Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I tried. Thread closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
GBS 2.0 is the worst

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat moba mafia sounded so cool too

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
what is mafia if not a bunch of gbs garbage?

what about the writing or debate forum those people might like mafia.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Unless TNL wants to run a Civil War game, I feel like starting a new mafia universe based on the events that led up to the Civil War. All history prior to the first game's commencement would be intact, but the universe would change based on in-game activity and final results. The first game would start on November 21, 1855 in the Kansas Territory - [The American Dream] 1855's Bleeding Kansas - The Wakarusa War!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Merk do you post regularly in GBS? Cause Capps game worked because he's one of them and it had the flavour of (and was immediately after) one of Atma's adventure threads. Like that is a whole bunch of rules for a GBS post.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Asiina posted:

Merk do you post regularly in GBS? Cause Capps game worked because he's one of them and it had the flavour of (and was immediately after) one of Atma's adventure threads. Like that is a whole bunch of rules for a GBS post.

I copied Highwire's rules from his last GBS game and took out stuff that didn't matter.

I do not post in GBS.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm leaving signups open for my game for one more day, but if it doesn't fill up I'm closing it. I perpetually need 3 more people.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737678

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Gnarlyhotep is a pos

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

if only there was an rsf where a spooky ghost could post republican primary mafia

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

merk posted:

Unless TNL wants to run a Civil War game, I feel like starting a new mafia universe based on the events that led up to the Civil War. All history prior to the first game's commencement would be intact, but the universe would change based on in-game activity and final results. The first game would start on November 21, 1855 in the Kansas Territory - [The American Dream] 1855's Bleeding Kansas - The Wakarusa War!

Ah yes, if we do this and Wizard of Oz mafia then my state's claims to fame will be all used up.

Tbh each person could play one of the cities that was vying to be the state capital, there were so many.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

BottleKnight posted:

Ah yes, if we do this and Wizard of Oz mafia then my state's claims to fame will be all used up.

Tbh each person could play one of the cities that was vying to be the state capital, there were so many.

Dwight Eisenhower

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think we should do:
- banner ads (if they are even remotely effective) to the New Game Announcement Thread
- themed games for other threads in which we post (e.g. I am a regular in the Steven Universe thread)
- the OCCASIONAL post in the TG Games Recruiting Megathread. (If we spam it too much nobody will come.)

I dunno. without GBS we're kind of hosed.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
do people actually post new games in the new games announcement thread

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

uranus posted:

do mods not? it seems like they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

I always advertise my games in the New Game Announcement thread.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

merk posted:

Dwight Eisenhower

I love ol' Dwight and have been to his library in Abilene several times over but I guess I thought of him more as a person than a claim to fame.

He was a great Republican though. I wish my state liked politicians more like him and less like Reagan.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

Yeah. I'd say 90% of mods do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

uranus posted:

I do and that's all that matters

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i am a bad mod

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

uranus posted:

i am a bad mod

I was just kidding derp :P

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I kinda wish we as a community had managed our alumni better. An "alumni game," if well done, could have brought a few players back from retirement semi-permanently, rather than burn them out and remind them why they quit in the first place. Targeted messages to former players might have been helpful too.

I know woulda coulda shoulda, wishes and horses, and all that. Still.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The massive alumni "game" was the worst thing we have done as a community.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
that's the thing though, "we" didn't do it, but we all bear the burden from it collectively. it's dumb and I wish we could turn back the clock on it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think complain about attempts to solve a problem without doing anything about it are much worse than a game that was clearly marketed as a social activity but I'm biased

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

merk posted:

The massive alumni "game" was the worst thing we have done as a community.

No, I think that still goes to Ecco's zombie game or whatever it was. The alumni game at least brought back some nostalgia.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

"Bear the burden" Jesus Christ go outside

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pander posted:

No, I think that still goes to Ecco's zombie game or whatever it was. The alumni game at least brought back some nostalgia.

nah and also that was more an art piece than a game

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Everyone is the hero of their own story

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

EccoRaven posted:

nah and also that was more an art piece than a game
Well that's great, and I'm glad you posted in it the creative discussion forum instead of presenting it as a game of mafia with typical rul...oh, wait.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I could make a Diablo 3-themed game in TGR and post a link to it in the Diablo 3 thread (and possibly the various sub-threads) in Games if the Games mods are okay with that. There has been a massive resurgence of Diablo 3 players recently due to the new season having started on Friday so at the very least it'll get seen by a bunch of people. Power Roles would be the different classes, generic Nephalem as Vanillas, evil dudes as Scum, and story characters like Tyrael/Cain etc potential 3p

I think that'd work

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pander posted:

Well that's great, and I'm glad you posted in it the creative discussion forum instead of presenting it as a game of mafia with typical rul...oh, wait.

:colbert: it was a triumph of art and I will hear no dissent.

anyway it's just sad that we have to rely on recruits to keep the community going that's all. It would have been nice if we had some means of regularly calling back alumni without pestering them.

Kumbamontu posted:

I think that'd work
that sounds like a great idea

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

just Make Fun Games and let the rest sort itself out imo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Conversion Mafia only needs two more players to reach the 20 required.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Today has been a bit of a shitshow at work (applications exploding omg :supaburn:) but I'll see what I can do

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

I kinda wish we as a community had managed our alumni better. An "alumni game," if well done, could have brought a few players back from retirement semi-permanently, rather than burn them out and remind them why they quit in the first place. Targeted messages to former players might have been helpful too.

I know woulda coulda shoulda, wishes and horses, and all that. Still.

Banner ads maybe.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

My return to mafia was replacing into that mega game so it was a good thing to do imo

Make it a yearly feature, taking signups all through December. Start it January 1 with however many players there are and let it sort itself out.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Honestly we've had a good amount of new people lately. Kashuno, TMMadman and SamVimes come to mind. A lot of newer players were in the XCOM game recently. I think we have new people, it's just that a lot of people are a little busier atm. It's not catastrophic but stuff like banner ads and gradually posting in other threads about themed games are great ideas that should slowly but surely bring in new blood. We all win!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey I need a replacement for my big game; it looks like a big beast to tackle BUT:
A) a lot of it is fluff that can be skipped
B) I am here to answer any questions you have and guide you to specific players/posts of interest to orient you
C) you would be doing me a big favor.

The game:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3734881

The player:
EXAKT Science

thanks in advance!

~ e.t.r.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

EccoRaven posted:

hey I need a replacement for my big game; it looks like a big beast to tackle BUT:
A) a lot of it is fluff that can be skipped
B) I am here to answer any questions you have and guide you to specific players/posts of interest to orient you
C) you would be doing me a big favor.

The game:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3734881

The player:
EXAKT Science

thanks in advance!

~ e.t.r.

I'll do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

I could make a Diablo 3-themed game in TGR and post a link to it in the Diablo 3 thread (and possibly the various sub-threads) in Games if the Games mods are okay with that. There has been a massive resurgence of Diablo 3 players recently due to the new season having started on Friday so at the very least it'll get seen by a bunch of people. Power Roles would be the different classes, generic Nephalem as Vanillas, evil dudes as Scum, and story characters like Tyrael/Cain etc potential 3p

I think that'd work

When I made heroes of the stormfia mafia I posted about it in the Hots thread and got some people to play, but none of them have really stuck around much. Sir Sam Vines posted in this thread the other day, but don't think he has played a bunch of mafia games since that one. Maybe a couple of those players played a couple games? Dunno