Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's way too few extensions, I remember seeing one fill the drat screen up once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Probably started off the OS CD.

I miss my little extensions marching across the screen. :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That was the story of my life at a prepress house. If it wasn't for Conflict Catcher I would have committed murder on a daily basis.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Man I miss using the old Macs at school. I've said it before but I REALLY want to get a nice color Mac but holy jesus the prices on working ones. Craigslist has them once in a while, but yeesh.

I mean, I've spent a pretty penny on lots of C64 gear, but that's different. :colbert:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dick Trauma posted:

Probably started off the OS CD.

I miss my little extensions marching across the screen. :(

Yeah, you probably spent days of your life with those guys, I know I did.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

2008-2011 was a really bad period for laptops. Too many were leaning on really awful core 2 duo processors (instead of the superior for the time AMD offering) and the ultra lovely Nvidia 9800M chipset, which was just an awful fit for a laptop. That whole series ran too hot in normal towers, IDK why they thought cramming a card with the average temp of a blacksmiths forge into tiny laptop bodies was a good idea but it reduced them all to ash in a short time.

Reading this post on a C2D T7500 with Nvidia 8600M - you are absolutely spot on about those temps.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Kaizoku posted:

Yeah, you probably spent days of your life with those guys, I know I did.

Used to be able to tell exactly what someone did for a living and how much they hated authority by watching the extension crawl.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Exit Strategy posted:

Used to be able to tell exactly what someone did for a living and how much they hated authority by watching the extension crawl.

I was disappointed that you couldn't fill the screen to 'complete' the puzzle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

2008-2011 was a really bad period for laptops. Too many were leaning on really awful core 2 duo processors (instead of the superior for the time AMD offering) and the ultra lovely Nvidia 9800M chipset, which was just an awful fit for a laptop. That whole series ran too hot in normal towers, IDK why they thought cramming a card with the average temp of a blacksmiths forge into tiny laptop bodies was a good idea but it reduced them all to ash in a short time.

The C2D processors were certainly hot and power hungry compared to Broadwell or Skylake but I don't think AMD was at any point after the P4 era any better. Dunno about that chipset but that was probably the problem. Source: I still have a C2D ThinkPad T61 around, it's fine.

poo poo, you can actually go look at some old forum posts and people were still "lol AMD" just like now, just a little less so:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/centrino-core-2-duo-t6500-vs-amd-turion-x2-ultra-dual-core.425348/

photinus posted:

They had something like that in Vienna, when I visited in 2007 - for €24 you could get eight days of travel on any form of local public transport; you had to punch the card for every day you travelled. Frankly, I hope they never phase them out (perfect for a week's holiday!)... even though I don't ever recall seeing a sign telling you you had to punch it in one of the unlabelled yellow machines in the underground. The only reason I didn't get in trouble was because I noticed people punching them a split second before I saw the ticket inspectors.

My parents and I got busted in Vienna the first time we were there because we never saw anyone buy or use any sort of ticket or card. At the time we were used to having turnstiles everywhere so the fact that you can just walk in was mindblowing.

Paper tickets are still used in Prague, each one is only good for a set amount. So you just stick it into a little machine and it stamps it with the time and station ID. Speaking of failed technology, they wanted to replace (different) long-term tickets with a plastic card but the whole project was an amazing fuckup with huge cost overruns, database failures and other fun issues.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Sep 3, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobby_6kl posted:

The C2D processors were certainly hot and power hungry compared to Broadwell or Skylake but I don't think AMD was at any point after the P4 era any better. Dunno about that chipset but that was probably the problem. Source: I still have a C2D ThinkPad T61 around, it's fine.

Yep, after the P4 era it was all over for AMD especially on laptops.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Code Jockey posted:

Man I miss using the old Macs at school. I've said it before but I REALLY want to get a nice color Mac but holy jesus the prices on working ones. Craigslist has them once in a while, but yeesh.

I mean, I've spent a pretty penny on lots of C64 gear, but that's different. :colbert:

If you want a PPC desktop Mac, get either one of the early Mac Minis, a G4 cube, or any of the workstation style Macs. All the iconic PowerMacs are expensive because they got that heavy-rear end CRT built into them.

