Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

That article is pretty timely for me, I was backpacking last weekend and it was a total shitshow. Off leash dog charged and bit me on wilderness space, then a bunch of frat boys built a huge rear end bonfire at the high mountain lake I was going to camp near and were doing bong rips and throwing beer cans in the lake, so I moved on and found another spot that seemed nice and set up my tent then realized someone had thrown a poo poo ton of food they didn't want to eat behind some trees so that was rotting 20 feet away and I wasn't worried about bears before but kind of was then, whatever it was fine then another off leash dog charged me fortunately this one didn't bite, and then on day three hiking out some dumbshit millennials were flying a drone as annoyingly as possible and thought it would be funny to zoom it over people hiking on the trail then the battery died and it crashed 50 feet ahead of me on the trail and would have hit me if the battery died two seconds earlier, nearly got into a fist fight with them after yelling at them for being stupid dipshits.

I mean Indian Peaks is always kind of a shitshow but geez it sure seems to be getting worse every year. I think I'm going to start giving up on anything near the front range and head out to Utah or Idaho or something for trips, I'm just so tired of all the dipshits.

Is bear spray legal in your state? If a dog ran up to me aggressively and bit me I'd probably spray it down, maybe even if it hadn't bit me depending on the circumstances. There isn't really an excuse for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yeah the only time having a dog off leash is ok is when you know your voice is law, and very few owners achieve that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Forest or Wilderness rules in the US are usually "dog must be under control at all times". If your dog is completely under control by the sound of your voice alone, then cool it can be off leash, and I've seen some awesome backpacking dogs that just wanna hike and carry their little packs and they give you a panting smile as they carefully step past you on the trail. If your dog can't do that or it can't not chase after a deer it sees, then it needs to be on leash.

The most what the gently caress thing I saw last year was someone hiking in the high Sierra (I think I saw them jump on the JMT around Bear Creek and they resupplied at the Muir Trail Ranch) with a freaking Pomeranian. It must have been like...5 lbs soaking wet. It was half amazing and half :stonk:

It was on leash and well behaved though so that was alright, except they headed into Kings Canyon after resupplying and dogs aren't allowed in national parks (it legit says it right on the sign next to the trail as you cross the boundary).

e: I guess another thing leading to more callous treatment of wilderness areas is that it's easy as gently caress now to jump on the internet and look up some pre-planned trip and print out a map and go, which might be leading to more people in the back country that wouldn't have made it past the trailhead campgrounds or the first popular campsite 4 miles down the trail in the past. It's easier than ever to get a trip planned without actually doing a lot of planning, which is what probably tends to be a barrier in some ways.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 1, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Pryor on Fire posted:

That article is pretty timely for me, I was backpacking last weekend and it was a total shitshow. Off leash dog charged and bit me on wilderness space, then a bunch of frat boys built a huge rear end bonfire at the high mountain lake I was going to camp near and were doing bong rips and throwing beer cans in the lake, so I moved on and found another spot that seemed nice and set up my tent then realized someone had thrown a poo poo ton of food they didn't want to eat behind some trees so that was rotting 20 feet away and I wasn't worried about bears before but kind of was then, whatever it was fine then another off leash dog charged me fortunately this one didn't bite, and then on day three hiking out some dumbshit millennials were flying a drone as annoyingly as possible and thought it would be funny to zoom it over people hiking on the trail then the battery died and it crashed 50 feet ahead of me on the trail and would have hit me if the battery died two seconds earlier, nearly got into a fist fight with them after yelling at them for being stupid dipshits.

I mean Indian Peaks is always kind of a shitshow but geez it sure seems to be getting worse every year. I think I'm going to start giving up on anything near the front range and head out to Utah or Idaho or something for trips, I'm just so tired of all the dipshits.

Levitate posted:

I think there are people getting into hiking, especially thru hiking, because of the "sport" aspect they see in it, like running marathons. Less because of being out in the wilderness exactly and more because of the "challenge". Then again maybe I'm just being a NIMBY and shouting at kids to get off my lawn.

