Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i will fight for the latinos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Share if you agree, like if you disagree

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
capps where did you fall on the Snowpiercer debate?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EccoRaven posted:

capps where did you fall on the Snowpiercer debate?

a brilliant movie that balances being a parody of white savior narratives while delivering a fun action romp, two thumbs up

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a passing mcdonalds customer gave me a friendly smile and being the kind person i am i attempted to give one back.

i say attempted because because i somehow blew air into my cheeks instead.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

a passing mcdonalds customer gave me a friendly smile and being the kind person i am i attempted to give one back.

i say attempted because because i somehow blew air into my cheeks instead.

Rookie move capps, you should have immediately started telling them about LoGH and Polar Bear Cafe'.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mr Capps where do you stand on the "Mr. Capps eats poop/Mr. Capps is no cannibal" debate.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

mr.capps posted:

a brilliant movie that balances being a parody of white savior narratives while delivering a fun action romp, two thumbs up

hmmmm I could see that.

I saw it as a parable for the necessity of authoritarianism because I figured Evans was actually the bad guy to Swinton's anti-hero.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i liked that it was a post apoc movie without being a 'lone guy wandering through desolate wasteland meets up with a band of survivors and-' story. i could die happy without ever seeing/reading another of those.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Snowpiercer was a genuinely bad movie imo

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hey let's get that one last signup for our fantasy league :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EccoRaven posted:

hmmmm I could see that.

I saw it as a parable for the necessity of authoritarianism because I figured Evans was actually the bad guy to Swinton's anti-hero.

gilliam and wilford are basically directors and editors. evans is the hero of the story they are both creating, but of course they also want him to be the new guy in charge.

like just look at yona and minsu. they are both literally plot devices in the beginning, minsu opens doors and yona has powers. but yona ends up revealing the inner mechanics of the narrative, and minsu literally derails the entire movie with the train.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Snowpiercer was a genuinely bad movie imo

I am definitely leaning on the side of bad good movie (i.e. a movie that tries to be good but does not succeed), but it's a very fine line since it actually was a lot of fun, and if I had fun does it matter whether it was "good bad" or "bad good"? a question for philosophers.

mr.capps posted:

gilliam and wilford are basically directors and editors. evans is the hero of the story they are both creating, but of course they also want him to be the new guy in charge.

like just look at yona and minsu. they are both literally plot devices in the beginning, minsu opens doors and yona has powers. but yona ends up revealing the inner mechanics of the narrative, and minsu literally derails the entire movie with the train.

hmmmm maybe we can merge our perspectives together and say it's about the necessity of authoritarianism but how white supremacy is an inherently unstable version of it?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I wish I had time/was allowed to play mafia at work. I miss being a terrible forums-game based poster!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the problem i have with that reading is that i believe minsu is suppose to be the hero of the story

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It certainly tried to be good and it definitely wasn't so your definition has merit. It wasn't funny, it was shallow, it didn't have any characters I remotely cared about, it didn't draw me into the setting and it most certainly didn't have any interesting messages to find.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
george miller and bong joon-ho remind me of a lot of each other

they both enjoy incidental accidents and seem to approach action and violence in similar ways. nux tripping reminded me of the scene where the dude falls on his rear end in the host.

tho miller seems to be more visual with his surrealism while bong joon-ho prefers tonal shifts to add his

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
minsu literally killed all humanity in the name of freedom

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It seemed like it was vaguely ripping off of The Good The Bad The Weird but the magic wasn't tgere

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

For real, this has to happen.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

wb capps

taste sent me music yesterday and it made me think of you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EccoRaven posted:

minsu literally killed all humanity in the name of freedom

its the most heroic act in the film, he just misjudge how big of a boom it would be

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tremendous Taste posted:

When is the draft / what is the buy-in? I'm in four leagues so can't promise to pay super-close attention but if you need one last person, I can play :)

If someone else wants the spot I will cede it to them.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I have a setup ready to run where everyone is my favorite cartoons from the 80s 90s and 00s.

I'm not gonna run it yet though because there's lots of games in signups right now.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's a free league so it's just to add a trophy to my shelf

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

When is the draft / what is the buy-in? I'm in four leagues so can't promise to pay super-close attention but if you need one last person, I can play :)

If someone else wants the spot I will cede it to them.

afaik, right before week 1 starts, no buy-in

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

I have a setup ready to run where everyone is my favorite cartoons from the 80s 90s and 00s.

I'm not gonna run it yet though because there's lots of games in signups right now.

I was gonna say "what if you hate cartoons," but then I reread your post and they're your favorite cartoons, which, okay.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it was actually about a train driving through an icy world and people on the train killing each other. it was a fun movie, and i feel bad for people who cant enjoy fun things because they are too busy deciding what is right or wrong with them.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I just watched Kung Fu Hustle and loved it. There are fun movies that are good, derp. Countless. I'm sorry you don't realize the snow train movie isn't among them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

uranus posted:

it was actually about a train driving through an icy world and people on the train killing each other. it was a fun movie, and i feel bad for people who cant enjoy fun things because they are too busy deciding what is right or wrong with them.

it is a fun movie and part of that reason is bong joon-ho enjoys playing with his audience

everyone should go watch mother, i assume everyone has seen the host

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

mr.capps posted:

its the most heroic act in the film, he just misjudge how big of a boom it would be
nope authoritarianism is presented as both morally AND practically correct since it keeps humanity alive. the use of human bodies as replacement for tools is gross so the train wouldn't last forever (which represents the inherently instability of white supremacy). but after another year or so it'd be obvious the world was warming and an Evans Conductor would consider orchestrating escapes instead of revolutions (helped by his perspective from being in the tail), and then the train would eventually break down and they'd all leave the train and then humanity would be: Alive; have Social Structure; Resources to rebuild; and have Multiple Free Communities (due to previous escapees).

idk I think I just really liked tilda swinton's character. it's a shame she's a polanski-apologist because otherwise she'd be one of my favorites.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
im glad i have the capability to enjoy more things than you #feelingblessed

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

It seemed like it was vaguely ripping off of The Good The Bad The Weird but the magic wasn't tgere

racist

but i dunno that seems like comparing apples to oranges
(the guy who did that movie also did tale of two sisters which is probably my favorite horror movie)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Derp enjoys murdering people. I do not.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
in the context of the mafia discussion thread, i sure do

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Derp why do you enjoy sniffing farts that's gross

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EccoRaven posted:

nope authoritarianism is presented as both morally AND practically correct since it keeps humanity alive. the use of human bodies as replacement for tools is gross so the train wouldn't last forever (which represents the inherently instability of white supremacy). but after another year or so it'd be obvious the world was warming and an Evans Conductor would consider orchestrating escapes instead of revolutions (helped by his perspective from being in the tail), and then the train would eventually break down and they'd all leave the train and then humanity would be: Alive; have Social Structure; Resources to rebuild; and have Multiple Free Communities (due to previous escapees).

idk I think I just really liked tilda swinton's character. it's a shame she's a polanski-apologist because otherwise she'd be one of my favorites.

also i don't think minsu killed everyone
all because we only see the two kids doesn't mean they arent more survivors.

i like the cuddly polar bears

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pinterest Mom posted:

wb capps

taste sent me music yesterday and it made me think of you

hi pin, im not back just in a mcdonalds with my laptop but thank you for the welcome

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ahhh, derp stop liking Ron Paul, there are lots of okay politicians turn left!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nooo! Derp! Surely you don't like mayonaise on chocolate?! What the heck!!!