Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

But she still chose to be an empress given the option. I don't see a difference.

I mean for a game where the determination between whether she lives or dies kind of depends on how much you made her feel capable, responsible and could make her own choices; it doesn't make sense that all of a sudden the story would renege on that big thing just because she went to see her biological father.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

There's nothing in the exposition that says that she was forced into becoming an empress over being a Witcher though, so I disagree.

There's a whole rich field of story telling that doesn't involve overt exposition at all.

Doctor Butts posted:

Ok then. So why did she choose to become an empress?

She felt she had to, suddenly, for reasons we're not really privy to. It's all very abrupt and strange.

Doctor Butts posted:

But she still chose to be an empress given the option. I don't see a difference.

I mean for a game where the determination between whether she lives or dies kind of depends on how much you made her feel capable, responsible and could make her own choices; it doesn't make sense that all of a sudden the story would renege on that big thing just because she went to see her biological father.

Emhyr is a skilled manipulator.

And she didn't just up and decide to go visit dad. She did it at Geralt's urging, after reassurances from Geralt that Emhyr really had no plans for her and just wanted to talk.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'm pretty sure other Lodge members are more or less unaffected by whatever Philippa plans, or at least don't care. With possible exception of Francesca, if those plans ever involve Dol Blathanna.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So, no more spoiler tags, eh?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

Oops.

Well, come on, it's been months.

GuyUpNorth posted:

I'm pretty sure other Lodge members are more or less unaffected by whatever Philippa plans, or at least don't care. With possible exception of Francesca, if those plans ever involve Dol Blathanna.

Francesca and Ida have both already bailed on the Lodge, as has Keira by this point.

The only ones still really on board seem to be Philippa, Margarita, and Fringilla.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She does it because she thinks it's the right thing to do and it doesn't really matter if that's what she wants more. There's a pretty big difference in doing something because you feel you have to and doing something because you want to do it. Narratively, Geralt isn't making the decision for her and neither is Emhyr but that isn't really the point. The role you play is in bringing them together in the first place because she has some very real, very good reasons to not ever want to talk to him again. But, again, in the ending where the entire thing is left up to her with no outside influence she becomes a witcher. That's what she wants to do in the books, and that's what she wants to do in this game.

Beeez posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that but at first (I did use them at first). If people want, I can go back and edit them in.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I only had a chance to start playing last month, but fair enough.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I do find it pretty suspicious that she is vehemently against it after initially talking to him but changes her mind after an off-screen correspondence and even then admits she was kind of hoping Geralt wouldn't let her do it.

Feels like something else is going on there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Sigi Dikjstra alone has more personality than the entire cast of dragon age combined. I would love to shake the hand of the person who wrote the dialogs.

The tabby cat that geralt looks at while awaiting for that guys daughter has more personality than most of them.

That's one sassy cat.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

GuyUpNorth posted:

I don't think that's true at all, especially by the time the games roll around. Philippa pulls everyone into her schemes; she's a major reason everyone hates mages. Well, they've always hated mages to some extent but she's definitely made it much worse.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I'm sorry that I didn't complete you Witcher. :( maybe after mgs5....

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the transition between Witcher and MGSV's stories is going to be hilarious. Getting into MGS mode is easy: All of the characters are lying and the actual motive makes no sense and also no matter how good someone's intentions are everything is hosed. But going the other direction, "holy poo poo people's motivations are in line with characters and not the result of some convoluted conspiracy and they're not a clone?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what if it were closer than you think and there were hidden Witcher contract bosses in the postgame like how Peace Walker had Monster Hunter bosses

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Mutagens, son.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

I don't think that's true at all, especially by the time the games roll around. Philippa pulls everyone into her schemes; she's a major reason everyone hates mages. Well, they've always hated mages to some extent but she's definitely made it much worse.

There was a brief glorious period where mages were well respected in the North, even considered heroes.

Then Philippa and Vilgefortz happened.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Sharmat posted:

There was a brief glorious period where mages were well respected in the North, even considered heroes.

Then Philippa and Vilgefortz happened.

I'm kinda confused about this timeline, Phil is 300 years old, isn't she? What the hell has she been doing this time that she isn't already queen of the world/killed to death?

