Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with regdates, I'm aware that you've been registered a bit longer than me. :jerkbag:
In addition to having been registered longer than you, I've been reading this forum for longer than you - how's that?

Now that that's clarified...

quote:

GBS et al. might be the most prominent subfora, however that doesn't mean you should mistake them as being representative of the entire community. High post count or whatever doesn't mean they make up the majority of the actual content on the SA forum. There are far, far more varied and thoughtful subfora like A.I. for example.
Perhaps an analogy will help clarify. When you walk into a house, one of the first rooms you usually enter is the living room. It's the biggest one, and the one in which people spend the most time. You can tell a lot about a house, and the people that live there, by the state of their living room, and what's in it.

GBS is the living room of SA. It's the biggest forum, the one with the most posts, and the one where people spend the most time.

quote:

Just because one idiot yells the loudest doesn't mean he represents an entire population; see, for example, Donald Trump.
Sure. It's also true that while Trump doesn't represent the population of America, he's probably doing incalculable damage to the reputation of America through his idiotic yelling.

quote:

As far as Savington is concerned, why would you even mention that? Have you ever heard of lurking? Why couldn't he just have been reading until feeling the need to post about an important car-safety-related topic?!? :psyduck: WTF dude?
Because I thought it was amusing that he would come out of a multiple-week posting hiatus, foaming at the mouth, to browbeat some track newbie. Then I found out Phone actually messaged him on Facebook, letting him know that some SERIOUS poo poo was going down in the Miata thread....which is perhaps even more hilarious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Since gutbomb was asking. This is what the stock roll bar looks like on my NC miata with all the plastic cladding and other whatnot removed. It ties into the chassis on the left and right sides with two feet that go down to bolt to the 'floor' It's a pretty substantial piece of metal, but I doubt it'd do much in a real rollover.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Trans Ferdinand posted:

In addition to having been registered longer than you, I've been reading this forum for longer than you - how's that?
In addition to being registered longer than you, I've also been reading the forums longer than you - how's that? I mean, as long as you're bragging about your e-dick, you'd better have the package to back it up, as one of our subforums friends found out recently.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Perhaps an analogy will help clarify. When you walk into a house, one of the first rooms you usually enter is the living room. It's the biggest one, and the one in which people spend the most time. You can tell a lot about a house, and the people that live there, by the state of their living room, and what's in it.

GBS is the living room of SA. It's the biggest forum, the one with the most posts, and the one where people spend the most time.
GBS, and forums-SA in general, started out as a no-holds barred insult comedy forum. Trolling, prank calls, making fun of disabled people, nothing was off limits. Sympathy threads were almost soundly used as an incitement to insult the person posting, unless the schadenfreude was too high, in which case seasoned posters would pretend to be sympathetic to milk more comedy from the story. Goons did not donate to charity, goons did not support progressive rights, and goons certainly did not shy away from insults that would be a probatable offense nowadays. GBS today is nothing more than an ADHD-fuelled in-joke at the forum that came after that forum.

And your litte call-out post probably would have been replaced with an E/N icon and you would have been banned.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Sure. It's also true that while Trump doesn't represent the population of America, he's probably doing incalculable damage to the reputation of America through his idiotic yelling.
wut

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Because I thought it was amusing that he would come out of a multiple-week posting hiatus, foaming at the mouth, to browbeat some track newbie. Then I found out Phone actually messaged him on Facebook, letting him know that some SERIOUS poo poo was going down in the Miata thread....which is perhaps even more hilarious.

