Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

If you can't get more food somewhere, you carry two weeks of food. Plan it carefully, bring calorie rich foods. Two weeks of food at ~1.5 lbs (depending on person/exertion/moon) is ~21 lbs. If you're base weight is say, 12 lbs., you'll be okay. It gets lighter as you go, of course.

Planning food carefully is more important than anything else for me, anymore. Being hungry, not eating enough for a day's exertion, and eating unsatisfying meals is a big drag. Hot cereal, warm dinners, and snacks I actually look forward to are huge helps. The days of surviving on Clif bars and raisins are loving gone, and good riddance.

I wash up a little with water only in the middle of sunny days, maybe every 3 days. More often if it's really dusty/messy.

I can respect the sentiment of not wanting to eat clif bars for every meal. I like them from time to time but would probably leap into a gorge if it was nothing but those and gorp for 2 weeks.

Can you give some actual examples for your meal planning? Everything I see indicates fat- heavy foods for maximum energy density. Accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Keldoclock posted:

lol welcome to the future.

Noise is completely solveable- you must be thinking of mulitrotors, which are really a poor choice for mountain flying anyways; FW is better if you're conservative enough to fly high or quick-thumbed enough to not hit trees (lol, unlike most operators I know). With a FW design you can use a slow-rpm push prop and big smooth wings, and just run the motor occasionally for lift, otherwise just surfing the air currents man (and you'll still move faster than a multi!). Paved roads bro, bike paths, scree fields, all those dark surfaces heat up like the hot rocks in a sauna and as long as you're a smooth, steady operator and can thread that needle of invisible hot air, you can go hundreds of meters without tapping the motor.

Yeah man them wildfires are really some poo poo, one in particular cock-blocked me from a summit and then both I and the air filter in my truck had the esteemed pleasure of choking on smoke for the next few days. I've put in a few hours helping my local firefighters with their shortwave radio traffic nets, and have accelerated outfitting my truck for brush and getting my red card, since I doubt climate change is going to slow up and I'd rather be ready for this to happen again next summer and have wasted my time then be in a position again where I have the will but not the papers to help out.

Just so you know, I pretended I was hearing this post spoken to me by The Dude.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I plan for ~3000 (depending) calories a day. Breakfast and dinner are the big meals, each around 800-900 calories. Examples:

Breakfast: Double oatmeal, with sugar, raisins, walnuts, dehydrated milk added, and a crunchy sugary granola bar. Coffee goes in the water bottle to drink while I get moving. Sometimes I switch this up, depending on where I camp/animals to see/etc. and will break camp, make coffee, get moving for an hour or so then stop for breakfast.

Dinner: Rice/beans/cheese mix with a cured meat sliced up and thrown in, make it spicy. Then some chocolate.

Throughout the day I snack on nuts/m&ms/granola bars with almond butter, an endless list of things. I even bring things like tiny bags of potato chips. The luxury of something like that can't be overstated on day six of a hike. Everything is organized in bags for a day by day usage. I'll have one bag labelled for Day 1, in it is breakfast, dinner, and my snacks. That's then my trash bag, as well.

I eat whatever the hell I want for snacks, and a lot of it. By necessity of weight, and because it's delicious, that usually means fatty, rich, foods. Like you said.

Good examples for similar thought processes are people like Andrew Skurka:

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/food-planning-for-multi-day-hikes-and-thru-hikes/
http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-breakfast-dinner-recipes-ingredient-info-sourcing/

There's a website, I think I saw it posted recently here, that now sells a book of great recipes. You can use google archive to see the recipes before they "closed" the website to sell the book though. I've spent time just playing around. It's not too tough, as long as you experiment in the kitchen first.

VV Yes VV

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 31, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

So I see a lot of talk about people doing 2+ weeks at once. My question is: How much food do you take along and what kinds? The idea of carrying several weeks worth of food is somewhat intimidating.

As others have mentioned it comes down to careful planning. Take a look at what you're bringing and count up the calories to make sure that you will get enough for the duration of your trip. Usually if it's under a week I don't actually care if I'm coming in under calorie requirements a little bit. I can lose a couple of pounds and be fine. Not to say I plan to only eat something crazy like 1500 calories a day or something, but if I'm short 500 a day no big deal.

