Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Gerblyn posted:

There's no reason to take hacking in either game, unless you want to. In each game you'll have an NPC you can bring along to handle that stuff if you want. Just make a character the way you want and go for it. The only caveat is to maybe avoid going for a melee character on your first run. The melee vs ranged balance is just bad, melee weapons don't really do any more damage than ranged ones, and ranged fighters aren't really penalized when they attack melee fighters at point blank range, so a melee build can make some sections pretty tough. I had to abandon a playthrough of Dragon Fall since I couldn't do the final battle using my Chi Unarmed guy.

I'd play DMS and then DF afterwards, since I think you'd enjoy DMS more without having first experienced the benefits of DF. If you find yourself disliking DMS after a few hours, then drop it and see if your complaints are addressed in DF.

Yeah melee units are more like weird supporters whose niche is the fact that they punch people out of cover, and have easy access to armor debuffs and stuns. They can hurt a lot but you might run into trouble if you don't put enough points into making them hard to kill.

They're definitely not bad by any stretch though -- punching people out of cover is what makes battles go fast. One thing that took me way too long to learn is that melee characters can actually move and attack at once using just one AP point by clicking on an enemy from range. Somehow, it took me hours to find that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Do I need to know anything new for Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming? I've beaten the first one.

Specifically, is there anything (items, other upgrades, achievements) missable, or can I just go back and do that particular quest again like in the first game?

You can always go back to previous missions for junk, and you eventually get access to a list of collectible titles with hints.

Probably don't try to 100% the game? It's got an absolute ton of stuff in it, and the unlockable skills are all semi-random (the skill needs to trigger n times, with a percentage chance to trigger on every attack)

You have a chance to use equipped skills and skills attached to your weapon, but as far as I could tell those don't stack. always try to have different skills in your slots (this doesn't really matter until chapter 2)

if you need to grind in the overworld, you can stay behind your buddies with the run command. This usually isn't needed, and the in-mission bonus is negligible (and I suspect never required), but you can do it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

VodeAndreas posted:

Shadowrun Dead Man's Switch, I'm a experienced RPG player but no Shadowrun experience, how important is it for me to have hacking abilities on my main character?

I have Dragonfall as well but figured I'd play the rougher game first? Or is it best just skip straight to it and play DMS only if I'm left wanting more.

DMS is pretty easy; you're mostly playing it for the story and atmosphere. The only real challenge in the whole game is the final bossfight.

There's only one spot in the game where you have to go into the matrix, and a guy walks you through it. Other than that it's optional and not too rewarding.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 21, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fargin Icehole posted:

As someone who was gay for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 as a kid, and just Civ 5, what should I know before playing Age of Wonders III?

Mostly you'll be able to pull from your HoMM3 and Civ5 knowledge to figure poo poo out.

Biggest changes, be aware of how to fight with multiple armies and how enemies can use multiple armies to defend their bases. A siege can end up being way more than you bargained for if the enemy has lots of adjacent stacks.

There's some fun mix and match options available with how the race/class combination picks you units. Most of your units are racial but some are class-based. In general like HOMM higher tier units are far more powerful than lower tier units, but you'll just have to get a feel for them, some low tier units are really really good and some high tier units are pretty garbage.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll stick with DMS first and see how I go with a magic/ranged character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh! One thing in SR is to not spread yourself too thin. It's better to be good at one thing than alright at two.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anything for Sheltered?

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Just started KotOR 2 and wondered if there's anything I should know before I get far into it.

vvvvvvvv Thanks! I wonder why I couldn't find it on the game list when I checked.

Sayara fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 24, 2015

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Sayara posted:

Just started KotOR 2 and wondered if there's anything I should know before I get far into it.

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_2

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Getting into Assasians Creed 4 Black Flag on ps4, I'm about 3 hours in when the game starts to really open up. I've never really played any of the creed games. I don't care about missing out on any overworld story, just in it for the pirate stuff.

