Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate this.

Definitely went into things expecting a slightly different game then. Saw the oodles of dialogue and Obsidian credentials so figured hey, non-combat characters won't be at a huge disadvantage. Wups. Mistake made, lessons learned.

With the way the stats work, every character is a combat character, it's just different depending on what stat you focus on. Like a typical Might/Dex/Endurance Fighter would focus on passives and modals abilities. But a high Intelligence Fighter is actually a pretty good offensive option, Intelligence extends the duration of all abilities; when you use knockdown they stay knocked down. They'd bypass the passives and pick up all the active abilities instead.

If you're having trouble hitting things I'd look at the combat log; hover over the attacks you're whiffing on and you can see the exact math on why you're not hitting them. It should be a constant Accuracy minus Defense roll (then subtract DR) at all levels.

Miss - 0% damage
Graze - 50% damage/duration
Hit - 100% damage/duration
Crit - 150% damage/duration

You can figure out DR by killing enough of the monster type and looking in the bestiary, or with humans you can usually look at what they're wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

EDIT: apparently other people are having the same issues. It seems like this area is bugged. I haven't tested this, but saving and reloading in this area may cause enemies to constantly increase in stats.
Sounds likely, that was a nasty bug that was fixed in the main game a few patches ago.

Cephas posted:

Is the Paladin's accuracy aura really worth it when you can have a party member take the +4 accuracy baby version? The movement speed aura just seems really useful in a game where half the challenge comes from engagement and needing to reach squishy high-priority targets before they can blast you to bits.
Either the description is incorrect or the aura doesn't benefit from intelligence buffing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is anybody else annoyed that strongest enemy slain seems to be wrong? Killed the Alpine Dragon and my strongest enemy killed is a broodmother.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I finally went through the temple in Defiance bay and was excited since I got a lot of loot to sell and a new wand/rod something from the high shadowed priestess there. I exited the dungeon to First Fires before equipping it though, and that appeared to be a mistake.

My party's inventory was literally full; after a loading screen, random loving items were just gone. Not even stash-related, but just items in my party's inventory went loving poof. No rhyme or reason as to which ones, either. What the gently caress?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vincent Valentine posted:

Can anyone direct me to a pretty okay barbarian guide for 2.0? I want to left click on a big spider and then have all the small spiderlings around it explode into mist while my friends deal with the big one.
The barbarian's a meat tenderizer for most of the game, softening groups for focused damage-dealers to wipe up. He doesn't have the spectacular, instant gratification hammer-down effect of a spellcaster but he doesn't have their zip-gun drawbacks - he's a walking Chill Cloud that does weapon damage and he can run marathons without a thumb-sucking break. With a good weapon and talent investment they can get pretty toothy around level 6-7. With the new focus adjustments they're definitely better than ciphers at consistently dealing direct damage to groups. They're just not going to get 20-30 damage in a single hit. They're going to do 20-30 damage over a number of rounds with no spell slot requirement.

To get the most out of a barbarian, don't go tank, go off-tank. Maybe Rope Kid can correct me but I think the Carnage ability centers around the target, not the barb, so a reach weapon excels at getting longevity out of your barb. If you want a more show-me sort of build, you make your trade-offs - you can either use CC and effective tank management to turn a medium-armored barbarian into a group pulverizer and try to ensure that the fight doesn't go long enough for her to get overwhelmed, or you can slap heavy armor on her and make her a less-off-tank, lasting longer but not dishing pain at quite the same rate.

Personally I went with a breastplated fishwoman with a good Pollaxe and a build emphasis on interrupt potential and carnage reach / damage, and by the time I had to drop her due to the big new patch she was chewing up medium-soft target groups like taffy. She'd probably play differently now with PER and CON changes, doing more damage but taking more damage (and hopefully standing it a little longer). Barbarians are a fun class.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

insane, stiletto dual-wielding, dwarf barbarians or nothing :colbert:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Excelzior posted:

All the knees in Eora will tremble in fear.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Excelzior posted:

Looks more like a rogue, but good enough for barb.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DelphiAegis posted:

So I finally went through the temple in Defiance bay and was excited since I got a lot of loot to sell and a new wand/rod something from the high shadowed priestess there. I exited the dungeon to First Fires before equipping it though, and that appeared to be a mistake.

