require blue science.

At that point, I end up with so much crap I've researched that I can now build that it's overwhelming. The expansion curve is just weird.

Maybe if things took longer to research.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just spend so much time stopping and thinking, especially since every time I play I'm trying to do something different. Which is interesting when a lot of my designs are on autopilot. I have a pretty standard refinery setup (made even easier with blueprint strings) where the oil is refined and then batteries, plastics, solid fuel, and anything needing lubricant is all made. But this time I'm trying to go all trains all the time to an even more extreme. So I have a station with the oil refineries, and then auto pilot took me to producing batteries and plastics there, but is that actually something I want, or should I split it up more? A few requirements for a design, I'm thinking:
  • Heavy Oil and Lubricant are linked (only crack heavy oil when there's enough lubricant)
  • Light Oil and solid fuel are linked (only crack light oil when there's enough solid fuel)
  • Heavy, Light, and Petroleum are linked because they crack into each other
  • Should I ship Sulfur or Sulfuric Acid?
  • There's also the issue of tracking these items across a vast geographic distance

So I'm thinking, the refinery complex is just for refining the oil, and it should output Heavy Oil, Light Oil, and Petroleum. There will be a Heavy Oil station that would take Heavy Oil and output Lubricant and Light Oil, a Light Oil station that will output solid fuel (used only for the rocket) and petroleum, and a Petroleum station that outputs plastics and either sulfur or sulfuric acid. Then a station that takes either Sulfur or Sulfiric Acid and outputs Batteries and Advanced Circuits.

I've got a pretty interesting situation on this map, my starting area is a large island with a small link to the "main land." It had enough resources to get me started with a small starter bus, but there's not much room for railways, and I'm using RSO so things are far away, so I have to figure out how to just build a new factory from scratch using advanced technology, rather than building organically from the start.

Map Seed: 2912979974

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

• Heavy Oil and Lubricant are linked (only crack heavy oil when there's enough lubricant)
  • Light Oil and solid fuel are linked (only crack light oil when there's enough solid fuel)
  • Heavy, Light, and Petroleum are linked because they crack into each other
  • Should I ship Sulfur or Sulfuric Acid?
  • There's also the issue of tracking these items across a vast geographic distance

Map Seed: 2912979974
I'm going to save that map seed, I like that map.

As for your concerns, I have a few recommendations.

First, your concern for shipping oils. While you CAN use lots of underground pipes (as a quirk, the fluids teleport to the other end of the pipe instead of having a tracked underground bit hidden away), at RSO distances it's probably not worth it. The way I see it, you can either just ship oil barrels from all of your distant pumpjacks, or their products. The only products worth shipping though are Solid Fuel (for dedicated Solid Fuel refineries, crack the Heavy Oil to Light Oil) and maaaaybe Sulfur but Sulfuric acid is super easy to make from Petroleum anyway. Everything else just uses so much of other materials that you're better off shipping the oil to your main factory and going from there.

If you go with shipping Oil Barrels, just make enough barrels to fill your train about twice over. Don't do what I do and waste a ton of steel from an automated factory and forgetting how long I had it running. I couldn't unload my empty barrels at the refinery because I made so many empty barrels there sitting in line already.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I should add I'm using the Rail Tanker mod so shipping liquids is pretty easy. But the more I think about it, the more I think it would be easier to just ship in coal, iron plate, and copper plate to make batteries and plastics, and... I don't know about the rest but I'll worry about that later. Right now I just need more batteries for my research, as the oil in my home base is all gone.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I should add I'm using the Rail Tanker mod so shipping liquids is pretty easy. But the more I think about it, the more I think it would be easier to just ship in coal, iron plate, and copper plate to make batteries and plastics, and... I don't know about the rest but I'll worry about that later. Right now I just need more batteries for my research, as the oil in my home base is all gone.

You can also use Speed Modules and those AoE Module Buildings (name I can't remember) to get more oil from dried up wells. It will eat the poo poo out of your power supply, but it'll help.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Krysmphoenix posted:

You can also use Speed Modules and those AoE Module Buildings (name I can't remember) to get more oil from dried up wells. It will eat the poo poo out of your power supply, but it'll help.

Put it all on separate solar panels, and it will only run during the night, but be free. The beacons that is.

Be "free" as in, the boost will only be active during the day, when I assume you have thousands of solar panels to run your stuff.

Also, production module before the oil well dries up, speed module once it's empty.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, same for me. I'll research basic oil processing and then build a temp refinery to generate enough resources to get my 75 blue science to research advanced oil processing and then I'll get my real refinery but then all of a sudden I'm making this leapfrog from belting everything up to red and green science to suddenly building robots to feed blue science and it does seem like kind of a weird jump.

I agree, the step up from pack 2 to pack 3 is pretty hefty. You go from trivial 1, easy-ish 2 and the WTF 3? The game also has way too much that requires electric circuits too, it's easily the biggest part of my late factories. I hope some balance passes happen before too long.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I just tried using red wire to make smart connections.

:holy:

Factories that I can set up to make limited runs so that I'm not using all of my materials to make water pumps and gun turrets? Yes please!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

You can also limit chest size to make a really simple limiter, without smart inserters or wires. Just hit the red X on the chest screen and limit it to one or two stacks, all inserters won't insert past that point. Great for early game or just being lazy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

You can also limit chest size to make a really simple limiter, without smart inserters or wires. Just hit the red X on the chest screen and limit it to one or two stacks, all inserters won't insert past that point. Great for early game or just being lazy.

:tviv:

How did I not know about this?!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I have real trouble ever deconstructing my initial factory, I'll just build a second one instead with the plan of eventually destroying the first one, but strangely the scope and scale of the second factory keeps growing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not like you ever need to remove the initial factory. Space isn't exactly at a premium, unless it's occupying an important tactical position or something. Just leave it as a relic. Pave the world. Nuke the whales.