AI is such a good forum, one of the best car-related forums on the net, because, for the most part, the shitheads like you are kept out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Calm the gently caress down forums posters

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ethanol posted:

Calm the gently caress down forums posters

but i rated this thread a 5 and it lowtax told me to go hog wild

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Sigma X posted:

In addition to being registered longer than you, I've also been reading the forums longer than you - how's that? I mean, as long as you're bragging about your e-dick, you'd better have the package to back it up, as one of our subforums friends found out recently.
I wasn't talking to you.

quote:

GBS, and forums-SA in general, started out as a no-holds barred insult comedy forum. Trolling, prank calls, making fun of disabled people, nothing was off limits. Sympathy threads were almost soundly used as an incitement to insult the person posting, unless the schadenfreude was too high, in which case seasoned posters would pretend to be sympathetic to milk more comedy from the story. Goons did not donate to charity, goons did not support progressive rights, and goons certainly did not shy away from insults that would be a probatable offense nowadays. GBS today is nothing more than an ADHD-fuelled in-joke at the forum that came after that forum.
Sounds like GBS sucked even harder than it does now. Saying "well things were a whole lot worse before, you shouldn't complain!" isn't logically sound in the slightest.

quote:

And your litte call-out post probably would have been replaced with an E/N icon and you would have been banned.
Times have changed, huh, sunshine?

quote:

AI is such a good forum, one of the best car-related forums on the net, because, for the most part, the shitheads like you are kept out.
Looks like they missed one - you're still here.

By the by, I decided to check over the AI rules.

Look what's at the top!

If you read nothing else, read this:
Don't be an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

So I'll make Savington a deal. If he acknowledges that he was an rear end in a top hat, and takes a probation for it, I'll acknowledge that I'm posting no-content and take a probation.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Being called out for stupid poo poo is what this forum is all about. It's pretty much its founding charter.

GBS is also not representative of the forums as a whole because a couple years ago it went through a rules shift that turned it into much more of a free for all than it used to be. I'd say TVIV, A/T, and AI are much more representative.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

So I'll make Savington a deal. If he acknowledges that he was an rear end in a top hat, and takes a probation for it, I'll acknowledge that I'm posting no-content and take a probation.

For Lowtax so loved the forums he gave his only begotten son, that those who shall believe in him shall not be banned, but have an everlasting posting career.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

GutBomb posted:

For Lowtax so loved the forums he gave his only begotten son, that those who shall believe in him shall not be banned, but have an everlasting posting career.

Speaking of Lowtax: didn't he make a thread recently (the "eagle thread"?), imploring goons to be nicer to each other? Not surprisingly, it fell flat.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I took the liberty of finding photos of the NC and its perfectly functional factory rollover protection (You can improve it to SCCA spec, if you want to remove the roof and maybe the trunk)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 1, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

Is your stock HU still one of those that takes the Ford-style extraction tools? If so, I've seen people successfully turn coat hangers into those tools, but it could just be that you just don't have them in the right shape to catch the tabs on that one side. I think one side gave me a little difficulty (with the actual tools) but I remember getting it out by wiggling the tools. You might just need to pony up the few bucks for the real tools if you can't get someone to loan them locally (is this the kind of loaner tool AutoZone or similar might have?)

Yeah, that's the one I have. I actually did use a cheap drycleaner's coat hanger, but they're a bit floppy and It's really difficult to tell if it's going into the right hole (:v:). I doubt any stores would loan it, but I'll be at a club meet soon so someone there might have one.

Rhyno posted:

In my 2006 there is a single bolt on the left side of the HU that you have to get at from under the dash. It's a huge pain in the rear end but a wobble extension did the trick.

Thanks, mine's an NB but it's a pain in the rear end as well as you can seel.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lol at this rollbar chat. To think it was a no-brainer...

edit to contribute: I need brake pads for a car that is a daily, but I drive it relatively hard. Plan on getting SS brake lines at the same time.

I was thinking of getting the Hawk HP+, but have heard dust is crazy off them. Is there a big difference between the HPS and HP+? Will I be disappointed in the HPS if I ever try an Auto-X?

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 1, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you don't get a roll bar it's likely to be a no-brainer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The HP+ make a bunch of noise and dust (but it's non-corrosive), but they stop fairly well.

The HPS is a god drat joke and get outbraked by the cheapest of vatozone off-brand ceramics.

vvv - high end ceramics dust white... which might not be good in your situation :v:

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 1, 2015

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Is there a good brake pad that doesn't make a ton of dust because holy poo poo whatever the PO of my NC installed is dusty as hell. Good thing I have black wheels.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Trans Ferdinand posted:

My brother introduced me to SA in 2000. I have no idea how he found it because we had only recently gotten broadband and were both pretty young at the time. :shrug: You've probably been reading A.I. longer than me, though; I wasn't even old enough to drive back then.

