Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

just because you CAN put a big silencer on a pistol doesn't mean you SHOULD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
For the person asking about the battle dress, yes, it is noticeably loud and running with it sounds like you're running in medieval plate armor. It still a makes noise while walking.

I only use it when I'm running and gunning though, never tried to sneak with it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wasn't a fan of Kaz autosorting your soldiers when I first heard about it but he's been pretty good. Just make sure to make a direct contract with any guys you really want to keep so Kaz doesn't fire them.

Also I was wrong about the target practices, they're kinda fun. It's just the R&D one that's bad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Episode 26 seems to be extremely good for recruiting. The target has 6-7 bodyguards that all seem to have A++ in one skill, and an ability.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 4, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If you're on the ACC with Quiet and you stare at her boobs in first person, your bond goes up. :kojima:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Has anyone figured out what actually influences the stat ranks of random enemies out in the wild? They've definitely increased over time and where before I'd only ever see E or D ranks now I almost never see guys with those ranks and B to A is common with many guys having A+ in up to two stats. I've started seeing A++ guys fairly often too, so it seems like enemy quality is rising to match the quality of my volunteers.

Is this Heroism? I'm up into six digit Heroism now. Or is it related to enemy response readiness somehow, where the tougher the enemy gets the more rewarding it is to Fulton them? I'm almost tempted to wipe the readiness with the Chicken Hat and test but I'd hate to have to build it up again if it's what influences that. Basically if it's just Heroism = Higher Stats then you can farm S and above rank guys by doing a really easy mission over and over for Heroism or something.

Also I finally unlocked a tranq pistol that isn't a Wu (it's that 12 round Soviet pistol in non-lethal form) and wow the Wu has basically no advantages over it whatsoever. Unlock customization and develop the 1911 knockoff and default Assault Rifle as they reach the tier 2 suppressors sooner and you can cannibalize that suppressor to every pistol or in the case of the AR one to seemingly every Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle. Can pretty much clear outposts and bases with a suppressed tranq sniper and a tranq Soviet pistol and not come close to breaking the suppressors on them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gortarius posted:

Is there a way I can go hang around with Ocelot or Miller or anyone at all? Can I even find any plot characters anywhere, go into any of the buildings or do I just have to settle with listening to tapes? Mother Base has gotten gigantic but it somehow still has nothing to do in it besides those target practice things and taking showers.

I hate to say it because I really enjoy the game but as it is, this Mother Base is just a giant piece of poo poo with nothing in it. What am I doing wrong? Help!

If you haven't already, go check out the Medical Platform. Thoroughly.

There's a door you can go through that triggers a cutscene. It's Pretty Goddamn Depressing.

Now I'm hunting every platform looking for similar poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Can anyone confirm if there's a weird cutscene that plays on the medical platform? I wasn't sure if it being mentioned on every single page of the this thread meant it was real or not.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thumbtacks posted:

If you're on the ACC with Quiet and you stare at her boobs in first person, your bond goes up. :kojima:

There is a cutscene with some female combatants later in the game, and the camera zooms in on the chest of each of them before resting itself on the rear end of the fourth one. :kojima:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can anyone confirm if there's a weird cutscene that plays on the medical platform? I wasn't sure if it being mentioned on every single page of the this thread meant it was real or not.

Look at this guy who reads every page of the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain thread instead of playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There is a chain of missions that play into a room inside of the medical platform. You can start it at any time by going there and opening the door.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vengarr posted:

Look at this guy who reads every page of the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain thread instead of playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I'm waiting for my four-day weekend to truly get into it.

Gonna be so drat stealthy that BB sneak up on hisself.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Thumbtacks posted:

just because you CAN put a big silencer on a pistol doesn't mean you SHOULD

drat, the Wii version's looking tight.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i accidently killed a recruit that i needed for his skill by taking him out of sickbay and forgetting to put him back. hes a guaranteed guy from a mission, can i get him again by doing the mission over?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 4, 2015

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol, I just did mission 6 and I failed so much the game asked me if I wanted to equip a chicken hat. :downsgun:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Real hurthling! posted:

i accidently killed a recruit that i needed for his skill by taking him out of sickbay and forgetting to put him back. hes a guaranteed guy from a mission, can i get him again by doing the mission over?

Yeah, go ahead.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
I have been playing this game for hours on end since the 1st, and I'm only 21% done. I need my life back, but this is the most fun I've had in a video game in a long time.

Vengarr posted:

If you haven't already, go check out the Medical Platform. Thoroughly.

There's a door you can go through that triggers a cutscene. It's Pretty Goddamn Depressing.

Now I'm hunting every platform looking for similar poo poo.