This is why I started, a lifetime ago when I was 14 years old and had a little bit of money. I was drawn to the challenge of navigating over these hills and through forests without the aid of trails, to put to good use the compass that had sat on my desk for so long. I did the whole "bushcraft" thing, going out into the woods with very little gear and melting my own water from snow over a wood fire, sleeping on beds of pine boughs under a home depot tarp stretched on a wood frame. Old, cheap gear made for a heavy pack (thus the necessity to discard so much of it and to instead take from the woods), but to young muscles it was a small hardship, incomparable to the delight brought by overcoming it.

As far as the groups of dipshit millenials, as one of aforementioned dipshit millenials all I can say is I almost always travel alone, and when not alone the size of the group I am in is 2. It has never, in my lifetime, been larger than 6. I have a hard time imagining how a single group of 35 human beings can NOT ruin their surroundings. It's just a question of cleaning it all up when you're done.

Keyser S0ze posted:

sad part it included ladies too (bro-ettes?).
Speaking again as dipshit millenial, is this not a feature of the outdoors parties of the past? Who the hell would go on a trip like that with only dudes? If you're going to go on a trip with only dudes it should be like, fishing, or trail maintenance, or science stuff. Some real activity to do, in addition to just "escape the annoying people in my life". And there's just no sense in getting wasted on a trip like that.

It seems to me like the real solution is just building more parks. The last new wilderness area around here opened up in 2007, I'm sure if we just open up one medium size park every 5-10 years that should absorb the demand.

Like, it's totally cool if someone is being a shithead DURING their trip as long as there are no lasting effects once they leave. All of the unpleasant experiences you described to me are just like mice getting into your food bag; one of the minor problems you run into out there. It's just that the annoying animals in question happen to be wearing pants, usually.

To the people asking if I was trolling: Those were exaggerated for effect. I did once, on a wide, mixed use trail right around twilight, startle a horse and rider by passing them at 22mph with Kanye West's "Black Skinhead" playing at maximum volume on the cell phone in my jersey's pockets. In my defense, I had my lights on and was trying to get out of there before darkness fell fully. This would be on whatever that long, mostly-paved trail in between the towns of Banks and Veronia in OR is. Later when passing several groups of cyclists I received some highly spirited feedback regarding my musical tastes. It was about 80% positive and 20% "what the gently caress".

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 1, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Building a new park would cost massive amounts of money and effort to find a suitable place and flatten the poo poo out of some area to put in parking lots, campgrounds, lodges, restaurants, etc, and make sure the road there is decent enough to handle demands. Park Service and all that isn't really rolling in money

But really there are plenty of other areas to go that aren't as heavily used as the popular national parks, but no one goes there because they're not as well known or whatever

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

But really there are plenty of other areas to go that aren't as heavily used as the popular national parks, but no one goes there because they're not as well known or whatever

And the knowledge of and willingness to go to a lightly-visited park instead of the crowded ones are what separates us from them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

yeah the only time having a dog off leash is ok is when you know your voice is law, and very few owners achieve that.

I'm so glad I live in PA where off leash is the norm and people that get lovely about dogs are the weirdos.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Anyone spend a night or two at Shenandoah NP? I plan on going this weekend and was looking to do 15~ miles and camp out. I was thinking doing old rag or hawksbill, anyone have any specific hikes theyve done?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
All the parks around here are tiny as hell but being able to weekday hike means I never really see anyone unless I am within a mile of a parking area. And when I do they are generally affable weirdos like myself who have too much free time and no on to chat with. The only altercation I have been in involved a loving cyclist who took umbrage at my refusal to throw myself into the bushes as he tried to wizz by at like 10mph on a mixed use trail.

In hiking news I had been getting a little cocky with the distance progress I have been making so today I went north to find some trails with an aggressive elevation change. Was very much humbled. Three miles up and three miles down about killed me and my legs cramped up so badly I feared I wasn't going to be able to drive home. I didn't even bring my day pack, just a small bottle of water, I'm not sure I could have made it with even my 10lb pack on. I really need to find somewhere close with more aggressive trails or join gym or something.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

prezbuluskey posted:

Anyone spend a night or two at Shenandoah NP? I plan on going this weekend and was looking to do 15~ miles and camp out. I was thinking doing old rag or hawksbill, anyone have any specific hikes theyve done?