That's a pretty dumb analogy. There's nothing in my living room other than a couple of couches and end tables, a TV and some multimedia gear; it's the most generic living room. You wouldn't be able to tell that I'm into cars, music, electronics, games, military history, or anything specific; there's literally nothing there. Terrible analogy. Again, GBS et al. are by no means the primary subfora and where most members of the large SA community spend their time. A better analogy is that they are the kiddie table, and the discussion subfora are the den/office/whatever, where the big boys go to chill, and/or get the actual work done.

The only people who take Trump seriously are the ones who are actually considering voting for him. Everybody else recognizes him as a performance artist.

Again, it's not a "posting hiatus." He was busy or uninterested. Phone told him GutBomb was asking about racing without a roll bar so he warned the guy against it very strongly. There's no browbeating, no being an rear end in a top hat. It's literally an important safety topic, and needed to be communicated in strong terms. That's it.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, that's the one I have. I actually did use a cheap drycleaner's coat hanger, but they're a bit floppy and It's really difficult to tell if it's going into the right hole (:v:). I doubt any stores would loan it, but I'll be at a club meet soon so someone there might have one.

http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Lincoln-Factory-Stereo-Removal/dp/B0081ST4V4

$4 for the tools. I think they're worth it even if you only use them once. Certainly allowing me to get behind the HU and install that GROM was totally worth it for me.

And baby, if you're not putting it in the right hole she'll tell you. ;)

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 1, 2015

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I use the pbr/axxis ultimates and they dust like a motherfucker.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Regdates? Heard we cared about those again.

Anyway, had a crazy old man spend 20 minutes convincing my wife and I that the rollbar was literally going to murder us all by snapping our spines as our helmeted bodies flew upwards in the seat and smashed against it, then our flailing arms would be caught under it and mangled. He was a big fan of the windshield frame being the best rollbar ever.

So listen to the crazy old man rant or don't. I think the rollbar looks cool so its staying.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Trans Ferdinand posted:

If you read the loving thread you would have seen that he explained why he was being a dick to gutbomb.

We've all moved on from it so you can go ahead and gently caress off now k?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

want to hear about my insurance claim instead? I do too, the insurance company never called back about that police report..... :ohdear:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ethanol posted:

want to hear about my insurance claim instead? I do too, the insurance company never called back about that police report..... :ohdear:

The only lovely, shifty insurance adjuster/company I have ever run into has been USAA.

EDIT: Meant non-lovely, non-shifty.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 1, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sigma X posted:

The only lovely, shifty insurance adjuster/company I have ever run into has been USAA.

That sounds contrary to pretty much everything I've ever heard about them. But this isn't the insurance thread and doesn't need further derailed into the loving ground.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Anyway, had a crazy old man spend 20 minutes convincing my wife and I that the rollbar was literally going to murder us all by snapping our spines as our helmeted bodies flew upwards in the seat and smashed against it, then our flailing arms would be caught under it and mangled. He was a big fan of the windshield frame being the best rollbar ever.
The OEM 'rollbar' is worse than nothing, and even a solid proper rollbar is nothing but an additional hazard in any crash that doesn't involve a rollover.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

The OEM 'rollbar' is worse than nothing, and even a solid proper rollbar is nothing but an additional hazard in any crash that doesn't involve a rollover.
The sense I get is that we're all not going to live

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Shut the gently caress up about reg dates. I've been here since it was UBB.

leica posted:

If you read the loving thread you would have seen that he explained why he was being a dick to gutbomb.

We've all moved on from it so you can go ahead and gently caress off now k?

If he actually read the thread he would have known this is a topic that has come up multiple times in the past. Tracking a Miata without extra rollover protection is mind bendingly stupid.

In other news, mine looks like an insect now.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 1, 2015

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Am I being naive here or can you just put a bunch of foam on your rollbar if you're worried about bumping your head on it in an accident?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Am I being naive here or can you just put a bunch of foam on your rollbar if you're worried about bumping your head on it in an accident?

