Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

14 INCH DICK posted:

Why care about that when, much like menses in confined spaced, climbing into that thing is a tacit agreement thst the life giving fluids that keep you both running are operating with synchronized watches waiting for Nick Cage to pop some green smoke

The most beautiful string of words ever put into a single place.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Edited for typos

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm Crap posted:

Is that one of those Group 5-ish series like Super Saloons in the UK? Those people drove some mental cars - 8 liter big block Chevy Corvairs, V8-engined Skodas, DAFs, Beetles, F1-engined Volkswagen Type 3s.

Yep. In the early 80s they brought in the Euro GT cars which pissed off a lot of the Improved Touring drivers, and pretty well killed the category.

There were some amazing vehicles, like V8 powered Type 3s, Repco Brabham V8 powered Chrysler Chargers (where the engine would sit alongside the driver in the cockpit) and crazy space frame Falcon coupes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone sure likes making holes in big chunks of metal.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

You Am I posted:

Yep. In the early 80s they brought in the Euro GT cars which pissed off a lot of the Improved Touring drivers, and pretty well killed the category.

There were some amazing vehicles, like V8 powered Type 3s, Repco Brabham V8 powered Chrysler Chargers (where the engine would sit alongside the driver in the cockpit) and crazy space frame Falcon coupes.

:stare:

Please tell me pictures of these exist somewhere.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Needs a crank-mounted supercharger on both blocks.

:getin:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
It came from Imgur. Whee!

http://i.imgur.com/miYhUCA.webm

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Unrelated

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Holy gently caress

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:perfect:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Why DOESN'T the Veyron have 16 exhaust pipes?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Holy gently caress :aaaaa:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gotta be honest I just don't find stuff like this all that impressive anymore
mental cars with V13 engines and 7 turbos are way cooler because they're some dude seeing what he can do

ship stuff is the worst kind of boring, it's an engine literally designed to run on as little fuel as possible with as little maintenance as possible

it's the 4AFE of the car world

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

T1g4h posted:

:stare:

Please tell me pictures of these exist somewhere.

I think I have a magazine at home or at my parents place where they did a full write up on the car. I will have a look over the weekend

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Two Finger posted:

gotta be honest I just don't find stuff like this all that impressive anymore
mental cars with V13 engines and 7 turbos are way cooler because they're some dude seeing what he can do

ship stuff is the worst kind of boring, it's an engine literally designed to run on as little fuel as possible with as little maintenance as possible

it's the 4AFE of the car world
So if that's the Yaris of shipping, what engine would go in its place to actually interest you for maximum cargo POWAAAAAAAA?

...tbh it's probably radioactive and involves a floating airport. But hey, as long as we've got iron we can build biggerer blocks and turbocharge our supercharged turbos, right?

edit: Like I'm not even high right now and I'm still imagining, like, this fractal thing of turbines and exhaust lines and supercharger belts and literal tons per square inch of boost. Radial superchargers, pretty much.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 4, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The nuclear reactor in the russian alfa class attack subs was pretty bitchin. They used molten lead to cool it while out on deployment, but if it was allowed to cool too much, the molten metal would solidify causing the reactor to shut down. To keep this from happening while in port with the reactor shut down, they would pump super heated steam into the reactor to keep the metal in a liquid state. However due to the generally lovely conditions in the soviet union, they would often have to keep the reactors going since a supply of superheated steam wasn't always available.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain there are some legit nuclear physics dudes who will point out any mistakes I just made or can elaborate further on it. I'm just kinda going off memory and a quick google/wiki search.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure it was molten sodium, since molten lead would absorb too many neutrons to keep a reaction going, and is quite frankly nowhere near reactive or exciting enough. Molten sodium and (IIRC) potassium cooled reactors were common back then, I think we mostly stayed with PWR and BWR setups though, it was the soviets that liked exotic poo poo like liquid sodium, RBMK, etc.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Friar Zucchini posted:

edit: Like I'm not even high right now and I'm still imagining, like, this fractal thing of turbines and exhaust lines and supercharger belts and literal tons per square inch of boost. Radial superchargers, pretty much.

Welp, better start building this, you wouldn't want to let some Grade-A prophetic vision like that go to waste would you?

And yeah, the Alfa class used a liquid sodium cooled reactor.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh, a quick check lead me to believe it was lead-bismuth when I went to look stuff up. Either way, it was a nuclear reactor cooled by liquid metal with is loving awesome and hopefully is more interesting to mr giant cargo ship engine parts are boring up there.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Friar Zucchini posted:

...tbh it's probably radioactive and involves a floating airport.

nuclear powered ice breakers are pretty cool

75000 hp gets her going through 6 foot arctic ice at 20 mph.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

So if that's the Yaris of shipping, what engine would go in its place to actually interest you for maximum cargo POWAAAAAAAA?

