Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

I was watching a friend play the Kaz mission last night [...]

Let's hope he's not your friend anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
There's a fine balance to be had. Running and gunning isn't terribly fun, but neither is insta-restarting if you even get one reflex. Being stealthy but having a good escape strategy if alarms are raised seems to be a happy medium. I like to sneak around the base priming the radar with C4, then when I have all the radar I blow it and try to sneak around the chaos, that way if I do get spotted at least I don't have infinitely respawning guards on my rear end.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So has anyone found any other places you can go inside MB? I've only been to the second floor of the medical facility that triggered a cutscene.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

ImpAtom posted:

Seriously. The game is a lot more fun if you work on the fly. You can still get good rankings even.

I love the different play styles the game has you do. Collecting intel and going for a perfect infiltration is awesome, but more often than not I manage to miss a patrol, or there's a shift change mid-mission, or some guy walks out of a building behind me. Then it's shooty time for a while until I manage to get away. Continuing the infiltration when everyone is actively looking for me is so intense, like a game of cat and mouse. A killer mouse with guns.

Pulling off perfect stealth is awesome as hell, but I'd get bored if I didn't gently caress up every now and then, I think.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Vintersorg posted:

The main guide says DONT DO THIS!

Just have fun and go back later to get your rank. Just go with the flow and change your strategy up if you slip. poo poo happens.

ImpAtom posted:

Seriously. The game is a lot more fun if you work on the fly. You can still get good rankings even.

I know. It's just not how I've Metal Geared in the past. And it's really fun not having to Metal Gear that way anymore, but I have to teach myself to just go with the flow.

This game is the balls.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Alright I must be extremely retarded because I don't know how to change my emblem. Please send help.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Golden Goat posted:

I might have just got Moby Dick characters confused. Did Snake ever say to call him Ahab back to Ishmael?

And yeah I don't really need to spoiler something that tiny.

If he did, I missed it. :smith:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing I find frustrating is that just killing everyone in sight isn't really a option anymore; you have to clear your area then run away and wait out the extraction time, which in the end is longer than just resetting anyways :/.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^^ What do you mean? I have cleared out a place just fine and they eventually run out of reinforcements

Even with being able to murder freely I still haven't bought any new lethal guns aside from launchers and sniper rifles because the starting AR has a silencer and can pop heads like nothing. Plus the large ammo pool means you can just magdump into whoever you want

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eraflure posted:

Alright I must be extremely retarded because I don't know how to change my emblem. Please send help.

Customize option in the iDroid under the Mother Base tab. You have to be in the helicopter.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

^^^^ What do you mean? I have cleared out a place just fine and they eventually run out of reinforcements

Even with being able to murder freely I still haven't bought any new lethal guns aside from launchers and sniper rifles because the starting AR has a silencer and can pop heads like nothing. Plus the large ammo pool means you can just magdump into whoever you want

Oh maybe it was just the mission I was on, the lovely one with the forts up the mountain and you have to get the intel.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Huh does that phone app work with the PC version?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress, I think I have PTSD from the Honey Bee mission. Wasn't expecting something so difficult that early.

I'm going to assume that when the game tells me that I could have killed the Skull unit it's lying to me, and that sprinting away screaming was the optimal strategy.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Is there a way to see a soldiers levels before I fulton them?

Can you upgrade suppressors from low to high durability?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress, I think I have PTSD from the Honey Bee mission. Wasn't expecting something so difficult that early.

I'm going to assume that when the game tells me that I could have killed the Skull unit it's lying to me, and that sprinting away screaming was the optimal strategy.

Wait you can run away from them? :|

Mission 11 Spoiler
what happens if you run away from Quiet instead of beat her?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Steve2911 posted:

No, you can kill the skulls by hitting them with the honeybee missiles or shooting them before they jump around.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Like half of the missions I've run have rapidly devolved from meticulous planning and sneaking in to brutally murdering everyone in the compound. You even get a bonus when you kill everyone. I'm not even mad about the whole thing.

If you knock out their communications it will stop them from calling in reinforcements. So if I walk by it I often hedge my bets and plant some C4 on the satellite in case something goes wrong.

Rubicon posted:

You get an upgrade that allows you to do this with your scope pretty early, but I think as the ranks rise you have to continually upgrade it if I read the tooltip right.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Abu Dave posted:

Wait you can run away from them? :|

Mission 11 Spoiler
what happens if you run away from Quiet instead of beat her?

You lose 50 heroism and the game makes you feel bad.

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"
Got some playtime late last night. Loved the intro and had a blast messing around in the first mission. I had to call it quits and head to bed as I was overlooking the village where Kaz is, but so far the mechanics feel so good. I'm trying to be less careful than I was in GZ and just enjoy the gameplay. Seems to work well since PP is more forgiving.

Zyste fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 2, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Steve2911 posted:

It seems like the trick with that mission is to actually find cover immediately, and then keep moving so they can't warp to you and do their crazy melee thing? I need to find a clip of how you fight them, because I too ran away screaming after my first few attempts.

The mission itself isn't that hard if you just go lethal/loud through the first section; it's super easy to hide in the caves long enough to let the guards split up so you can get the drop on the prisoner and find out where the Honey Bee is.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
So do you get an NG+ with a higher difficulty at the end or anything? I think the difficulty level is fine but I was just kind of taken back that there aren't like eight difficulties in this one.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
just completed mission 5 before i went to bed last night. Used up an entire stock of tranq darts snoozing a bear. I now have a bunch of goats, a raven and a bear in my apparently well hidden ocean platform zoo. Didn't fulton the raven tho. just picked it up like it was a snack on the ground. Must have just carried it around in my pocket until i got back to Mother Base.