If you see roll structures with padding around it, it's padding to make sure that your helmet doesn't fail if it hits the cage. You can't deform/depress it with your hands and I can only imagine that hitting your bare head against it isn't too dissimilar from banging it against the bar itself. A good analogy is using seat belts in conjunction with airbags (SRS = Supplementary Restraint System).

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

SFI foam is better than a hard bar, but you're still going to get knocked up pretty good.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

FatCow posted:

Shut the gently caress up about reg dates. I've been here since it was UBB.

If he actually read the thread he would have known this is a topic that has come up multiple times in the past. Tracking a Miata without extra rollover protection is mind bendingly stupid.

In other news, mine looks like an insect now.

This looks fuckin' neato. Does the tape or whatever allow the headlights to come through at all or not?

Doesn't matter, clearly a track car, just curious.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
No idea, there is no bulbs, or wire, or headlight switch.

I'd guess they would glow if there were headlights in there. It's just a coat of spray paint.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone else get a rage PM from Trans Idiot? How the gently caress can somebody that's probated still send PMs, what the gently caress.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

leica posted:

Anyone else get a rage PM from Trans Idiot? How the gently caress can somebody that's probated still send PMs, what the gently caress.

MIATA MEEGAMANTHREAD - Raging about Rollbars

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey Trans Ferdinand I know you're reading this, stop sending me PMs because I'm deleting them you moron.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the strangest thread to have a breakdown about the degeneration of the forums in.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

This is pretty much what I thought was going to happen. If I remember correctly, you were in touch with the other dude's insurance, and they were totally going to pay you after looking at the police report. :rolleyes: It's not particularly in their best interest to just hand out money, and they think they can get away with not paying because some people might not even pursue it due to being non-confrontational.

That's why I have to insist on getting your own insurance involved, even though you're not at fault. THEY will have your back, and will take the other insurer to court (or at least arbitration) to get the loving money. It essentially turns into you filing a claim with your own insurance, and being responsible for the deductible, and them giving you a check for the difference; meanwhile your insurance pursues the reimbursement of the total sum (including your deductible, which is eventually returned to you.) It's called subrogation, and it may take a while to complete (several months) but you'll at least have most of the money pretty soon (from your own insurance.)

There's nothing else you can do. Even if you didn't want to tell your own insurance about the collision because it's not your fault, they'll still find out anyway, and ultimately this is what you've been paying them for. It's their turn to do their job and GIT YO MONEY!

I suppose you could try to hire these guys though: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=ta3781&s=7 :drat:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
After much patience I found my car again. For those who don't remember, I had a blue 06 sport that got killed in a flood. I ended up chasing an '08 PRHT GT and an '06 GT and bought the '06. Its the same amazing blue as the last one:

On the stock wheels, what are the fattest, grippiest tires you guys recommend? The tires are at their tread warning so I'll be replacing them soon and that is basically the one performance upgrade I'll likely get for the foreseeable future.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
I've been having trouble being able to heel-toe with shoes on in my NA6. I'm 6'1" and I have to take my shoes off to do any sort of fun driving in the car. Funny story, I have arrived at work twice now without shoes because I thought I had a pair in the trunk.

I took the driver side visor out and interior door handle (this thing) out but it looks lovely without something in it's place.

I want to do something like the strap replacement shown in the regular car guy miata review:

Did that dude just make that or is there something I can buy? Also is taking the foam out of the bottom of the seat (oem 90) a good move or should I just buy a sparco or some poo poo?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Check Rev9 for all of your siqqq JDM interior needs.

As for not being able to heel toe, go get another set of pedals or bend the current ones so that you can. One is way less permanent than the other, just sayin'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Oh come the gently caress on, how can you not be posting those?

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Heel toe

for me it's more like

more like big toe, pinky toe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Oh come the gently caress on, how can you not be posting those?

Maybe If IOC says it's ok, I don't really want to derail the thread any further with his bullshit psycho babble drama.

[edit] deleted a bunch of PMs from him this morning, dude is insane in the membrane.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 2, 2015