Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Lady Tankington, sitrep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Zelda is probably awesome and I hope she makes you happy :3:

Great Dogge, can confirm.

Girlfriend just rescued this little Australian Cattle Dog thing. Meet Rocco.

And sometimes I drive past this vet, had to do a double take at the sign.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

^ Gonna need more cattle dog pics like ASAP

At the vet for routine stuff.
17 lbs almost 2 more since about 3 weeks

And snipping the boys t-minus 1 week O.O

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 1, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax has a Twitter now

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

At the vet for routine stuff.
17 lbs almost 2 more since about 3 weeks

And snipping the boys t-minus 1 week O.O

Icarus is unbearably cute

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I literally get stopped every corner and have to go through the whole spiel. Not that I care since that's what owning a dog is all about and I want to socialize him as much as possible. Proud papa and all that

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 1, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

He has two beds which he never uses. I already picked him one out at the store but then i saw one on sale and brought it down to let him sniff it and such to see if he liked it but he pissed on it instead so now I have two! I think it's just too hot. Sometime he rests his head on them, sometimes.

Anyways this is his absolute favorite spot. It's a bit warm inside and he likes to creep on the neighbors there (top of stairs) and investigate every noise and every time someone goes in and out of the gate. I just leave the door cracked 24/7 when I'm home

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 1, 2015

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hello, Rocco!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

^ Gonna need more cattle dog pics like that

Not Rocco, but here is some more Reggie.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I accept dog pics in all forms and flavor

Also some pics of him at work!?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I accept dog pics in all forms and flavor

Also some pics of him at work!?

I was a fool, let my ipad on the hood of the tractor last week and then proceeded to plow it into a rye field. I'll try to get a few pictures of Reggie with the cows tomorrow.

In the meantime, have more of him around home.

Hey, can I have a butt scratch?

Awwww yisss...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Weltlich posted:

Awwww yisss...

:feelsgood:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Here's some older pictures of him working with animals. Some are from last winter.

Ducks -

Chickens -

Learning about Pigs -

Learning about Cows -

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So I know their natural instinct is to herd and have a job through breeding and evolution I guess but how much training or teaching do you have to do?

Border Collies always try to herd my pup to me

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax herds the cat back inside when he runs out into the woods, but he does so differently than a border collie would. It's hard to describe

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax is a confused dog

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Pax has a Twitter now

where is the handle? also does it have pictures of pax?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ElMaligno posted:

where is the handle? also does it have pictures of pax?

@paxthedog

Yes, it's mostly for pictures and a puppy diary, since I realized that his puppyhood won't last much longer and I wanted to capture it

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ask and ye shall receive

Rocco and Zelda are basically best friends already. Though both being working dogs it is very hard to get a good picture of them together. So much activity.

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 1, 2015

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.
This is Millie (the Malinois), and behind her is Fenway, who is some kind of sheep dog:

Notice what everyone is doing: I'm holding a leaf. Millie is staring intently at the leaf. Fenway is staring intently at Millie.

Millie brought me the leaf in hopes that I'd throw it since all her balls were inside the house. If no balls are available, she will bring you anything that isn't attached to the ground, including dead leaves.
Meanwhile, Fenway is stalking Millie the entire time.

The tension is incredible.

Fenway has never been trained; it's all instinct. Millie is a former police dog; a trained sniffer.
Both Dogges of Excellence.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
@N4D Mia also never uses her bed.

Weird dogges

E: wow Pax has a pretty good following!

USMC503 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 1, 2015

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Sitreps:

Timothy:

Zipper:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Update!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Sometimes I feel sad I will never be as totally relaxed as a flopped over dog.

Then look at some flopped over dogs and feel better.

Good flopped over dogs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

*fuckin slams the follow button*

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Was house sitting not to long ago and forgot to post these.

Charlie's a chill-rear end dogge who loves people, and loves pettes even more.

Basically, Charlie's a good dogge.

This hasn't been properly acknowledged on this page, but Charlie's a drat good dogge.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

suboptimal posted:

This hasn't been properly acknowledged on this page, but Charlie's a drat good dogge.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lmao saw a dude with a Mastiff or something else similar and gigantic using a baseball bat to play fetch with in the water

Also I know this is old but drat if this isn't the cutest dog thing I ever read

suboptimal posted:

The first night we had him as a puppy, he was whining a lot, so I built him a fort out of couch cushions and read Superman comic books to him until he fell asleep.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So I know their natural instinct is to herd and have a job through breeding and evolution I guess but how much training or teaching do you have to do?