There's also always the early MacBooks or PowerBooks.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

dissss posted:

It makes me a little fearful of CPUs going forward. There is no real completion for Intel, and poo poo, if anyone is going to jump into the CPU market, what with the incredible upfront infrastructure costs.
It is such a huge shame. The athlons were so good. The Throughbred and Applebred chipsets were just excellent.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

If you want a PPC desktop Mac, get either one of the early Mac Minis, a G4 cube, or any of the workstation style Macs. All the iconic PowerMacs are expensive because they got that heavy-rear end CRT built into them.

Or get a nice G4 iBook. I still have mine. It's the only piece of Apple hardware I've owned that I can't seem to dispose of. It's such an excellent design.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Elliotw2 posted:

There were only two PowerMacs with CRTs, the PowerMac G3 'Molar' and the PowerMac 52xx/53xx/54xx/55xx line. None were iconic :colbert:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, it's the first edition iMacs that are colorful and have the CRT built-in.

I didn't realize they commanded high prices. We have people drop them off at the shop all the time for recycling. I've made fishtanks out of 2 or 3 of them.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

mobby_6kl posted:

My parents and I got busted in Vienna the first time we were there because we never saw anyone buy or use any sort of ticket or card. At the time we were used to having turnstiles everywhere so the fact that you can just walk in was mindblowing.

Turnstiles: obsolete technology.

I can still remember that, when I was a kid and we were picking up my Dad at the train station, we had to get "Bahnsteigkarten" (platform access tickets) if we wanted to meet him on the platform. There was a barrier with 4 or 5 booths where everybody coming from or going to the platform had their tickets checked. All those jobs, gone...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kith_groupie posted:

Yeah, the bike I bought when I moved the the Netherlands, has one and I've used it for the past decade or so. I'm a big spoiled whiny American baby princess when it comes to having to ride my bike further than a few kilometers or so, but that's more because biking in the rain/wind/general apathetic Dutch malaise is lovely and not because of the tiny little bit extra it takes to make the light go on.

But if you want to talk about obsolete Dutch tech let's talk the strippenkaart.

You'd buy these from grocery stores, train stations, convience stores, whatever, so instead of having to buy a ticket at the train station you'd have to stamp your own ticket with this

or the bus driver would stamp it for you after you told him where you where going. They started phasing it out about six years or so ago, and now we just use cards to check in and out at stations. I don't know if they had it in other countries, but I imagine they did. Moving here from the rural American west to this sort of system was pretty jarring at first though.

We had the same thing in Manchester when I was growing up.

Put it in a slot at the top of a machine, when the bottom hits a pressure plate a blade clips off the bottom-most square (hence "Clippercard") and an ink-stamp imprints the time, date and route number of the bus.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mobby_6kl posted:

:hfive: I still have one of these too, snagged it years ago when an old IT job was recycling a bunch of equipment. Boss basically said "if it works, go ahead and take it" mainly because the company was paying a recycler to take it, and the more stuff you have, the more it costs. Those T61 laptops were goddamn tanks, only thing I've done is upgraded the RAM and HDD and opened it all up to clean it and re-paste the CPU. Still runs like a champ after all this time and looks nearly new :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

blugu64 posted:

There were only two PowerMacs with CRTs, the PowerMac G3 'Molar' and the PowerMac 52xx/53xx/54xx/55xx line. None were iconic :colbert:

Don't forget this one:

EDIT: D'oh! You specified PowerMac, not just PPC AIO.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't forget this one:

Ugh. I set up an eMac computer lab for my colleges education department several years ago. After unboxing and setting up 35 of those bastards, my back hurt for a week straight.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

All these moments will be lost in time, like toner in the wind.

Time to spool.
Until one day you're moving and you find that box of stuff that you haven't touched since the last time you moved and you discover it's full of stuff from your office 20 years ago.

Found that in there along with IRIX 6.5.6 and Solaris 2.5.1 (11/97) installation media.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I used an eMac as a flash-on-mac-worst-case-benchmark machine.
Granted this was in 2005 when flash video just was getting started and you had to call up Macromedia to get some idea of how the players were coded as there was bare-bones documentation short of devotees on Creative Cow running every command they saw to figure things out.

As there as was no way to detect how fast someone's operating system was (or even what it was, short of linking into some convoluted JavaScript) the solution for slow machines was to run two timers that raced each other, if one lagged behind by X then it was deemed too slow and you'd tell it to shut off the quality of things.

