Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there still issues porting numbers from Straight Talk to Cricket? My wife has ST but I'd like to switch her to cricket at some point but I recall there being issues with the porting, and she's one of those luddites that actually cares about the number her phone has.

Her usage isn't intense enough that ST has been much of a problem for her (though her auto-refill causes me way more hassle than my Cricket does) but $3 a month is $3 a month.

You'll either have to do the port in a cricket store or call them to get it moved over. It's something specific between straight talk and Cricket that gets things caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is anybody else having trouble with Cricket at the moment? My phone is showing full bars, but the little ! symbol next to them which means that something is up. Long Island, New York. Just wondering if this is a cricket/ATT problem or just me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm updating the OP and going through each carrier to make sure things are up to date.

Does anyone know if T-Mob still has the dork plan?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is anybody else having trouble with Cricket at the moment? My phone is showing full bars, but the little ! symbol next to them which means that something is up. Long Island, New York. Just wondering if this is a cricket/ATT problem or just me.

Might be a local problem for you, mines fine (in Michigan, several hundred miles away). Cycling airplane mode on/off doesn't help?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SouthLAnd posted:

Might be a local problem for you, mines fine (in Michigan, several hundred miles away). Cycling airplane mode on/off doesn't help?

I did that a few hours ago when it happened (well, I turned my phone off/back on) and it worked for a bit, then it happened again. I just cycled airplane mode on/off 20 minutes ago and it seems to be working fine again.

My phone (second gen Moto G) also got an update this morning to fix stagefright and other bugs, so I'm wondering if it's too much of a coincidence...

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know if T-Mob still has the dork plan?

Looks like it's now listed under "Other Prepaid Plans" but still available. http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

Looks like it's now listed under "Other Prepaid Plans" but still available. http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

Thank you! I'll have the new OP up later tonight.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It looks like Harbor Mobile is about to release their AT&T service. Someone on slickdeals got the pricing information from a customer service rep:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8080810-harbor-mobile-2-0-at-t-plans-pricing-revealed?v=1

quote:

AT&T plans:

ALL TALK & TEXT PLANS INCLUDE: Unlimited Talk to the USA, Canada & Mexico and Unlimited text to over 190 countries (but no roaming data as with tmobile)

20.00 - Unlimited Talk & Text
25.00 - Unlimited Talk & Text +1GB 4G LTE Data
30.00 - Unlimited Talk & Text +2.5GB 4G LTE Data
40.00 - Unlimited Talk & Text +4.5GB 4G LTE Data
50.00 - Unlimited Talk & Text +10GB 4G LTE Data
20.00 - Data only for Hotspot or Tablet: 5GB 4G LTE

+ 3$ service fee per line

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rexxed posted:

It looks like Harbor Mobile is about to release their AT&T service. Someone on slickdeals got the pricing information from a customer service rep:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8080810-harbor-mobile-2-0-at-t-plans-pricing-revealed?v=1

Yeah, it's on their site too but none of that information was available. :v: I'll add this to the updated OP.

Right now, I'm trying to decide which of RedPocket's plans to add...they've got four different ones.

A "featured plan" set where it applies to GSM and CDMA.
A GSMA-only set which includes LTE.
A CDMA-only set which apparently doesn't have LTE.
A CDMAS-only set which...I don't know what the gently caress CDMAS is, really.

Currently, I have an AT&T side for their GSM and the Sprint side...I guess I could just use the GSM and CDMA plans respectively...but then what about the "featured" plans? They all have different add-ons and pricing too...

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 3, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rexxed posted:

Is there any reason to choose this over Cricket aside from being $2 cheaper? Would the service be exactly the same?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there any reason to choose this over Cricket aside from being $2 cheaper? Would the service be exactly the same?

This one requires being a "business" and has no option for group discount.

Might be full speed as opposed to cricket's throttled speeds.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 3, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm actually wondering if I should even keep Harbor Mobile in the OP. If you're not a business, there's plenty of other MVNOs to chose from and it'd be just trying to take advantage of them. It's not like they're that cheap or anything and I haven't seen anything along the lines of "you can keep using your data once it's gone".

In fact, a lot of MVNOs seem to be "if you use up your data allotment, you have no data".

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm actually wondering if I should even keep Harbor Mobile in the OP. If you're not a business, there's plenty of other MVNOs to chose from and it'd be just trying to take advantage of them. It's not like they're that cheap or anything and I haven't seen anything along the lines of "you can keep using your data once it's gone".

In fact, a lot of MVNOs seem to be "if you use up your data allotment, you have no data".

Is that true, though? Most plans I've seen advertise "unlimited data" with a certain amount at high speed, then it's throttled to 128kbit once you use up your high-speed allotment.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nimper posted:

Is that true, though? Most plans I've seen advertise "unlimited data" with a certain amount at high speed, then it's throttled to 128kbit once you use up your high-speed allotment.

Actually, no. You're right. I had it mixed up.

Most DO have "unlimited data" but there are some that don't and some have that for their 500MB/mo data plan. Harbor Mobile seems to be one that just kind of stops data once you run out.

