Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Kingdom Hearts is a game released in 2002 by Square for the Playstation 2. Developed in conjuction with Disney, it combines the franchises of both companies into its own weird and confusing mess of a universe. The game ended up being a smash hit, having sold over 5.6 million copies worldwide by December 2006 and receiving rave reviews across the board. The success of the first game prompted many sequels, by October 2013 the series had sold over 20 million units worldwide. A few months after its initial release Kingdom Hearts 1 got a Japan-only rerelease called Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. Final Mix added a new boss, gameplay tweaks, several new cutscenes and a entirely new ending. In 2013 an HD rerelease of Kingdom Hearts Final Mix came out for the Playstation 3 called HD 1.5 Remix, which simply upgraded the visuals to HD. We're playing that one.

Kingdom Hearts 1 is an Action-RPG, making for a simple seeming combat system with a surprising amount of depth attached to it. At times it can feel like a slower character action game, requiring reflexes and knowledge of the game's mechanics to tackle some of the later stuff.

The story is about a young man named Sora, who along with his friends Riku and Kairi want to find something more in life. Hijinks are definitely going to ensue!

Hi, my name is FutureFriend and I loving love this game and I love the dumb series that spawned from it. Along with me, my buddies ChorpSaway, killeremcee and a_raving_loon will be joining in on my weird love letter to a videogame designed entirely for pre-teens. ChorpSaway has played most of the numbered games and I sometimes wake him up in the middle of the night to talk about how great Kingdom Hearts is. killeremcee hasn't played this game in years and loon is going in pretty much blind. We'll be providing cut and uncut versions of the videos for those who wanna see the cutscenes untainted.

Oh, I should also mention I've seen like one Disney movie in my life so I might use this as an excuse to watch some and talk about it sometimes.

Hey, are you going to 100 percent the game?

No, but I will do the interesting stuff like optional bosses and of course getting all the endings. Some stuff that will be done for 100% will be done off-screen, mostly because I feel those aren't too interesting to watch, though. We won't be doing Synthesis because gently caress Synthesis

Any reason you're doing this on the hardest difficulty?

I have played this game so many times that normal mode outright bores me. Plus I feel Proud mode essentially forces me to showcase more of the mechanics this game has due to its higher difficulty.

1. No spoilers. Please don't do that coy "nudge nudge" poo poo either.
2. Don't talk about other games in the series either. This is an extension of the first rule but I honestly feel it needs to be said either way.

death cab for .qt understands the true spirit of halloween.

Nyagoto put together a official Darkball X trance mix

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Kingdom Hearts as a series is real dumb (in a good way) so I'm looking forward to this.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
This is the only KH I played to finish and it was such an oddball concept to me back then. It also felt like the FF7 of the PS2 era, as in everyone I knew was all "THIS SERIES IS DEEP AS HELL I FEEL MORE CULTURED JUST PLAYING IT".

The first episode is off to a promising start. Four people and yet the commentary doesn't feel crowded. Defo following this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh boy, anime meets cartoons

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GeneX posted:

This but serious and for real because anime is epic

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My friends are my power!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GeneX posted:

I know isn't it great.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

A while back I tried to play Kingdom Hearts as part of my ongoing dumb quest to play old games I never got to play when I was younger. I stopped after the first 30 minutes and eventually resigned myself to the fact that I would never actually play any more KH.

Basically I'm saying this LP is very timely and I am grateful for its existence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kingdom Hearts forever, a hundred years, www dot Kingdom Hearts dot com, Sora. Just Sora and his adventures with Kingdom Hearts, a hundred days! www a hundred times kingdom hearts dot com, Sora!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
First time I ever played this, I didn't even manage to get through the tutorial.

This wasn't because I was bad at the game, mind, I was playing it at a friend's house and had to leave like 10 minutes after we popped the disc in.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Every Kingdom Hearts fan loved Simple and Clean when they first heard it. Every Kingdom Hearts fan remembers the point at which they got sick of it.

I still love that you can screw your run and make it a slog, and the game tells you in the vaguest possible way when you're in that weird tutorial.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Have fun with this one, are you planning on only doing KH1? If so, GMArcturus is doing the rest of them here. Have fun with this game, I'll be watching it.

Phylaxis
Jun 18, 2012

You've got to open a door?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FutureFriend posted:

Kingdom Hearts is a joint effort by two popular worldwide companies who then decided to give full power to a madman.

I don't think I've ever heard or read a more perfect description of the series. :allears:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 1, 2015

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Have fun with this one, are you planning on only doing KH1?

This thread is only gonna cover the first game. In future I might do other threads for future Kingdom Hearts games but I ain't gonna rush that poo poo.

RelentlessImp posted:

I love this entire series. :allears: A lot of the KH LPs I can't actually watch because they just constantly take the piss out of it, though. I mean yeah, it is such a dumb idea, but they play it straight (for the most part) and turn it into a surprisingly compelling game series. Also, consider putting the videos in a polsy link, so many spoilers in the sidebar.

Put in the Polsy link.

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 1, 2015

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

FutureFriend posted:

This thread is only gonna cover the first game. In future I might do other threads for future Kingdom Hearts games but I ain't gonna rush that poo poo.

Cool cool, like I said have fun, I will be watching.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Also if you wanna have a drinking game for this LP, you can drink whenever you notice a switch between the more expressive and articulate models and the simplistic, face-is-a-moving-texture models during cutscenes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's been so long that the only thing I remember about this game is getting salty that my favourite part of the game basically becomes obsolete partway through :(

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Danaru posted:

It's been so long that the only thing I remember about this game is getting salty that my favourite part of the game basically becomes obsolete partway through :(

You and me both. I've never completed this game either, because I'd always get distracted by other less-overtly anime games.