One SNP out and back that I like is parking at Compton (Mile ~10 on Skyline Drive) and hiking down the AT along Mount Marshall to camp near Gravel Springs Hut, then return on Bluff Trail to Compton the next day. There are some great views along the top of Marshall and the trail is nice and easy on the feet while still giving you a good distance (~10 miles out from Compton, ~8 miles if you park at Jenkins Gap instead).

Other options - Jeremy's Run with a night at/near Mathews Arm, White Oak/Cedar Run or Three Falls with a night at Rock Spring Hut.

Old Rag is going to be jammed packed this weekend and it's hard to find a campsite that's away from the trail and crowds there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

bunnielab posted:

All the parks around here are tiny as hell but being able to weekday hike means I never really see anyone unless I am within a mile of a parking area. And when I do they are generally affable weirdos like myself who have too much free time and no on to chat with. The only altercation I have been in involved a loving cyclist who took umbrage at my refusal to throw myself into the bushes as he tried to wizz by at like 10mph on a mixed use trail.

In hiking news I had been getting a little cocky with the distance progress I have been making so today I went north to find some trails with an aggressive elevation change. Was very much humbled. Three miles up and three miles down about killed me and my legs cramped up so badly I feared I wasn't going to be able to drive home. I didn't even bring my day pack, just a small bottle of water, I'm not sure I could have made it with even my 10lb pack on. I really need to find somewhere close with more aggressive trails or join gym or something.
Shedding excess weight on your body is better than losing anything from your pack.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Get that elevation bunnielab, good job. Not much is gonna help with hiking uphill, other than hiking uphill.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Shedding excess weight on your body is better than losing anything from your pack.

Absolutely, but I can't lose too much or all my sweet hiking pants will not fit any more.

Smoove J posted:

Get that elevation bunnielab, good job. Not much is gonna help with hiking uphill, other than hiking uphill.

Yea, I figured as much. A gym will help with general cardio though and I need to get my leg muscles improved, I am going to buy a pedal-powered kayak next spring and want to be able to use the hell out of it right away.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Smoove J posted:

My thoughts exactly. There are other strength exercises you can do, but nothing is as relevant nor as fun as hiking to get better at hiking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bunnielab posted:

Absolutely, but I can't lose too much or all my sweet hiking pants will not fit any more.

Yea, I figured as much. A gym will help with general cardio though and I need to get my leg muscles improved, I am going to buy a pedal-powered kayak next spring and want to be able to use the hell out of it right away.

Do 100 squats and 150 calf raises at whatever weight you can handle twice a week. Those two exercises will improve the muscle groups hiking uphill requires and doing 100 squats in 3-4 sweats is a hell of a cardio workout as well. I used this same method to get stronger at climbing hills on the bike and it worked wonders for running up them as well. Be sure to stretch afterwards though, or you'll get cramps from hell in the middle of the night and scream so loud you scare your dogs into peeing on your bed :v:

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've been looking at packs for about 2 weeks and haven't been able to make up my mind.

After having multiple people measure me at REI (where I work) I appear to have an 18.5 inch torso. I'm 5'11" and 160lbs and I can't seem to figure this out.

Years ago I bought a gregory baltoro 70 in medium and everybody at work agrees it's too big for me. It rubs on my lower back and literally rubbed my skin off on my last trip.

-I tried an Osprey Atmos AG in both small and medium and the hip belt was too small on the small but the shoulders were perfect, and the pack is not customizable so I can't swap small/medium belts.
I've now tried a gregory baltoro 65 in small, but the little back plate is uncomfortable.
-I tried a gregory z65 in small and something is a little off but I'm not sure what. The shoulder straps are also kind of uncomfortable. I tried an Osprey Aether 60 in small and the shoulder straps are a dream but the hip belt is uncomfortable. Specifically, the way the hip belt comes up over the front of my hip bones makes that area extremely hot within a minute or two of the pack being on, and I experience a mild burning sensation after a few minutes.

