Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ornithology posted:

What's the deal with Hyunmin being such a threat at Janggi? Is it just because he was happy when it came up in the deathmatch list? Don't get me wrong, the guy is smart, but he also has a huge ego and seems to forget that other players can come up with sound strategies as well. I think it would be a fitting end to his arc for him to lose at his own specialty.

Dongmin was pretty confident at Janggi in season 3 and decided to coach Hyunmin. Apparently he only won literally the first test game and Hyunmin, also a third-dan Go player iirc, beat him in the rest. Hyunmin then proceeded to beat Jong-Bum in Janggi and destroyed Dongmin in the Final Match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
:siren: EXTREME WAYS :siren:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
It probably wouldn't have made in difference to the end result but they really need to get rid of that stupid draw rule with their betting deathmatches

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This episode and BTS are everything I ever wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgV5-Cqe-Y

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I lol'ed hard at the double extreme ways

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Tonfa posted:

This episode and BTS are everything I ever wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgV5-Cqe-Y

Dealer nuna :swoon: :swoon:

As for the episode, extreme ways! I definitely laughed pretty hard at that one.

Anyway, I think the right person won. I'm sad Jinho got eliminated but he really didn't do anything and he got outplayed. Kyunghoon needs to just beat Dongmin and Hyunmin now and this will be the best season. That said, Dongmin was definitely showing his everything-prowess again on those minigame puzzles.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Clocks posted:

That said, Dongmin was definitely showing his everything-prowess again on those minigame puzzles.

Actually the one mistake Team Dongmin made was having Dongmin as the puzzle solver of the back half. Having his helper who was insanely good at the scale game be there for round 20 would have been a blowout.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
The stupid 10 Chip penalty if you fold on a double bet was silly. That was a hard Deathmatch for me. I still like Jinho for some reason, but I'm really wanting Tittygod to win the whole thing.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Best episode yet. DM was insane.
Anyone else pause the screen to try and solve the match games?
Couldn't help myself...

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Hahaha of course T.G. defeats Jinho in poker whoa in a quadruple draw pot that's crazy! dollars to donuts he beats hyunmin in twelve jangii next week

this show is scripted as gently caress.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
EXTREME WAYS ARE BACK AGAIN :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Hahaha of course T.G. defeats Jinho in poker whoa in a quadruple draw pot that's crazy! dollars to donuts he beats hyunmin in twelve jangii next week

this show is scripted as gently caress.

If this show was scripted, Junghyun would have knocked out Jungmoon w1

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Good episode.

Extreme ways fakeout was hilarious. Music choices were nice (Person of Interest theme was in there at one point). There was actually a GOOD match of double-sided poker, with Tittygod batting 2 for 2 on Kingslaying. Just one to go! Main match seemed slightly awkward in that only first place and last place mattered, so after one player got eliminated everybody had to go all in on that last round which kinda undermined the betting element, but still the minigames were pretty frantic and it was interesting seeing the different strategies that people came up with for relaying information or making deals.

"What is he doing here? Is he a professional friend?" about Hyunmin's partner was hilarious too.

It's also funny seeing garnet totals of 99, 1, 0. Though at this stage it doesn't matter any more since the prize pool of the 3rd place player gets added back to the pool. If this didn't happen then Hyunmin would basically be untargetable, you have to let him win or else he takes 99% of the prize money with him.

Tonfa posted:

Actually the one mistake Team Dongmin made was having Dongmin as the puzzle solver of the back half. Having his helper who was insanely good at the scale game be there for round 20 would have been a blowout.

I disagree here, or rather I think they made the correct decision at the time but it happened not to work out for them. Yeah Dongmin's friend was very good at Scales, but he was mediocre at the other two games. Meanwhile Dongmin was good at all the games and very good at Matchsticks. So maybe Dongmin had a less pronounced strength than his partner, but I think he was overall stronger. I'll concede that winning both cards in the minigame round is significantly more valuable than just winning one card, and if you lose games you can minimize your losses just by folding but still if you've giving away card control a lot of the time then that gives the other players opportunities to lure you into traps. And yes TeamDongmin probably would've won the all important round 20 if Dongmin's friend had been playing the minigames, but they didn't know round 20 would be scales before hand and there was only a 1 in 3 chance of it happening. If Round 20 had been Matchsticks for example then they'd be kicking themselves for not putting Dongmin in the minigame.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Elite posted:

but they didn't know round 20 would be scales before hand and there was only a 1 in 3 chance of it happening.

By the time they had to make a decision on who was playing minigames they very easily should have known. There was a 100% chance of it happening because they were going in an easily predictable and obvious pattern of Match -> Scales -> Puzzle. What they really had no way of knowing by that point was that Jinho was going to be the elimination candidate after losing everything on the 11th round.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clever cheat from tittygod this game. I always like those.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
If there's another season I'd like to see Hyunmin and Kyunghoon's guests as players, Hyunmin's guy has been in two episodes and won twice, and Kyunghoon's just seemed quite fun.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My heart... I can't take this! This show is killing me.

JINHO GOT poo poo CARDS ALL GAME WTF

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

yes, because Kyunghoon deliberately folded whenever he could see that the next card in the dealer shoe was a low card so Jinho would get that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Exercu posted:

yes, because Kyunghoon deliberately folded whenever he could see that the next card in the dealer shoe was a low card so Jinho would get that.

It was like that all game, not just at the end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Shoulda given Dealer Nuna a bigger bribe :colbert:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It was like that all game, not just at the end.

