Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Nolanar posted:

I have a few endoflames next to a basic pressure plate / open crate / hopper setup. Feed it a stack of charcoal and watch it spew mana everywhere. A gourmalyllis (which eats food) is nice if you have an hourglass controlling the rate it gets food, and it's a great way to get some use out of the rotten flesh and spider eyes you probably have lying around. If you have mana diamonds to spare to make the top tier runes, entropynnium (eats explosions) and munchdew (eats leaves) are pretty great.

Most people move from Dayblooms to towera of Hydroangeas,

Layer 1
DDDD
DWWD
DWWD
DDDD

Layer 2
HDDH
DWWD
DWWD
HDDH

And you go up alternating,

In this thread someone also said you can do the water as 3x3 with a hydroangea in the middle, if so I would make it alternate layers of Hydro's on the outside

Layer 1
DDDDD
DWWWD
DWHWD
DWWWD
DDDDD

Layer 2

HDHDH
DWWWD
HWWWH
DWWWD
HDHDH

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

hydroangeas are terrible, just use endoflames and then gourmaryllises

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

TheresaJayne posted:

Layer 1
DDDDD
DWWWD
DWHWD
DWWWD
DDDDD

Wouldn't the water flow into the hydroangea's tile and break it? I thought that's why people put them on diagonals like they do.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there a resource on how much you gain from giving a mana spreader a potency lens? Mine is firing like 5 blocks which I assume isn't far enough to see a loss even with the lens, but it's nice to be sure.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I consult this page a lot when figuring out Botania stuff. Potency Lenses double the mana carried per burst.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nolanar posted:

Wouldn't the water flow into the hydroangea's tile and break it? I thought that's why people put them on diagonals like they do.

Floating hydroangeas don't break.

Glory of Arioch posted:

hydroangeas are terrible, just use endoflames and then gourmaryllises

Welllll I guess they aren't very good, but you can put a LOT of them down, and they require no additional infrastructure. You have to keep increasing the size of your farms if you increase the number of endoflames or gourmaryllises.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 1, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Nolanar posted:

I read this in this thread a while back

McFrugal posted:

Edit: hahaha, you can put a floating hydroangea in the middle of a 3x3 pool of water!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Glory of Arioch posted:

do railcraft tanks even hold more than, like, the thermal expansion tanks these days

Who gives a poo poo, they're big and cool looking.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Between floating hydroangeas not breaking from water, and the fact that flowers don't seem to interfere with one another if they're on different y levels*, you can get some hilariously dense mana farms with them. It's pretty trivial to generate more than a standard spreader can handle with a good setup.

*they don't generate the interference particle effects, at any rate. I haven't checked to see if that's just graphical though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

This was awhile back, but you dont have PM so I cant do it that way. This music is so loving GOOD and I ended up buying a ton of their stuff.

So thanks for the suggestion, from the bottom of my blight infested heart. :cthulhu:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chairface posted:

Who gives a poo poo, they're big and cool looking.

Yeah I wish Thermal Expansion had big multiblock tanks. Pretty much the only thing I ever like from Railcraft is the awesome tanks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Reason posted:

Yeah I wish Thermal Expansion had big multiblock tanks. Pretty much the only thing I ever like from Railcraft is the awesome tanks.

Still amazed that there hasn't been a new mod that just rips off and improves the tanks and boilers yet. Maybe I'll have to take another shot at that. :effort:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Taffer posted:

Still amazed that there hasn't been a new mod that just rips off and improves the tanks and boilers yet. Maybe I'll have to take another shot at that. :effort:

I could really do with some pretty, high capacity 3x3x3 tanks. All the current options are hella ugly but The Big Reactor has a cool design that could be copied and I would like to see insulation options for super hot/cold fluids. Make a 5x5x5 tank and only the inner 3x are for actual storage, if you want to store molten metal or lava in it you're shrinking that inside storage to 1x with insulation blocks. The kicker would be that the inside slot can store a LOT of fluids, you could handwave it with with compression or whatever. I just really want to set up a bunch of 3x3x3 tanks for various common fluids (milk, fuel, oil, etc.) that lets me store more than 10 buckets.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I've always liked the different track types from RC. CJ can be a complete toolbox but you can turn off all of the bullshit in Railcraft and be left with a bunch of fun new tracks that are relatively easy to make. Trains and the tunnel bore are pretty fun too. You wouldn't expect him to, but CJ clearly understands and respects that everyone has different play styles and some of his fiddly bullshit just isn't for everyone.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

On the other hand, railcraft's heat blocks basically poo poo all over every multiblock in other mods that don't specifically defend against their existence

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Well, there are EnderTech tanks, but they require power in exchange for what, like four times capacity? It's not overwhelming.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm getting back into the game again and can't seem to get my modpack to work. I've been trying to get Ohgamings Mystical Realms to work, but had crashes on startup. Did a fresh reinstall and was able to get to the main menu, and at this point I tried to reinstall my resource pack, but when I tried that it just started crashing again. So no resource pack, I try to make a new world, it crashes. Loading new world crashes again.

