Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Beefstorm posted:

Pittsburgh goon here. T-Mobile works pretty well. Pretty much as long as you are not going further north than Cranberry, further south than Washington, further east than Monroeville, or further west than the airport, you will be good. Outside of that zone, the service can be described best as "eh".

In other words, if you live in the greater Pittsburgh area, you are going to be just fine. Get the free iPhone for a week and test the service yourself.

I'm a little north of Cranberry in Butler but the coverage maps show full LTE so I might take them up on the trial IPhone for testing. Your card doesn't get charged unless you don't return it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

BrownieVK posted:

I'm a little north of Cranberry in Butler but the coverage maps show full LTE so I might take them up on the trial IPhone for testing. Your card doesn't get charged unless you don't return it right?

Yeah. They do put a hold on your card so I wouldn't put it on your debit card.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Uthor posted:

I recently installed Tmobile's Visual Voicemail app. I've also noticed a bunch of SMS messages being sent to "122". A quick Google search points to this being related to Visual Voicemail. Is that right? I just wanna make sure this isn't something I should worry about.

Which platform are you using? I have a dual SIM Lumia 640 (WinPho) which doesn't have VVM for some reason. Please tell me you're talking about Windows Phone phones. I need it back but I've never heard of an app for VVM.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You need to port away from T-Mobile to another carrier for a month.

I did this through google voice which was much quicker. Not sure if google voice exists any more (weren't they canning it?).

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I've had the $30 plan for a year or two now, and I like it a lot and have never gone over my minutes because I don't talk on the phone much...but I just started getting warnings that I'm about to run out of minutes, which doesn't seem right at all. I checked my account, and it says I've used 98 of 100 minutes, but when I looked at the call history on my phone, it says i've only used about 70 minutes (which is already higher than normal for me, but adds up as I got put on hold for a total of 30 minutes last week making stupid phone calls :argh:). Anyone have any idea what's going on? Do cell providers just sometimes gently caress this up, or have I been secretly sleep-calling people and then deleting the history?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Rah! posted:

I've had the $30 plan for a year or two now, and I like it a lot and have never gone over my minutes because I don't talk on the phone much...but I just started getting warnings that I'm about to run out of minutes, which doesn't seem right at all. I checked my account, and it says I've used 98 of 100 minutes, but when I looked at the call history on my phone, it says i've only used about 70 minutes (which is already higher than normal for me, but adds up as I got put on hold for a total of 30 minutes last week making stupid phone calls :argh:). Anyone have any idea what's going on? Do cell providers just sometimes gently caress this up, or have I been secretly sleep-calling people and then deleting the history?

I don't know the definitive answer to this on Tmobile but historically cell carriers round up minutes, eg 1:01 is 2 minutes. Most cell phones just add up minutes by the actual number.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr Funkface posted:

Which platform are you using? I have a dual SIM Lumia 640 (WinPho) which doesn't have VVM for some reason. Please tell me you're talking about Windows Phone phones. I need it back but I've never heard of an app for VVM.

Sorry, Android 4 Lyf over here.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm on windows 10 preview at the moment (which works perfectly with VVM so far) but IIRC it's just a setting under "phone" in the "applications" page of settings.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
My father currently uses aPay As You Go plan where AFAIK there is no monthly charge and he just gets these Prepaid Refill Cards everyone once in a while. He uses it very little, basically for emergencies/a car phone.

Right now he's using some dumphone, I think a Nokia 6030. He's looking for one with Bluetooth. It looks like the LG 450 would fit the bill. If he were to go the smartphone route, I suggested the Moto g since it's inexpensive compared to other smartphone and not 'cheap'. If he did that, all he'd need to do is take out his SIM card*, get it cut, and then be good to go, right?

The places my parents went to were saying he'd need a new plan, etc, but I feel they were just trying to upsell them given their ignorance on the matter.