...tbh it's probably radioactive and involves a floating airport. But hey, as long as we've got iron we can build biggerer blocks and turbocharge our supercharged turbos, right?

Nimitz class CVNs have two reactors, that's like twin-turboing your car right?

Relevant if you can see facebook videos

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure it was molten sodium, since molten lead would absorb too many neutrons to keep a reaction going, and is quite frankly nowhere near reactive or exciting enough. Molten sodium and (IIRC) potassium cooled reactors were common back then, I think we mostly stayed with PWR and BWR setups though, it was the soviets that liked exotic poo poo like liquid sodium, RBMK, etc.

yeah this sort of poo poo is awesome

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh, a quick check lead me to believe it was lead-bismuth when I went to look stuff up. Either way, it was a nuclear reactor cooled by liquid metal with is loving awesome and hopefully is more interesting to mr giant cargo ship engine parts are boring up there.

should probably point out i actually work as a marine engineer so yeah to me this stuff is everyday

click the ? by my post if you want to see some photos of ships i've been on, pretty sure I posted about an engine overhaul in this thread

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

supercharger belts and literal tons per square inch of boost.

cams at least were run on straight gear drives and we didn't quite hit tons, but we were rolling with 2.6 bar on the turbo so what's that, 37 psi?

there are some crazy cool things out there like hydraulic valves these days though, so no valvetrain at all

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
konengeseggggge is messing with pneumatic valves so no cams at all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh yeah it's finally been miniaturised? ship diesels have had them for a while now

hahahahaha all these articles going CAMLESS ENGINES ARE THE WAY OF THE FUTURE from like 2014 when ships have had them since the early 2000's at least

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's just a bit easier to synchronize your camless engines when the goddamn redline is like 110rpm, dude :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Two Finger posted:

should probably point out i actually work as a marine engineer so yeah to me this stuff is everyday

click the ? by my post if you want to see some photos of ships i've been on, pretty sure I posted about an engine overhaul in this thread

It was largely sarcastic. I get dealing with something every day means its boring as poo poo for you, but its still kinda awesome to the rest of us, so you'll have to excuse our excitement. :shobon:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Deeters posted:

Nimitz class CVNs have two reactors, that's like twin-turboing your car right?

Relevant if you can see facebook videos

Enterprise had more. Weakkkk.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

It was largely sarcastic. I get dealing with something every day means its boring as poo poo for you, but its still kinda awesome to the rest of us, so you'll have to excuse our excitement. :shobon:

yeah fair enough
have a photo of a piston emerging by way of apology

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The SS United States is the most powerful ship ever built with 240,000 HP, enough to propel a (just under) 1000 ft, 45k ton ship to a top speed of 44 Mph (38 knots).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States

Sadly she's been decaying in southern Philadelphia for the past 19 years and is at risk of being scrapped because the preservation society can't afford the $64,000/month cost of keeping her there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcu7AQYsDco

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The SS United States is the most powerful ship ever built with 240,000 HP, enough to propel a (just under) 1000 ft, 45k ton ship to a top speed of 44 Mph (38 knots).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States

Sadly she's been decaying in southern Philadelphia for the past 19 years and is at risk of being scrapped because the preservation society can't afford the $64,000/month cost of keeping her there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcu7AQYsDco

words can't even begin to describe how loving insane 35 knots is

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Two Finger posted:

When the US government was worried about how to move an army to Europe quickly, throwing some tax dollars at an ocean liner to make it faster than it had any right to be must have seemed like a pretty good idea.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

:wtc: Oh hell loving no. I'd sit in front of whatever dual v16 straight pipe monstrosity all goddamn day, but behind, with a face full of pipe on water? Nononononononononono

Any more pictures of that thing? :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
E. God drat it my phones all over the place today

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 4, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Two Finger posted:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The thing about massive boat engine specs that get you to at least half mast is when torque is rated in mile-pounds

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

gently caress mile-pounds, that poo poo is tame. The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA-96C in 14-cylinder flavor puts down 0.5 mile-tons.

Critical specs: 1820 liters displacement... per cylinder
BxS: 960mm x 2500mm
160 grams of fuel per cylinder per rotation (2-stroke) at full output
Redline is 110 RPM or so and rated operating speed is 102rpm.

If you can't solve a problem with 109,000 horsepower, it doesn't need solving.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That makes me wonder, assuming the torque:horsepower ratio to be similar in the SS United States, it should be producing more than a full mile-ton of torque.