Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

I would be fine with burning the blood scrolls, but not as an offering. Just a normal fire to remove something evil from the world.

I just printed ten copies of this post and burned them in my backyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:siren: Link to Update

BoneMonkeys Post-History

Come join us in IRC! #madgod on synirc.net - The topic of the day is origami.
Direct Mibbit Link

ED

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 2, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tsyni posted:

I just printed ten copies of this post and burned them in my backyard.

Keep trying, I'm still here.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I don't believe El would be upset at the burning of blood magic scrolls. Burning evil artifacts is entirely El's thing: you break into a demonic fort, you take the evidence of their atrocities, horrible things they've butchered people to create, and you destroy them in the name of El, putting them on El's altar and burning them in El's honour.

I'd be very curious to see what happened if we sacrificed the full orb, if it worked it would probably be spectacular, but I'm afraid that smashing them and releasing what's inside, so close to the giant's territory, would alert something there more than that it would piss off El.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Theglavwen posted:

I don't believe El would be upset at the burning of blood magic scrolls. Burning evil artifacts is entirely El's thing: you break into a demonic fort, you take the evidence of their atrocities, horrible things they've butchered people to create, and you destroy them in the name of El, putting them on El's altar and burning them in El's honour.

I'd be very curious to see what happened if we sacrificed the full orb, if it worked it would probably be spectacular, but I'm afraid that smashing them and releasing what's inside, so close to the giant's territory, would alert something there more than that it would piss off El.

Diogines posted:

Yooouuuuu shaaallllll nooooooooot....

The tighter you grip the invisible substance, the slower the speech and the more your teeth rattle. Finally when you let go, your teeth cease to rattle and the voice has a normal speed again.

....climb the Mountain while you still desire to live for it is the Demesne of the Dead. Yet when you tire of life and your Struggle grows too great and yet you triumph over all foes before you and perish not, then and only then, climb the Mountain and know you will not descend again.

There will be no endless bondage among you and you will hold none of your brothers, fathers or sons in bondage for more than 50 years, nor the brothers, sons and fathers of your brothers, sons nor fathers.

You will not drink the blood of any man, nor eat of the flesh of any man, nor roast, nor cook, nor consume it in any manner or mixture.

You will not use a man, living, nor dead, nor the flesh nor the blood of any man as a sacred offering, nor a furtive offering, nor shall you use it in a Qorban for any other purpose.

You will not use the flesh nor blood nor spirit of any man for sorcery for I swear unto you, it is seen by They Who Watch and- the voice grows louder an the trees begin to shake, Snarls runs behind you, afraid, the light of the obelisk turns to flame and burns brightly and with great heat

-JUSTICE SHALL DESCEND UPON YOU IN FIREY VENGEANCE AND WITH GREAT WRATH, FURY AND ANGER IMMOLATE YOU, YOUR OFFSPRING EVEN UNTO THE FINAL GENERATION, YOUR LAND AND ALL OF YOUR WORKS LEAVING NOT EVEN DUST.

That seems pretty clear cut to me. The scrolls are almost certainly not a suitable offering, and most likely the filled soul gems too. The empty ones may or may not be, as we don't really know what's involved in their construction.

The safe option is just not to sacrifice any of it and risk seriously pissing off El when we have plenty of offerings we can give that we know for a fact to be more than acceptable.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Eh, fair enough. Though I feel like there's a difference between using the blood of a man as a sacrifice, vs. using something that's been steeped in a man's blood, or has otherwise profaned and used it in its creation. Like, would we get in trouble for sacrificing a weapon of the enemy's that still had human blood on it? It's not the blood we're sacrificing, it's just ... there. Still though, you're right, the stone was pretty clear (even if that's Zepa talking and not El), and even if there does turn out to be a difference, we're probably better off not trying it.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We could sacrifice the imaginary beast we made and toast up some yummy sandwiches (whatever those are).

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
EG

Don't sacrifice stuff with human blood on it, or anything that contains a soul.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Eh, Zepa was talking about using blood and souls for sorcery, not as offerings. I'm just going on the fact that human sacrifice is The Biggest Sin, and our culture paints with a pretty broad brush on this subject - cremation is not a thing, just because it resembles using people for burnt offerings.

