Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PE2 had more varied mechanics and weapons. Every weapon in PE1 is basically identical and the magic is a lot more poorly balanced. It's still fun, especially due to the customization, but I think PE2 is mechanically better designed.

Also it has way better NG+ modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wanderer posted:

They've been going very grass-roots lately, which isn't a terrible idea.

Cynically, it probably makes sense to make themselves look like they're closer to the ground after the RE6 backlash. They're also putting a lot into the fighting-game community as part of the run-up to SF5. Conversely, this is only going to play into the illusions of consumers who think they have more of a say in Capcom's day-to-day than they do.

Hasn't Capcom been doing really, really badly lately? To the point that I wouldn't be surprised if they work in a tiny office space with one shared bathroom that only has a 50% chance of actually flushing and has a vending machine that may or may not be stocked that week and monthly company birthdays are all celebrated one day a month with only one cake?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
cant wait to have the alternate costumes and hunk and tofu be paid dlc

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ImpAtom posted:

PE2 had more varied mechanics and weapons. Every weapon in PE1 is basically identical and the magic is a lot more poorly balanced. It's still fun, especially due to the customization, but I think PE2 is mechanically better designed.

You're probably right but at the time there were already RE games and while PE1 was uneven and poorly balanced, the setting (gasp! Contemporary NYC) and story were pretty cool.

Also I liked the whole concept of ATB with movement, it was very proto FF12.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The setting for PE1 was just so unbelievably amazing, you can't get much cooler in a video game than fighting the dinosaur exhibits in the Museum of Natural History.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Calaveron posted:

Hasn't Capcom been doing really, really badly lately? To the point that I wouldn't be surprised if they work in a tiny office space with one shared bathroom that only has a 50% chance of actually flushing and has a vending machine that may or may not be stocked that week and monthly company birthdays are all celebrated one day a month with only one cake?

Nope. I have a handful of effort posts strewn around the forums about this, but the short version is basically as follows:

They had a problem for a while where they weren't quite as profitable as they would have liked to have been, and they have the same problems that are currently endemic to the Japanese games industry (still scrambling to catch up to the eighth generation of consoles; demographic crisis threatening their workforce; major talent drain to independent studios; immense cost of triple-A development), but Capcom is in many ways healthier than any other Japanese studio that you care to name.

The issue is largely one of public relations. The Fukushima quake and the rolling brownouts that followed blew a big hole in Capcom's development schedule, which gave them some cash flow problems, and they made some unpopular decisions as a result: overpowered DLC for SFxT, hastily adding Chris's campaign in RE6 in an attempt to pull in Call of Duty fans, the Devil May Cry reboot by Ninja Theory, Ultimate MvC3 being released as a separate SKU rather than DLC. Their reputation took a series of strong hits as a result, which culminated in a lot of people who were willing to believe that the company was having cash flow problems, as some kind of immediate karmic backlash for whatever sin the company committed against one franchise or another.

If you actually look at the sales, it's a much rosier scenario. SF4 sold 8 million physical copies across its three releases, Monster Hunter 4 is the sixth best-selling title in the company's history, RE6 has shipped something like five million units, Dead Rising 3 made a nice profit (1.2 million sold as an Xbone launch title, which isn't nothing), and Capcom made a small fortune by releasing some of its back catalog on Steam at the start of last year. It's actually an interesting story; the company itself remained profitable despite not releasing anything new for the first half of 2014, entirely off the strength of digital sales on Steam. The "HD Remaster" of the GameCube game sold a million copies in January of this year, all of which were digital copies of a 13-year-old game, which means Capcom's chunk of that was almost entirely profit. The only real duds in Capcom's recent history are Lost Planet 3 and the US release of Dontnod's Remember Me; I've heard that last game sold as few as 60,000 physical discs nationwide. Even DMC, for as much poo poo as people give it, sold more than a million copies before its recent rerelease.

This isn't to say that it's all roses and lollipops at Capcom, naturally. Their booth at E3 this year was anemic as hell, consisting mostly of various rereleases and Street Fighter V. They're putting a lot of their money into SFV in the name of expanding the international fighting-game community, with a big pot bonus for professional competitors. When you compare them to Sega, or Konami, or even Square Enix, though, Capcom is doing very well, and it's hard to ding them too hard for being risk-averse in this climate.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Just in case anyone is interested, our dear old friend is still around and still doing his thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNXQKbDyI0

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

abagofcheetos posted:

The setting for PE1 was just so unbelievably amazing, you can't get much cooler in a video game than fighting the dinosaur exhibits in the Museum of Natural History.

Square Enix still hasn't topped themselves for pure atmosphere compared to the PE games. Even 2, which I didn't enjoy as much, oozes atmosphere.

New York is my favorite JRPG setting.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I'm kind of dreading the inevitable introduction of enemies with ranged attacks to the Attack of the Giant Monsters events, but it least I'll have to do something other than crouch and shoot. I anticipate spending a lot of time taking cover in that little grotto between the beaches.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh. Apparently there's going to be a Resident Evil stage play? The website is here but it's in Japanese. This is the article I saw which gives the plot as there being an outbreak at a school in Australia where Chris and Piers meets up with Rebecca Chambers, who's now a teacher. I gotta say, that's an interesting place to bring back a character who's been missing for so long.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does Code Veronica HD have the updated control scheme that REmake HD has?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Does Code Veronica HD have the updated control scheme that REmake HD has?

Nope. It's a very barebones HD port.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

catlord posted:

Huh. Apparently there's going to be a Resident Evil stage play? The website is here but it's in Japanese. This is the article I saw which gives the plot as there being an outbreak at a school in Australia where Chris and Piers meets up with Rebecca Chambers, who's now a teacher. I gotta say, that's an interesting place to bring back a character who's been missing for so long.