You then entered the rat's maze of creating quality IF/OR arrays that would selectively fire on loading up a video and covertly switch off things to pump enough power for stutter-less playback of a 640x480 video. Optimizing flash sites that were dumped into your lap became my specialty, especially in 2005 when 56K still was very common in Australia and ADSL was so poorly delivered that you'd either have it on your side of the street or not, or you'd be sharing lines with the street.

By the end of that stint in my life most of the sites I worked on went from elaborate sprawling webpages where every page was a scene and lots of groody movie clips and tweens to a five keyframe timeline with perhaps one scene set as a preloader and all of the content loaded in via XML and everything controlled by code.
Also ActionScript is terribly optimized so any tradeoff in filesize gradually became less as people started to expand on that as AS evolved to become more complex.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Exit Strategy posted:

OS 9 was way before my time, so I'm kind of curious about it. Got some stories/or examples you could share in that regard?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

dissss posted:

Phenom II was a really great CPU series IMHO, especially for the price. It was technically slower than a lot of the C2Ds but it was way more open to overclocking and tended to be more stable (at least in my experience).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phenom II was a really great CPU series IMHO, especially for the price. It was technically slower than a lot of the C2Ds but it was way more open to overclocking and tended to be more stable (at least in my experience).

Phenom II X6 1100T supremacy.

It may not be the fastest CPU around anymore, but at least it gets really loving hot.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

mostlygray posted:

The OLPC project had no idea of how service part supply chain management worked. I tried to reach out to them years ago to explain why the business model wouldn't work. There was an assumption that kids would figure out how to fix them on their own but that's not possible without a distribution system for service parts.

All I got back was lip service emails from the assistants. It is bad technology, poor model, and not sustainable.

The OLPC project refused to consider logistics and that was it's downfall as far as I can see. I think they were over-focused on the do-gooder portion of the project.

The White Savior Industrial Complex strikes yet again.

I just bought a USB 3.5 inch disk drive and a box of floppies because I'm taking a CNC programming class, and only the two Haas lathes have USB ports, and there's a single WinXP machine in the computer lab that exists solely to transfer data for the three mills and to run a laser engraver.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Squish posted:

Reading this post on a C2D T7500 with Nvidia 8600M - you are absolutely spot on about those temps.

What's wrong with yours?
I'm using a dell from 2007 with a c2d t7800 and nvidia 8600m. Been a good laptop pc for all these years.
Only time I had problems with heat is when linux mint cinnimon goes crazy with cpu usage for some dumb reason, or lots of video watching on 35 c degrees summer day. Most of the time the fan is barely circulating air.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

empty baggie posted:

Ugh. I set up an eMac computer lab for my colleges education department several years ago. After unboxing and setting up 35 of those bastards, my back hurt for a week straight.

I loathed the eMac. I can't even count how many recalled logic boards I replaced in those; it was certainly 250+. And then half the time you flexed the down converter too much trying to get it out of the stupid frame and had to replace that (but of course you didn't find out until it was all back together).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sonic Dude posted:

I loathed the eMac. I can't even count how many recalled logic boards I replaced in those; it was certainly 250+. And then half the time you flexed the down converter too much trying to get it out of the stupid frame and had to replace that (but of course you didn't find out until it was all back together).

I loved my eMac, but then again I never had to work on the insides. Actually I specifically avoided working on the insides because it looked too difficult. Years later I got rid of it after the hard drive failed (which I couldn't reach without pulling the whole thing apart).

That was my one lemon with buying factory refurbished Apple gear. The CRT went bad a week after I purchased it. Everything else (2 laptops, 1 desktop) never had a problem.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't forget this one:

EDIT: D'oh! You specified PowerMac, not just PPC AIO.

The screen died on mine before the HD ever did after 7 years of constant artworking use/movie watching. The only faffing about I did was install an airport card for Wifi under the CD tray, thing was a warrior until the screen burst, the hardware was sound aside from that. Did weigh a ton though.
All the experience I've had with Macs in the last 20 years is they come broken/break within a week, or last well beyond their supposed expiry date after being flogged to death.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Goldskull posted:

The screen died on mine before the HD ever did after 7 years of constant artworking use/movie watching. The only faffing about I did was install an airport card for Wifi under the CD tray, thing was a warrior until the screen burst, the hardware was sound aside from that. Did weigh a ton though.
All the experience I've had with Macs in the last 20 years is they come broken/break within a week, or last well beyond their supposed expiry date after being flogged to death.