On long hikes with my current gregory I have shoved a sock into each side of my pelvic V which has pulled the hip belt off my hip bones to ease this discomfort.

The most comfortable pack I've tried on has been an Osprey Exos 58. I don't know if this is confirmation bias because I have been looking for lighter packs in an attempt to go all-lightweight throughout my gear or not though. After trying the Aether last night I think this may be because the hip belt is pretty small and doesn't go over the front of my hip bones.

I've had 4 employees at my store and one at another try to help me to no avail. What advice do you goons have?

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 2, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

I've had 4 employees at my store and one at another try to help me to no avail. What advice do you goons have?

Sounds like you have weird pointy hip bones that need extra cushioning or minimal contact or something. So to that end you could go ultralight and just force yourself to have pack weights of 25 pounds or under.

You might want to look into the ULA Circut:
http://sectionhiker.com/ula-circuit-backpack-review/
It has two hip straps so that you can fine tune the fit of the hip belt which might help you. It's also extremely light.

Or you could go the route of gently caress off big padding everywhere and get something like this from Dueter:
http://sectionhiker.com/deuter-guide-45-backpack-review/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Circuit can carry around 35 lb fairly comfortably IMO

The hip belt isn't very thickly padded but something like that might be beneficial in your case (possibly even why the Exos felt better) since heavily padded hip belts in my experience tend to be pretty thick foam that can add more pressure (probably stills works better for heavy loads though). A more lightly padded and flexible hip belt might reduce the amount of pain and annoyance.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

One SNP out and back that I like is parking at Compton (Mile ~10 on Skyline Drive) and hiking down the AT along Mount Marshall to camp near Gravel Springs Hut, then return on Bluff Trail to Compton the next day. There are some great views along the top of Marshall and the trail is nice and easy on the feet while still giving you a good distance (~10 miles out from Compton, ~8 miles if you park at Jenkins Gap instead).

Other options - Jeremy's Run with a night at/near Mathews Arm, White Oak/Cedar Run or Three Falls with a night at Rock Spring Hut.

Old Rag is going to be jammed packed this weekend and it's hard to find a campsite that's away from the trail and crowds there.

Very cool. Yeah I wasn't going to go near Old Rag. The three falls hike looks great and so does Compton. Is Hawkbill Mountain worth it? Im an elevation nerd.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Rontalvos posted:

I've been looking at packs for about 2 weeks and haven't been able to make up my mind.

After having multiple people measure me at REI (where I work) I appear to have an 18.5 inch torso. I'm 5'11" and 160lbs and I can't seem to figure this out.

Years ago I bought a gregory baltoro 70 in medium and everybody at work agrees it's too big for me. It rubs on my lower back and literally rubbed my skin off on my last trip.

-I tried an Osprey Atmos AG in both small and medium and the hip belt was too small on the small but the shoulders were perfect, and the pack is not customizable so I can't swap small/medium belts.
I've now tried a gregory baltoro 65 in small, but the little back plate is uncomfortable.
-I tried a gregory z65 in small and something is a little off but I'm not sure what. The shoulder straps are also kind of uncomfortable. I tried an Osprey Aether 60 in small and the shoulder straps are a dream but the hip belt is uncomfortable. Specifically, the way the hip belt comes up over the front of my hip bones makes that area extremely hot within a minute or two of the pack being on, and I experience a mild burning sensation after a few minutes.

On long hikes with my current gregory I have shoved a sock into each side of my pelvic V which has pulled the hip belt off my hip bones to ease this discomfort.

The most comfortable pack I've tried on has been an Osprey Exos 58. I don't know if this is confirmation bias because I have been looking for lighter packs in an attempt to go all-lightweight throughout my gear or not though. After trying the Aether last night I think this may be because the hip belt is pretty small and doesn't go over the front of my hip bones.