But yeah, I'd be fine with just burning the drat things. I only took them to deny their use to the enemy.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
1. What do you sacrifice?
W. Something else. Fill in. *One Blooded Bronze Arrow*
+
S. One of the clay jars filled with a large scroll that you stole... borrowed... took from Amalek.

2. You have time to implement one of the following to assist with the fight. Which of the following do you want to do?
D. Giants are very, very big. And they probably hate falling on their faces just as much as everyone else. Dig a series of small holes in your preferred battle site and fill them with wooden spikes. Hopefully you can get a few of the giants to trip or stab themselves.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 2, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
1F
2B

Our donkeys seem just about our most practically valuable resource right now.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

UppaTree posted:

Eh, Zepa was talking about using blood and souls for sorcery, not as offerings. I'm just going on the fact that human sacrifice is The Biggest Sin, and our culture paints with a pretty broad brush on this subject - cremation is not a thing, just because it resembles using people for burnt offerings.

But yeah, I'd be fine with just burning the drat things. I only took them to deny their use to the enemy.

Diogines posted:

You will not use a man, living, nor dead, nor the flesh nor the blood of any man as a sacred offering, nor a furtive offering, nor shall you use it in a Qorban for any other purpose.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
It looks pretty clear cut to me, don't offer blood magic made-items. If we're still unsure, we can always bring them back and ask Zeb what would be appropriate. We don't have to sacrifice them now.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Theglavwen posted:

I'd lean toward this as well. The will and intent of those words is "Don't sacrifice people to El."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
TD

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Theglavwen posted:

Eh, fair enough. Though I feel like there's a difference between using the blood of a man as a sacrifice, vs. using something that's been steeped in a man's blood, or has otherwise profaned and used it in its creation. Like, would we get in trouble for sacrificing a weapon of the enemy's that still had human blood on it? It's not the blood we're sacrificing, it's just ... there. Still though, you're right, the stone was pretty clear (even if that's Zepa talking and not El), and even if there does turn out to be a difference, we're probably better off not trying it.

I feel like this is similar to the situation of the corrupted Scorpion grove from our days apprenticing under Aaron - a fruit tree is awesome and don't harm it, but if it has become corrupted just put it out of its misery and be quick about it. We likely wouldn't offer a sacrifice of the corrupted fruit - so we probably shouldn't offer up a corrupted scroll (or soul) either.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
1. H&L
2. B

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I can't think of any bigger sacrifice to make for Enkidel currently than one of the scrolls of writing we got from Amok. They represent all we want to accomplish with Kavodel and more. It is information we will never get back. We might not have gained it from large hardship (although we did loose a man to the hunger demon guarding it) but it's worth to us personally is beyond measure. At least for the part of Enkidels Psyche that is me.

We own a silvermine. We own a city. Gems and treasure are basically worthless to us.

1:S
2:D

Uriah: Can you read the scrolls with your new powers?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

1.J
2.D

The clear crystals don't seem to have souls in them, so they should be fine to sacrifice. And I really don't know what is best for 2, but as soon as the giants know we are here I don't think the javelins will work, and improving our common balls effectiveness would just be a drop in the bucket.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
1. E
2. D

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
S

El and the melachim know us and they know what we want. The treasure is worthless and the souls can't be sacrificed but knowledge is what we came here for.

B

I would really like it if our men survived.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Lets sacrifice our memories of Ur and our family.... But not Asahel.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
1. W. O + K + P G a couple of our own feathers (removed where the balls can't see).

2. B

Voliun
May 31, 2012
S + B

Knowledge is power and more valuable than riches.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I like how people will blithely suicide in spectacularly idiotic fashion but Us forbid we try something new that might give us more info like sacrifice some power stones.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Let's say we sacrifice something we're not supposed to, and the best case scenario happens - the sacrifice is rejected, and we get a polite message telling us not to do it again like when we tried to sacrifice the Norcs.
How's it going to look to our Balls when, prior to their first battle with the giants, our offering fizzles. It will disastrous for morale, and many of them would probably take it as a bad omen. It's not what we want to have just before what could be a reasonably tough fight.

