Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Battlefront is still going to sell a gazillion copies though, let's be real.

"T" rated, bundled with consoles, and a Star Wars license at the height of Star Wars mania tying in with a new movie release. Even the mediocre Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer game was a top seller on N64

You take that back. That game was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Kintamarama posted:

Do I have to download the night map separately from the patch? I 've started to do that, but even 794mb is painful on a 2Mb connection. (Thanks Abbott.)
Very much doubtful.

But you're lucky it's as small a file for you. Mine is a hair's breadth over 4 gb (but I'm on PS4 so that may be related?)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not having a server browser doesn't mean much about the actual quality of the game (micro-transactions sure do though) but it does mean the effective life of the game will probably be measured in weeks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Battlefront is still going to sell a gazillion copies though, let's be real.

"T" rated, bundled with consoles, and a Star Wars license at the height of Star Wars mania tying in with a new movie release. Even the mediocre Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer game was a top seller on N64

That's the problem. As soon as it got the "Star Wars" logo on it they basically sold millions just for that. Which is why they will simply program a shitfest, it will sell anyway. So why spend money on making a good game?

I miss the 90ies...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TubeStank posted:

What a wrong opinion

ChronoReverse posted:

Episode One Pod Racer was an amazing game, no joke. Although I played the PC version.

sitchelin posted:

You take that back. That game was great.

I stand by it. :colbert:

It was fun when I was 13, but try playing it now. It's the third best Star Wars N64 game behind Rogue Squadron and Shadows of the Empire.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bohemian Nights posted:

For those interested in battlefront, apparently it won't have a server browser but a "skill based matchmaking system"

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/3j86i2/happy_to_confirm_our_star_wars_battlefront_beta/cun65y6?context=3

Do they hate money?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kibayasu posted:

Not having a server browser doesn't mean much about the actual quality of the game (micro-transactions sure do though) but it does mean the effective life of the game will probably be measured in weeks.

If this was a CoD game or another small team arena shooter (Counter-Strike, Quake, etc.) yeah, sure, skill based matchmaking all the way so long as you can pull a group of friends in. In a 40 player "massive battle" game I would rather have the server browser so I can see what rules, maps and so on are in effect. There isn't even a game-supported way to get a group together, it all relies on the platform's party system, which leads me to believe the PC is something of an afterthought for this game considering there, you know, isn't an official platform party system. I guess Origin may have one, but who uses that poo poo?

Basically, gently caress Battlefront, I'll see you there when it's eight dollars due to massively underwhelming sales on PC. Remember: Hardline was on sale for $20 less than a month after release, there's no good reason to think this will be any different.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Do they hate money?

They certainly hate spending more of it after spending who knows how much being able to make Star Wars games in the first place.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
EA has to make a few retarded battlefield games in between the good ones. Which were 2, 3, and 4

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well, gently caress Battlefront, then. Let's go play some BF4 hop on CTS mumble.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I wish I wasn't working 60-70 hour weeks so I could play too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lazyfire posted:

Basically, gently caress Battlefront, I'll see you there when it's eight dollars due to massively underwhelming sales on PC. Remember: Hardline was on sale for $20 less than a month after release, there's no good reason to think this will be any different.

Depends whether Disney is as fast with allowing discounts as other like sense holders I guess. Or is that not a factor?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's been a while since I worked that space, but I'm pretty sure EA will have full control over price.

Also I where trying out the new night map when suddenly

Also happy page 9/11 guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bV9iNStEI

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 2, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Important parts
As usual, more detail in the PDF: https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/dice-commerce/battlefield4/assets/patch_notes/Patchnotes_SummerPatch_(R14_DS).pdf
They added Night Operations modes because afaik Zavod is the first night map, not the only night map. Also to make it easy to find Zavod Night servers I guess.
  • You can only spot one person at a time, no more spotting an entire squad with one Q.
  • "Damage Tunneling" means you can no longer keep shooting past your death (due to lag), which "significantly improves on trade kills" and delays are reduced.
  • Bullet processing happens after physics now, so less behind-cover damage.
  • New team balancer that is apparently statistically better. And will probably prevent you from switching to the winning team if you're a high-skill player.
  • Warning icons for performance issues:

So you can finally safely blame the server for being poo poo, not your own skill.

• Audio obstruction is this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kaYec34gog
    It changes how things sound based on obstructions, not just volume.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

[*]You can only spot one person at a time, no more spotting an entire squad with one Q.

Holy poo poo I have a reason to play normal again. What a great change that should have been in from the beginning.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I need to reinstall this to see if it got better, don't I?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

[*]New team balancer that is apparently statistically better. And will probably prevent you from switching to the winning team if you're a high-skill player.