On longer trips though it's absolutely essential you can get enough food in. I pack a lot of familiar backpacking foods: nuts, bars, dehydrated meals, etc. I quit going with Cliff bars and started taking Pro Bars and Bear Valley meal bars which both pack in a ton of calories. Adding some shots of olive oil to your dinner each night helps pack on the calories. I like to eat a hearty bowl of oatmeal slathered in peanut butter each morning which is a ton of calories too. Usually on the trail I follow the pattern of big breakfast, bars and gorp for lunch during the day, and then another massive meal for dinner. This keeps you moving during the day so you can cover ground and seems to work best for me.

Generally I aim for 3500 calories a day. If I know that a route is going to have more bushwhacking or elevation gain I'll plan on more for that day. Once you know how many calories you need and you pick out the food the next step is to pack smartly. No matter what you do you're going to feel the weight of two weeks worth of food. The good thing is that the longer you go the lighter your pack will get! I try and remove everything from it's bulky packaging and condense what I can. The other part is to make sure that you arent going overboard with what you bring. Even if your meal plan includes lots of peanut butter you probably won't use a whole jar even in two weeks so take only what you need.

EssOEss posted:

And how do you stay clean? Or do you just get used to being greasy all the time?

People think I'm crazy for this but I've been doing it for years now full time, and it's worked well for me with no ill effects. A couple of weeks before your trip stop using soap and shampoo every day. Still take a shower just use soap and shampoo every other day. The first few days you will be greasy as your body adjusts. Then start to try and go every 3 days using soap and shampoo. Try to make it up to 4 days before your trip. By then you will find that you can go a couple days hiking without being a walking grease ball. I now use Dr Bronners soap and shampoo year round every other day. I read a report on how normal shampoos and soap can damage wildlife and rivers even in a city sewer system and made the switch for crazy hippie reasons. It's worked well for me and I havent had any hygiene issues and people dont suspect me of being a dirty hippie.

On trail for long trips I'll "wash" socks and underwear and scrub them against a rock and let them air dry on long trips. I'll do that and just alternate socks and underwear every couple of days. You can bring some Dr Bronners along for this too. Of course make sure to get a bowl of water and carry it at least 200 yards away from a water source when you do this to follow Leave No Trace rules. Wet wipes work well for washing up too on long trips. Coleman and several other companies make bio-degradabale wipes too, So if you use one for your bottom bits you can throw them in the cathole you dug along with the rest of your waste.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 31, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Holy poo poo Picnic Princess

WarauInu
Jul 29, 2003

Vomik posted:

Baby wipes for underarms, crotch, and face and continue to wear deodorant.

For really long expedition style things.. think like 4 months in the Himalayas they usually have a shower setup.

I hope not in that order.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
rinsing off with water or something is usually fine...your'e not going to get "clean" without a lot of hot water and soap and even if you put in the effort to do all that, you're just going to be stinking dirty soon enough again anyways. No one cares if you smell in the wilderness

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Or shower under a waterfall :whatup:

The pipes you see (one in use, one on ground) were brought out by somebody long ago to help project water onto your body better. Kalalau beach has enough traffic (and semi-permanent hippie residents, and one mostly-permanent native resident) that I guess it was worth bringing and leaving out there.

e: even a waterfall should be for rinsing only, no soap... even castile soap (Dr Bronner's, etc), which is probably as nature-safe as it gets for soap, is bad to introduce directly into a water source. Some people washed off with Dr B's and I even saw someone use some shampoo, and I was not happy :mad: - the effluent of that waterfall has about 30 yards until the ocean, sure, but there are plants and probably baby fish living in that 30 yards!

When you wash with any soap, always rinse it off into some soil, not directly into the stream/lake/whatever.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 31, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
What do you people do that you can take off 2+ weeks at a time to backpack? And how do I get in on that?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

What do you people do that you can take off 2+ weeks at a time to backpack? And how do I get in on that?

I'm self-employed. I can take off as much time as I want.

I just don't get paid when I don't work :cry:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Crazyeyes posted:

I work in an industry that is increasingly contractor based, got lucky and knew a few people, moved to the #1 city for my line of work, and still don't make much money. But I get a lot of time off, travel for work a lot, and can combine work/play often.