Border Collies always try to herd my pup to me

The amount and type of teaching and training varies heavily from dogge to dogge, and depends largely on four things:

- The job the dog will be doing
- The "instinct" already inherent in the dog
- The specific personality and intelligence of the dog
- the specific personality and intelligence of the handler

Border Collies make great "fetching" herders. They can go bring an animal to you, and they (typically) tend to work "strong eyed" meaning they make a lot of eye contact with the stock they're working and compel the stock to move based on that. They make really good sheep dogs because of this, since sheep like to flock and they can move multiple animals by getting one animal on the move that the others will follow. That's instinct, so the handler has to teach the dog how to be subtle about looking at the stock so the dog doesn't spook the sheep, and how to cut either left or right to maneuver the flock to a designated target. The dog should learn by doing which way it needs to swing around a flock to get them to go to the spot, but also be willing and able to take corrections on the fly from the handler if the handler wants to tweak the routine.

Cattle Dogs are (typically) loose eyed herders, meaning they either use little eye contact, or try to avoid it. This is good with large animals like cattle, since eye contact can spook them and the last thing I want is a herd of cows stampeding because Reggie decided to stare at them too strongly. Most "driving" dogs are loose eyed, and are designed to move stock by their position in space relative to the herd, always staying in the blind spot of the herd and applying "pressure" to move them. Reggie has good instinct for this, and will keep between 5 and 7 o'clock on the cows so they can "feel him" but not see him.

So when I work Reggie, I use commands to regulate his distance from the herd so that they move at a speed that I want them to move. If he's getting too close, and they pick up speed, I'll use "wait" to have him stop and crouch until the pressure eases up a little. If he's too far out and they're dawdling, I'll ask him to "walk up" and get a little closer to speed them up. He's still working on some light fetching, which needs to be done if a cow strays off from the herd and needs to be brought back. About 75% of the time he does the right thing and walks in slow to the cow's flank to pressure it back to the rest, but occasionally he just wants to chase a cow and shoots off at it like a bullet. He'll get better with age and experience.

I'm also working on some "strong eyed" herding with him with ducks as the stock, since I think he's smart enough for it. The big commands here are "come by" and "away to me" which means either go clockwise or counterclockwise around the flock. There's also the "get out" command which means move away from the stock at once. I like that one because I'm basically using :frogout: in a real world setting with a real meaning.

It's hard to get photos of him working since I'm trying to control and photograph at the same time, but I gave him a little practice on a couple of cows in the front pasture this morning.

1) Reggie just got a "wait" command, since he got too hot and the cows started moving too fast.

2) I gave him the "walk up" to move the cows to the gate in the opposite corner of the pasture.

3) Bonus image of Reggie and Big Joe. Big Joe is a newfie friend of Reggie's on our friend's farm. We'd lent them our combine and went to get it back this afternoon.

4) Big Joe managed to get into some serious burdock last week, and instead of picking all the burrs out of him, they just shaved his butt where he'd sat down in them.

EDIT: FunFact - During bear hunting season, Big Joe has to wear an orange hunting vest so that he doesn't get mistaken for a black bear!

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 2, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

A good post. That poo poo is cool. I just wonder what dude at what point in time was like "hey let's train/breed these animals to do herding for us!"

So what's the farmer/dog dynamic like? I assume the dog is always with you and a part of the family. I guess what I'm asking is if a farmer didn't like dogs and say just locked him up unless he needed him to work he'd be defiant. I mean of course he'll work better the stronger the bond.

It's not an understatement when I say every border collie tries to herd pup at the beach. I'm not sure what it is; I guess his size. But there are a lot of small dogs. They always bee line it to us, start circling us, and keep nipping him in the back of the neck intermittently herding him to me. He of course has no idea wtf and is terrified

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

A good post. That poo poo is cool. I just wonder what dude at what point in time was like "hey let's train/breed these animals to do herding for us!"

So what's the farmer/dog dynamic like? I assume the dog is always with you and a part of the family. I guess what I'm asking is if a farmer didn't like dogs and say just locked him up unless he needed him to work he'd be defiant. I mean of course he'll work better the stronger the bond.

It's not an understatement when I say every border collie tries to herd pup at the beach. I'm not sure what it is; I guess his size. But there are a lot of small dogs. They always bee line it to us, start circling us, and keep nipping him in the back of the neck intermittently herding him to me. He of course has no idea wtf and is terrified

I've found that a close handler/dog relationship is a good thing. Reggie is pretty much my sidekick at this point, and he's really not happy unless he can follow someone around all day. He generally favors me, but he'll follow my wife, or one of my business partners, or anyone who he's decided is a friend. He makes a good jogging dog as well.