Any tips to make for a better experience? I've already turned off the minimap because I was 100% watching that. I plan on skipping the personal hp upgrades to help increase difficultly because I've played a lot of arkam style combat.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Captain Beans posted:

Getting into Assasians Creed 4 Black Flag on ps4, I'm about 3 hours in when the game starts to really open up. I've never really played any of the creed games. I don't care about missing out on any overworld story, just in it for the pirate stuff.

Any tips to make for a better experience? I've already turned off the minimap because I was 100% watching that. I plan on skipping the personal hp upgrades to help increase difficultly because I've played a lot of arkam style combat.

The only thing I can think of is you might get discouraged at first fighting ships at sea. I was really bad at it for a while but once you upgrade the Jackdaw even a little bit you will vastly overpower anything you could possibly ever come up against except legendary ships (which are marked as special things on your mini map)

Also, this is kind of cheesy and it sounds like you want a harder experience but once you get Berserk Darts, those can really almost complete missions for you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

unfortunately from what i remember the story missions hand out important items for way too long in the game so you have to play a lot of crap to get some key abilities that make the open world stuff better.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

unfortunately from what i remember the story missions hand out important items for way too long in the game so you have to play a lot of crap to get some key abilities that make the open world stuff better.

Right around when you get the diving bell, I think, is when you're finally finished tutorializing and can fully explore/use everything. Unfortunately, it's in act 5 or 6 of an 8-act game.

Berserk and Sleep Darts are OP. I never got to Rope Darts but I bet they are too. You can honestly just let the darts win the missions for you if you don't give a poo poo; the upgrades are easy, blowgun is silent and instantly effective, and you can craft more ammo out of a single animal bone while you're squatting in a shrub.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

paco650 posted:

Berserk and Sleep Darts are OP. I never got to Rope Darts but I bet they are too. You can honestly just let the darts win the missions for you if you don't give a poo poo; the upgrades are easy, blowgun is silent and instantly effective, and you can craft more ammo out of a single animal bone while you're squatting in a shrub.

Rope darts are fun but they're kinda junk. There's just too much topographical strategy involved in a weapon that's either a theatrical instakill or a lovely plinky ninja dagger you use by accident.

Berserk Darts are great, though. Problem: Kill target without being noticed! Solution: Shoot target with a 'zerk dart, watch him destroy his entire entourage and then die when the poison kicks in.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 24, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Captain Beans posted:

I plan on skipping the personal hp upgrades to help increase difficultly because I've played a lot of arkam style combat.

Protip for AssCreed games: They don't have arkham style combat.

They have dumbed down, practically-can't-fail combat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in BF you can just hold the block button until your health refills if you ever get low and the ai can't do poo poo about it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Rope darts are brutal, you can hang people from trees with them. The only annoying thing about combat in Black Flag is getting shot at (though it's nowhere near as bad as in Unity). If you find this too irritating do the side quest to get the magic metal armour (it's the Mayan collecitbles that lead to it I think) and never ever get shot again. And yes, you can still swim.

OK, so before I start mashing up zombies in Dead Rising 3 is there anything I should know? I've played the first two if that helps.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Way too late but anything on Dark Souls II that won't spoil anything in particular? I just beat the Lost Bastille so definitely not a "before I play" but figured I'd check to see what people here suggest.

Definitely not as magical as DS1, though still pretty cool. The every-boss-is-a-dude-with-a-sword motif is getting real stale, though. Especially in comparison to the imaginative bosses of DS1.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Rope darts are brutal, you can hang people from trees with them. The only annoying thing about combat in Black Flag is getting shot at (though it's nowhere near as bad as in Unity). If you find this too irritating do the side quest to get the magic metal armour (it's the Mayan collecitbles that lead to it I think) and never ever get shot again. And yes, you can still swim.

OK, so before I start mashing up zombies in Dead Rising 3 is there anything I should know? I've played the first two if that helps.

