Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh hey, that would work... you're thinking there would be a single singleton/library class that actually contained all the logic, and I'd be handing the item pointers to that?

Sure, or you could split it up so that e.g. all of the healing items go in one class, all of the combat buffs in another, etc. As long as they're static public functions (or whatever the equivalent is in whatever language you're using) you should be able to refer to them from anywhere. You'll need some entity somewhere to do dispatch (since presumably you'll need to map the strings in your data files to the functions you need to call), but that entity doesn't need to be locked down to only using a single class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh hey, that would work... you're thinking there would be a single singleton/library class that actually contained all the logic, and I'd be handing the item pointers to that?

It depends on the rest of your data structures. What language are we talking about?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

It depends on the rest of your data structures. What language are we talking about?

C++ in UE4. Unreal encourages you to make your stuff aggressively component-driven, and would usually handle this sort of thing by making the item an object or a object component and stapling everything onto a common parent, but I'm trying to keep everything centralized through the item's struct if possible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assumed the reason he's miffed is because they guy says it's a good game, but still gives it a negative review for some reason.

It'd annoy the heck out of me as well, because it's apparently an undeserved blemish on his otherwise 100%* positive game. This isn't just some guy saying the game is dumb or some other negative criticism, that would be ok. This person said it's a "lovely" and "beautiful" game that he "liked a lot", but it's still a negative review for seemingly no reason at all.

edit: nearly 100% positive*

edit two:

This is also correct.

Unormal very selectively quoted the review. Mainly the text of the review said that he doesn't recommend it to casual players at this time because it is still being developed and updates sometimes break savegames, and that the game itself is quite hardcore in terms of difficulty.

quote:

... However, it is not quite ready for a consumer audience and is quirky enough that it would turn a lot of people off. I'm writing this "negative" review so that you can understand its shortcomings before buying it.

Caves of Qud is actively in development, with all that entails. By "development" I do not mean "polish". There are almost daily updates which sometimes break old savegames. Mob combat AI is still getting major improvements, items are still being added, large balance changes are made regularly. The main quest is not finished, some major locations (the kind you can see from the world map) are not finished, and some of the few named unique NPCs have no dialogue.

This is a true early access game, not a beta...

... Input is keyboard-only. The default keybinds for laptop are both horrible and incomprehensible. Permadeath is on by default and the disable-permadeath option is somewhat cryptically hidden. Many enemies can and will destroy you even in starter zones and a "fair fight" is a myth. You will not always get warnings when steering your character towards certain death. You will have absurd runs of bad luck that are not your fault and you will die of them. ...

This game, overall, has a high barrier to entry.

This seems like a full and frank listing of the reasons why someone would not want to buy his game at this time.

If Unormal wants the negative review to be the *other one*, well...

4 hours on record posted:

Unlike other fine roguelikes like Dwarf Fortress this one is underwhelming. I have tried a lot of impossible missions so far but there were always some incentive to move forward. A good example might be FTL where you always find a new weapon or a crew member and the difficulty is progressive. In this one you just die and die again and after that...you die. Dark Souls can hide in the shadow of COQ and honestly it adds nothing but grinding and difficulty. So this is a big NO for ma and I don't suggest to ANYONE to buy it. I should have spent my euros elsewhere. :(

Go ahead, I guess.

EDIT: I'd suggest that Unormal should count his blessings that his negative review involves someone who listed also the positives of his game, explained to *whom* it isn't recommended, and has actually played a decent chunk of his game.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 31, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assumed the reason he's miffed is because they guy says it's a good game, but still gives it a negative review for some reason.

Yeah but it is still hella unprofessional to selectively quote a negative review and cry about it in a public forum.

It's fine to be miffed, it's childish to whine about it publicly.

These are the sorts of things you discuss over lunch beers with your colleagues, not whine about on the publicly accessible internet.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Jeez, you guys. Streak-breaking is always a bummer, no need to flip out about it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry that I offended you guys by posting an image of a loser. I can't imagine how this would relate to you but I certainly didn't mean it as a personal attack. Any resemblance to the actual posters in this thread was pure coincidence and I apologize for those of you whose feelings I've inadvertently hurt.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unormal posted:

I'm sorry that I offended you guys by posting an image of a loser. I can't imagine how this would relate to you but I certainly didn't mean it as a personal attack. Any resemblance to the actual posters in this thread was pure coincidence and I apologize for those of you whose feelings I've inadvertently hurt.