My business partner has a Lab and a Bernese Mountain Dog, and they're total porch hounds. They don't really get off of the front porch unless there is food involved or they're asked to come along for a walk. Reggie just assumes that if someone is going out into the farm, he'll be needed, so he tags along. A friend of ours who runs sheep has a Pyrenees that never comes away from the flock, but that dog isn't so much herding the sheep as it is guarding. He actually has to put that dog in the truck when he brings his Australian Sheperd out to herd them, since the Pyrenees will assault the Aussie while it's trying to do its job.

Part of what the border collies is instinct, but I'd put money on them just being jobless dogges. BC's are a breed that NEED a job or heavy mental activity every day to be happy, and if they don't have it, they start inventing work for themselves. Pax is just getting fun policed :(

Reggie brought the ducks up from the creek for feeding tonight.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

When you say they have jobs is it something they simply know how to do or that in addition to knowing when and doing it clockwork without direction

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Weltlich posted:

I've found that a close handler/dog relationship is a good thing. Reggie is pretty much my sidekick at this point, and he's really not happy unless he can follow someone around all day. He generally favors me, but he'll follow my wife, or one of my business partners, or anyone who he's decided is a friend. He makes a good jogging dog as well.

My business partner has a Lab and a Bernese Mountain Dog, and they're total porch hounds. They don't really get off of the front porch unless there is food involved or they're asked to come along for a walk. Reggie just assumes that if someone is going out into the farm, he'll be needed, so he tags along. A friend of ours who runs sheep has a Pyrenees that never comes away from the flock, but that dog isn't so much herding the sheep as it is guarding. He actually has to put that dog in the truck when he brings his Australian Sheperd out to herd them, since the Pyrenees will assault the Aussie while it's trying to do its job.

Part of what the border collies is instinct, but I'd put money on them just being jobless dogges. BC's are a breed that NEED a job or heavy mental activity every day to be happy, and if they don't have it, they start inventing work for themselves. Pax is just getting fun policed :(

Reggie brought the ducks up from the creek for feeding tonight.

I let pax herd the cats when they go out of bounds in our yard. I draw the line at small children though

The weird thing is that pax isn't a herding breed, he's half hunting lab half weird collie Samoyed cur whatever dog

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Where did I go wrong

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I bet the paratrooper dogs really enjoy their work. It's like sticking your head out of the window x1000

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Getting more aggressive with the crate training but he's still not having it. He's getter better, though. Not a fan of that bed I guess

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Getting more aggressive with the crate training but he's still not having it. He's getter better, though. Not a fan of that bed I guess

You might want to try a full-view crate, one that doesn't double as a carrier. Could be a matter of semantics - I just know that my dogs have really taken to their crates. I have polyester blankets draped over theirs, but it might help if there's any sort of claustrophobia.

Take all of that with a grain of salt.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have a blanket draped over it because I read it makes it feel like a "den" to them. But not all the time.

I'm going to try baby gating the kitchen but he climbs short fences lol

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Sitreps:

Timothy:

Zipper:

Good dogges.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

This is Millie (the Malinois), and behind her is Fenway, who is some kind of sheep dog:

Notice what everyone is doing: I'm holding a leaf. Millie is staring intently at the leaf. Fenway is staring intently at Millie.

Millie brought me the leaf in hopes that I'd throw it since all her balls were inside the house. If no balls are available, she will bring you anything that isn't attached to the ground, including dead leaves.
Meanwhile, Fenway is stalking Millie the entire time.

The tension is incredible.

Fenway has never been trained; it's all instinct. Millie is a former police dog; a trained sniffer.
Both Dogges of Excellence.

What's it like living with a land shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

When you say they have jobs is it something they simply know how to do or that in addition to knowing when and doing it clockwork without direction

It can be either or both. Some dogs have professional jobs, and that occupies their minds and physical energy, and generally puts them to productive outcomes. (Herding dogs, the celery sniffing beagle at customs, seeing eye dogs, etc.) In this case it's taking instinct and adding layers of training so that the dog can rely on both, and it makes for a job that both the dog and the human finds "satisfying" in the outcome. They know how to do things, and when the proper time to do them is (usually with some direction, but often they just know after enough practice.)

Sometimes herding dogs are very reliant on the handler, though, and are known as "push-button dogs" the dog is well trained, and well disciplined, but it may lack confidence or initiative. In this case, it's a chore for a handler because in addition to doing their work to help move the animals, they're constantly having to micromanage the dog.

And in other cases, working dog breeds have great timing and initiative, but they lack training, so they start to invent their own weird dogge-jobs. This is where you get Border Collies that won't let children out of the living room, or Cattle Dogs that snatch a roll of paper towels off the counter before systematically tearing it into a million thumbnail sized pieces, or Dobermans that adopt a doll and treat it like a real baby.