Larger packs like those generally have beefier hipbelts, and you should probably be looking at one with thinner belts (less padding is actually a more comfortable fit). I'm 5'11" and 165, so pretty similar to you, and swear by the ULA Conduit. If you're trying to fit in the store, one of the 40-50L Ospreys are pretty comfortable. And make sure to try out the women's version of the pack, because they will probably fit better.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

prezbuluskey posted:

Very cool. Yeah I wasn't going to go near Old Rag. The three falls hike looks great and so does Compton. Is Hawkbill Mountain worth it? Im an elevation nerd.

Hawksbill is definitely worth a trip, although I tend to like going in fall/winter when the leaves are down and the humidity is out for the best views.

If you're an elevation nerd you should head down to Mount Rogers to find some decent altitude. I'll admit that Virginia doesn't hold a candle to the mountains out west, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have some nice views.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Anyone have strong preferences for a rain jacket? I'm looking at this list http://www.rei.com/c/mens-multi-sport-rain-jackets?ir=category%3Amens-multi-sport-rain-jackets&pagesize=90&r=c&page=1&stop_mobi=yes

Really leaning towards the Beta AR... but I haven't been looking too long. Mammut Crater, Kuhl Parachute, I don't know. I'd want it all seasons, snow/rain/wind protection, breathable, doesn't need insulation.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Smoove J posted:

Anyone have strong preferences for a rain jacket? I'm looking at this list http://www.rei.com/c/mens-multi-sport-rain-jackets?ir=category%3Amens-multi-sport-rain-jackets&pagesize=90&r=c&page=1&stop_mobi=yes

Really leaning towards the Beta AR... but I haven't been looking too long. Mammut Crater, Kuhl Parachute, I don't know. I'd want it all seasons, snow/rain/wind protection, breathable, doesn't need insulation.

I'd say separate snow protection from rain/wind protection. A good rain jacket is too light-weight for real snow protection (meaning beyond just keeping you dry), and vice versa. I've got a Marmot Precip and it's great and I love it. Some people love their bird gear, but I don't see how the Arc'teryx stuff could possibly be worth the 400% premium.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Some people love their bird gear, but I don't see how the Arc'teryx stuff could possibly be worth the 400% premium.

I felt the same way but after a lot of looking around I ended up buying one of their softshells and could not be more happy with it. A few months later I bought one of their lightweight insulated jackets and it might be the best coat I have ever owned. Their stuff, imho, works best when it is something that is narrowly focused in design and concept. Their general stuff is much closer to average but still great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Working with the Utah Conservation Corps and for the next 3 months I'll be in Bryce, just finished my first 4 day hitch and it was loving gorgeous, too bad I have to spend most of the day with a 30 pd backpack filled with Ranger Pro trying to kill Smooth Brome. Really enjoyed hiking down Tower Bridge during the sunset.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kaal posted:

I'd say separate snow protection from rain/wind protection. A good rain jacket is too light-weight for real snow protection (meaning beyond just keeping you dry), and vice versa. I've got a Marmot Precip and it's great and I love it. Some people love their bird gear, but I don't see how the Arc'teryx stuff could possibly be worth the 400% premium.
I have a beta AR and it's a great rain jacket, and a great snow jacket with a thick as need be mid under it. I don't understand why you'd want 2 separate shells. And dead bird stuff is basically guaranteed for life. I had some velcro patches replaced a while back before they'd actually failed, for free and with zero hassle. They also have the best hoods period.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I have a beta AR and it's a great rain jacket, and a great snow jacket with a thick as need be mid under it. I don't understand why you'd want 2 separate shells. And dead bird stuff is basically guaranteed for life. I had some velcro patches replaced a while back before they'd actually failed, for free and with zero hassle. They also have the best hoods period.

