Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Anyway, I think we rational people should avoid getting baited by placebophiles by assuming the burden of proof for their psuedoscientific claims. If you claim your $10K HDMI makes a difference to whatever quality its your job to back it up with conclusive scientific evidence, not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
That's a good thought but you know their evidence is that they hear a difference.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

That's a good thought but you know their evidence is that they hear a difference.

Yeah, and they reject the idea that any kind of scientific evidence can give you the whole picture. The only response unless you like tilting at windmills is "hahaha you believe in magic and fairies" and walking away.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
You could write this too:

http://www.johnmorrish.com/wordpress/the-mystic-world-of-hi-fi-circa-1994/

So much in there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
We recently moved our surface profiler to another lab. It is a piece of equipment that is somewhat similar to a record player. It normally rests on a big granite plate in order to reduce vibrations.

Operating it without the granite increased vibrations measurably, of course.
But the increase in vibrations was less then what we get when we turn on some music in the lab. We normally don't need that much accuracy. So as long as there is some music playing the granite plate is pretty much useless.

So to sum up:
If you are thinking about buying a granite plate, instead you should move your record player to a different, quieter room. :science: Or you could just not play any sounds in order to preserve the perfect hifi environment.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I need a recommendation for a cheap dac for listening to spotify music and online radio. Something I can leave at my office desk.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Boiled Water posted:

I need a recommendation for a cheap dac for listening to spotify music and online radio. Something I can leave at my office desk.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-dac2-hgc-digital-to-analog-audio-converter

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
In all seriousness, the Fiio D3 is all you need. $30 on amazon

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BANME.sh posted:

In all seriousness, the Fiio D3 is all you need. $30 on amazon

If you have Toslink or SPDIF available, and don't need to plug in headphones.

The E7 (or E9?) is a better choice for USB and headphones.

I'm very happy with my O2+ODAC, but it's more expensive.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

tonberrytoby posted:

granite plate is pretty much useless.

In industrial manufacturing, they will sometimes place equipment on isolated concrete pads with their own foundation separate from the rest of the building. Maybe that could be a thing for audiophiles.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

taqueso posted:

In industrial manufacturing, they will sometimes place equipment on isolated concrete pads with their own foundation separate from the rest of the building. Maybe that could be a thing for audiophiles.

Well, if you're building a high end listening room you might use floating floors.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Belt brought more products, which are still in use all around Hughes’s system, indeed, all over his flat. The various reflective sticky foils are widely used on the labels of CDs and discs and on their sleeves. Coloured “magnadiscs”, less than half an inch across and made of a similar sticky plastic material, are also liberally dotted around: it’s a shock to realise they cost £8 + VAT each. There are various crocodile clips and lengths of wire, some carefully tied in a double reef-knot. The water pipes leading into the flat have been treated with some kind of device to remove an “adverse charge”. Around the room sit bottles of charged water. Outside, near the doorway, and across the street on a facing wall, are a pair of “limpets”, sealed assemblies of metal and wire.

Underneath the feet of the equipment sit a series of film discs, some inscribed with the words HUGHES O.K. and some numbers. At one point in my demonstration, Hughes took a mauve felt pen and marked four lines on the edge of a CD, at North, South, East and West. This did not surprise me, the painting of the CD edge green being a common tweak. But what came next was rather odd: each time he’d drawn the line, he tapped the disk with each end of the pen. This, apparently, was to “energise” it.

One of the things he censored was Belt’s insistence that if you take one shoe off your system will sound worse. That was just one of a series of no-cost additions to the basic treatment. Memorably, Belt went on Loose Ends to adjust Robert Elms’s system, which he did by removing a stack of CDs from on top of one of the speakers and placing a sheet of blank paper between the pages of various books in Elms’s living room. Elms, naturally, chortled with delight and excitement. The point was, said Belt, that books have even numbers of pages. The extra sheet made that an odd number, and that “flips the charge the other way”.

And people wonder how and why our ancestors could believe in magic and witchcraft in ye olden times...

Decius fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 22, 2015

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

taqueso posted:

For large equipment like a real mill is probably true. But for gear with small heads like a record player, a surface profiler or even a substrate mill your music will overpower the foundation based vibration.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tonberrytoby posted:

For large equipment like a real mill is probably true. But for gear with small heads like a record player, a surface profiler or even a substrate mill your music will overpower the foundation based vibration.

I figure something like the drop forge hammer in this video probably needs a separate foundation as well, but that's probably more an issue of not destroying everything else around it.

Probably one of the most :black101: videos you'll see today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auiq3IcmtLk

There's also this, which is less dramatic, but an amazing demonstration of the power of hydraulics, when you see how easily it shapes the metal. Also totally worth it for the godlike skills of the operators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ImAm1WhcY

Sorry, I just love big forging machinery.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 22, 2015

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

taqueso posted:

Ultra high-end home theaters will do this, but it's more for sound isolation than anything else.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The comments on that article are even more :psyboom:

quote:

...The thing that all critics of his have in common is this: they have done very little to ZERO research on the principles or products involved....

...I call such people “armchair scientists”...

