Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

i dont even know what the aprts are called. the wall plugs for network cables?

i guess a smart man would run them to a high quality switch? and so maybe could branch off later?

i need to put an aditional wireless hotspot in this house somehow too i guess i could branch off that/ who knows

http://www.bunnings.co.nz/deta-cat-6-double-outlet-wallplate-_p00226824

that seems expensive

yeah it's pricy from local retailers, I paid $16 each for my cat6 floor jacks, maybe mono price is cheaper?

the only tools you need are a wire stripper and a hole punch to do the jacks. it's super easy and it owns

my setup is modem -> wireless router -> cat6 to wall -> living room -> cat6 wall -> switch port on wireless router with same ssid but different channel and dhcp turned off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
theyre called keystone jacks. you attach the wire to them with a punch down tool, like this one

to install it cleanly in the drywall get one of these plastic "mud ring" things

and install a plate and keystone jack

wire it the same on both ends. in the US its "B" on both ends; in yerp i think they use "A". nfc what the usual thing in NZ is. it doesnt matter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm ok... that one i linked for $40 came with tools pparently. maybe just easy to get that and be done. or idk

ahmeni posted:

same ssid but different channel and dhcp turned off

can you explain this? so you set the channels to be different? to avoid interferance? but the devices connecting to it dont care? currently they are set to auto channel but i only have one wireless hotspot which is my modem too

dhcp? isnt that the thing that assigns ip addresses? why turn that off?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

theyre called keystone jacks. you attach the wire to them with a punch down tool, like this one

wire it the same on both ends. in the US its "B" on both ends; in yerp i think they use "A". nfc what the usual thing in NZ is. it doesnt matter

so i'll open up the network cable and inside will be a bunch of wires, i dont need to strip them, punching them down does that for me right? and ultaitmely as long as they are wired the same at both ends it doesnt really matter what colours go where although i presume those bits are colour coded anyway?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it does matter a bit because twisted pairs are magic

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Raluek posted:

i think the only reason for a and b is if u want to make a crossover cable

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bloody posted:

dis, please comply with eia/tia specifications in all ur cabling :tipshat:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Panty Saluter posted:

i think the only reason for a and b is if u want to make a crossover cable

yea a-to-b is crossover so do either a or b. but in general stuff in yerp is a and stuff in US is b. from what ive been told. it doesnt matter

echinopsis posted:

so i'll open up the network cable and inside will be a bunch of wires, i dont need to strip them, punching them down does that for me right? and ultaitmely as long as they are wired the same at both ends it doesnt really matter what colours go where although i presume those bits are colour coded anyway?

correct. except do pay attention to the colors. you can switch pairs around, but that just makes it complicated. just follow tia-568a or tia-568b. thats what the jacks are color coded to.

Sabretooth
Sep 18, 2004

You look delicious. Care to join me for dinner?
Pillbug

Usagi-Sauce posted:

ohh that sounds like it could work pretty nicely! I've been scratching my chin over similar approaches involving rendering three skewed-projection-matrix buffers aligned so that each triangle is half a parallelogram-pixel from each of them and doing some loving wizard poo poo to work out what value the triangle "should" have based on that, but that sounds like a much more direct approach

honestly the only reason I'm still puzzling over the other ways to do it is because I'd really like to just get arbitrary antialiasing - it doesn't sound like your approach lets you simultaneously use the msaa to extract colour values for the half-pixels and actually antialias the final render (which i haven't given up on wanting, even though the pixels are the size of my fingernails)

meanwhile the software engine has geometrically correct (tm) antialiasing but maaaan is it getting slow and also i can't work on it now because my laptop got blasted into the home for infinite losers and won't be back for a few more episodes

you could do 8xMSAA and use 4 of the samples per triangle to get some AA. The standard D3D sample pattern for 8xMSAA partitions into two half-pixel triangles reasonably well, and everyone just implements the D3D sample patterns in hardware since D3D specifies a fixed pattern and OpenGL leaves it as "implementation defined". in GL you can query the array of sub-pixel sample offsets for an MSAA target to make sure you're picking the right indices when doing the reconstruction.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/Ff476218(v=VS.85).aspx

i was also thinking you might be able to do supersampling by doubling the RT resolution and picking the relevant sets of samples from each 2x2 pixel area. if you diagram it out with the sampling pattern from 8xMSAA it looks like each triangle would be picking all 8 samples from one pixel (right-top or left-bottom), and 4 from each of the left-top and right-bottom pixels. 16 samples per triangle-pixel might be a little overkill, though. i think it would also work with the 4xMSAA sample pattern for 8 samples per triangle-pixel.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Raluek posted:

tia-568a is the telephone-guy wiring standard. tia-568b is the datacom-guy standard. don't use mixed a/b crossovers anymore because they're not gig-ethernet compatible since you're only swapping two pairs. gig-e standards compliant hardware is auto-crossover anyways so theres no point bothering unless you do something stupid and get legacy cisco hardware. ps don't do that.