The hoods are the one thing I don't like, but a hood designed to go over a helmet isn't going to work well with a bare head. I just keep a folding ball cap in the pocket of my shell, hooking the lip of the hood over the brim of the cap keeps both of them in place in very high winds. The hoods on the mid layer I have is not ment to go over a helmet and is pretty great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is it your bald noggin that's the issue? Even without any kind of hat I can cinch it down to where it won't ever move, and I have full peripheral vision.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Levitate posted:

The most what the gently caress thing I saw last year was someone hiking in the high Sierra (I think I saw them jump on the JMT around Bear Creek and they resupplied at the Muir Trail Ranch) with a freaking Pomeranian. It must have been like...5 lbs soaking wet. It was half amazing and half :stonk:
Haha I met that guy too. Dog was cute but the guy didn't really seem like he knew what he was doing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kaal posted:

I agree with you on Arc'teryx. I don't know all of the cheaper gear that I've bought has always worked well enough for me. The price premium is just to high for me, when I wore my friends rain jacket from Arc'teryx he had it was nice but not that much nicer. I think it's been beaten to death here already but in my opinion rain gear is mostly for thermal regulation and not necessarily staying dry. No matter what you can end up sweating any jacket out eventually. That said the Precip is good and I recently got a Patagonia Torrentshell that I've been pleased with.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I got the Beta AR last night. I love the lifetime guarantee, minimalist look, we'll see. Thanks for the thoughts you guys.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Is it your bald noggin that's the issue? Even without any kind of hat I can cinch it down to where it won't ever move, and I have full peripheral vision.

I never thought of that, but it could be it. Without a hat the hood always slumps down over my eyes eventually. I have a huge head too so idk.

I also thought the sleeves were too long until I wore it with gloves in the snow and then I realized their greatness. I have been dogging the poo poo out of this jacket, wearing to work, on the farm, and plowing through brush. Other then some grease stains and a tiny tiny little snag from a ragged metal edge, it has held up 100%.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Saint Fu posted:

Haha I met that guy too. Dog was cute but the guy didn't really seem like he knew what he was doing.

Funny, he must have been on the trail longer than I thought. I think you were a week or at least a couple days ahead of me. I thought he might have come in from a side trail somewhere near Bear Creek like I said. Seemed to have met up with a bunch of people near Muir Trail Ranch and had a big ol' group camp and fire that night around there and then we dropped them after that.

Dog kinda looked like it wanted to die but I guess it's pretty impressive it made it that far

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bunnielab posted:

I never thought of that, but it could be it. Without a hat the hood always slumps down over my eyes eventually. I have a huge head too so idk.
That's really, really unusual, do you use the rear adjuster (under the halo, that pulls the whole hood back)?

bunnielab posted:

I also thought the sleeves were too long until I wore it with gloves in the snow and then I realized their greatness. I have been dogging the poo poo out of this jacket, wearing to work, on the farm, and plowing through brush. Other then some grease stains and a tiny tiny little snag from a ragged metal edge, it has held up 100%.
Yeah people whine about the sleeves because they don't fit the "walking around town uncinched" usage pattern. Then they wear it once for what it's for and eureka.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

That's really, really unusual, do you use the rear adjuster (under the halo, that pulls the whole hood back)?

I do but now I am curious to see if I am adjusting it wrong. I'll get it out and post a picture tonight.

Sadly the only store around me that carried their stuff closed, it is so much better to be able to check layering fit without shipping stuff back and forth. There is an Arcteryx store in DC but it was like 40% skiing stuff, 40% size S Valience stuff, and only a small selection of the mainline, a lot of which is their more street wear stuff.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

bunnielab posted:

% size S Valience stuff,

Who the goddamn buys that stuff. I looked at their selection and it's almost all super terrible looking jackets that cost $1000. Do they look better on people aren't super twink-ish models?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I found me two good trees.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

We made it to the summit of Guadalupe Peak, which means nobody in Texas was higher than me.

except Willie Nelson

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Who the goddamn buys that stuff.
Hey now :<

bunnielab posted:

I do but now I am curious to see if I am adjusting it wrong. I'll get it out and post a picture tonight.
Do the halo first until the hood rotates when you turn your head, then the rear and sides. 100% of the time, it works every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
3 miles, 2700 feet of vertical. Mystery Peak was a good recovery hike.