If you've played the first two then you'll definitively appreciate a few of the quality of life changes that have gone into this one from 2. Being able to make weapons on the fly instead of at designated spots is pretty nice. One major thing is that you get points whenever you level up and you can spend those points to increase your various attributes. I personally would increase inventory space as much as you can early on along with health. But don't worry about it to much since you'll eventually get enough points to level everything up anyway.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

KingSlime posted:

Way too late but anything on Dark Souls II that won't spoil anything in particular? I just beat the Lost Bastille so definitely not a "before I play" but figured I'd check to see what people here suggest.

Definitely not as magical as DS1, though still pretty cool. The every-boss-is-a-dude-with-a-sword motif is getting real stale, though. Especially in comparison to the imaginative bosses of DS1.

If you haven't done so already invest in the Cat Ring from Shalquoir. It's not technically necessary but it can make a good number of spots easier to deal with. Also in general it's far more effective to prioritize light armor and mobility over heavy armor and turtling. Turtling behind a shield is far less effective here than it was in the first game. If you have access to ranged damage that can help you snipe troublesome enemies from beyond their ability to react. You can aim your spells by using Binoculars in your off hand to look around and then firing a spell, there's no crosshair but it with some practice you can get a feel of how to aim with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KingSlime posted:

You could search through the thread, it gets asked extremely frequently.

Non spoilers tips for DS2 are the same as any souls' game: Take your time, look everywhere, explore everywhere, if you get stuck try going other places rather than assuming its just too hard, if you have a hard time with a boss try summoning help, don't forget to offer yourself as a summon, you can learn while helping other people and there's no risk of losing anything. Manage your resources, use everything available, and try to be clever.

In particular, make sure you don't ignore adaptability and get your agility up to like ~100. ADP seems to do nothing (not well explained) but it increases the iframes of your roll. If you use roll a lot to avoid damage (most people, unless you're using a tower shield all the time to soak hits) then having more iframes gives you a much easier buffer for the timing on the dodge.

Because of soul vessels you can't gently caress up too much, you can always re-roll your stats later if you change your mind.

Make sure you get a ring of life protection as soon as you can, unlike Dark Souls 1 they're repairable and thus once you get one or two of them, it changes dying from "you lose all your souls if you can't get back without dying again" into "you died, pay a 3000 soul penalty and off you go"

Its the most forgiving of the souls' games IMO, its also got some of the best co-op ability and pvp ability of the souls' series. Some people hate on it but MAKE SURE YOU PLAY THE DLC LEVELS BECAUSE THEY'RE SOME OF THE BEST IN ALL THE SOULS GAMES.

That's all you need to know really.

Oh, and avoid the covenant of champions if you want to co-op at all, one of the things it does (in addition to making the game harder) is make it so you can't summon help anymore at all.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you haven't done so already invest in the Cat Ring from Shalquoir. It's not technically necessary but it can make a good number of spots easier to deal with. Also in general it's far more effective to prioritize light armor and mobility over heavy armor and turtling. Turtling behind a shield is far less effective here than it was in the first game. If you have access to ranged damage that can help you snipe troublesome enemies from beyond their ability to react. You can aim your spells by using Binoculars in your off hand to look around and then firing a spell, there's no crosshair but it with some practice you can get a feel of how to aim with it.

Uh sorry but all of this is wrong or confusing? Don't worry about the Cat ring unless you're looking to go down the well, and that's a low priority for awhile. Even then you can always get down another way ladder dude. Its not something he should be worrying about right away. If you're speed running then yeah, but... he's not speed running.