Frequent flier miles help a lot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Crazyeyes posted:

Work for an employer that has a reasonable vacation plan.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

^^^ that, but since that's very hard to find in the US, done other ideas:

Negotiate for unpaid time off, or for more vacation time in exchange for some salary

Take time off between jobs when you get a new job. Or if you do contract work, same sort of thing between contracts.

Be a teacher (contrary to popular belief, they do work a lot in the summer, but it's easier than most jobs to take several weeks off)

Unfortunately, depending on what you do / where your job is, this may be much easier said than done. The US workplace culture has a really poo poo attitude about vacation :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

Not live in the US.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hungryjack posted:

High five, self employed is the best.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'd still be annoyed even if I saw a quiet one floating about. Part of the reason I go out to hike and camp is to get away from the modern world to a degree. I'm not saying they don't have their uses but I'd hate to be gazing upon some mountain side and see a drone buzzing all about.

When you look at the sky at night, do you close your eyes when the ISS passes over you? How about aircraft?

If you could see the lunar retroreflector array with your bare eyes, would it bother you too?

Humans are natural. Like the colonies built by ants, our cities, farms etc are just as natural as the world's empty deserts, mountains, teeming forests, oceans. Of course it does get dull looking at the same scenery all the time ;) . I find a little aircraft much less destructive than, say, mountain bikers illegally riding on a hiking trail. Or stock. I wouldn't try to stop people from bringing stock out onto the trail but god drat when you're walking along and you have to rock-hop through the pools of horse poo poo the beauty of nature is the last thing on your mind. It's OK though, I get them back on mixed-use horse/cycle trails by roaring past them at 22mph blaring Yeezus tracks on my cell phone.

You know what man you actually gave me a pretty good idea. I'm going to build my next one out of sky-blue foam and see how well it prints against the sky.

bunnielab posted:

Anyone have a GPS and use it this way?

My map obsession runs the other way; I am always trying to get the freshest, most detailed maps for the areas I find myself in. You have basically 2 options: You can pull maps as image files and use them straight like that, which is made easier by using a smartphone with Gaia GPS or similar, or you get topo map files from certain spots on the internet and put them into your dedicated GPS unit (I do this in addition to purchasing Garmin's proprietary maps, because sometimes theirs aren't as up to date as the other kind). I do both, as well as use paper maps when I can get a Green Trails map or something, since those are reprinted every year or so. Mmm, those delectable contour lines.

I don't have any resources for 21st century people doing amateur cartography, just 19th century stuff. If anything neat comes up in your research, bunnielab, please share it!

Crazyeyes posted:

My question is: How much food do you take along and what kinds?

For long hikes like that I'm partial to going through on a bicycle in the weeks leading up to the trip and caching some food away. Check your local regulations though, in many places holding supply caches for longer than 48 hours is not allowed. You should be well aware of your options for resupply during the planning stages. Especially on the northeast side of the U.S., you will have a hard time finding even 100 miles of trail that don't go through a town or roadside convenience store somewhere. Honey buns and instant coffee make for a refreshing change of pace from oatmeal.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Keldoclock posted:

When you look at the sky at night, do you close your eyes when the ISS passes over you? How about aircraft?

If you could see the lunar retroreflector array with your bare eyes, would it bother you too?

...It's OK though, I get them back on mixed-use horse/cycle trails by roaring past them at 22mph blaring Yeezus tracks on my cell phone.

are you just trolling

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Let me tell you about how seeing a satellite cross over is the same as seeing a quad rotor UAV buzz by you on a trail

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Sounds like we should all get good at throwing boomerangs at drones

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

For the record, I'm not coming out for or against UAVs on a trail, but man that is a false equivalence if I've ever seen one

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Hungryjack posted:

Yea, it is a double edged sword at best but I somehow ended up with two months off this summer. Of course, last summer I was out of town and working every day for three months, so I think it balances out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I work at a zoo gift shop, which usually employs students with random schedules so they're extremely flexible. My boss is also really nice. I get 2 weeks vacation pay per year, and any extra time is just 'unpaid time off'.

My husband gets 3 weeks paid vacation time per year after working at his company for 6 years. So we just take time off together. Also they allow vacation time to carry over one calendar year, so he had two saved up last year. So we've done 2 backpacking trips and are going to Mexico twice (leaving tomorrow!) and he still has one more week to kill before the new year.