*Even if the SIM card is built into the phone, he'd just buy the new one for like a dollar with no change to his plan, right?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone know if its possible to take my prepaid balance to a post paid plan? I'm currently on the dork plan and have $60 of credit on that account. I want to switch to the family plan that is $30 each for four lines with 10gb data and unlimited talk and text. The problem is the promo expires Sept 8 and I don't want to waste the $60 credit I already have. Is there a special line I could call and they could do that, like retentions or something?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm on the $30 nerd plan right now, but my job just changed and I'm getting a $40 per month cell phone stipend. I'm on the fence about getting the $70 5gb plan, or the $80 unlimited. Does tethering pull from the data stash? In other words, on the 5 gb plan, suppose I have 10 gb stored up in my data stash. Would my tethering be limited to 5 gb or 10 gb?

Also, is there data coverage in the "partner" areas on the map?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 22, 2015

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Upgraded my Nexus 4 to Android 5.1.1. Since then, I'm unable to send out multimedia or group messages using the stock Messaging app.It just says "Sending"

Anyone have any similar occurrences or suggestions on how to fix it? I did reset my APNs to default settings, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Edit: Nevermind, seems to be working after restarting twice.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 23, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What do we expect to change between the latest preview and the release of marshmellow?

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014
I ordered a new phone from T-Mobile, and my shipment came with my order form plus an order form that belongs to another person. Should I let T-Mobile know, or should I just shred it and forget it?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

If there's CPI on it you should tell T-Mobile so they get their employees straightened out.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I have one day left in my Test Drive on an iPhone 5S and while I'm loving the data side of things, I've been issues with voice calls not over WiFi. Sometimes incoming callers won't hear me at all, and other times when the audio quality is fine there's some pretty bad repetition on both sides of the line.

Is this a common experience? I'm in Indianapolis and the coverage map looks excellent. I'm reading something saying that turning LTE off might be a solution because iPhones don't fully support T-Mobile's LTE? If I made the switch there would be an iPhone 5C and an iPhone 6S+ (when that's released), so if the older phone is going to experience voice problems we might have to stick with AT&T.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Drythe posted:

If there's CPI on it you should tell T-Mobile so they get their employees straightened out.

For the uninitiated, CPI = Customer Proprietary Information. Basically any personal info T-Mobile has on you is considered CPI.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Millions posted:

I have one day left in my Test Drive on an iPhone 5S and while I'm loving the data side of things, I've been issues with voice calls not over WiFi. Sometimes incoming callers won't hear me at all, and other times when the audio quality is fine there's some pretty bad repetition on both sides of the line.

Is this a common experience? I'm in Indianapolis and the coverage map looks excellent. I'm reading something saying that turning LTE off might be a solution because iPhones don't fully support T-Mobile's LTE? If I made the switch there would be an iPhone 5C and an iPhone 6S+ (when that's released), so if the older phone is going to experience voice problems we might have to stick with AT&T.

A 5S supports 2 of 3 Tmo LTE bands. I haven't run into this problem before so it might be the phone itself or you might just have crummy reception. Have you tried turning off VoLTE to see if regular voice works okay?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

A 5S supports 2 of 3 Tmo LTE bands. I haven't run into this problem before so it might be the phone itself or you might just have crummy reception. Have you tried turning off VoLTE to see if regular voice works okay?

Also it seems unlikely LTE would have anything to do with wifi calling problems right?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
WiFi calling is a-ok and super clear, it's just calling out in the wild that drops out and has echo. I think turning off LTE has helped, I'm going to take a drive and see if that's solved the problem in some of the areas of town I had issues in. I do have to say though, before things start messing up the voice quality is a lot better than AT&T, so I hope this works out!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wifi calling would be great if you could turn tell it what wifi networks to use it on.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Whats the consensus on the best cheapish (under 300) tmobile phone that can do WiFi calling? Thinking about taking the jump to the 4/120 plan

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oxsnard posted:

Whats the consensus on the best cheapish (under 300) tmobile phone that can do WiFi calling? Thinking about taking the jump to the 4/120 plan

iphone 5c/5s

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Needs to be android

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

oxsnard posted:

Needs to be android

LG G Stylo.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Want to buy my Mom a birthday present and I was thinking about getting her the new moto g, though she is on metro pcs will she be able to use it? Shes currently using a samsung galaxy light.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

Want to buy my Mom a birthday present and I was thinking about getting her the new moto g, though she is on metro pcs will she be able to use it? Shes currently using a samsung galaxy light.

