Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
if you feel the same way about movies as you do about politics, then i'm sorry for your loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The point is that liking more things isn't really a good thing. You don't seem to like the post apocalyptic snow western for any particular reason so your handwaving is pretty silly.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

But then again politics are also mainly entertainment so maybe I do

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
really the miller and bong joon-ho parallels hold up most when you compare snowpiecer with babe: pig in the city.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
baaa raaam kronooool

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
diqnol we arent playing mafia right now you know, you're not going to get my lynched

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I consider you an open minded person, am I wrong to assume that?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean both are these really bleak pictures about society and leaders

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 27, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
pig in the city is probably millers best film after fury road, it certainly beats the first mad max and i think it edges over the road warrior

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yes i am open mind. especially when it comes to entertainment, it seems

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the farmers dance in babe, and babe saving the dog from the river in city are two of the most powerful moments in film

the later causes me to cry every time

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofAkQBWnndU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Murmur Twin posted:

When is the draft / what is the buy-in? I'm in four leagues so can't promise to pay super-close attention but if you need one last person, I can play :)

If someone else wants the spot I will cede it to them.

Help pmom! I can add your email

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
honestly babe should probably replace articus flinch's place in the canon of american heroes especially now that the guy is a racist or something

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
of course babe isn't really an american hero, but more of a world hero
hence why the big city is a combination of all cities

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3aspoQwTU4
see ya guys

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Murmur Twin posted:

When is the draft / what is the buy-in? I'm in four leagues so can't promise to pay super-close attention but if you need one last person, I can play :)

If someone else wants the spot I will cede it to them.

i will be drafting Super Bowl Sam Bradford with the first pick in the draft

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

JakeP posted:

i will be drafting Super Bowl Sam Bradford with the first pick in the draft

New England is going to rise up in the face of the NFL's bold character assassination attempt on Tom Brady, and as such my fantasy sleeper picks are all of the Patriots.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Bye capps. You will be missed.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Im drafting Ted Wells for my defense

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Snowpiercer is quite good. I don't think it's pro-authoritarian at all. That's all I have to say at this time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Guys I think I have to vote Liberal and that makes me sad.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'd try to talk you out of it but it might be counterproductive :v:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Snowpiercer was ok, it was a little bit silly but it was mindless fun at times.

I thought the ending was dumb though.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Snowpiercer bored me so I'm going to find every copy of it and destroy it. Including the copies inside Netflix.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

same except replace liberal with Donald Trump and sad with super stoked

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asiina posted:

Why, did Justin Trudeau smile at you?

I really wish we didn't have three left wings parties, I'm a bit worried that nothing will change

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Vote for Bernie Sanders.

Or satan with a write-in vote

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

same except replace liberal with Donald Trump and sad with super stoked

Trump/Hulk 2016

There won't be any competition once Hulk decides to take out the democratic candidates.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Still looking for players for Conversion Mafia. Prove your adaptability as a Mafia player.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Why, did Justin Trudeau smile at you?

I really wish we didn't have three left wings parties, I'm a bit worried that nothing will change

I'm NDP in my heart of hearts, but it looks like it's a Liberal vs Conservative riding and gently caress the conservatives.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

A recent Environics Research Group poll indicates that the Liberal Party could lose two of its safest federal Ontario seats to the NDP should an election be held now - a stunning result that comes just as an election may be launched as early as this weekend.

In the riding of Kingston and the Islands, the NDP is at 37 per cent, running neck and neck with the Liberal Party, which has the support of 36 per cent of decided voters. The Conservative Party is at 23 per cent, and the Greens stand at five per cent.
http://ontarionewswatch.com/onw-news.html?id=914

:angel:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Asiina posted:

I'm NDP in my heart of hearts, but it looks like it's a Liberal vs Conservative riding and gently caress the conservatives.

vote green instead asssna

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Every election I write on the ballot "MAKE [CURRENT GOVERNOR] EAT A BUG"

Even if it isn't gubernatorial.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Every election I write on the ballot "MAKE [CURRENT GOVERNOR] EAT A BUG"

Even if it isn't gubernatorial.

That actually counted as a valid vote for De Blasio.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Trump/Hulk 2016

There won't be any competition once Hulk decides to take out the democratic candidates.

hulk is a real american afterall

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am concerned about Mafia. The past few games I've opened struggled to get players (save for Clarent's Calamity where I invited ~a dozen of them, most of them non-active players), and it feels like most games opened in the past few weeks/months have similar struggles. I don't think it's from oversaturation either: votefinder is only tracking three games right now, totaling 26 players (assuming no crossovers, and I know there is probably a handful).

This thread also feels quieter.

There is always a drop in participation in late august/early september as people go back to school and stop playing until they get a handle on their new workloads, but this feels more severe somehow.

Am I crazy? Do others feel this is the case as well? Is there a way to see what community participation was like this time in previous years?

If it's true then I think we should brainstorm ways to attract new players. Historically we did GBS games once a year but those aren't really tenable anymore (or are they? I don't go there but I assume it's the same). I am also wondering how much click traffic we got through Little_Mac's banner ad last spring. Have mods who have used the TG Game Recruitment Megathread had good turnout from it?

A queue system for games would also be effective at managing game flow.

Would advertising on other mafia forums be fruitful? We kicked butt in the 2+2 games but afaik nobody was so impressed they shelled out $10 to join us.

I dunno maybe I'm just being concerned over nothing but things just feel a lot slower lately and I worry for the longterm.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

I am concerned about Mafia. The past few games I've opened struggled to get players (save for Clarent's Calamity where I invited ~a dozen of them, most of them non-active players), and it feels like most games opened in the past few weeks/months have similar struggles. I don't think it's from oversaturation either: votefinder is only tracking three games right now, totaling 26 players (assuming no crossovers, and I know there is probably a handful).

This thread also feels quieter.

There is always a drop in participation in late august/early september as people go back to school and stop playing until they get a handle on their new workloads, but this feels more severe somehow.

Am I crazy? Do others feel this is the case as well? Is there a way to see what community participation was like this time in previous years?

If it's true then I think we should brainstorm ways to attract new players. Historically we did GBS games once a year but those aren't really tenable anymore (or are they? I don't go there but I assume it's the same). I am also wondering how much click traffic we got through Little_Mac's banner ad last spring. Have mods who have used the TG Game Recruitment Megathread had good turnout from it?

A queue system for games would also be effective at managing game flow.

Would advertising on other mafia forums be fruitful? We kicked butt in the 2+2 games but afaik nobody was so impressed they shelled out $10 to join us.

I dunno maybe I'm just being concerned over nothing but things just feel a lot slower lately and I worry for the longterm.

I agree with this, it definitely feels like there is a downturn in both players and activity lately.

I think we need to run another GBS game. Also we need to have more role simplistic games where players feel that they have agency. Role heavy games give certain players HUGE impacts on the game, and then players expect that to happen so they just wait around for someone to either claim results or fake claim results and dont actually read the thread to gain clues through small textual discrepancies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It is definitely quieter. And I definitely don't participate much anymore. Speaking as a mostly absentee, it's just a time factor for me and I like to be able to commit fully and participate to a high level. And I have a terrible problem of spending all day F5ing the thread in case anyone posts and it takes up all my attention and I get no work done. It's unhealthy for me to play Mafia.