No one is offended. People just think you should chill out, dude.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
When you read the whole review and not just the parts you selectively picked it's actually very reasonable, and I say this as someone who likes Qud. Please don't call him a loser for that.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Read what I actually said in this thread not the words the guys with awful reading comprehension are putting into my mouth.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Right, these words.

Unormal posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025786911/recommended/333640/

99.3 hours on record

"I like Caves of Qud quite a lot, and it deserves the positive ratings it has gotten... a lovely roguelike with beautiful tile art, a piece of far-future fiction that sci fi fans will immensely enjoy."

Not Recommended

The picture you put there with the quote you included seems to be a jab at the guy? And then you said that he did that for attention.

But if you read the whole review he has legit reasons for the "Not Recommended", so...? It makes sense that he wants to warn people about the downsides of an admittedly very niche, hard to get into game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Right, these words.
The picture you put there with the quote you included seems to be a jab at the guy? And then you said that he did that for attention.

But if you read the whole review he has legit reasons for the "Not Recommended", so...? It makes sense that he wants to warn people about the downsides of an admittedly very niche, hard to get into game.

What other words did I say.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So what's this thread's take on Game Maker vs. Construct? Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question but I guess the real question I'm asking is that if GM has a huge community and tons of resources, then are there any compelling reasons for using Construct?

Also, what languages can you write with in GM? I hear this feature talked about a lot and I'm okay at Python and have a very primitive knowledge of C++. I also know PyGame is a thing and maybe I should look into that if I wanna be serious about getting into making bad video games?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

So what's this thread's take on Game Maker vs. Construct? Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question but I guess the real question I'm asking is that if GM has a huge community and tons of resources, then are there any compelling reasons for using Construct?

Also, what languages can you write with in GM? I hear this feature talked about a lot and I'm okay at Python and have a very primitive knowledge of C++. I also know PyGame is a thing and maybe I should look into that if I wanna be serious about getting into making bad video games?

I can't give you much of a perspective on GM vs. Construct (beyond the fact that the event limit in the free version of Construct is very easy to hit in even a reasonably complex game, and sucks to refactor around), but I will say that PyGame doesn't seem like it's been well-supported for a while. I'm still pretty new to it but I don't think I'll try to undertake anything very fully-fleshed in it.

EDIT: Also GM uses its own proprietary language, and I'm not sure there's any other easily-accessible option. GML functionally looks like most modern scripting languages, so I don't think it'd be a huge leap to learn it if you have a grounding in Python. That being said the focus of GM does seem to be on the drag-and-drop method of building events, rather than the scripting, but it's useful that the option is there.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 31, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unormal posted:

What other words did I say.
Do you mean about "Please don't call him a loser for that."? Because I'm talking about that picture, usually when someone quotes something someone said with a fedora meme loser or whatever, they're implying that person is that.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Do you mean about "Please don't call him a loser for that."? Because I'm talking about that picture, usually when someone quotes something someone said with a fedora meme loser or whatever, they're implying that person is that.

No I don't mean that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's good at least, but you also called him a narcissist, which is pretty uncalled for.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

That's good at least, but you also called him a narcissist, which is pretty uncalled for.

No, I didn't.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

When you read the whole review and not just the parts you selectively picked it's actually very reasonable, and I say this as someone who likes Qud. Please don't call him a loser for that.

people like you are ruining this subreddit

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I think we've discussed this enough now.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
COUGH! - In other news:

My rag-dolls have been acting up all of a sudden and it's got my knickers in a twist. Check this poo poo out:

What in the world? I suspect it may have something to do with a bad pull I did a while back but I don't know if I can revert without losing all of the changes that have taken place since then. But that doesn't explain why when I create new ragdolls, the same thing seems to happen.