My party's inventory was literally full; after a loading screen, random loving items were just gone. Not even stash-related, but just items in my party's inventory went loving poof. No rhyme or reason as to which ones, either. What the gently caress?

This is rather worrying for my Path of Iron playthrough, since you're not the first person reporting a bug like this.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'd almost wager it has something to do with one of the difficulty options of "access your stash at any time", since it takes it from there, too. When I beat up the lord in his castle or whatever, I had gobs of weapons, suits of armor, etc. I leave the palace and like 30% of it just loving vanished out of my stash.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WarpedLichen posted:

Is anybody else annoyed that strongest enemy slain seems to be wrong? Killed the Alpine Dragon and my strongest enemy killed is a broodmother.

Strongest enemy is based on killing blow of the character you are looking IIRC

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Strongest enemy is based on killing blow of the character you are looking IIRC

Aloth killed the Alpine Dragon and his strongest enemy killed was some punk pyromancer. The strongest enemy my party has killed is a tie between Broodmothers and Iron Constructs. Though bugged Iron Constructs are absolutely ridiculous and now I can't progress through the story until a patch hits.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I have had it with these motherfucking constructs in this motherfucking basement.

Fun fact: If you knockback an unstable construct while it's charging up its suicide-blast, it'll just finish it when it stands back up, centered on your character, no matter the distance. Won't even hurt itself either. *splat* went the group.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The barbarian's a meat tenderizer for most of the game, softening groups for focused damage-dealers to wipe up. He doesn't have the spectacular, instant gratification hammer-down effect of a spellcaster...

When I got into the Aloth-vs-villagers fight with my barbarian, my first hit was a carnage triple-crit. All three of them turned into chunks before in the first frame of combat.

Later-game, petrifying a group and then hitting them with Heart of Fury, is a good recipe for a lot of dead mooks.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Confusion is a great way of getting the unstable constructs to kill their own dudes instead of yours. They're susceptible to mind spells unlike the other ones.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, beat the expansion,; those new end game fights were really spicy even on Normal, I really don't envy anyone doing Alpine Dragon of PotD. It was good to see the devs took to heart complaints about tank-and-spank doorway battles for this though, the battles inside Durgan's Battery had alot more going on in them and forced you to be much more flexible with your positioning, hopefully more carefully crafted encounters like this will be the new standard going forward. Few thoughts on the story:

So by reigniting The White Forge you've stirred something in the mountains that would best be left alone? It'll be interesting to see what the second part does with that, I'm wondering if binding their souls to the cannons might have actually not been a terrible idea in this situation. Also was I right in thinking it's strongly implied to be Abydon's holy site, similar to Woedica's in Breith Eaman? I'd imagine that was something to do with the previous inhabitants' annihilation.

Overall I had a pretty good time with this, it wasn't the flashiest of expansions but it did a really good job building on the base game's gameplay and patching up it's weaker points, Cragholdt Bluff was a great extension of the endgame too and it was cool to see another classic D&D scenario done in PoE's reconstructionist style. Oh and the environment artists really outdid themselves with the new wilderness areas, they absolutely dripped atmosphere

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WarpedLichen posted:

Aloth killed the Alpine Dragon and his strongest enemy killed was some punk pyromancer. The strongest enemy my party has killed is a tie between Broodmothers and Iron Constructs. Though bugged Iron Constructs are absolutely ridiculous and now I can't progress through the story until a patch hits.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's only based on auto attacks given the other complaint someone had about soul weapons only counting auto attack kills for their upgrades.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Obsidian panel at PAX is up on YouTube : http://youtu.be/Dx-8lxjuXKo

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Hawgh posted:

Fun fact: If you knockback an unstable construct while it's charging up its suicide-blast, it'll just finish it when it stands back up, centered on your character, no matter the distance. Won't even hurt itself either. *splat* went the group.