If I'm recalling correctly, the eMac used the old style Airport card (about the size of a credit card). Apple then came out with a smaller wireless card and immediately ceased production on the old one. They didn't even phase it in. One day you could buy it, the next day it was 3rd party resellers or eBay. If you had an older Apple computer (laptop or desktop) without PC card slots or built-in WiFi you were suddenly SOL.

I eventually sold my old Airport card for $100, twice what I paid. And that was my friend price. It was going for between $120 and $150 on eBay.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Jedit posted:

We had the same thing in Manchester when I was growing up.

Put it in a slot at the top of a machine, when the bottom hits a pressure plate a blade clips off the bottom-most square (hence "Clippercard") and an ink-stamp imprints the time, date and route number of the bus.

It does if the bus had the machine, but none of the Arriva buses did. Their drivers used a selection of office hole punches, scissors and hand tearing to remove the tiny squares. Often this resulted in a card lasting many more than ten journeys when the driver didn't want to hold up the queue (or just couldn't be arsed clipping).

They were great.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The paper bus tickets reminded me of something: The Subway free sandwich stamps.

(Maybe the trading stamp concept, in general.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_stamps

I seem to recall in older TV shows from the 60s/70s there seemed to be a popular trend of collecting stamps from some businesses gave you a shot of trading it for merchandise. Versions of it still likely exist in the form of things like tickets at an arcade or Chuck-e-Cheese, but pretty much everyone has moved into a more electronic versions of tracking customer spending and rewards .

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

The paper bus tickets reminded me of something: The Subway free sandwich stamps.

(Maybe the trading stamp concept, in general.)

Buying a whole roll of these on ebay let me eat cheap for like a year in college until they got rid of them/stopped honoring them. I think it came out to like $2.50 for a footlong + drink, after the stamps cost.

e: They were all sequentially numbered too, but no one gave a poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

I seem to recall in older TV shows from the 60s/70s there seemed to be a popular trend of collecting stamps from some businesses gave you a shot of trading it for merchandise.

S & H Green stamps. I remember these from growing up. You could get them from grocery stores, department stores, and I think gas stations and pharmacies as well. I remember my parents had *books* of them, and the redemption catalog was HUGE. Like bigger than the Sears semi-annual catalog huge.

After the recession in late 70s, these things pretty much died out since inflation even hit the exchange rate of the stamps for rewards.

Some grocery chains still do something like it, but it's no longer a multi-merchant thing. The Jewel grocery stores would give out physical stamps and you could get things like pots and pan, cutlery, or dining sets for reduced rates or even free depending on how many you had.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Plinkey posted:

Buying a whole roll of these on ebay let me eat cheap for like a year in college until they got rid of them/stopped honoring them. I think it came out to like $2.50 for a footlong + drink, after the stamps cost.

If I recall correctly, my friend that worked at subway told me they got rid of the stamps because employees were stealing rolls of stamps and selling them on eBay.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Plinkey posted:

They game me poo poo once for having a card with 4 sequential stamps on it. Like it was beyond belief that someone could possibly buy 2 foot longs at once.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

If I recall correctly, my friend that worked at subway told me they got rid of the stamps because employees were stealing rolls of stamps and selling them on eBay.

That's what I heard too. There was some kind of grace period where they stopped giving them out but would still accept them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

They game me poo poo once for having a card with 4 sequential stamps on it. Like it was beyond belief that someone could possibly buy 2 foot longs at once.

A goon, at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

flosofl posted:

S & H Green stamps. I remember these from growing up. You could get them from grocery stores, department stores, and I think gas stations and pharmacies as well. I remember my parents had *books* of them, and the redemption catalog was HUGE. Like bigger than the Sears semi-annual catalog huge.

After the recession in late 70s, these things pretty much died out since inflation even hit the exchange rate of the stamps for rewards.

Some grocery chains still do something like it, but it's no longer a multi-merchant thing. The Jewel grocery stores would give out physical stamps and you could get things like pots and pan, cutlery, or dining sets for reduced rates or even free depending on how many you had.

My mom was all about the Green Stamps. She mainly used them to get things like a wheelbarrow and a hibachi and other yard/garden tools and poo poo. Oh yeah we got the picnic table in our back yard with them too.