To be clear, the ragdolls are made from a collection of rigidbodies all attached to eachother via hingejoints. Very basic and has worked perfectly up to now. The same values I rigged up these guys with before for some reason just aren't behaving the same way anymore. I don't suppose there's been any weird Unity physics update recently that may have caused this? Is this something anyone here might be familiar with? I'm at a loss, here.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

I've never used Unity's built-in navmesh, so this is completely apocryphal, but I'm pretty sure it's either limited to ground-based motion or extremely tough to adapt for anything more.

The Unity navmesh/agent system is amazing for the one job it does, which is get thing A from current point X to designated point Y with reasonable steering and physics.

It is so abysmally coded that it actually requires the objects being navmesh-ed over to have mesh renderers attached to them. Not meshes, and not colliders. Mesh renderers. Luckily you can bake a navmesh and then remove the visuals, but until that navmesh is baked, the navigated thing needs to be visible for whatever loving reason. Also, it only builds navmeshes based on the assumption of an XZ plane of motion- it doesn't work for 2D stuff by default, because Unity's 2D stuff is (again by default) on the XY plane.

I've used it a couple times and it went quite well, once you figure out that it does exactly one very limited job.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I just wish you could define a NavMesh directly, or modify the one it creates, instead of relying on "spooky action at a distance" by changing your stuff and re-generating their stuff.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nition posted:

I just wish you could define a NavMesh directly, or modify the one it creates, instead of relying on "spooky action at a distance" by changing your stuff and re-generating their stuff.

I mean it puts the points and the things right loving there on the map, it should not be so difficult, but Unity gotta be :airquote: helpful. :airquote:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I know, right? I can see the mesh RIGHT THERE. If I have to edit it in Blender even, that's fine. I could even make my own mesh and assign the whole thing if I have to. But nope, no way to create or edit it directly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Did you seriously buy me this avatar, Unormal, because I told you to chill out?

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Haha, someone is real mad and is just as much of a douchebag as Sigma-X is at least.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Whats the shocker here, its a roguelike, the negative reviews were bound to start rolling in eventually.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bert of the Forest posted:

I suspect it may have something to do with a bad pull I did a while back but I don't know if I can revert without losing all of the changes that have taken place since then. But that doesn't explain why when I create new ragdolls, the same thing seems to happen.

Are you using Git? "git bisect" is your friend here for narrowing down where exactly things broke; it basically helps you do a binary search of your commit history, with you marking commits as either "good" (doesn't have broken ragdolls) or "bad" (does). Once you figure out the bad commit, you can probably fairly quickly figure out what in the commit caused the problem, and then make a new commit that fixes that instead of trying to revert the old one.

Though, if you have a specific commit that you suspect, you can just check that one individually. Check out the commit immediately prior, build, test your ragdolls. Then check out the suspect commit and repeat.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Did you seriously buy me this avatar, Unormal, because I told you to chill out?

Yes, I thought that's how we settled nerd disputes here on the Something Awful Forums?

I was lightly ribbing a guy who posted a positive review as negative. I explained why, and the guy even said himself that's what he was doing in his review.

You guys then proceeded to post two pages of completely innsufferable crap jamming words into my mouth the whole time.

Avatar bought, dispute resolved! :hfive:

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you using Git? "git bisect" is your friend here for narrowing down where exactly things broke; it basically helps you do a binary search of your commit history, with you marking commits as either "good" (doesn't have broken ragdolls) or "bad" (does). Once you figure out the bad commit, you can probably fairly quickly figure out what in the commit caused the problem, and then make a new commit that fixes that instead of trying to revert the old one.

Though, if you have a specific commit that you suspect, you can just check that one individually. Check out the commit immediately prior, build, test your ragdolls. Then check out the suspect commit and repeat.

We're using something called SourceTree but it's possible they have a similar feature. Not a bad idea though to really look through stuff to find where things went wrong. The only reason I suspect a bad pull in the first place is because I was pulling at a place with spotty internet and it failed to pull the first time I tried since it crapped out in the middle of pulling so it sounded like a likely culprit. Was just wondering if it really was the pull or if anyone else was having similar physics based hinge joint/rigidbody problems like that. Thanks though!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Bert of the Forest posted:

We're using something called SourceTree but it's possible they have a similar feature.

SourceTree is a gui frontend for git. (And Mercurial, I guess)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

Screenshot saturday time!