Bloody posted:

yes keep the twists as close to the jack as you can or else the bits will escape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxNZoPcnP4

and learn to love monoprice and their sweet, sweet cheap poo poo

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=cat6+keystone+jack
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=105&cp_id=10514&cs_id=1051401
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=105&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10509&cs_id=1050903&p_id=7043&seq=1&format=2

and you can save :10bux: if you don't bother with cat6 (not like youre doing 10gig inside your house anyways) and just get cat5e which is good enough for gigabit up to 328ft

also and.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 2, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankis for the tips. should have been its own thread :)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

jesus fuckin christ
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?82266-Unreal-Engine-4-9-Released!
i havent done anything in ue4 for a while, lacking motivation etc but my god. they must have at least a dozen people working on that

can i use it to make a city builder yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk what you mean. i guess so? i used blueprints to make procedural things and buildings would be relatively easy as far as thigs go

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
if your house is double brick, the easiest way I found to install ethernet (or any other wiring) is to drill a hole in the wall, take a tile off the roof, poke a conduit down the cavity until you reach the hole in the wall, then shove the ethernet down the conduit.

leave the conduit in the wall, you'll need it eventually.

lol if your house isn't double brick or if you have a tin roof.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

idk what you mean. i guess so? i used blueprints to make procedural things and buildings would be relatively easy as far as thigs go

this way lies groverness

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

CrazyLittle posted:

tia-568a is the telephone-guy wiring standard. tia-568b is the datacom-guy standard.

also and.

Why is that? Does A allow you to keep voice on one pair or something?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Panty Saluter posted:

Why is that? Does A allow you to keep voice on one pair or something?

You can do that with either standard. Literally the only difference is you swap the position of the green and orange pair.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

echinopsis posted:

jesus fuckin christ
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?82266-Unreal-Engine-4-9-Released!
i havent done anything in ue4 for a while, lacking motivation etc but my god. they must have at least a dozen people working on that
soooo this open-source engine thing has been something of a success then

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

if your house is double brick, the easiest way I found to install ethernet (or any other wiring) is to drill a hole in the wall, take a tile off the roof, poke a conduit down the cavity until you reach the hole in the wall, then shove the ethernet down the conduit.

leave the conduit in the wall, you'll need it eventually.

lol if your house isn't double brick or if you have a tin roof.

i dont think any house in nz has double brick. we hate insulation apparently

coffeetable posted:

soooo this open-source engine thing has been something of a success then

yeah maybe? theyve certainly made it difficult for any competition

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

last time i looked into ue it couldn't do procedural terrain which is pretty important for a city builder imo , something about it precalculating all the lighting?? i think i'll look into it again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you use the built in terrain poo poo then yeah no you cant

if you make you own terrian out of meshes or the new custom mesh then yeah you can

but youre right about pre-calculating light. you cant procedurally create something then bake it. unfortuantely

but dynamic lighting is getting better all the time with newer dynamic GI systems and disatnce ray something or rathe that i dont get

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

they make keystone inserts that are rj-45 couplers. that means you can use premade cables instead of punching down your own

it might be worth it if you don't need a lot of runs

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

punching cable is surprisingly zen

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

punching cable is surprisingly zen

punch cable receive ACKs

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

can you explain this? so you set the channels to be different? to avoid interferance? but the devices connecting to it dont care? currently they are set to auto channel but i only have one wireless hotspot which is my modem too

dhcp? isnt that the thing that assigns ip addresses? why turn that off?

different channels to avoid interference yeah
you disable dhcp on the second router because your primary router is already handling addresses and your second router basically becomes a switch with wireless ap and it no longer gives a gently caress about anything ip related

this is basically just a foolproof way to do stupid simple network extensions without giving a gently caress about bridging

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah second router for sure. the rest makes sense! cheers

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Sabretooth posted:

you could do 8xMSAA and use 4 of the samples per triangle to get some AA. The standard D3D sample pattern for 8xMSAA partitions into two half-pixel triangles reasonably well, and everyone just implements the D3D sample patterns in hardware since D3D specifies a fixed pattern and OpenGL leaves it as "implementation defined". in GL you can query the array of sub-pixel sample offsets for an MSAA target to make sure you're picking the right indices when doing the reconstruction.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/Ff476218(v=VS.85).aspx

i was also thinking you might be able to do supersampling by doubling the RT resolution and picking the relevant sets of samples from each 2x2 pixel area. if you diagram it out with the sampling pattern from 8xMSAA it looks like each triangle would be picking all 8 samples from one pixel (right-top or left-bottom), and 4 from each of the left-top and right-bottom pixels. 16 samples per triangle-pixel might be a little overkill, though. i think it would also work with the 4xMSAA sample pattern for 8 samples per triangle-pixel.

poo poo i was like "yes this is really sensible and i will do such a thing just as soon as my laptop gets back"

but

now i'm going "wouldn't it be cool if you rendered to a penrose tiling instead of a regular grid"

there is no hope for me

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

oh yeah second router for sure. the rest makes sense! cheers

echopenis cut the orange wire

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

CrazyLittle posted:

echopenis cut the orange wire

cut all those wires, wtf is that sloppy rear end bullshit

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
the NEXT episode

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hed posted:

the NEXT episode
hey hey heyy-eyyyyyy

smoke weed every day

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Panty Saluter posted:

cut all those wires, wtf is that sloppy rear end bullshit

you could say that wiring was done fast and furious

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
not my project but will appeal to ppl itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE

building a tiled hut from scratch. literally from scratch. from dirt and sticks.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

my spare time project is understanding the 3d math behind shaders well enough to solve some little problems

it's not going well

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
3d math is really hard

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
edit: poo poo, that doesn't really make sense. whatever.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm making carbon fiber sheets

just a test piece atm

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 8, 2015

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm making carbon fiber sheets

just a test piece atm

oh it's a piece of sheet alright

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

ahmeni posted:

oh it's a piece of sheet alright

lol

Adbot