Edit: Also, I think it's kind of apt that the very first Disney element we see in the game is a stained glass of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, as that was Disney's first feature-length animation.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 1, 2015

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I love this entire series. :allears: A lot of the KH LPs I can't actually watch because they just constantly take the piss out of it, though. I mean yeah, it is such a dumb idea, but they play it straight (for the most part) and turn it into a surprisingly compelling game series. Also, consider putting the videos in a polsy link, so many spoilers in the sidebar.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
For sale, normal shoes, never worn. Seriously my idiot son will not put on regular shoes. Sora. Take off the clown shoes. Sora those are so impractical stop.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

tlarn posted:

Every Kingdom Hearts fan loved Simple and Clean when they first heard it. Every Kingdom Hearts fan remembers the point at which they got sick of it.

I still love that you can screw your run and make it a slog, and the game tells you in the vaguest possible way when you're in that weird tutorial.
I never got sick of it

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
Okay, so, let's assume that traveling to other worlds via boat is a reasonable option. Something that can be done and isn't hopelessly stupid poo poo that these 14-15 year old kids really should be smart enough to realize won't work.

why do they need to build a raft to do it?

Like, they clearly do not live on this island so presumably they have boats to get there, why do they not use one of those to sail into space?

What I'm getting at here is that the game does a very good job of establishing one of the central aspects of the series' storytelling; almost everyone involved is colossally stupid.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Author-Man posted:

Okay, so, let's assume that traveling to other worlds via boat is a reasonable option. Something that can be done and isn't hopelessly stupid poo poo that these 14-15 year old kids really should be smart enough to realize won't work.

Like, they clearly do not live on this island so presumably they have boats to get there, why do they not use one of those to sail into space?

What I'm getting at here is that the game does a very good job of establishing one of the central aspects of the series' storytelling; almost everyone involved is colossally stupid.

How does it feel, to have not an ounce of youthful romance in your tactically realistic soul

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Just wanna point out that I put together a chiptune remix of Simple and Clean for FF to use in case the copyright warning hit on the cut video (it did) but he said it wasn't bad enough for the "true FutureFriend LP experience". I also gave him an instrumental for the song and he refused to do karaoke. What an rear end in a top hat.

In other news I heard this LP is gonna be pretty good I love FutureFriend and his video game videos.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

In other news I heard this LP is gonna be pretty good I love FutureFriend and his video game videos.

rule number 3: chorpsaway isnt allowed to post in my thread with this kind of kiss rear end content

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
*snip*

[No spoilers allowed! -Jordan]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Author-Man posted:

*snip*

[No spoilers allowed! -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 1, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know so much dumb bullshit about KH but have never actually played it so I look forward to this thread. Also I hate Sora's clown shoes so much. I get what they were going for ("Hey let's mix classic Disney cartoon giant feet into our anime design") but god it just does not work at all.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Man that new KHIII trailer where it's revealed that goofy was really a HYUCKness all along was quite a trip eh?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I watched this let's play while blackout drunk and I feel that's the only appropriate way to experience it

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"Just make emotive noise" is basically what Ar tonelico music is, so you might be on to something there.

It's quite impressive how well Square's PS2-era graphics hold up. This still looks pretty good!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

death .cab for qt posted:

I watched this let's play while blackout drunk and I feel that's the only appropriate way to experience it

The only way to experience any LPs tbh

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

--But don't be afraid.

You hold the mightiest weapon of all.

So don't forget:

You are the one--

--who will open the door.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yeah, that's about the depth where men usually start having doubts about going into water.

Does the game end when Sora opens the first door he sees? Will there be a door opening counter?

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
With respect to Utada Hikaru just stringing words together in Simple and Clean: didn't she grow up in New York? I kind of have a hard time believing that she didn't really know English.

If somebody could link to the interview that Voiceofdog Chorpsaway mentioned, that would be cool.

BearJazz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 1, 2015

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
drat, this is some good timing. I just bought the HD 2.5 Remix the other day and was really in the mood to play through that as well as the first one, but I'd started my playthrough of this game back before my old PS3 died and I really didn't feel like playing all the way back to where I was. And then boom, this LP sprang into existence.

I feel a little ashamed right now because, as much as I like this game, I never really put in the effort to farm the first boss for exp like that.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

BearJazz posted:

With respect to Utada Hikaru just stringing words together in Simple and Clean: didn't she grow up in New York? I kind of have a hard time believing that she didn't really know English.

If somebody could link to the interview that Voiceofdog mentioned, that would be cool.

Hi, that was me saying the thing! I can't find the interview right now which makes me believe that I could have been wrong about it. I feel like it was a recent interview but again I could totally be off-base. I found an earlier interview stating that she basically re-wrote Simple and Clean because trying to "properly" translate the song from Japanese to English would be too constricting, and even then she had to change the melody of the song to work for her English lyrics. So I dunno.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Though not necessarily the same thing, Wiki says she had difficulty writing the theme song for Kingdom Hearts because she felt the plot and characters were "soulless" :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

RelentlessImp posted:

Yeah, Kingdom Hearts is fun, but taking the piss out of it is so fun. Yet it's still weirdly endearing and I've played all the games so I have no idea how I should feel about this silly series.

• Locked thread