Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, is the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato any good? I just stumbled across some stuff talking about it, and I might be down for a Yuki-centric show if it's not all Rei-clone fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, is the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato any good? I just stumbled across some stuff talking about it, and I might be down for a Yuki-centric show if it's not all Rei-clone fanservice.

It has some good moments but it's pretty boring. Not a ton of fan service, but there is some. The change in art style takes some getting used to.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's pretty bad. I wouldn't watch it until after the real disappearance movie anyway

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's not nearly of the quality of Melancholy, it's a cute, quiet, slice of life romantic comedy that happens to feature the characters from Melancholy.

If you wanted more hanging out in the club room bits, with more romantic "when will they talk to one another about their feeling?" moments, and nothing supernatural whatsoever, then you'll enjoy it. If you want more Melancholy in the style of Melancholy, you'll hate it.

I liked it overall, but it's far from the best show I've ever seen. It's not a waste of time or anything, but don't expect it to be something other than what it is. You'll know by the first episode or so if you want to keep going.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's not nearly of the quality of Melancholy, it's a cute, quiet, slice of life romantic comedy that happens to feature the characters from Melancholy.

If you wanted more hanging out in the club room bits, with more romantic "when will they talk to one another about their feeling?" moments, and nothing supernatural whatsoever, then you'll enjoy it. If you want more Melancholy in the style of Melancholy, you'll hate it.

I liked it overall, but it's far from the best show I've ever seen. It's not a waste of time or anything, but don't expect it to be something other than what it is. You'll know by the first episode or so if you want to keep going.

It's bad because it wants Kyon to end up with Yuki

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's tough to have an existential crisis at age 12.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's bad because it wants Kyon to end up with Yuki

It's understandable. He never sees Haruhi with a ponytail.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Hell yes he does

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, what did Yuki say? The text isn't subtitled for me.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Even the last scene of the episode we just watched

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

Hell yes he does

I think we're having a confusion here because we're talking about the 2015 Disappearance of Nagato Yuki, not the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

It's brief, but she and Koizumi do the gym clothes thing in episode 3, so Kyon does get a short amount of ponytail Haruhi. Mea culpa!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's quite a spectacle

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I might be down for that. I like all the post modern, viewer-screwy vaguely-existentialist poo poo in Melancholy, but I could go for something that goes a bit harder on the warm fuzziness with this set of characters. I'll probably give the first episode a try after we finish Melancholy and the movie and go from there.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I might be down for that. I like all the post modern, viewer-screwy vaguely-existentialist poo poo in Melancholy, but I could go for something that goes a bit harder on the warm fuzziness with this set of characters. I'll probably give the first episode a try after we finish Melancholy and the movie and go from there.

imo the best spinoffs are the onas, particularly haruhi chan, although they're very different from both Haruhi and DofYuki. I think you can watch most of haruhi chan now without worrying about season 2 spoilers? I seem to remember it being made before season 2 but I really have no clue, it's been a while.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I think we're having a confusion here because we're talking about the 2015 Disappearance of Nagato Yuki, not the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

It's brief, but she and Koizumi do the gym clothes thing in episode 3, so Kyon does get a short amount of ponytail Haruhi. Mea culpa!

Oh lol

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

haruhi-chan is a really good spin-off

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

imo the best spinoffs are the onas, particularly haruhi chan, although they're very different from both Haruhi and DofYuki. I think you can watch most of haruhi chan now without worrying about season 2 spoilers? I seem to remember it being made before season 2 but I really have no clue, it's been a while.

It was made before season 2

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Well, I just marathoned the last six episodes, time for one last effort post for season 1

im gonna quote my original post that got people to say i should actually watch this series again, first

me posted:

Instead of having a show that's actually like, interesting and has stuff happen, they just have the gimmick of the different episode orders so the show appears to have more going on than it actually does, overly animated fight scenes that don't matter but sure look neat and really catchy theme songs so the show can spread memetically (edits of hare hare yukai or whatever comprised about half of nico nico in 2006).