Yeah it should work fine.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Burden posted:

LG G Stylo.

Cool thanks!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Do the simple prepaid (128kb/s after x data) plans include music freedom?
I got an 80% data notice this morning and I've only used like 100MB of not-google-music data.

fake edit: nope. Now to decide if I want 3GB of general data or 1GB with streaming.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
I too am looking to get the Moto G 3rd Gen for my mother, unfortunately upon further research, it seems that it doesn't have support for Band 12, which T-mobile uses. I'd hate to get her something that has worse reception (possibly) than her cracked Galaxy S3 right now. Does moto G support wifi calling at least?

I was also looking at the LG G stylo, but I think that phone might be too big for my mom's liking, are there any other sub $300 phones that are worth considering? Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The S3 doesn't support Band 12, either, so reception shouldn't be any worse (and Motorolas generally have very well-regarded antennas, so it might still be better). No Wifi calling. Only iPhones and T-Mobile branded phones have that.

The current list of Band 12-enabled phones is pretty short.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nexus 6 has wifi calling and it is not tmobile branded.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Nexus 6 has wifi calling and it is not tmobile branded.

True.

Okay, no unbranded phones except iPhones and Nexus(es?) have wifi calling.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Uhhh, thanks for the great info. I might just get the moto phone then. What about the ASUS Zenphone 2?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

lethial posted:

Uhhh, thanks for the great info. I might just get the moto phone then. What about the ASUS Zenphone 2?

Instead of worrying about Band 12 support and wifi calling, you might be better off switching to a carrier that has better reception in your area. Perhaps Cricket -- uses AT&T's network for half the cost. You can bring your own device like a Moto G.

T-Mobile is a fine carrier but it isn't for everyone.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
I will have to investigate into Cricket, esp. now that there is no benefit to stick with a provider for long term. T-mobile is pretty good, but their coverage can be spotty, and in my office I don't have any signal since my office is in the inner part of an office building.

There seem to be a good deal for LG G3 right now, so I might end up getting that over the moto G.

Decisions, decisions... Thanks for all the help though!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So this seems like the thread to ask. Any T-Mobile employees in this thread? I really, really wanna get out of food service and T-Mobile retail seems like a pretty okay job, based on my interactions with them in the store. They always seem pretty upbeat, but then again I guess they're paid to be.

My understanding is that they're paid a pretty basic wage, and then they get pretty decent commission, especially around when a new hot iPhone/Samsung is released? Anything horrifying I should know before I apply?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Daily Forecast posted:

So this seems like the thread to ask. Any T-Mobile employees in this thread? I really, really wanna get out of food service and T-Mobile retail seems like a pretty okay job, based on my interactions with them in the store. They always seem pretty upbeat, but then again I guess they're paid to be.

My understanding is that they're paid a pretty basic wage, and then they get pretty decent commission, especially around when a new hot iPhone/Samsung is released? Anything horrifying I should know before I apply?

The dudes at the mall kiosk I go to (lol) appear genuine to me in their enjoyment of the job (for what it is) but again could be puttin that bullshit on thick

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

I just had my 10 year anniversary with T-Mobile yesterday. It's a pretty good gig. You will start at a few bucks over minimum plus commission. I have part time reps making around 2 grand a month in just commission. If you can hit your targets then you will be fine. Depending on the store you will you need to know how to sell somewhat. It is pretty laid back and I have fun at work most days. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Burden posted:

I just had my 10 year anniversary with T-Mobile yesterday. It's a pretty good gig. You will start at a few bucks over minimum plus commission. I have part time reps making around 2 grand a month in just commission. If you can hit your targets then you will be fine. Depending on the store you will you need to know how to sell somewhat. It is pretty laid back and I have fun at work most days. Let me know if you have any other questions.

How often/generous are the raises to your base salary? How common is it for part time reps to make that much commission? Are full-time positions pretty readily available? I can bullshit people pretty well I think, so I could sell phones. What do you mean by 'hit your targets', and what happens if you don't?

edit: What sort of commission is it? Like 1-3% or something? Not shabby on an $800 iWhatever. I really doubt that employees get free phone service but do you at least get a cool discount?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 4, 2015