Steve2911 posted:

I didn't even use the Honey Bee. I just dashed for the AA gun thats laying in the middle of the field I cant fulton yet. Hopped on there and shot them up a TON before they blew it up. Only had to hit them with a little bit of my rifle to finish em off.

Syves fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 2, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rubicon posted:

Can you upgrade suppressors from low to high durability?

there is an upgrade for the levels, i think you upgrade your binoculars or whatever
you can call in a supply drop for suppressors

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

For me, Mission 6 was an utter shitshow that gave me a negative score. Didn't think that was possible, but there you go. It did give me the Octopus codename, however, which allowed me to make my new emblem.

:japan:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I killed the Skills with two Honeybey rockets. They just bunched up and I shot them twice. Really kinda undermined their threat.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Look Sir Droids posted:

I know. It's just not how I've Metal Geared in the past. And it's really fun not having to Metal Gear that way anymore, but I have to teach myself to just go with the flow.

This game is the balls.
I concur the game has balls, but it's been like this at least since Snake Eater. And I sure killed plenty of people in the first two. Unless you mean it's easier to get a higher rank now loud style. The beauty of Metal Gear is how you have several options, and it's forgiving enough that it's not a you're seen and have to start over kind of series. But always just enough challenge to keep it feeling intense enough

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

How the gently caress did they get this game to run so good? I'm getting constant 60 fps at max settings and it hasn't dipped once in over 12 hours of playing. My PC isn't even that good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Partial Octopus posted:

How the gently caress did they get this game to run so good? I'm getting constant 60 fps at max settings and it hasn't dipped once in over 12 hours of playing. My PC isn't even that good.
And even on PS4, it's really impressive to see a beautiful game running at 60 fps. 30 fps has pretty much been the standard.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Steve2911 posted:

I found the gameplay seams in that fight and it was kind of like seeing how sausage is made.

Its a pretty standard fight if you stay, sort of just hit and run . If you want to run its kind of annoying, because there are trigger points in the canyon where they will warp to your position and instant kill you if you aren't in the sort of sand/fog storm thing that intermittently happens.

I cheesed it by triggering them to warp into their gently caress you wall, hiding behind a rock, and throwing grenades at the now immobile Skulls. Either killing them or the sand/fogstorm stuff broke them out of the routine and it was just mopping up the last 2 at half health with an assault rifle.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Speaking of emblems, is there any way to apply an emblem to my chopper?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Golashes posted:

So do you get an NG+ with a higher difficulty at the end or anything? I think the difficulty level is fine but I was just kind of taken back that there aren't like eight difficulties in this one.

Later on you'll unlock a handful of remixed missions. They come in three flavours: Subsistence (no equipment from the start and no buddies) total stealth, and extreme.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm far enough in that none of the spoilers so far have spoiled me, but people need to learn to use them. Goddamn. An entire post that is spoiled is useless, people have to mouse over it if they want to see what you're talking about and it defeats the whole purpose. Same thing with tagging Holy poo poo! or WOW BEST THING EVER! with no context.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really, really want to swim in the water around Mother Base. It's so blue and serene. If I was a soldier there I'd beg Kaz to build a little platform at the bottom where you can safely do some doggy paddling.

Is that in this video game? Can I swim with my dog and my burly soldier friends? When will I unlock this essential feature?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Man, I love how dumb the guards are. Full on conga line of tranq shooting people in the face until the silencer wore out and things got loud at the communication outpost in the 1st mission.

Then I took over a nearby mortar and blew up the satellite dish and put one into the pile of sleeping guards for good measure before recovering the intel on Miller.

Had to quit for the night shortly after that because I got home from work late and had an early start today, but GOTY, definitely.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The Backup, Back Down missions is amazing for ramboing. I landed my helicopter in the Supply Base and mowed everything down with the minigun. Then destroyed tanks and a helicopter by firing a rocket launcher from horseback.

This game is the goddamn best.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Steve2911 posted:

I really, really want to swim in the water around Mother Base. If I was a soldier there I'd beg Kaz to build a little platform at the bottom where you can safely do some doggy paddling.

Is that in this video game? Can I swim with my dog and my burly soldier friends? When will I unlock this essential feature?

You can't even pet the doggy. Maybe that's why Konami canned him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Back to the Kaz rescue mission. How did everybody avoid the Skulls? Cause I just ran D-Horse through them and prayed. It worked, but there is an Objective to not be seen by them. So it's possible. Can you kill them?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Triggerhappypilot posted:

You lose 50 heroism and the game makes you feel bad.

Game tells you to run for it and chase down your mission objective but then yells at you when you follow orders.

Then again I don't know why anyone wouldn't stay and fight besides assuming it was scripted and you couldn't fight

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

Don't know if I was lucky or not but when I got out of the caves, I had a jeep parked on the stairs. Jumped in, ride out of the canyon. Done! Don't you all had the jeep spawned there???

But the Skulls jumped twice on my hood, thumping it hard, almost put it on flames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Is there a way to get the music that plays in the Medical Platform cell? I looked all around for a cassette player but it looks like it's being piped in through a speaker system. I want those tunes though!

• Locked thread