Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Agronox posted:

It was worth it.

I would also add:

yeah I missed a bunch of stuff from that episode for some reason?? but its also got a lot of my favs

man the ultra tilt flip rotation thing is so cool when asakura tells kyon she's gonna shank him. other movies and shows must do that, right? I'm drawing a blank but it's such a cool technique

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ok we're linaeus compliant again. how ironic... to be destroyed by the very gifs you create

anyway everybody WELCOME TO SEASON 2

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

agreed

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

"I'd rather become accustomed to happily drinking tea in the scent of dust" - Kyon "John Smith" [name unknown]

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

someone already posted this right? cause if not enjoy hare hare yukai while you still can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7bQG6LcMDY

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NzMueOMLA

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i wish they decided if they wanted it swung or not mein gott

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 2, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmIhtZBNQU
it's like I'm inside Lucky Star

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Agronox posted:

So... Favorite episodes or scenes from the first season?

The adventures of mikuru asahina, space waitress.

It's in my top 3 for "best first episodes", because it's both a fantastic way to tell you everything this show is about and nothing that this show is about, and how good they are at making it look lovely.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hello I'm in love with aya hirano's elbowy dancing

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 2, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

good bye season 1. I will always love you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZgihTHAkQ8

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 2, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Agronox posted:

top 5 would be

1. someday in the rain
2. adventures of mikuru asahina
3. live alive
4. melancholy 4
5. boredom

but every episode is good.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Someday in the Rain was really nice and chill. I don't know if I'd call it a favorite, but it was nice in a different way from a lot of the other episodes.

i guess the ending is nice but someday in the rain works for me because it isn't chill at all? or at least uses its atmosphere subversively? imo. it is really oppressive and the way that the characters are framed in empty spaces or against the urban landscape gives it this pervasive sense of loneliness (which is like i've said what i think the show is all about) that's only really matched by endless eight and the first act of the movie. the way they make all the characters look tiny gets back to the thematic points made in melancholy 5 too about how insignificant a person can feel when confronted with a crowd

anyway i've suggested that the series makes allusions to the work of taiwanese director tsai ming-liang before in here (whose movies are basically 'about' the same things i think the series is about) but i think this quote is pretty self-evident about how i think they're connected

quote:

I want to express the failure of erotic desire to be realized in contemporary urban space. I would like to make my films about disappearing, like The Skywalk is Gone [2002] and Goodbye Dragon Inn. The whole theatre is disappearing in that film! This subject is important to me because society changes so fast and everything disappears so fast - historical sites, culture. One day I walked to the area where Lee Kang-Sheng was selling watches [in What Time is it There?], and I realized that ‘the skywalk is gone.’ It happens in Asia like that, things just disappear. People in their forties have no way of finding traces of their childhood. Modern people are afraid of disappearance. Living in Taipei, for example, we constantly have to deal with compelling visual change. We ask the question: what do you love the most? Who do you love the most? You will lose them - it will happen in modern society. My films ask the question: how we can face the disappearance? The loss?

endless eight and the movie make this more explicit. also he's also known for his use of long takes and rain as a metaphor which are both prominently featured in the series.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 2, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

dailydares posted:

top 5 would be

1. someday in the rain
2. adventures of mikuru asahina
3. live alive
4. melancholy 4
5. boredom

very good list, all were probably my favorite at one point, except, I'm truly ashamed to say, boredom, which is not in my top tier, probably because of personal failure on some level

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

when I'm bored some day I'll look into this tsai ming-liang guy, who knows maybe you're on to something

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 2, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

you should. his movies are good. i'd start with what time is it there? and goodbye dragon inn. wayward cloud, vive l'amour and rebels of the neon god are also excellent entry points. his latest movie stray dogs is available to stream on netflix but its also his most obtuse so far, i would not recommend starting there. one of his short movies walker is on vimeo https://vimeo.com/49339358

his movies belong to a movement that academics and people on the internet have tried to codify called slow cinema. they're movies that utilize atypically long takes, minimal dialogue, nonprofessional actors, expressive sound design, and usually concern themes of isolation or alienation in urban or rural landscapes. they move at a snails pace with subtlety and repetition and usually come to a cathartic end. the watered down pop version of this aesthetic would be something like lost in translation.