In retrospect the reason I said nothing happened in this show is because I only remembered the first two episodes the fact that the movie/music/video game eps existed and all of the supernatural stuff. This was from start to finish an interesting show, mainly because it manages to avoid all the poo poo I hate from other shows in the same genre and actually has subtlety in it's characters and direction. like the actual characters are pretty one dimensional but it's done well and not everything has to re-invent the moe wheel, as it were.

in particular haruhi is a real cutie and really she stops being The Worst after like three episodes, when i was bitching about that stuff before people were talking like shes that way throughout the whole series but she wasn't really, she wasn't even like a generic tsundere or anything. kyon was cool too and unlike other characters of his archetype I only wanted to slap him because I knew he can do better, although i'm not sure how much of my enjoyment of him wasn't just my eternal love for crispin freeman. the other characters kinda just exist to be props the main two spring from but that's fine, they were pretty cool anyway.

different episode orders is actually an even bigger gimmick than I previously though b/c i have no idea how this show works with the chronological order, the plot episodes only work if they have the filler they do put inbetween them to offer context/contrast. like maybe i'm missing something but it seems like kyon finally fuckin kissing haruhi would be forced as hell without all of the scenes from the later episodes that actually have them interact, and after the story stuff it would just be endless slice of life with no conclusion because that already happened.

the supernatural stuff is still stupid as heck, i stand by that. it's cute to add spice to scenes but whenever it takes over the focus of the episode it becomes dumb, even if it ties into the characters in neat ways it's just a weird tone shift that i don't really think is done well and kyon somehow being able to avoid the other alien girls attacks in particular broke my suspension of disbelief pretty bad, like when she's fighting yuki she's hella fast why did she take her drat time before.

this show still looks neat and those songs are still really catchy

so TLDR you won haruhists, i like your anime, time to watch fuckin season 2

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 1, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

so epic

pretend i quoted all the gifs. I might be with in training, this might be my fav single episode

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

so TLDR you won haruhists, i like your anime, time to watch fuckin season 2

nice this is what it's all about :satan:

hope you can make it through season 2 buddy

were you the guy who said there was no real spectacle? I hope you liked melancholy 6!!

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 1, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Now that we have passed Melancholy 4 I can post this gif. :toot:

(It's from the Yuki spinoff that isn't that good apparently)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Zedd posted:

Now that we have passed Melancholy 4 I can post this gif. :toot:

(It's from the Yuki spinoff that isn't that good apparently)

I also like Black Flag, Asakura

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Linnaeus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_2A-D5pzA8

This was the first haruhi amv i ever watched. Looking back, it's not very good :D

The title is unintenionally prophetic though
Think this was the first one I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47r-GDpd6TM

Then shortly afterwards saw that Skittles one previously linked a while back.

Linnaeus posted:

haruhi-chan is a really good spin-off
Yes, this. It's the wacky fun-times adventures of the SoS-dan; basically slice-of-life anime filtered through Haruhi's mind.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How good is Bokurano by the way?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

How good is Bokurano by the way?

it was too depressing!!!!!

The main cast of characters were good and I remember liking their interactions, but the politics bored me

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Itzena posted:

Think this was the first one I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47r-GDpd6TM

Lol, this one makes really good use of the god knows scene

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This is probably the only AMV I've ever liked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PFmLKBSWw
Except for the anti-humor "outtakes"

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So... Favorite episodes or scenes from the first season?

Obviously everyone loves the climax of Melancholy VI. But:

SHUT
UP
SHAMISEN

always makes me smile.

Sagittarius has been my favorite ep for a while but I will admit Live Alive is a new contender after this rewatch.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Agronox posted:

So... Favorite episodes or scenes from the first season?

Obviously everyone loves the climax of Melancholy VI. But:

SHUT
UP
SHAMISEN

always makes me smile.

Sagittarius has been my favorite ep for a while but I will admit Live Alive is a new contender after this rewatch.

I've always loved Nagato's explanation scene in Melancholy 3. It looks amazing and is also a pretty cool bit of exposition.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Live Alive

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

yes.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

kyon's cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpSRlEn9gWY

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Day of Sagittarius remains my favorite episode, but I'll be damned, it's not an easy choice to make.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Someday in the Rain was really nice and chill. I don't know if I'd call it a favorite, but it was nice in a different way from a lot of the other episodes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

fav moments (rip pg 45)

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zas posted:

(rip pg 45)

It was worth it.