Oh yeah, having a spouse who works in a trade helps when it comes to finances and taking time off work. Also no kids. We'll be dinks forever.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Keldoclock posted:

I get them back on mixed-use horse/cycle trails by roaring past them at 22mph blaring Yeezus tracks on my cell phone.

You know what, never mind. I had a whole thing typed up better to just drop it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Came to post this:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2011851/can-appalachian-trail-survive-walk-woods

What really upsets more than just the sheer numbers, which I think could be properly managed in the future, is poo poo like this:

quote:

Almost everybody interviewed for this article said they’ve noticed a shift in the past decade. Hikers are more self-entitled and disrespectful of the environment, they say. “I would love to know what percentage of the thru-hikers that ideology represents,” Marion says. “Based on the kinds of problems we’re seeing and the wide spread reports, we think it must be in the 20 percent range at least.”

I use to be more passive about seeing newbie hikers make mistakes, like tearing down live brush for fires or building fires to begin with where you shouldn't but I think I'm going to start being more forthright with people. Wilderness area's can be really sensitive and it only takes a few idiots to totally destroy an area. I'm going to make it a point to talk to people and try to educate them as much as possible now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The movie isn't going to be a massive Hollywood blockbuster that causes a huge surge in AT hikers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think there are people getting into hiking, especially thru hiking, because of the "sport" aspect they see in it, like running marathons. Less because of being out in the wilderness exactly and more because of the "challenge". Then again maybe I'm just being a NIMBY and shouting at kids to get off my lawn.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I think there are people getting into hiking, especially thru hiking, because of the "sport" aspect they see in it, like running marathons. Less because of being out in the wilderness exactly and more because of the "challenge". Then again maybe I'm just being a NIMBY and shouting at kids to get off my lawn.

I'm trying to figure out if you're saying this is a bad thing.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Another adventure in Idaho. This cabin is spot on in its assessment of hiking.

I found some falls

A nice basin to stroll through

Kane Lake and bonus shot of Devil's Bedstead East. And holy hell the wind was strong at the summit

Despite the amount of wildfires, the smoke wasn't bad today

The Salzburger Spitzl was a fun but long hike. 7.3 miles, 5100 feet of elevation. Really I just wanted to explore the upper basin where the creek starts. I had been in the adjacent basin when climbing Kane Peak a couple years ago.

Salzburger on the left, twin summitted Kane Peak to its right. Handwerk is the ridgeline dead center with Duncan's Ridge on the far right. Hyndman Peak is poking in behind it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hungryjack posted:

I'm trying to figure out if you're saying this is a bad thing.

bad thing about people getting into backpacking as another form of crossfit/marathon running/etc? Bad thing if they don't care about taking care of the wilderness and trash things. Otherwise, nothing wrong with it, people do things for different reasons, but I think a great influx of people tends to also bring people who don't give a poo poo.

It's always a complex relationship. Lots of wilderness areas can only handle so many people/so much traffic, but on the other hand the more people that care about those places then the more support for protecting them.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Came to post this:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2011851/can-appalachian-trail-survive-walk-woods

What really upsets more than just the sheer numbers, which I think could be properly managed in the future, is poo poo like this:

I use to be more passive about seeing newbie hikers make mistakes, like tearing down live brush for fires or building fires to begin with where you shouldn't but I think I'm going to start being more forthright with people. Wilderness area's can be really sensitive and it only takes a few idiots to totally destroy an area. I'm going to make it a point to talk to people and try to educate them as much as possible now.
It's the same problem conservation has had for 100 years: "There's tons of space/trees/fish/whatever, what's it matter what I do?"

And just like always, there are plenty of people that just don't give a gently caress. Education is the only real answer. Hopefully the film incorporates that, because even though it's not gonna be a huge theater sensation, plenty of people will watch it and want to hike (good!) on a trail that already gets too much traffic.

Truthfully though I'm happy it's about the AT and not something else, because it's going to be a poo poo show out there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There's basically nothing you can do to prevent stubborn people from making fires if there's fuel around, a big part of camping is to have an evening fire especially for those that aren't from the west coast and they'll be damned if they don't get to have one. And who's going to stop them?