i think endless eight works within a similar temporal framework but in a different way because there is more action, but the same concepts (chantal akerman's jeanne dielman, 23 quai du commerce, 1080 bruxelles may be a better point of comparison from that perspective then) which is why the best way to watch it is in a marathon.

i do think that something is there but i'm probably just looking for confirmation bias at this point. i also think the series is influenced by the writing of don delillo, thomas pynchon, and joan didion, the installations and video art of douglas gordon, and the movies of michelangelo antonioni, andrei tarkovsky, and chris marker. i am likely just insane. but thank you for considering entertaining me.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm starting to anticipate 9/11 way too much.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

mario maker vs endless 8, who will win the hearts and minds of goons?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

a visual representation of the conceptual level of the haruhi some of us will watch on 9/11:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

meanwhile some will undoubtedly think

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 2, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That was beautiful.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That was beautiful.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i probably won't be able to simulwatch tonight because i'm already committed to seeing the big lebowski with my friends. gently caress balls

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

How much does it cost for a paint style like that

I want it

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

idk. they are decals i think. you can probably get them custom made at any print shop worth its salt. that was on craigslist and the guy was selling it for like $3k cuz the engine block was hosed and it wouldn't start lol

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

This would be great, but thousands of dollars? lol

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

i probably won't be able to simulwatch tonight

The next episode has my second favorite scene in season 2. too bad

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

tanabata is my birthday :nyoron:

one of my anime friends was born on walpurgisnacht but of course everyone itt will recognize i got the better deal

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Definitely. cause I had no idea what walpurgisnacht was before i looked it up

actually... I don't think you get to kiss cute girls at midnight during tanabata :D

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 2, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

bamboo leaf rhapsody is a really good episode. i'm more interested in revisiting sigh tho because my initial impression of them was that they were pretty weak. but anything after endless eight that wasn't disappearance would necessarily be weak imo

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

bamboo leaf rhapsody is a really good episode. i'm more interested in revisiting sigh tho because my initial impression of them was that they were pretty weak. but anything after endless eight that wasn't disappearance would necessarily be weak imo

Sigh part 4 is excellent

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

Definitely. cause I had no idea what walpurgisnacht was before i looked it up

actually... I don't think you get to kiss cute girls at midnight during tanabata :D

actual walpurgnisnacht is pretty loving cool, but it's also a day another anime that appeals to obsessives revolves around (needless to say it's not in haruhi's class (it's madoka))

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

madoka is badass

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the third movie is among the best looking anime films made

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hey I am pro madoka all the way, but this here is haruhi country

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

madoka looks cool, but i haven';t gone back to finish it after getting distracted at episode 5

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ah, so Haruhi was traumatized by having to watch baseball as a child. God, Baseball's boring.

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

who let in those french horns?????

I got chills just reading this post

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

See, I thought Haruhi was more of our Shinji here. She's the one who, like Shinji, falls into a period of melancholy brought on by feelings of insignificance, and ultimately attempts to withdraw completely from the real world and all of it's problems and people and problematic people - though, to be fair, she wants to be special/be surrounded by specialness where Shinji seemed to desire to be normal and normalcy. Likewise, while...Shinji's friends/Shinji himself/The Author/whoever causes Shinji to realize that his life means something, or can mean something, and decide that he has self worth and that he wants to keep on living, Kyon helps Haruhi to reaffirm her connection with the outside world, and maybe cause her to rethink her ideas of what makes someone/herself 'special' like she's so obsessed with.

...I think. Cut me some slack, I just watched this thing.

I'm so happy about comments like this and everybody saying they are sort-of rediscovering how great Melancholy is.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Davincie posted:

the third movie is among the best looking anime films made

rebellion is one of the best anime movies of the 21st century so far along with disappearance, rebuild 3, mind game, and innocence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agronox posted:

Obviously everyone loves the climax of Melancholy VI. But:

SHUT
UP
SHAMISEN

always makes me smile.

Sagittarius has been my favorite ep for a while but I will admit Live Alive is a new contender after this rewatch.

Hmm. It's tough. Melancholy VI is one of my single favorite all-time episodes of anime (one of the best kisses I've ever seen in anything really). But discounting that it'd have to be Remote Island Syndrome Part II.

• Locked thread