Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"I want to keep on living!"

Holy poo poo those Eva comparisons are so much more apropo than I imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

:FIREWORKS: :FIREWORKS::FIREWORKS::FIREWORKS::FIREWORKS::FIREWORKS::FIREWORKS:

VENI CREATOR SPIRITUS

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and then lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ANTA BAKA?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and you know something, he's right!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Don't worry kyon. I wont let them

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ooh pop music club spotted

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Clap....Clap...Clap...Clap...

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

YEAH!!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

Don't worry kyon. I wont let them

:) :) :)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PARADOX!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Kyon you dog! Hahaha!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Good poo poo. Good, good poo poo. Looking forward to Season two.

...We're going straight into Season Two on Wednesday, right?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Haha he's just trolling the poo poo out of everyone now. This is great.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just the one episode, then a break until the endless eight

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

What Linnaeus said. Here's the rest of it.

In Training posted:

9/2 - Episode 15, Break
9/11 - Endless Eight Marathon
9/XX - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
9/XX - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I'm really upset with myself for not giving this show a chance sooner. It's fantastic.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
To bring up an earlier point again, the Enclosed Spaces and the Celestials (or whatever) are further proof that Haruhi isn't the sort of person that would wish death or real harm on another person. If she really didn't care about the well-being of others for the sake of her own interests, those things would have been stomping through Tokyo like a real-life Kaiju film.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...There are some definite THEMES being thrown about here, and I'm trying to parse them on the fly, and I can't quite do it yet.

I recommend reading the novels Mao II and Underworld, by Don DeLillo, and also the essay "The White Album," by Joan Didion. Cheers

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
After watching, I can't really tell what the benefits of watching in chronological order on your first time through would be. This just seems like it would be a hell of a lot more satisfying all round. Fantastic end to the first series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, not to repeat myself too hard and I'll probably post some more detailed thoughts on this show later, but: When I made the Eva comparison a few viewings back I was just talking about how these shows are actively loving and joking around with the viewer's expectations while still basically meeting those expectations. I didn't expect Haruhi's finale to present what looks like almost the exact same basic thesis as Eva's TV ending. Considering that I really dig that thesis (don't let yourself be defined by poo poo outside of yourself, don't withdraw from the world, don't stop engaging with other people, people don't need some grandiose purpose to have meaning, etc), that was a pretty pleasant surprise.

Command Ant posted:

To bring up an earlier point again, the Enclosed Spaces and the Celestials (or whatever) are further proof that Haruhi isn't the sort of person that would wish death or real harm on another person. If she really didn't care about the well-being of others for the sake of her own interests, those things would have been stomping through Tokyo like a real-life Kaiju film.

To be fair, the closed spaces are still dangerous since they apparently eventually supplant the previous universe. Not that she's shown any sign of being aware of that.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
gently caress I like this show.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

smenj posted:

After watching, I can't really tell what the benefits of watching in chronological order on your first time through would be. This just seems like it would be a hell of a lot more satisfying all round. Fantastic end to the first series.

I can confirm that seeing this show in chronological order on the first watch sucks and is vastly inferior to the way we have been viewing it for the simul. I like this show a lot now, but when I saw it in chron order it was decent for six episodes and then seemed to meander aimlessly until I dropped it around episode eleven.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

don't do it mikuru

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Lucky Channel?!?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah I mean kyon's withdrawal (we'll later see him describe it as "attempting to live his life in obscurity") is obviously very different from shinji's more insecure "I mustn't run away" and Kyon never really needs to learn that he's capable of loving himself or any of that, he's pretty stoic from the get go. what he really learns, over and over again, is that he doesn't want the things he thinks he wants, and that in many cases he's not willing to admit his actual desire to himself. in other words, if he's going to be capable of trusting himself again, he's going to have to come to terms with his own self deception and confront his actual wants. haruhi, of course, has no problem with this, and in that way she's really the one who's teaching him, even still. we're only just beginning to see kyon emerge from his stoic wise guy shell, there's still a lot of him to come.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_2A-D5pzA8

This was the first haruhi amv i ever watched. Looking back, it's not very good :D

The title is unintenionally prophetic though

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Command Ant posted:

Lucky Channel?!?

lol oh yeah huh

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_2A-D5pzA8

This was the first haruhi amv i ever watched. Looking back, it's not very good :D

The title is unintenionally prophetic though

huh maybe they were thinking of the novel in some way? if that had come out yet...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zas posted:

yeah I mean kyon's withdrawal (we'll later see him describe it as "attempting to live his life in obscurity") is obviously very different from shinji's more insecure "I mustn't run away" and Kyon never really needs to learn that he's capable of loving himself or any of that, he's pretty stoic from the get go. what he really learns, over and over again, is that he doesn't want the things he thinks he wants, and that in many cases he's not willing to admit his actual desire to himself. in other words, if he's going to be capable of trusting himself again, he's going to have to come to terms with his own self deception and confront his actual wants. haruhi, of course, has no problem with this, and in that way she's really the one who's teaching him, even still. we're only just beginning to see kyon emerge from his stoic wise guy shell, there's still a lot of him to come.

See, I thought Haruhi was more of our Shinji here. She's the one who, like Shinji, falls into a period of melancholy brought on by feelings of insignificance, and ultimately attempts to withdraw completely from the real world and all of it's problems and people and problematic people - though, to be fair, she wants to be special/be surrounded by specialness where Shinji seemed to desire to be normal and normalcy. Likewise, while...Shinji's friends/Shinji himself/The Author/whoever causes Shinji to realize that his life means something, or can mean something, and decide that he has self worth and that he wants to keep on living, Kyon helps Haruhi to reaffirm her connection with the outside world, and maybe cause her to rethink her ideas of what makes someone/herself 'special' like she's so obsessed with.

...I think. Cut me some slack, I just watched this thing.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

the theme is to overload the world with fun
and yeah I really believe the show takes haruhi's side in a lot of ways. I think the way it's presented backs this up too, everything is made with the point of being as fun and/or interesting as possible. we're in for a dialectic where haruhi's insistence on fun and being interesting at all costs is going to conflict with kyon's affected reasonableness.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

...I think. Cut me some slack, I just watched this thing.

oh no you're doing great, I like your interpretations and that it's your first time, and honestly Haruhi supports a lot of readings.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I had forgotten about most of Melancholy 5 besides Itsuki and the build-up to the big reveal. But there's a nice bit of bookending there - Haruhi's flashback about a baseball game, then the climactic scene in Melancholy 6 is on the baseball field.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Its fascinating how large a role baseball plays in the show.. it's in at least 11/28 episodes. The crowd metaphor is pretty obvious (and cribbed from the DeLillo novels I mentioned) but I think there's a deeper metaphorical significance to it that I haven't really tapped into

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Season 1, a Masterpiece of Anime

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Really glad for this Simulwatch, I probably would have never rewatched the show otherwise and remembered how good it was. Plus, now I get to see Disappearance soon after the rest of it rather than years later.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Kusaru posted:

Really glad for this Simulwatch, I probably would have never rewatched the show otherwise and remembered how good it was. Plus, now I get to see Disappearance soon after the rest of it rather than years later.

So when is endless summer simul?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

So when is endless summer simul?
9/11 :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
On a sidenote, I started reading the post-Disappearance novels. I can kinda see why they did season 2 the way they did since they didn't really have much choice since a lot of the non-animated stories they had available were basically all post-Disappearance and dependent on the development from Disappearance.

• Locked thread