Most that throttle don't actually say what it goes down to though, Cricket is 256kbps but PagePlus is 64kbps.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
To my understanding, Harbor Mobile is the best T-Mo option since it has all the benefits of T-Mo postpaid (international roaming, music streaming) for a prepaid price. I don't think any of the other MVNO's have that (but I also didn't research much).

Also, you don't need to be a business.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

clockworx posted:

To my understanding, Harbor Mobile is the best T-Mo option since it has all the benefits of T-Mo postpaid (international roaming, music streaming) for a prepaid price. I don't think any of the other MVNO's have that (but I also didn't research much).

Also, you don't need to be a business.

I used Harbor for a couple months. It's genuine T-Mobile service and signing up was easy enough. They didn't ask for documentation of my "business" but I understand that some people have had to submit LLC/incorporation documentation or what have you.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nimper posted:

I used Harbor for a couple months. It's genuine T-Mobile service and signing up was easy enough. They didn't ask for documentation of my "business" but I understand that some people have had to submit LLC/incorporation documentation or what have you.

I'll keep it in, but I'll put in the warning that they may ask you for LLC documentation for proof.

There. finally updated the OP!

Here, have a changelog!

September 04, 2015
  • Added Project Fi to T-Mobile/Sprint and Smartel to T-Mobile/Verizon.
  • Removed Brightspot from T-Mobile and Voyager Mobile from Sprint as both no longer exist.
  • Updated the "Notable Phones" sections for each carrier.
  • Updated the plans for each carrier that was previously listed.
  • Restructured each MVNO's plan sections so they're hopefully easier to read.
  • Revised the post a little bit to remove outdated information.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 4, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

Don't bother, it's not price competitive anymore

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Knew I forgot something....I'll add them tomorrow as I'm pretty exhausted right now.

Unless other people want me to remove Harbor Mobile from the OP too...? I mean, with their new prices, it's pretty much the same as everyone else and there's a possibility that you could be kicked off if they find out you're not a business.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

At least note that their data limit is apparently a hard cut off. Even if they were cheaper the possibility of accidentally going over the limit and being left completely without data would keep me away.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

whatever7 posted:

Is there a better option that includes tethering and unlimited music streaming?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Did they increase the bandwidth on Cricket? Repeatedly getting 10+mbit on both the up and download the last few weeks using the speed test app.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

tonic posted:

Did they increase the bandwidth on Cricket? Repeatedly getting 10+mbit on both the up and download the last few weeks using the speed test app.

Bay area here. Just did a test and got 66ms ping, 8.66 down, 2.28 up. So no? At least it hasn't been mentioned in a press release or anything.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

SB35 posted:

Bay area here. Just did a test and got 66ms ping, 8.66 down, 2.28 up. So no? At least it hasn't been mentioned in a press release or anything.

Bay Area as well, just ran this test. Download is close to 8, but upload significantly higher.

corrse.cx
Jun 1, 2004
I have two Sprint S4s currently using the Sprint Framily plan. I am looking to switch to Cricket in a month or two, and have a couple of questions. I am satisfied with the phones but not the service.

1) Based on my reading, I can jump through some hoops and unlock the Sprint S4s to use them with Cricket, but only HSPA (3G) and not 4G will work. Not getting two new Cricket/ATT S4s or two unlocked 2015 Moto Gs (or something else similar) will save me about $500, but is it worth not having 4G? I figure it might be since even the 3G only on ATT's network is probably better than the worthless 3G and limited 4G that Sprint offers. Will occasional music streaming work well enough with the HSPA on Cricket?

2) The OP recommends using Google Voice to save my number. I use MMS pretty frequently, so not sure if this is still problematic (it was a year ago anyway). Could I port my numbers directly to Cricket or does that entail a significant risk of losing them?

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

corrse.cx posted:

I have two Sprint S4s currently using the Sprint Framily plan.
Sell them on swappa/CL and buy some att ones. 4g is totally worth it. Your cash outlay won't be too bad and likely less than getting them flashed in terms of headaches. You can also pick up some cheap phones until you're swapped. My wife and I went with some lumias for a bit while we figure out which phones we want and finish selling the old phones.

Unless you're coming from straight talk, you shouldn't have a problem porting the number. Skip Google voice.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

corrse.cx posted:

I have two Sprint S4s currently using the Sprint Framily plan. I am looking to switch to Cricket in a month or two, and have a couple of questions. I am satisfied with the phones but not the service.

1) Based on my reading, I can jump through some hoops and unlock the Sprint S4s to use them with Cricket, but only HSPA (3G) and not 4G will work. Not getting two new Cricket/ATT S4s or two unlocked 2015 Moto Gs (or something else similar) will save me about $500, but is it worth not having 4G? I figure it might be since even the 3G only on ATT's network is probably better than the worthless 3G and limited 4G that Sprint offers. Will occasional music streaming work well enough with the HSPA on Cricket?

2) The OP recommends using Google Voice to save my number. I use MMS pretty frequently, so not sure if this is still problematic (it was a year ago anyway). Could I port my numbers directly to Cricket or does that entail a significant risk of losing them?

Streaming works fine on Cricket, even on HSPA.