Also, regarding that Yen outtake, how do you even plan to kill the most powerful sorceress anyway? She's been around for 300 years, she's been targeted for death a few times now. Really, how can someone confidently claim she's gonna be taken out?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pik_d posted:

I'm kinda confused about this timeline, Phil is 300 years old, isn't she? What the hell has she been doing this time that she isn't already queen of the world/killed to death?

Also, regarding that Yen outtake, how do you even plan to kill the most powerful sorceress anyway? She's been around for 300 years, she's been targeted for death a few times now. Really, how can someone confidently claim she's gonna be taken out?

Toss a bunch of dimeterium at her. She's powerful, but not invincible. Or else she would still have her eyes :v:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

pik_d posted:

Even a 300 year old wizard with the powers of a lesser god can still have their head removed from their shoulders.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

pik_d posted:

Slap them in dimeritium when they're drained from a huge battle, off with their heads. Mages are tough, but they need time and energy.

Until the last twenty years or so Philippa seemed content to rule from behind the scenes. Also until recently, there were older and more powerful mages to keep people like Philippa in check. After Thanedd, not so much.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Nilfgaard is very good at capturing and killing mages.

I'm actually surprised Emhyr hasn't had Philippa killed actually (And to be frank the only reason Geralt and Yennefer are still alive is because Ciri cares about them so much).

She's clearly a threat to Ciri and a threat to take Ciri away from him and/or make her an enemy. Geralt and Yen wouldn't use her as a political pawn in a power grab against him and you better believe Phil wants to.

I don't remember - is Philippa at Vilgefortz' level? I recall him basically being a demigod. And from the books I think of Yen as being really powerful as well - the game doesn't really show it (though they do show her singlehandedly repelling the white frost and the hunt).

Spite fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 1, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That cut is at least partly responsible for the story problems with the Empress ending.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

pik_d posted:

Letho proved that Witchers are fast enough to gently caress their poo poo up in close quarters due to mutated reflexes and speed combined with knowing where and how to hit. They aren't immune to being stabbed, and dimeritium, as has been mentioned, nullifies magic and makes them super vulnerable. That being said, if you are more than 50 feet from a pissed off sorceress you are pretty hosed unless there are a lot of you.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 1, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You can also just take them out with a cheap shot while they're not looking, unless they've prepared for it ahead of time.

Mages have all kinds of countermeasures they can do, if they're allowed to do them. But they can't do all of them at once, and they can't do them all the time. In the books mages are on occasion thwarted by something as simple as a sudden rock to the head.

EDIT: Oh, and lest we forget: Nilfgaard has an Imperial mage corps. So Emhyr can send mages to catch mages.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 1, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Letho proved that Witchers are fast enough to gently caress their poo poo up in close quarters due to mutated reflexes and speed combined with knowing where and how to hit. They aren't immune to being stabbed, and dimeritium, as has been mentioned, nullifies magic and makes them super vulnerable. That being said, if you are more than 50 feet from a pissed off sorceress you are pretty hosed unless there are a lot of you.

On the other hand Vilgefortz proved that wizards are fast enough to gently caress up Geralt using only a staff.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

sebmojo posted:

The tabby cat that geralt looks at while awaiting for that guys daughter has more personality than most of them.

That's one sassy cat.

The staring contest is quite funny and a quip at the books. Cats can't stand the presence of witchers, but this one isn't scared. Fun fact: Next to mages and dragons, cats are the only non-conjuction beings that can and do draw power from the elements, but nobody knows for what purpose they do.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Snak posted:

The problem I have with death march is that I want to fight guys that are too high level and my damage is gimped. So I can fight them, but I have to evade their attacks for 10 times as long. It's really lame. Just let me have challenging combat that isn't a grind.

Gated content and damage sponge enemies you say?!?!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm glad I just finished the game yesterday or reading the previous page in this thread would have ruined a bunch of poo poo for me.

Ending chat:

Ciri went into 'the light' and ended up in a blizzard. She then had some good memories of Geralt and then we were in White Orchard. We walked and walked and walked and threw a bomb at a bear. Eventually Ciri revealed she was going to Emyrh to become Assistant to the Regional Manager in the little village of Scranton.

From what I gathered on the last page, this is a pretty good ending.

I'm now taking a long rear end break from this game.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

One thing I love about this game is how realistic weather is. Like how you're walking through an area and there's some strong wind blowing and it just feels right. Beats just having "sunny" or "rain".