It was certainly edited to give the impression that it was a late game tactic but he could well have been doing it for longer. You are right though that Kyunghoon has had more than his fair share of luck in the deathmatches, but he's been exceptionally good at exploiting the advantages that chance gives him though so its not like its undeserved.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MisterZimbu posted:

:siren: EXTREME WAYS :siren:

I just got to this part and yes.

a million loving times yes this is was too good hahahahah

E: holy poo poo jinho going all in and then hyunmin's partner calling it was so loving crazy. I actually couldn't believe it

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 2, 2015

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I like how the helpers looked better than the Genius players at the minigames during the first half. It was hilarious to see Dongmin, Kyunghoon, and Jinho look like game idiots for a brief moment.

Until the moment the cards were revealed, I really believed Jinho had it. I still can't believed Hyunmin's professional friend called it and I was in suspense the whole time.

The PDs really baited Dealer-nuna for that BTS segment. They know what the fans want. At least it was a cute moment :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I cannot handle this Tittygod anymore, I hope he wins it all and beats Dongmin in the finals, even if Hyunmin's my boi and was clutch as gently caress this episode.

Also, it's a pity that Jinho didn't get to do much this entire season. At least he went out with a good deathmatch. But seriously tho, Kyunghoon is a BEAST, what the gently caress. The little card cheat was smart stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dias posted:

I cannot handle this Tittygod anymore, I hope he wins it all and beats Dongmin in the finals, even if Hyunmin's my boi and was clutch as gently caress this episode.

Also, it's a pity that Jinho didn't get to do much this entire season. At least he went out with a good deathmatch. But seriously tho, Kyunghoon is a BEAST, what the gently caress. The little card cheat was smart stuff.

He really did eat Sangmin's soul and take his power.

I think the guest choices were pretty hilarious though.
"Hey Tittygod, my guest is the memorization champion of Korea. Who do you have?"
"My college roomie."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Tunicate posted:

Clever cheat from tittygod this game. I always like those.

Yeah, I certainly wanted Jinho to win but at least he lost mostly from clever play from his opponent and a little bit of poor luck and "lets carry over all the draws" bullshit, rather than pure bad luck and major "carry over draws" bullshit like last time. I didn't notice it until it was pointed out, but it would have been nice if Jinho spotted Kyunghoon was gaming the card order and peeking at upcoming cards, since due to the table positions he had to obviously crane his head forward to look every time.

I must admit I'm surprised that Hyunmin is in the best position going into the semis. Guaranteed Janggi deathmatch, all the garnets (though that doesn't really matter)... I mean, maybe someone can beat him at Janggi considering they'd have a week to prepare in advance, but still...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Titty god loving OWNS

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Man, that episode was awesome.

Now that we're here, I think I'd actually prefer a Hyunmin/Kyunghoon final. Hyunmin got pretty hosed last season because everyone stacked their support behind Dongmin. Kyunghoon would probably face a similar fate if he had to play Dongmin, but I think Hyunmin and Kyunghoon would split support more evenly.

Also Jinho was right, it's time to make way for the new generation Old Man Dongmin :colbert:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
gently caress DOUBLE SIDED POKER!!!! Seriously that game actually offends me. Still the main game was entertaining enough, calling that all in was pretty daebak.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Double Sided Poker is the best poker deathmatch but the rule where you still have to pay the 10 chip penalty if you fold against a double side bet is really dumb.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Double Sided Poker is the best poker deathmatch but the rule where you still have to pay the 10 chip penalty if you fold against a double side bet is really dumb.

:agreed:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, it's pretty harsh that you can be penalized solely on the luck of the draw to that degree. If you told a pro poker player that the opponent could make a bet and if you fold you give up 10x the big blind automatically, he'd call it the dumbest thing he's ever heard.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Paying 10 even when folding is a pretty harsh and bad rule. Good on Kyunghoon for seeing the card cheat and exploiting it, but I wonder if the producers of the show actually realized that was going on. I never felt that the death matches had a cheat like that before. Also, people should know by now that Kyunghoon cannot be bluffed.

Also, haha at Kyunghoon's helper being explicitly told "Make Hyunmin last" and then helping him out anyway.

Max fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 3, 2015

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I remember last time they played this, I also noticed you could see the face of the next card. I remember thinking that it seemed unfair that the cards were tilted towards one player because that was possible information they could use (in this case they were tilted towards Jinho - not sure how Kyunghoon pulled off peeking at it because it seemed to be facing away from him).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm sure someone mentioned it in the thread during the season where it debuted as a death match. Seemed like bullshit but I guess it was left in until someone admitted to taking advantage.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
1- Solid main match
2- Edge of my seat deathmatch
3- Incredible extreme ways moment
4- I love dealer nuna, pageant runner up irl but winner of my heart :swoon: but that moment was 100% staged

(this show really knows it's audience, I think)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I have often wondered what it is they're eating.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
That was a good episode, the only thing I want now is a Kyunghoon/Dongmin death match with Kyunghoon going to the finals. Pick up your Kingslayer title!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Honestly, what I really want for the next episode is a Dongmin/Hyunmin deathmatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
EXTREME WAYS was loving hilarious.
Bravo to Tittygod for the card read.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, it's pretty harsh that you can be penalized solely on the luck of the draw to that degree. If you told a pro poker player that the opponent could make a bet and if you fold you give up 10x the big blind automatically, he'd call it the dumbest thing he's ever heard.

It was either High Stakes Poker or Poker After Dark that had a prop bet that if you win a hand with 7-2 you got 5k cold hard cash of every other player and it was an amazing rule.

Doesn't change the fact that it's dumb in this DM. I think the Draw rule is even more egregious though. As a comeback mechanic the double sided bet makes more sense.

NowonSA posted:

all the garnets (though that doesn't really matter)

It kind of does matter because it guarantees he doesn't get picked for the deathmatch. Wait, are they still the rules? What happens if he goes home next episode? Do they play for a prize pool of 8 garnets?