Pot. Kettle. Black.

quote:

...Another major factor involved is that people don’t like to be “proven” wrong about their beliefs. So if you go in thinking this is utter bollocks, chances are good you will conclude the same after the test.....

See above.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bigman.50grand posted:

The comments on that article are even more :psyboom:

Pot. Kettle. Black.

quote:

It certainly is easy to claim a phenomenon is bogus, when you have not researched it extensively ( as I have), or do not even have the wherewithal to study this sort of phenomenon. Its just as easy to claim there’s no other planet than earth, when you’ve never peered through a telescope, or know how to use one.

Dat strawman. :lol: Hopefully he is not a lawyer IRL.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

I figure something like the drop forge hammer in this video probably needs a separate foundation as well, but that's probably more an issue of not destroying everything else around it.

Probably one of the most :black101: videos you'll see today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auiq3IcmtLk

There's also this, which is less dramatic, but an amazing demonstration of the power of hydraulics, when you see how easily it shapes the metal. Also totally worth it for the godlike skills of the operators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ImAm1WhcY

Sorry, I just love big forging machinery.

How have we not seen one of these monsters used to kill someone in some ridiculous action film?????????????????????????????

That first machine is just so fluid and smooth in the way it rains death from above.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, there was the slow crusher at the end of the first Terminator film, but I agree it would have been much cooler with a drop hammer going *THUNK THUNK THUNK*

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
:haw:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My new subwoofer enclosure is almost complete, yesss

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Thanks to your avatar, the first thing I thought of was Gerald Bull

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

weird-contraption-to-feed-sausage-to-yellow-lipped-giant.pcx

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I've seen that somewhere

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Got a pioneer vsx-523-k surround sound system.
Subwoofer not working... Works in test mode but when actually playing music the sub is not working? Any ideas? Got the manual but can't figure it out. Sorry if this is wrong forum.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

what the gently caress posted:

Got a pioneer vsx-523-k surround sound system.
Subwoofer not working... Works in test mode but when actually playing music the sub is not working? Any ideas? Got the manual but can't figure it out. Sorry if this is wrong forum.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259

But check page 26 "listening to surround sound", the paragraph in the middle: it depends on your speaker settings.

Speaker settings page 30 "manual speaker setup": you can either force the subwoofer on by setting it to PLUS, or just set your left/right/center speakers to SMALL, which will redirect the bass fequencies rather than just duplicate them (probably preferable, but just try both to see what you like best).

Manual I used (in case there are different versions): http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/146589_en.pdf

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt probably has it right on the money, bit just to clarify what's happening: if you set your speakers to large, all the frequencies get sent there and the sub only gets the LFE channel (only present on surround sound content). If you set your speakers to small, the receiver uses the crossover frequency to determine what sounds get sent to the sub vs the speakers. Most systems also have a "double bass" mode that sends lower frequencies to both.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

We recently moved our surface profiler to another lab. It is a piece of equipment that is somewhat similar to a record player. It normally rests on a big granite plate in order to reduce vibrations.

Operating it without the granite increased vibrations measurably, of course.
But the increase in vibrations was less then what we get when we turn on some music in the lab. We normally don't need that much accuracy. So as long as there is some music playing the granite plate is pretty much useless.

So to sum up:
If you are thinking about buying a granite plate, instead you should move your record player to a different, quieter room. :science: Or you could just not play any sounds in order to preserve the perfect hifi environment.
Searched for "record feedback" and found this
http://www.discogs.com/group/thread/629294

quote:

Running a numark ttx, I am forced to keep my volume very low, for once the sound from the speakers reaches a certain level the needle begins to transmit a deep and growing bass thru the speakers and if left alone eventually drowns out the music entirely. on my right side is a tech 12 without the slightest problem. Im guessing this numark is a piece of jucnk?

quote:

don't put your speakers on the same surface as the turntable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pioneers have a setting called "Plus" for the subwoofer that sends LFE + low frequency

Do you have a sub Yes, No, or Plus

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ugh, :what: Hifi just gave 5 stars to a $70 power strip

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
People still take WhatHiFi "reviews" seriously?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grack posted:

People still take WhatHiFi "reviews" seriously?

I hope not.

http://wathifi.com/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Ugh, :what: Hifi just gave 5 stars to a $70 power strip

I like how there's a window so you can see all the internal components.

Surprised they didn't go with a black PCB, though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

That line between parody and genuine advertising seems to have completely slipped away

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is one hell of a wonky face :shepface:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

I like how there's a window so you can see all the internal components.

Surprised they didn't go with a black PCB, though.

That'll be on the $350 version.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Khablam posted:

That line between parody and genuine advertising seems to have completely slipped away

"Because I am like, so high, man you don't even understand. Like, so high. Oh poo poo I got the munchies gotta go"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the entire premise of high res audio is being able to hear differences that science says are unperceptable

the main fault with that ad is they used a douchey 30s bro instead of a 60-year-old, that would match the audiophile demographic better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why are audio related Kickstarters always wild successes?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/311770269/aqua-worlds-lightest-headphone-amplifier

Having a DAC away from the transceivers sounds like a nice idea, but as usual, this one is caked in audiophoolery.