At this point I think it might be a bad java version or something. I know I have the latest version thanks to auto updating and such, so I guess I'll need to downgrade?

Another option I'm considering is just making my own modpack real quick. All I really care about is that it uses the latest possible release of minecraft (So I suppose 1.7.10, most mods I see seem to be up to this version.), Thaumcraft is a must, treecapitator also, and some sort of map/minimap mod. Can anyone give me any pointers on starting up some sort of "base" modpack where I can just drag mods I want over to it? Or maybe suggest some other modpack?

e: I found what the issue was. At some point, java decided in one of its auto-updates that it was a good time to switch to the 34-bit version when I had the 64-bit version installed. :psyduck: Installing 64-bit seemed to fix everything for every modpack I was trying to get to work.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 3, 2015

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Immersive Engineering's wiring is really cool.

It's interesting to have to make structural considerations for wiring that also yields some neat aesthetics.
... That said, I'm glad my modpack also has Thermal Dynamics because :effort:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Fortis posted:

That actually is pretty cool.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Fortis posted:

It's interesting to have to make structural considerations for wiring that also yields some neat aesthetics.
... That said, I'm glad my modpack also has Thermal Dynamics because :effort:

:captainpop:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Why don't modpacks include a mod that makes boats not break?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

goodness posted:

Some Thaumcraft addon has a Greatwood boat that doesn't break. Also another boat that can go in lava.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

goodness posted:

That's actually fairly common, in addition to the Greatwood option mentioned already, I can remember having aluminum and carbon fiber boats in various tech modpacks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

one trick is if you're constantly boating to a place, line the edge of the water with soul sand

iirc boats that crash into soul sand never break

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

one trick is if you're constantly boating to a place, line the edge of the water with soul sand

iirc boats that crash into soul sand never break

Oh? I wonder if slabs work too, then.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

Oh? I wonder if slabs work too, then.

No. And if you hit them wrong it can instakill you.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

No. And if you hit them wrong it can instakill you.

Whaaaaat? Why would slabs instakill you?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

McFrugal posted:

Whaaaaat? Why would slabs instakill you?

It's probably the bug where the game calculates each bob of the boat in the water as falling. If you're in a boat for too long and you go from water to solid ground while still riding in it, all the fall damage racks up at once. So it's not slabs specifically, just going to solid ground on a lower level than the water. It's easiest to achieve with slabs.

This bug has existed since at least 1.4, probably earlier. Last time I checked it still hasn't been fixed.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like a mod that makes boats not randomly decide to teleport you into the nearby shore/into the ocean floor/-64y.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Boats suck, I like mods that let you have boots that freeze water and just walk across the ocean (meteors, botania), those are cool even if they don't work all that great sometimes.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Thyrork posted:

This was awhile back, but you dont have PM so I cant do it that way. This music is so loving GOOD and I ended up buying a ton of their stuff.

So thanks for the suggestion, from the bottom of my blight infested heart. :cthulhu:

No problem, I love me some good dark ambient.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Does anyone know if Tekkit is looking at an update soon? I've heard tell of "in the works" on Reddit but haven't seen anything in official channels (forums and Technic news).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does OMP-I only work if you play on the server or something? It's crashing Minecraft as soon as I load up a map :shrug:

Crash Report, on pastebin if anyone's interested

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
That happened to me too. Did you update to the newest version, or are you using the recommended one?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

That is my fault, I left a combined COFHtweaks/fascraft setup in. 3.0.2_FIX is up.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, is there a server coming, Stealth? I need my OMP-i fix, and single player keeps crashing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

On the other hand, railcraft's heat blocks basically poo poo all over every multiblock in other mods that don't specifically defend against their existence

To be fair, "defend against their existence" means "using the method that was specifically created to check for air blocks, instead of seeing whether a block is literally a minecraft air block". When heat blocks first came out, CJ was dumb for not actually making any attempt to research or communicate the fact that he was going to use a piece of functionality that had existed for years but gone totally ignored. But at this point, he's not even the only person using isAirBlock for something (all spotlight functionality does) and it's been a thing for literal years. It's time for everyone to stop loving up.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Does anyone know if Tekkit is looking at an update soon? I've heard tell of "in the works" on Reddit but haven't seen anything in official channels (forums and Technic news).

Yup.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Woo! I've missed Tekkit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So how would you normally prevent a specific mob from spawning, without a config in that mod giving the option? Like, is there a spawn control mod that can override spawn behavior of other mods?

I ask because I kindof want to check out Advent of Ascension but I also don't want to have to deal with Bomb Carriers, ever.