I found a similar door on the top level of the command platform (the deck you start with). It's still locked for me at mission 15. Did anyone figure out if that's anything?

Also, I do remember one of the gameplay trailers showing Ocelot hanging around Mother Base (player looked at him with binoculars, while Ocelot did his signature :ocelot:), but I don't see him around in my game either.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

It's kind of dumb that the "Starring:" credits that play before you start a mission straight up spoil when certain characters are going to show up.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the whole starring and credits thing for each mission. Credits less so but the starring thing is silly.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Having done all the medical platform stuff I'm not sure there's more doors on other struts.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Does anyone know what the deal is with "Boaster" and how to deal with it? I can't quite work it out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

iGestalt posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with "Boaster" and how to deal with it? I can't quite work it out.

doesn't it just hide what their abilities are in the field? so like you see a guy and he looks like a good recruit but then he's not because he's all swagger.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the whole starring and credits thing for each mission. Credits less so but the starring thing is silly.

I think it works for (mission 6 / 12 spoilers) Sahelanthropus. In mission 6 you have no idea what that name refers to so the hand reaching out of the sandstorm is an "oh jesus what" moment. And in mission 12 you see it inactive straight away so it's still a big surprise when it loving jumps at you from over the horizon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Send help, stuck in a cutscene in Mission 30 that never seems to end.

Edit: I think this might be the cheesiest cutscene I've seen in any game, ever.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 4, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

I think it works for (mission 6 / 12 spoilers) Sahelanthropus. In mission 6 you have no idea what that name refers to so the hand reaching out of the sandstorm is an "oh jesus what" moment. And in mission 12 you see it inactive straight away so it's still a big surprise when it loving jumps at you from over the horizon.

I thought the reveal from the last trailer was going to be out first encounter cause it was crazy dramatic. But yeah. I wonder if we get that scene later.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

randombattle posted:

Having done all the medical platform stuff I'm not sure there's more doors on other struts.

If you land on the top LZ of the first Command Platform, follow the walkway to the back. It leads to a door, and when you try to walk up to it, it will make a "locked" noise There are similar-looking doors around, but none of them make that noise.

I also just checked, and there's one at R&D as well. It's on the black platform to the right of where you start the target practice. Again, it's locked for me.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

So how many chapters are there? I've spent 30 hours mostly doing story missions and I just finished chapter 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KaptainKrunk posted:

So how many chapters are there? I've spent 30 hours mostly doing story missions and I just finished chapter 1.

I think there's 48?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Jesus, the servers are still down? I have yet to be able to connect once to import my GZ save. It's 4 in the drat morning, Konami! :argh:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I have been playing this game for 32 hours and just beat chapter 1

:eyepop:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

can you still get the gz stuff if you import your save after starting a new game in mgs5?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rhycool posted:

I'm having too much fun dicking around with emblems. Game owns.

Dre's getting sick of people asking for Detox.

That owns. :allears:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

a7m2 posted:

can you still get the gz stuff if you import your save after starting a new game in mgs5?

Yes, supposedly you can import at any time from the title screen.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Does anyone have a link to the screenshots of the tech tree? I'm getting antsy to know what random stupid poo poo is waiting down the line, and I'm too afraid to dig through reddit threads and whatnot.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a lot spanning pages and pages of menus so I wouldn't count on there being screenshots of it all.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So how does quiet's grenade ricochet ability work exactly?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Rhycool posted:

I'm having too much fun dicking around with emblems. Game owns.

Where did you extract Hootie Blowfish??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got a dumb question I just thought of: In the game's introduction, if you actually spend 3 days out in the field, do you get a non-standard game over? Or does the game throw its hands to the wind and say "ah screw it they're in the open world now time means nothing" like in most games with a day/night cycle?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

CJacobs posted:

I've got a dumb question I just thought of: In the game's introduction, if you actually spend 3 days out in the field, do you get a non-standard game over? Or does the game throw its hands to the wind and say "ah screw it they're in the open world now time means nothing" like in most games with a day/night cycle?

It doesn't seem to be the case, i know i was worried about that too

I want to go explore this new world but Kaz is gonna die in 3 days :ohdear:

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
So if I do a side ops where I have to nab a skilled npc, can I just go back to the helicopter via the menu after I've fultoned him and the mission is done? Even if I'm in a the middle of a base? I'm worried the guy doesn't show up at the motherbase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SoulChicken posted:

So if I do a side ops where I have to nab a skilled npc, can I just go back to the helicopter via the menu after I've fultoned him and the mission is done? Even if I'm in a the middle of a base? I'm worried the guy doesn't show up at the motherbase?

Side-ops are over the moment you complete the objectives, it doesn't matter what you do after that.

• Locked thread