So THAT is what kept happening to me. I only got through by designating one party member to be 'constuct bitch' and then loading them down with resist spells, magic shields, and regen before letting them get the final blow.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Azuth0667 posted:

For durgans battery: Where is the Sigil of the Sword? I've cleared the mines and foundry and still can't find it.

I could've sworn I found it in that first room right as you come in with the trolls. Where is the Sigil of the Helmet?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So here's my party...

Godlike Cleric
Grieving Mother
Hiravias
Pallegina
Zahua
Devil of Caroc

All are only level 4 (getting the White March companions was...fun...), so my questions are this...

One - who should I make my tank/off-tank?

Two - which armor type should I give them?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Oasx posted:

The Obsidian panel at PAX is up on YouTube : http://youtu.be/Dx-8lxjuXKo

This video desync'ed for me at about 25 minutes through so I watched the twitch link instead.

The duck story is amazing.

I always like hearing the give/take between development and designers on games. Who knew animal companions would cause so many problems?

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 31, 2015

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Scorchy posted:

With the way the stats work, every character is a combat character, it's just different depending on what stat you focus on. Like a typical Might/Dex/Endurance Fighter would focus on passives and modals abilities. But a high Intelligence Fighter is actually a pretty good offensive option, Intelligence extends the duration of all abilities; when you use knockdown they stay knocked down. They'd bypass the passives and pick up all the active abilities instead.

If you're having trouble hitting things I'd look at the combat log; hover over the attacks you're whiffing on and you can see the exact math on why you're not hitting them. It should be a constant Accuracy minus Defense roll (then subtract DR) at all levels.

Miss - 0% damage
Graze - 50% damage/duration
Hit - 100% damage/duration
Crit - 150% damage/duration

You can figure out DR by killing enough of the monster type and looking in the bestiary, or with humans you can usually look at what they're wearing.

I knew that more accuracy was obviously more better, but I had no idea that the difference was that big. Does the difference in scaling change as you gain more? Like, if I am reading your graph correctly each point of accuracy over the opponents defense is a 1% crit bonus for 25 vs 20. Is it still 1 for 1 at something like 90 accuracy versus 85 defense?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Vincent Valentine posted:

I knew that more accuracy was obviously more better, but I had no idea that the difference was that big. Does the difference in scaling change as you gain more? Like, if I am reading your graph correctly each point of accuracy over the opponents defense is a 1% crit bonus for 25 vs 20. Is it still 1 for 1 at something like 90 accuracy versus 85 defense?
Yes, everything is determined by the difference.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Attack_Resolution

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So what's everyones opinion of poo poo classes?

I'm finding i'm not liking the priest in my party (Durance). I'm rolling with Eder, My guy whos a fighter, a rogue, durance, Aloth and Kana.. I'm finding Durance isn't pulling his weight very well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No such thing as a poo poo class, just some that might not click with your playstyle. If you pump mechanics, priests become a fairly deft offensive and crowd controlling caster with the trap spells. Otherwise every priest can turn a party invincible while boosting damage output of others. If you don't find those ideas compelling you lose nothing swapping him out, besides an awesome story about a schizophrenic hobo.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm finding i'm not liking the priest in my party (Durance). I'm rolling with Eder, My guy whos a fighter, a rogue, durance, Aloth and Kana.. I'm finding Durance isn't pulling his weight very well.

Give him Inspired Flame and Weapon Focus Soldier and he becomes really reliable with an arquebus (throw in Gunner if you want to further increase his auto attack abilities). Bump his mechanics up and his seal spells will crit, dealing major damage or longer spell effect. If you have a chokepoint, spells like Withdraw can cheese alot of fights (especially if you have a cipher and Antipathetic Field), the level 2 Consecrated Ground is one of the best healing spells, Divine Mark does modest damage but is a great debuff against tanky enemies because it targets will, there's a slew of useful low level spells that become per-encounter uses as well.