As long as I'm not kept from playing with my friends, i'm down!! but god is it frustrating when i get auto-balanced away from friends and then can't switch back

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Do it minge. Come play on lovely servers hosted in lovely countries.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
God drat, that team balancer is serious. And it keeps squads/friends together.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So I haven't played in a long time, but recently reinstalled it. The UI is HUGE. I sear the HUD size option used to exist in settings, but it's no longer there. Am I going crazy? How the gently caress do you scale the UI size down!?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

As usual, more detail in the PDF: https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/dice-commerce/battlefield4/assets/patch_notes/Patchnotes_SummerPatch_(R14_DS).pdf
They added Night Operations modes because afaik Zavod is the first night map, not the only night map. Also to make it easy to find Zavod Night servers I guess.
  • You can only spot one person at a time, no more spotting an entire squad with one Q.
  • "Damage Tunneling" means you can no longer keep shooting past your death (due to lag), which "significantly improves on trade kills" and delays are reduced.
  • Bullet processing happens after physics now, so less behind-cover damage.
  • New team balancer that is apparently statistically better. And will probably prevent you from switching to the winning team if you're a high-skill player.
  • Warning icons for performance issues:

So you can finally safely blame the server for being poo poo, not your own skill.

• Audio obstruction is this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kaYec34gog
    It changes how things sound based on obstructions, not just volume.

Wow that performance issue icon system is a great idea. Good job :dice:. Good job.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

Important parts

• Renamed all the mentions for RPK-74M to RPK, and renamed L96A1 to L115 Da gently caress

[TFR]The gun labelled "RPK-74M" in-game was actually an RPK. The former is an updated version of the RPK chambered in 5.45x39mm, the latter is an older version chambered in 7.62x39mm. The big visual difference is their magazines.[/TFR]

I'd assume there's some similar reasons for renaming the L96, but idk much about those guns.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They changed the cartridge for both back in Spring Patch so they renamed them to their correct real life designations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I've been playing a lot of bf4 to blow off steam lately and I really, really want to try the DMRs. I loving suck rear end as recon though and I'm wondering if I should just commit the horrible gaming sin of just buying the shortcut kit for $5? Are they still worth it?

I only play on hardcore servers, so I feel like they'd be good for my medium range playstyle with 1-3 shot kills

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Frog Act posted:

So I've been playing a lot of bf4 to blow off steam lately and I really, really want to try the DMRs. I loving suck rear end as recon though and I'm wondering if I should just commit the horrible gaming sin of just buying the shortcut kit for $5? Are they still worth it?

I only play on hardcore servers, so I feel like they'd be good for my medium range playstyle with 1-3 shot kills

Throw a laser sight on it, run and gun, and hip fire everything.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

DMRs are all-class weapons and they're pretty awesome, and they take way less "skill" than sniping does. Angled foregrips are the way to go, IMO, because you'll want the gun to move as little as possible after each shot. Also be ready to get hated by your enemies.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Word. I'm gonna unlock them then, because I hate the sniper rifles but usually own bones with SKS style guns. I feel really dirty paying for guns in a game though

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Abuse Rogue Transmission, it is an insanely DMR-friendly map.

And no, don't bother with shortcut packs.They're entirely unnecessary.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
DMRs are loving awesome and I have close to 1 thousand kills with them even though I only use them while as an engineer. I regularly score in the top 3 of matches using them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Backhand posted:

Abuse Rogue Transmission, it is an insanely DMR-friendly map.

And no, don't bother with shortcut packs.They're entirely unnecessary.

are they unnecessary for reals or only unnecessary if you're capable of getting that amount of exp as a recon? Because I can't get any points at all unless I'm playing assault for some reason

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Play recon using a carbine and play any Dragon's Teeth map. You'll unlock the DMRs in no time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
You're using your xp boots, right? Especially the 200% boosts now that it's double xp week?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah but I should stress I'm like, really bad at the game. my record is 22 kills in one match on Zavod and most of my points come from judicious use of medpacs and reviving

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
You can all laugh at me after reading this post, but I have to admit after playing all of BF3 and 4, I still don't know how to use the MANPADS properly. Maybe accidentally got a few kills with it. Are jets just bad targets? I really have no clue how to use either the IGLA or Stinger.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
MANPADs don't really exist to get kills, they exist to double-team aircraft or force them to play defensively. Aerial combat revolves entirely around getting your opponent to pop their flares before you do, so MANPADs give your air power the edge by making sure the enemy has no countermeasures ready when your own guys come along.

Outside of that, they really cannot kill aircraft at all unless said aircraft is being stupidly aggressive. That being said, forcing a little bird to gently caress off can be almost as good as killing him, as it still means he's not getting anything done.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Stingers are fire and forget after a lock on, with iglas you have to hold the lock until the rocket impacts. Sometimes with the igla you can reacquire a lock after flares have worn of. it also have slightly longer range than stingers. Iglas are good on open maps against choppers, stingers are a better all around missile though.

Also Jets lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tueBIHy9pRg

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Almost no one uses flares anymore though so both are, at best, deterrence that you never actually fire or never do damage, and at worst useless. Unless they're in a vehicle which can chase Helos when they run away to reload Countermeasures. They're powerful when they hit because mobility hits are bugged, though.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Stingers and laser locked JAVs are probably your best go-to against air vehicles. If you're using either, just hold down left mouse and you'll fire the moment your lock completes. Release finger, reload.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I thought LD Javs didn't reliably hit aircraft still? Last time I tried they just exploded with no effect. I know that CTE had patched em though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Laser guided javelins are the best answer to scout helicopters that no one ever uses.

New Concept Hole posted:

I thought LD Javs didn't reliably hit aircraft still? Last time I tried they just exploded with no effect. I know that CTE had patched em though.

They hit scout helicopters better than Stingers and IGLA's, which hit approximately 0% of the time if the pilot has any sense :v:

• Locked thread