I'm surprisingly pumped about this, I love Chris and Piers being bros and Rebecca Chambers getting to come back as a professor of all things is actually pretty cool. I hope they're true to the source material and Chris sends a zombie home to mommy with a rolling DDT

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. It's a very barebones HD port.

That's a shame.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Geight posted:

I'm surprisingly pumped about this, I love Chris and Piers being bros and Rebecca Chambers getting to come back as a professor of all things is actually pretty cool. I hope they're true to the source material and Chris sends a zombie home to mommy with a rolling DDT

A couple years ago I was pondering how to reintroduce various characters. I was thinking of a game split between Rebecca (as a doctor who decided that fighting monsters and poo poo wasn't her thing after the mansion and gets dragged into this and plays more survival horror) and Barry (who I figured would play more action-y because of loving course he would). Apparently I was pretty much right on, I should have tried to ingratiate myself with Capcom back then. I kinda wish this was one of the CG movies, I doubt that I'll get much chance to catch a stage play, which is a shame since I always liked Rebecca.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Geight posted:

I'm surprisingly pumped about this, I love Chris and Piers being bros and Rebecca Chambers getting to come back as a professor of all things is actually pretty cool.

Glad to see she put her double-major to good use, now the real question is what the conversation between her and Chris will be.

"Rebecca? You're alive?" "Yes Chris, after both mansion incidents and Raccoon City I said 'gently caress that noise' and moved to the place where you would think an outbreak would be the least likely thing to happen. But here we are"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

catlord posted:

Oh man. When is the musical coming out?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I'm just hoping that at some point they will do a recorded performance of the stage play and I will be able to purchase that recording for my own viewing pleasure, but I admit I'm not super-familiar with how common that kind of thing is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This actually isn't wholly without precedent. There were a couple of audio dramas well back in the day that never made it out of Japan, and while their canonicity is questionable, they did at least introduce one character that sort of made it into the games (Christine Henri, CEO of Umbrella France, who's responsible for sending HUNK after the G-Virus in the first place). They tried a lot of different ways to make a Resident Evil "expanded universe" right at the rear end end of 1998, and none really took.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

can't wait to see stage play chris 'cuz lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's pretty common for a lot of stuff. Most major Japanese franchises have an 'extended universe' of dubious canonicity. It's an easy way to sell stuff and if anything gets popular they can grandfather it in without much trouble, and if it isn't then they can just ignore it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this image and have no idea why it's being hosted on deviantart, but in the comments for that article someone claimed that this was the cast for the RE stage play.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You're all laughing now, but when you hear Mansion Basement played by a full orchestra, you will know true beauty.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

So RE0 is getting a Wesker mode apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7XWWJeLXro

Edit: RE0 is also getting a bundle physical release with the REmaster if anyone is interested.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Edit: RE0 is also getting a bundle physical release with the REmaster if anyone is interested.

As if there weren't already enough games I wanted to buy coming out in 2016.

I'm excited!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's called the Resident Evil: Origins Collection. You can get it for PS4 or Xbone in North America on January 19th or in Europe on the 22nd for $39.99. RE0 is being offered standalone as a digital exclusive for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbone at $19.99 / €19.99 / £14.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WqMgvt96wA

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So RE0 is getting a Wesker mode apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7XWWJeLXro

Lovin' that eye laser he's got going on.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So were actually getting a game mode that replaces Billy Coen with Wesker? That's not why I was excited about Zero.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone was excited about RE0?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone was excited about RE0?

I'm excited for it now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

It's called the Resident Evil: Origins Collection. You can get it for PS4 or Xbone in North America on January 19th or in Europe on the 22nd for $39.99. RE0 is being offered standalone as a digital exclusive for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbone at $19.99 / €19.99 / £14.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WqMgvt96wA

Why is Rebecca with him

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Why is Rebecca with him

Look at her outfit in the promotional render. She's got the P90 jewel from RE5 in the center of her chest.

Bison's going to show up with a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cool as Wesker mode is, I'd have preferred it if his partner was William Birkin and the objective of the mode is to find popcorn and booze for watching Rebecca and Billy get owned by anime leech dead man through security footage night.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Cool as Wesker mode is, I'd have preferred it if his partner was William Birkin and the objective of the mode is to find popcorn and booze for watching Rebecca and Billy get owned by anime leech dead man through security footage night.
:agreed:

Alternatively, we get Wesker and Birkin playing through RE0 so Marcus could, you know, actually fight the people he was mad and not two random strangers who stumbled onto his revenge plot featuring weird opera-powered leeches.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

AradoBalanga posted:

... his revenge plot featuring weird opera-powered leeches.

Incidentally, I love Resident Evil.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I prefer PE1 cause it feels like an actual RPG, PE2 feels like a bad RE clone.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

PE2 is literally the best resident evil gameplay wise and i am not joking one bit
it's about equivalent to dino crisis 2 in being fun + still maintaining the cool environments
really it might actually be my favorite classic RE style game next to 3

weapon mods + psychic powers are awesome

just like wesker's face in the wesker mode promo:

dude is just like 'what is this poo poo'

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

"You're not Jill, what the hell?!"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Should have made her Blonde too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Huh. Apparently there's going to be a Resident Evil stage play?

I can only picture this as a rock-opera about picking locks.

Seriously though if one of the songs is "The master of unlocking" I'd watch it.

Fereydun posted:

just like wesker's face in the wesker mode promo:

dude is just like 'what is this poo poo'

Seriously 99% of the reason she looks so stupid here is the exposed thighs. It's 20-loving-15 can't game designers risk giving a female character pants? Tactical armor with gaping holes (in a spot where you have veins that will bleed you out in seconds, no less) looks silly and has always looked silly.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 2, 2015