I've started hooking up some of my art to my map editor, and it's more or less looks the way i want to now. Getting the color palette to show through was more important than anything for the look i was after, so i ended up settling for what basically amounts to putting the lighting on fullbright and adding an AO pass.

This looks like Evil Genius had a baby with XCOM and I loving love it :allears:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Unity 2D question for Unity 2D experts! :toot:

Okay, here's the basic idea: I want to know how to apply graphical filters to selected 2D Sprites. I think you use Shaders for that, but I don't know much about those, and apparently you have to customize them from the ground up for Sprites anyway? Maybe someone knows a good resource to read up on this and/or shamelessly copy existing shaders/filters/whatevs.

Second question: can these filters also animate? As in, if I add some kind of spherizing effect, can I animate the rotation and create cool effects that way? I'd like to use tricks like this to deform sprites without animating it from scratch. Is it also possible to apply stuff like this to GUI elements, such as NGUI labels? (I.e. effects like making text jitter or wobble.) I've been playing around with dialog systems a lot for a little adventure, and I feel like fancy textbox effects are an absolute necessity. Absolute!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Unormal posted:

Yes, I thought that's how we settled nerd disputes here on the Something Awful Forums?

I was lightly ribbing a guy who posted a positive review as negative. I explained why, and the guy even said himself that's what he was doing in his review.

You guys then proceeded to post two pages of completely innsufferable crap jamming words into my mouth the whole time.

Avatar bought, dispute resolved! :hfive:

lol

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Torquemadras posted:

Unity 2D question for Unity 2D experts! :toot:

Okay, here's the basic idea: I want to know how to apply graphical filters to selected 2D Sprites. I think you use Shaders for that, but I don't know much about those, and apparently you have to customize them from the ground up for Sprites anyway? Maybe someone knows a good resource to read up on this and/or shamelessly copy existing shaders/filters/whatevs.

Second question: can these filters also animate? As in, if I add some kind of spherizing effect, can I animate the rotation and create cool effects that way? I'd like to use tricks like this to deform sprites without animating it from scratch. Is it also possible to apply stuff like this to GUI elements, such as NGUI labels? (I.e. effects like making text jitter or wobble.) I've been playing around with dialog systems a lot for a little adventure, and I feel like fancy textbox effects are an absolute necessity. Absolute!

You can definitely do this because (Talking out of my rear end here) Unity treats sprites just as a 3d quads rendering a Unity material. And of course unity materials can have shaders applied to them and you can animate shader parameters to give the shaders the "animation" you're looking for.

That's as helpful as I can be though because I fogot everything I ever learned about Unity shaders.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Here is a thing. I don't know what exactly. You press ZXCV when something is close to you (the closer the better) and otherwise just pretend you know what's happening.

On a related note making 3D environment art is still hard and not fun and I don't like it at all :emo:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I swear to god I will gently caress With the next person to post on either side of The Great Negative ReviewGate.

shs posted:

On a related note making 3D environment art is still hard and not fun and I don't like it at all :emo:
You've been through something like 4 distinct iterations that were each games I would have played. You really need to knuckle down with one of these and actually finish/polish it. ;)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

So I hate how paint.net has like no sprite or animation support in it.

So I hated it so much, that I made a thing. It loads .pdn files, and lets you turn on/off layers and specify animation stuff. It also watches the file you open, so you can make a quick tweak in paint.net, and it will automatically reload it and start animating the new changes.

Anyone else here use paint.net? I'd be willing to share the source code if I had any idea how to use bitbucket.

shs posted:

Here is a thing. I don't know what exactly. You press ZXCV when something is close to you (the closer the better) and otherwise just pretend you know what's happening.

Never give up.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Shalinor posted:

You've been through something like 4 distinct iterations that were each games I would have played. You really need to knuckle down with one of these and actually finish/polish it. ;)

I can work furiously on something for 4-5 months but after that I just crash and burn. This time around my combat is simple to make but very flexible (environmental art though :arghfist:) so maybe I won't burn out like I always do. Maybe

On the bright side my side projects have gotten a few tens of thousands of plays and even made a few hundred dollars. Sometimes I'm capable of finishing good things!