The OP recommends porting to Voice because, once done, you don't need to worry about porting again. You just pay the $20 and you're fine no matter what carrier you go to. Skipping Voice means you get to worry every time you want to change carriers.

MMS works OK using Hangouts at least for me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

tonic posted:

Albuquerque - 8.05 down, 7.80 up. The download did burst to about 12Mbps for a couple seconds but the throttling clearly kicked in after that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Streaming works fine on Cricket, even on HSPA.

The OP recommends porting to Voice because, once done, you don't need to worry about porting again. You just pay the $20 and you're fine no matter what carrier you go to. Skipping Voice means you get to worry every time you want to change carriers.

MMS works OK using Hangouts at least for me.

In addition, using Voice is great because you don't have to worry much about your cell signal as long as you have wifi. I get little to no service at work but I can still text and see if someone is calling on my desktop.

MMS works fine, though I'm unsure if group messaging is fully functional yet.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Sprint Moto E (2015) is 40bux at BestBuy right now. If you live in an are that Sprint isn't a turd, FWIW.

They seem to be aggressively rolling out LTE on 800Mhz so that helps a lot.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Vykk.Draygo posted:

MMS works fine, though I'm unsure if group messaging is fully functional yet.

I use Google Voice very recently (probably in the last month) I've noticed that group texts are working. This is using Hangouts on a Nexus 5 with the t-mobile dork plan.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Prescription Combs posted:

Sprint Moto E (2015) is 40bux at BestBuy right now.

Link? I only see the Sprint Prepaid no contract version. Sprint doesn't allow Prepaid phones on their normal plans and vice versa.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sprint-...1&skuId=2729581

Prescription Combs posted:

Well.. This is the prepaid thread. It'll apparently activate on Ring Plus if that's your thing, too.

Oops. Forgot what thread I was in.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 8, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

Link? I only see the Sprint Prepaid no contract version. Sprint doesn't allow Prepaid phones on their normal plans and vice versa.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sprint-...1&skuId=2729581

Well.. This is the prepaid thread. It'll apparently activate on Ring Plus if that's your thing, too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

So I'm taking my friend to a Cricket store Thursday to shop for her first smartphone. She's in her late 50's and currently has an ancient dumphone with a dying battery and is spending way too much for whatever big name carrier she uses. She'd like to spend less than 100 dollars (and buy new) on the phone, are any of the cheapy Cricket phones not terrible? It looks like they have a deal on the Lumia 635, having never used a Windows phone do you guys think it would be a good option for a first time smartphone user?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SouthLAnd posted:

So I'm taking my friend to a Cricket store Thursday to shop for her first smartphone. She's in her late 50's and currently has an ancient dumphone with a dying battery and is spending way too much for whatever big name carrier she uses. She'd like to spend less than 100 dollars (and buy new) on the phone, are any of the cheapy Cricket phones not terrible? It looks like they have a deal on the Lumia 635, having never used a Windows phone do you guys think it would be a good option for a first time smartphone user?

I think they have a deal on the Moto E, possibly.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

FAUXTON posted:

This is what I got for my father-in-law and he loves it. It was $80.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got the galaxy prime when I signed up, and it's pretty awesome.

Downside is it won't work where my mom is at, even though the entire goddamn zipcode is in green.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Good call on the Moto E, they sold it to my friend for 49.99 plus a 25 dollar activation fee. I think it was a good buy compared to one of the low end ZTE phones. From the little bit I played around with it, it should be a stellar first-time smartphone.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

ThermoPhysical posted:

Project Fi is Google’s joint MVNO with T-Mobile and Sprint. Basically, you will use either T-Mobile’s GSM towers or Sprint’s CDMA towers (depending on who’s got the best signal where you are). Most of the time, however, you will be on Wi-Fi. The data on this plan is customizable at $10 for every 1GB per month you’d like to have.

Notable Phones:
Nexus 6 (right now, this is the only device that works on Project Fi)

Current Plans:
  • The Fi Basics
    $30/mo
    Unlimited Talk and Text
    3GB of LTE data
    Includes unlimited International Talk and Text
    Includes Wi-Fi tethering

Keep in mind, the plan is customizable can change from $30/mo for Unlimited Talk + Text and 3GB of LTE data per month to $120/mo for Unlimited Talk + Text and 10GB of LTE data.

Fantastic effortpost, however the pricing is wrong for Fi. It's $20 a month for everything but data, then $10 per month for every GB you want. So for the plan you mentioned, it would be $50 per month, not $30.

I was scrolling through trying to find a cheap plan and got excited, but it's really not better pricing than any other MVNO. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Fantastic effortpost, however the pricing is wrong for Fi. It's $20 a month for everything but data, then $10 per month for every GB you want. So for the plan you mentioned, it would be $50 per month, not $30.

I was scrolling through trying to find a cheap plan and got excited, but it's really not better pricing than any other MVNO. :(

Thanks! Sorry about that, hit the wrong key. Fixed now!

You're right, Fi isn't as good as it first seemed if you compare it to other MVNOs.. So far, for me, nothing can beat $55/mo 20GB LTE + unlimited voice and text on Cricket's Advanced Plan.