Priests are extremely the poo poo, not poo poo.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They have quite a few offensive based spells that might change your opinion. I dislike the priest class myself but it's not because of effectiveness.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Durance is the best character he's a crazy homeless guy. I think the only class that is still bad is the ranger.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any Must-Have Cleric/Wizard/Cipher spells I should get ASAP?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Azran posted:

Any Must-Have Cleric/Wizard/Cipher spells I should get ASAP?

Slicken for the wizard. You can't choose for priests. Any CC spell is good for the cipher.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Well, let me rephrase that. Any Priest spells I should keep in mind because they are really good?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Azran posted:

Well, let me rephrase that. Any Priest spells I should keep in mind because they are really good?

If you're playing PotD, Devotions for the Faithful at level 4 is amazing. You get a massive accuracy bonus that helps you stick control effects on the enemy.

If you need even more help, it stacks with Crowns for the Faithful (lvl 6)/Champion's Boon (lvl 5).

Buff your wizard's accuracy and have them cast Confusion (lvl 4) or Call to Slumber (lvl 5) and the enemy squad basically can't do anything.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Azran posted:

Make a note of Suppress Affliction and all the Prayer Against ____ spells . Pillar of Faith is good for a ranged CC.

Keep Withdraw on a hotkey.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Druid/priest/cipher; which two best compliment the following base party?
Paladin, fighter, rogue, wizard

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
I've just started the White March area, in Stalwart Village, and the party's killed Darzir, the Ogre chief and nabbed the ring with two charges of domination from his corpse. However, the journal entry to kill him in order to force the other Ogres to retreat hasn't updated.
Whenever I exit and re-enter the area, on the loading screen an audio file plays "Darzir's fallen. Back to the Matron, now!" but all the other Ogres are still chilling in various spots around the village still. It took me a couple of retreats from the map in order to clear to Darzir, during which that audio file played despite my not having located him yet.

I'm about halfway through clearing the remaining Ogres and Winter Wolves out, but strongly suspect it'll have no effect as regards to progressing the storyline if the "Darzir's dead" flag hasn't registered. The last hard save is nine hours game time prior, with the previous autosaves being all occupied with travel to and from Stalwart Village.

Halp.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
After playing BG2 for the umpteenth time (and still enjoying it) I decided to buy this. Is good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So uhhh... I guess I shouldn't have taken on (End Boss of the Siege) Concelhaut at level 12? :stare:

Sometimes I run into a battle and get destroyed because I just got careless, but then I think about what I should be doing and the battle works out okay. Not with this fucker though, he basically devastates the party/knocks everybody on their rear end, kills everybody squishy and then watches gleefully as the adds slowly murder Eder. Sometimes if I'm lucky I manage to get off a couple of spells which do basically nothing.... at my very best I managed to keep half the party alive long enough to knock two pips of health off of him.

Maybe I'm just approaching it completely wrong, but I guess I should actually go do The White March and come back at top level and try again later.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You probably shouldn't have. I only managed to win by cheesing the weaker enemies first at level 14.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Durance is the best character he's a crazy homeless guy. I think the only class that is still bad is the ranger.

Rangers are actually good now, the pets do a lot of damage and don't die in two seconds and the new ranger spells are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

drgnvale posted:

Druid/priest/cipher; which two best compliment the following base party?
Paladin, fighter, rogue, wizard

Any two would be good. If you are playing potd I would go with priest and cipher for the CC and buffs.

As far as priest spells go Withdraw is only good if you want to cheese blocking doorways. You might as well as let your guy fall otherwise. The seals are great but make sure you raise mechanics as they are traps.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 31, 2015

• Locked thread