As for "hiding behind a shield is far less effective" that's flat wrong. Going through pve using a shield is pretty easy. I still recommend sword and board for your first run just like DS1, although some non-shield builds can be really fun too once you learn to let go of the crutch.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 24, 2015

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Stamina depletion is far higher in 2 compared to the first game. If you turtle behind a shield against larger enemies or bosses you are going to get staggered and that will get you killed. It's far more efficient to avoid the attack entirely in the first place. Plus running around in heavy gear is going to have a negative penalty against your stamina regeneration as well. Turtling behind a shield can work but it's not the best habit to have, highly aggressive enemies will chew you up. A pretty good example would be The Pursuer which will simply stagger and decapitate you without remorse if you try to turtle behind a shield. Playing evasive is infinitely more effective. That said you could probably get through the game regardless but you will get grief from some enemies and bosses trying to shield everything.

As for the Cat Ring, it's entirely useful to have for the area the well leads directly to since there's a lot of falling down to lower platforms involved. Mitigating the amount of damage you have to heal off through that section is incredibly useful. Just having the ring around for sections where you need to fall down to narrow ledges for treasure is a good investment as well.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

KingSlime posted:

There is a ton of newbie and not-so-newbie advice in this thread and in the console and PC threads. Things will be a bit different if you're playing SoTFS, but vanilla + DLCs are covered just about entirely.

Consider burning two bonfire ascetics in Majula so you can play Pretty Pretty Butterfly with the armor from Maughlin.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Any tips for Gothic 3 (besides "Get the Community Patch" or "be wary of stunlocking")? I've played though it once, but didn't really have any idea what I was doing, so...

-What are good skills for each "build"? (Fighter, Wizard, Ranger, so on...)
-What are good skills just to have?
-Are there any useless skills?
-Does leveling up do anything besides granting LP? (Like, does it increase your health?)

Also, I feel I might as well ask even though I don't plan on playing it, but anything for Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

Any tips for Gothic 3 (besides "Get the Community Patch" or "be wary of stunlocking")? I've played though it once, but didn't really have any idea what I was doing, so...

-What are good skills for each "build"? (Fighter, Wizard, Ranger, so on...)
-What are good skills just to have?
-Are there any useless skills?
-Does leveling up do anything besides granting LP? (Like, does it increase your health?)

Also, I feel I might as well ask even though I don't plan on playing it, but anything for Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods?

If you get the Community Patch you shouldn't need to be wary of stunlocking if you do it right.

There are two things you need to be aware of when using the Community Patch (and you want to use it): Alternate AI and Alternate Balancing.

Alternate AI you should have turned on as it makes combat much, much better. It revamps the blocking system, and makes animal attacks in particular more reasonable, and interesting.

Alternate Balancing completely revamps the way the game works. Without AB you don't need to worry about "build" as you'll eventually have enough LP to buy everything eventually. (And to answer your last question, leveling only gives you LP) Alternate Balancing increases LP costs for a lot of thing and outright creates skill trees that weren't there to make it a more Gothic 1/2-like experience. It also tweaks almost every piece of equipment in the game, and changes a lot of other minor gameplay elements. AB is great to try for a second playthrough but I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to the game.

In terms of skills, Lockpicking and Alchemy skills should be on every build. The former gets you tons of treasure and the latter gets you healing potions and permanent stat potions. You don't need to go all the way to Impossible Locks though--you can save your Open Locks scrolls and use those instead. Trophy skills are also a good source of cash. Get Learn Quickly as soon as you can for an extra LP per level.

YMMV but staff fighting skills are pretty useless IMO, though the bonuses staffs give are nice. I never really liked Large Weapons much either. Thieving skills (pickpocketing, Make Excuses, etc) are much less useful than in previous Gothic games because of psychic guards that will know when you steal things. Smithing skills are also kind of meh, you can usually buy or find stuff better than what you can make.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What should I know about the first series Avernum remakes, coming from the re-remakes (especially about Avernum 3 and later)? I just finished Crystal Souls and would like to continue the series using the older games.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 26, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Costume Quest 2? I remember the first one being very simple but really hard in a few spots.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for Spider-Man 2 on the original Xbox?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything I should know for Expeditions: Conquistador?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
What should I know about MGSV: The Phantom Pain that wasn't applicable to Ground Zeroes or Peace Walker? I'm already gathering that Fultoning the world is no longer the correct way, because enemies will start shooting down your balloons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

What should I know about MGSV: The Phantom Pain that wasn't applicable to Ground Zeroes or Peace Walker? I'm already gathering that Fultoning the world is no longer the correct way, because enemies will start shooting down your balloons.