There's a lot of potential downsides to sacrificing these things right now if it goes wrong, and I don't see what benefits they would have over other options.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
On the other hand we could sacrifice the souls of our enemies to our unappreciative fake God.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Easy, then we sacrifice a normal sacrifice and the orbs, so at least something goes through.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1J2D

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Like I said, I'm in favor of sacrificing the gems because of the symbolic full circle.
We came down here hoping to make allies out of the Giants and establish Giant/Zepath trade relations. And we know that isn't going to happen. In an alternate ending (or however Diog is organizing this), it didn't happen in a spectacularly wrong fashion.
Saccing the gems also represents us saccing the idea of making friends with these Giants, and our naivety leading into this.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

1: J
2: D
We can't use the orbs for anything good, and making giants fall down is funny.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Poldarn posted:

:agreed:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Poldarn posted:

What if we are fighting another hunger demon? An orb could save the soul of one of our balls, to be released at a later date when it's safe. That seems incredibly useful.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I can't think of any bigger sacrifice to make for Enkidel currently than one of the scrolls of writing we got from Amok. They represent all we want to accomplish with Kavodel and more. It is information we will never get back. We might not have gained it from large hardship (although we did loose a man to the hunger demon guarding it) but it's worth to us personally is beyond measure. At least for the part of Enkidels Psyche that is me.

We own a silvermine. We own a city. Gems and treasure are basically worthless to us.

1:S
2:D

Uriah: Can you read the scrolls with your new powers?
Uriah is unable to make anything of them.

He could not understand Amok either.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Practicing amateur necromancy on people we can't obtain consent from seems like a great idea.

For all we know default state of carrying around a phylactery is their souls get ripped apart when they try to go to Mt. Har after a normal death.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I change my vote on 1 from O to I + O + W: One of our Bronze Arrows.

I think the bronze arrow sacrifice is actually the best idea.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I can't think of any bigger sacrifice to make for Enkidel currently than one of the scrolls of writing we got from Amok.

Yeah, except we don't own those. They don't belong to us. We borrowed them without asking. You don't go steal one of your neighbour's cows and sacrifice it to El.

The guy that owns them may come ask us for them someday. It would be pretty lovely if we had to tell him we sacrificed one to a god he doesn't worship.

Voliun
May 31, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, except we don't own those. They don't belong to us. We borrowed them without asking. You don't go steal one of your neighbour's cows and sacrifice it to El.

The guy that owns them may come ask us for them someday. It would be pretty lovely if we had to tell him we sacrificed one to a god he doesn't worship.

This convinced me to change my vote to I+O + W: One of our Bronze Arrows.

Here's hoping that El won't be angry for sacrificing this. It worked out well for that golden idol last time.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

the_steve posted:

Like I said, I'm in favor of sacrificing the gems because of the symbolic full circle.
We came down here hoping to make allies out of the Giants and establish Giant/Zepath trade relations. And we know that isn't going to happen. In an alternate ending (or however Diog is organizing this), it didn't happen in a spectacularly wrong fashion.
Saccing the gems also represents us saccing the idea of making friends with these Giants, and our naivety leading into this.

I agree entirely with this sentiment, though I'm only going to vote to sac half of it. Maybe we can donate the other half to the Kavodelian people when we get back. A handful is enough to feed a farming family for years it said, if our personal plans for the money failed I'd still like to use some of it to improve lives somehow.

As for an actual vote, 1. D, 2. C. Kind of interested in the hole digging options, but I have irrational visions of them snagging our own balls or otherwise being used against them. I don't think javelins will be much use, but even if the giants can block them they'll still at least force them to do so, restricting their movement and opening them up for attacks from other quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Tsyni posted:

What if we are fighting another hunger demon? An orb could save the soul of one of our balls, to be released at a later date when it's safe. That seems incredibly useful.

We don't know near enough about how souls or these orbs work to be mucking around with them. Hopefully someday we find out!