Also, playing this on surround sound is an absolute delight, especially when you activate your witcher senses. The gurgles, creaks, etc. ambient noises are so good.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 1, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
While that's true, it would be nice if the NPCs also reacted properly to the weather instead of just standing there chilling or picking wheat while a goddamned hurricane is coming down on them

me your dad posted:

I'm glad I just finished the game yesterday or reading the previous page in this thread would have ruined a bunch of poo poo for me.

Ending chat:

Ciri went into 'the light' and ended up in a blizzard. She then had some good memories of Geralt and then we were in White Orchard. We walked and walked and walked and threw a bomb at a bear. Eventually Ciri revealed she was going to Emyrh to become Assistant to the Regional Manager in the little village of Scranton.

From what I gathered on the last page, this is a pretty good ending.

I'm now taking a long rear end break from this game.

The only thing I didn't like about the ending is they clearly couldn't figure out how to resolve Ciri vs Snow God(???) thing and just left it up to the player to imagine. Which I'm never a fan of.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the ending is they clearly couldn't figure out how to resolve Ciri vs Snow God(???) thing and just left it up to the player to imagine. Which I'm never a fan of.

Oh I actually really liked that. There's no way their depiction of Ciri driving back the White Frost could have lived up to the enormity of the situation.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Macaluso posted:

While that's true, it would be nice if the NPCs also reacted properly to the weather instead of just standing there chilling or picking wheat while a goddamned hurricane is coming down on them
Umm (I already set it but in case it doesn't work skip to 4:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMWW31FVCy0&t=255s

Unless you mean some quest-related snowstorm or something in which case I don't remember.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I didn't think it would happen, but I finished the Keira quests with the hunt hounds and I think I'm finally just burnt out on W3. Probably because I did literally everything the first time. madden 16, here I come.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JetsGuy posted:

I didn't think it would happen, but I finished the Keira quests with the hunt hounds and I think I'm finally just burnt out on W3. Probably because I did literally everything the first time. madden 16, here I come.

yeah, on my death march playthrough i just got to skellige and am a bit burnt out because i finished velen first. time for some diablo 3 and payday 2 for a bit. Witcher 3 always being there is great though and im sure i'll eventually finish 3 playthroughs.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Macaluso posted:

Not every single NPC reacts to the weather, but most of them do.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Snak posted:

Oh I actually really liked that. There's no way their depiction of Ciri driving back the White Frost could have lived up to the enormity of the situation.

I think the white frost is supposed to be a sort of manifestation of entropy, and Ciri's power to manipulate spacetime pretty much lets her give entropy the finger. So my interpretation of what happned is that she just shoved sourceless energy into the entropy monster until it stopped being an immediate threat. She's basically pushing back the heat death of the universe.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

mmkay posted:

On the other hand Vilgefortz proved that wizards are fast enough to gently caress up Geralt using only a staff.

Vilgefortz had prep time and knew he was potentially going up against a witcher.

Also Vilgefortz is probably the most powerful mage in the entire series and is bullshit strong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crigit posted:

I think the white frost is supposed to be a sort of manifestation of entropy, and Ciri's power to manipulate spacetime pretty much lets her give entropy the finger. So my interpretation of what happned is that she just shoved sourceless energy into the entropy monster until it stopped being an immediate threat. She's basically pushing back the heat death of the universe.

Okay, people keep saying this. The White Frost might me thematically similar to the heat death of the universe, but it's mechanically something else entirely. "Heat Death" doesn't mean everything just gets really cold. The heat death of the universe is when individual atoms have spread so far apart that they no longer interact with each other. It has nothing to do with entire planets turning into frozen wastelands. The White Frost (in W3) is clearly manifested as a cold wind that comes from "somewhere else". The heat death of the universe is a natural consequence of physics (maybe), while the White Frost is an active force.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The White Frost also explicitly comes from the place between universes in this setting rather than being an intrinsic property of physics.

It does seem to be an energy sink for the universes it's leaking to, though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The White Frost is just the universe where you left the refrigerator open when you left the house, and now there's no stopping it. Your mother warned you this would happen! :cop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Not every single NPC reacts to the weather, but most of them do.

I guess I just never noticed. Every time I'm in a village and it's raining I always see people acting like it's not even happening