MGSV literally just came out. For games like that you're better off reading the specific MGSV thread that is very active, I bet the OP has all the info you want. If not you would get more asking in there.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Captain Walker posted:

I don't think there's anything that the game doesn't explain to you well enough when it comes up. I've played for probably 20 hours and haven't run into them shooting down balloons though, but it is a thing, probably for later areas, or maybe I'm just doing it stealthily enough. I think the map or mission screen has indicators that show what tactics the local guards are using (e.g. night preparedness, helmets, balloon popping, etc). It's mentioned in-game, but if you really, really want to kidnap someone you can call in the chopper and load them up for a guaranteed capture.

Zaphod42 posted:

MGSV literally just came out. For games like that you're better off reading the specific MGSV thread that is very active, I bet the OP has all the info you want. If not you would get more asking in there.

Some people are deathly afraid of spoilers.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Brightman posted:

Some people are deathly afraid of spoilers.

Yup, that's me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

Yup, that's me

Me too, so I'm glad someone asked about it here

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for Spider-Man 2 on the original Xbox?
Buy the swinging speed upgrades or whatever they're called. They're kind of expensive but the difference is worth it.

Be prepared for really bad voice acting and "small children" screaming about their balloons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

Enemies don't shoot down balloons unless they see it and have time to react. If they catch the tail end they'll radio in an alert but unless someone is 10m away and looking right at you they probably won't shoot the balloon. You can totally fulton the world and everything is reset when you replay a mission.

General non-spoilery tips that differentiate the game from Ground Zeroes:

-Night vision is really only functional useful at night. Maybe they can be upgraded to Ground Zeroes style where they're basically permanent Predator-vision but at the start they're not a crutch you can rely on.

-Named areas on the map usually have an anti-air radar that looks like a trailer with a giant dish on top. They're not the same as the comm units which are platforms with a little radar on top. Destroying them lets your helicopter land closer which is useful during side ops.

-You change your helicopter on the customize screen of motherbase. It took me a while to figure this out as I kept looking in the vehicle section of the loadout.

-Pressing triangle while prone plays dead but it somehow reduces your profile to nothing. At night, enemies will practically step over you.

-Holding L1 brings up the commands screen where you can "knock" anywhere. It doesn't require you to be pressed up against a wall so split up guards with magazines and knock to draw them out one by one.

-Flare grenade supply is the best item. You can instantly get your current loadout to top off on suppressors, ammo, and fultons without having to fumble through the menu to call in a supply drop.

-If you overhear people talking about a super fast naked woman at a specific location don't follow up on it. It's story related and comes later. D-Dog on the other hand is easily missed, he's mission 5, take the default drop point. A little up the hill he'll come barking at you.

-If you're strapped for cash then sell off weapon emplacements and unnecessary plants. They're worth quite a bit.

Other than that if you played Ground Zeroes and/or Peace Walker then you're set. The game does a good job communicating how it plays and base management is really hands off with its smart auto-assign until you unlock all the platforms and need to start specializing. You can't miss anything, all missions can be replayed, you don't need to check off every side op or do everything as it becomes available. Play at your leisure and the game encourages it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Walker posted:

If a mission tells you to assassinate someone, no matter how explicitly, don't. They generally have obscenely good stats in at least one field, so Fulton them instead.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Captain Walker posted:

small dumb thing for me was once you press up against cover, you can let go of the control stick and don't have to keep pressing against the wall

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

supply drops knock out snake, enemies, even some bosses if they land on their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I can't believe there isn't an entry for Bloodborne on the wiki. Anything I should know for it? I've played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1/2 to completion.