Then you run into stuff like people straight up building really nice fire pits in the enchantments above the no fire line, the rangers should at least be knocking those down (although they're probably the ones who build them).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Headlamp chat?

I'm looking for a new headlamp for work and need some advice finding one that suits my needs.

I have a headlamp right now that fits these specs but I'm curious to know if anyone has come across something better or different.

Need:
Approximately as bright as the sun, or as many lumens as possible (current is 103)
:siren: Red strobe on the back :siren:
Takes AA batteries

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

Headlamp chat?

I'm looking for a new headlamp for work and need some advice finding one that suits my needs.

I have a headlamp right now that fits these specs but I'm curious to know if anyone has come across something better or different.

Need:
Approximately as bright as the sun, or as many lumens as possible (current is 103)
Takes AA batteries

Ah, you lost me at "takes AA batteries." I have the brightest one I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of headlamps in the trail running community, but it uses a rechargeable battery, not AAs

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Headlamp chat?

Need:
Takes AA batteries

I'd recommend the Black Diamond Sprinter:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...iamond+sprinter
But it's a rechargeable internal battery. However the older model did use swappable batteries, but I believe they were AAA.

Otherwise ZebraLight makes a pretty well regarded headlamp that uses AA's:
http://www.amazon.com/Zebralight-H52w-Headlamp-Neutral-White/dp/B00F8UHMDK
But no red strobe on the the back. You could probably just get a cheap led blinker for the back and pin it on somehow. Otherwise I can't think of any models that have all the features built in that you would want.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

mastershakeman posted:

There's basically nothing you can do to prevent stubborn people from making fires if there's fuel around, a big part of camping is to have an evening fire especially for those that aren't from the west coast and they'll be damned if they don't get to have one. And who's going to stop them?

Then you run into stuff like people straight up building really nice fire pits in the enchantments above the no fire line, the rangers should at least be knocking those down (although they're probably the ones who build them).

The Rangers? Nah, tear those down yourself (not while someone is using it though)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That article is pretty timely for me, I was backpacking last weekend and it was a total shitshow. Off leash dog charged and bit me on wilderness space, then a bunch of frat boys built a huge rear end bonfire at the high mountain lake I was going to camp near and were doing bong rips and throwing beer cans in the lake, so I moved on and found another spot that seemed nice and set up my tent then realized someone had thrown a poo poo ton of food they didn't want to eat behind some trees so that was rotting 20 feet away and I wasn't worried about bears before but kind of was then, whatever it was fine then another off leash dog charged me fortunately this one didn't bite, and then on day three hiking out some dumbshit millennials were flying a drone as annoyingly as possible and thought it would be funny to zoom it over people hiking on the trail then the battery died and it crashed 50 feet ahead of me on the trail and would have hit me if the battery died two seconds earlier, nearly got into a fist fight with them after yelling at them for being stupid dipshits.

I mean Indian Peaks is always kind of a shitshow but geez it sure seems to be getting worse every year. I think I'm going to start giving up on anything near the front range and head out to Utah or Idaho or something for trips, I'm just so tired of all the dipshits.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'd almost think you were making fun of us but all those things are pretty likely to happen in a heavily used area that's within a day or two hike from an easily accessible place

And if you pack the goddamn beer in is it that much harder to pack out the empties :psyduck:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Dipshits abound, but I still maintain that most of the people you meet out on the trails are some of the coolest people you'd care to cross paths with. I just hope trail culture seeps into people faster then they can seep into trail culture.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I can tolerate and work with ignorance. Like not knowing to build a fire pit or using shampoo in a stream. Those people just don't know any better yet. Straight up disregard for your surroundings though just makes me furious. I'd like to think I'd confront a rowdy group of drunk bro's littering but in reality I'd probably just try to take some pictures and then turn them in. It wouldn't be worth the potential fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Used to be only the Jeep trails and campsites that got the obnoxious bro-crowds in the Sierra Nevada (besides touristy park campgrounds) but I also ran into a huge 35+ group of obnoxious millenial shitheads a few years ago at Lassen that were up till 2 am getting blasted on Fireball and yelling and scrounging around everyone else sites for more firewood, sad part it included ladies too (bro-ettes?).